37 replies to this topic

#1 Fantasymaestro

Fantasymaestro

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

This is coming from a Roddy White owner, though he is in a special situation (being recently/currently injured.)
I was just wondering whether Revis Island is a legitimate hit to fantasy wrs. The Bucs as a team is basically neutral to wrs in fantasy.
So I am assuming that he covers the top wrs on each team. Here are the stats when against the Bucs vs. two other closest games.

Weak 10: Against the Dolphins: Do they even have a top wr? Mike Wallace (week 8) 4.9, (week 9) 8.2, (week 10 against Revis) 1.5

Weak 9: Against the Seahawks: Golden Tate, a legitimate wr2. Week 8: 21.3 Week 9: 2.9  Week 10: 16.6

Ok so as of now, there is an obvious problem with being on Revis Island. Now the data gets more confusing

Week 8: Against the Panthers: Steve Smith, a wr3: Week 7: 12.9 Week 8: 4.2 Week 9: 5.2
Not too much of a drop

Week 7: Against the Falcons: Harry Douglas, a high end wr2  Week 6 Week 7: 20.9 (best game of the year for him.)Week 8: 12.1

Week 6: Against the Eagles: Desean Jackson, the first legitimate wr1: Week 5: 19.2 Week 6: 18.4
Week 7: 2.1

So there are two ways to look at this data, one is thatafter week 7, the Buccaneers approached defense differently. Another is that, Revis does not change too much against top wrs. What do you guys think?
11-1 10 team ESPN mixed

C-Lucroy 1B-Moss 2B-Kipnis SS-Hanley 3B-Beltre 1B/3B-Donaldson 2B/SS-Alexei LF-Trout CF-Gomez RF-Cruz OF-Polanco OF-Cespedes Util-Frazier

Bench-Rios, Gennett, Butler, Kendrick, Dickerson
DL-Yelich

SP-Cueto, Wainwright
P-Cueto, Arietta, Gray, Buehrl, Alvarez
RP- Richards, Kuechel

Settings

HR-1 TB-1 RBI-1 R-1 K- -.5 SB-2 CS- -1 Grand Slam-2

IP-1.5 ER- -2 W-4 L -4  BB- -1 SO- 3 HB- 1 HR allowed- -1 NH-5 PG-7

#2 Warriornation

Warriornation

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

Look at other options.
Week  15 Starting Lineup! SEMI-FINALS!!!!!
10-Team 0.5PPR League
QB1: Philip Rivers
RB1:Jamaal Charles
RB2: LeSean McCoy
WR1: Larry Fitzgerald
WR2: Keenan Allen
TE: Julius Thomas
Flex: Leveon Bell
DST: Kansas City Chiefs
Kicker: Alex Henery
IDP: Lavonte David
Bench: RB: Ray Rice WR: Torrey Smith TE: Dennis Pitta QB: Andy Dalton DST: Cleveland, Detroit

#3 mverkruyse

mverkruyse

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:56 AM

Revis was confusingly playing zone coverage until week 8:

Greg Schiano said the coaching staff has "looked hard" at using Darrelle Revis in man coverage more going forward.
Now saddled with an 0-7 record, Schiano has had a groundbreaking revelation. "We need to make sure we're accentuating our best players, putting them in the best position to make plays better than we have," he said. Of course, the entire football universe been appalled by the egregious misuse of Revis so far this season. The Bucs gave up the 13th overall pick in the draft for Revis, gave him a six-year, $96 million contract and then put him in zone. They didn't even give him a chance to put anyone on Revis Island. The next five No. 1 receivers Tampa will face are Golden Tate, Mike Wallace, Roddy White (if healthy), Calvin Johnson and Steve Smith. Oct 29 - 10:25 AM

He hasn't faced a true WR1 type talent in that timeframe, but as you showed the top WRs in those last few matchups have had very quiet games. The only time a Revis island matchup is a good thing is if it's Calvin Johnson, because frankly, trying to 1:1 him is foolish.

#4 Fantasymaestro

Fantasymaestro

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

View Postmverkruyse, on 16 November 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

Greg Schiano said the coaching staff has "looked hard" at using Darrelle Revis in man coverage more going forward.
Now saddled with an 0-7 record, Schiano has had a groundbreaking revelation. "We need to make sure we're accentuating our best players, putting them in the best position to make plays better than we have," he said. Of course, the entire football universe been appalled by the egregious misuse of Revis so far this season. The Bucs gave up the 13th overall pick in the draft for Revis, gave him a six-year, $96 million contract and then put him in zone. They didn't even give him a chance to put anyone on Revis Island. The next five No. 1 receivers Tampa will face are Golden Tate, Mike Wallace, Roddy White (if healthy), Calvin Johnson and Steve Smith. Oct 29 - 10:25 AM

He hasn't faced a true WR1 type talent in that timeframe, but as you showed the top WRs in those last few matchups have had very quiet games. The only time a Revis island matchup is a good thing is if it's Calvin Johnson, because frankly, trying to 1:1 him is foolish.

That's very interesting. There was a definite drop off after week 7.
I had just assumed, REvis would be 1 on 1. I don't understand why they wouldn't have always played man coverage.
11-1 10 team ESPN mixed

C-Lucroy 1B-Moss 2B-Kipnis SS-Hanley 3B-Beltre 1B/3B-Donaldson 2B/SS-Alexei LF-Trout CF-Gomez RF-Cruz OF-Polanco OF-Cespedes Util-Frazier

DL-Yelich

SP-Cueto, Wainwright
RP- Richards, Kuechel

Settings

#5 nonstopfan

nonstopfan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

Asking about the effect that Revis Island have on WR's is like asking is the Earth round.

#6 Evilbooyaa

Evilbooyaa

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostFantasymaestro, on 16 November 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

View Postmverkruyse, on 16 November 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

That's very interesting. There was a definite drop off after week 7.
I had just assumed, REvis would be 1 on 1. I don't understand why they wouldn't have always played man coverage.

Because the Bucs are dumb as hell. That's why. They have learned since week 7 or 8 to put their players in positions to possibly win them a damn ball game. Revis Island is back to being a thing now.
My motto for Fantasy Football: Don't get involved in Shanahanigans.

12 Team Standard PPR league: QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, TE, R/W/T Flex.
Week 15 (Playoffs!):
QB: Kaepernick,
RBs: Stacy, Murray, L. Bell,
WRs: A. Brown, Garcon, K. Allen, Gordon, Patterson
TE:,J. Thomas, Pitta
K:  Hartley
DEF:  CAR/KC/BUF

#7 AshesAndLaughter

AshesAndLaughter

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

I saw a couple of reports early on that Revis's knee wasn't 100%. He couldn't explode when the WR broke free, which is critical when playing man to man coverage.

"Earlier in the year, I didn't have the explosion to play press; the receiver would just run the (vertical) 9-route on me and I didn't have the stamina to do that play in and play out, especially playing press," Revis said, per the Tampa Tribune.

"... I'm starting to get that back now, which is awesome because I like to be in receivers faces and try to put my hands on them and try to be physical with them," he added.

source: NFL.com,

Schiano added, "He's one of the best to ever play the position. He knows what he can and can't do and that's kind of how we've gone with it since he's arrived.''

Source: ESPN.com

Revis said, "I'm getting back to myself. The last game (against the Carolina Panthers), I pressed Steve Smith every chance I got. So I'm getting there. It's a process. I've just got to keep on strengthening my leg and getting stronger."

Source: FOXSports

Edited by AshesAndLaughter, 16 November 2013 - 01:14 PM.

Rotoworld League: 14-team 0.5 PPR.
Check out the thread in "Your League" Forums. Thread: "2014 Rotoworld Mock Real League"

Draft Day: July 25th, 12pm CST. Be there.

QB:
RB1:
RB2:
WR1:
WR2:
W/R/T:
W/R/T:
TE:
DEF:
K:

Bench:

#8 djbigf

djbigf

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

I think that if you're considering starting any falcons that your season is probably over.
10 team league:  (std scoring/flex)

QB Newton, Wilson
RB McCoy, McFadden, Sproles, Stacy, Ellington, Ball, Cunningham, Johnson
WR AJGreen, Marshall, TSmith, Patterson
TE Olsen, Walker
K Succop
D Bills

#9 SpartanEric

SpartanEric

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:35 PM

Since they went to man coverage, Revis Island is a legit threat to any WR.  However it will be put to the ultimate test next week when TB rolls into the motor city and Revis gets to (hopefully) attempt to cover Tron'

#10 Fantasymaestro

Fantasymaestro

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

View Postdjbigf, on 16 November 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

I think that if you're considering starting any falcons that your season is probably over.

Haha, I am 8-2, and while I own two Falcons and used to own 3, this wasn't about Roddy White (I have Welker, Bryant, Hilton, Garcon ahead of him. I was just prompting a discussion of how Revis affects fantasy
11-1 10 team ESPN mixed

DL-Yelich

SP-Cueto, Wainwright
RP- Richards, Kuechel

Settings

#11 Fantasymaestro

Fantasymaestro

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

View PostSpartanEric, on 16 November 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

Since they went to man coverage, Revis Island is a legit threat to any WR.  However it will be put to the ultimate test next week when TB rolls into the motor city and Revis gets to (hopefully) attempt to cover Tron'

I don't think anyone can cover Tron one on one. The wide receiver always has the advantage in the NFL, so best cb on best wr isn't really fair. You can cover Tron perfectly and he will catch it because he is 6'5
11-1 10 team ESPN mixed

DL-Yelich

SP-Cueto, Wainwright
RP- Richards, Kuechel

Settings

#12 djbigf

djbigf

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

View PostFantasymaestro, on 16 November 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

Haha, I am 8-2, and while I own two Falcons and used to own 3, this wasn't about Roddy White (I have Welker, Bryant, Hilton, Garcon ahead of him. I was just prompting a discussion of how Revis affects fantasy
Bryant's on bye.  If you weren't thinking of starting Roddy you wouldn't've asked the question.

Edited by djbigf, 16 November 2013 - 01:38 PM.

QB Newton, Wilson
TE Olsen, Walker
K Succop
D Bills

#13 floridamach1

floridamach1

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

View Postdjbigf, on 16 November 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

Bryant's on bye.  If you weren't thinking of starting Roddy you wouldn't've asked the question.

Okay, stop being a troll. I considered White this week too. Looks like you drafted McFadden so practice what you preach.

I think a healthy Revis is enough to make for an automatic sit.
12- team H2H 6 x 6 (OBP, HR, R, RBI, Steals, XBH, QS, ERA, WHIP, Ks, K/BB, SvHd)
10- team Roto 5 x 5 standard cats
20- team Roto 6 x 6 (OBP, HR, R, RBI, Net Steals, XBH, QS, ERA, WHIP, Ks, K/BB, Net Saves)

And my teams are good.

#14 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostSpartanEric, on 16 November 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

I don't think anyone can cover Tron one on one.

Pre injury Revis actually shut him down back in 2010.

http://espn.go.com/n...ameId=301107008

Revis never really had trouble with big WRs.  Ted Ginn's speed and Stevie Johnson are the only two that I saw give Revis any trouble pre
Injury.

#15 djbigf

djbigf

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

View Postfloridamach1, on 16 November 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

Okay, stop being a troll. I considered White this week too. Looks like you drafted McFadden so practice what you preach.
I'm not starting a separate thread about his hamstring.

QB Newton, Wilson
TE Olsen, Walker
K Succop
D Bills

#16 Fantasymaestro

Fantasymaestro

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

View Postfloridamach1, on 16 November 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

I think a healthy Revis is enough to make for an automatic sit.

1. This is not about my team

2. I was not going to start him obviously

Let's say I play Welker and Garcon. Would anyone in their right mind start Roddy white over Hilton or Woodhead

As hard as it is for you to believe, I asked a question to gain knowledge not as a start/sit.
11-1 10 team ESPN mixed

DL-Yelich

SP-Cueto, Wainwright
RP- Richards, Kuechel

Settings

#17 screaming_vultures

screaming_vultures

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

Love how this is being brought up week 11 and the guy is claiming that its not a veiled AC question.
Baseball - Yahoo - 12 team - H2H - 11 Cat(R/HR/RBI/SB/AVG/OPS/W/SV/K/ERA/WHIP)

Hitters
C Miguel Montero
1B Freddie Freeman
2B Daniel Murphy
3B Edwin Encarnacion
SS Mookie Betts
IF Adam Lind
OF1 Shin-Soo Choo
OF2 Melky Cabrera
OF3 Nick Markakis
OF4 Kole Calhoun
Util Anthony Rendon
DL Michael Cuddyer, Joe Mauer
Pitchers
SP: Félix Hernández, Zack Greinke, Michael Wacha, Johnny Cueto, Tanner Roark, Matt Cain, Rick Porcello, Alfredo Simon, Michael Pineda, James Paxton
RP: Trevor Rosenthal, Greg Holland, Jonathan Papelbon, Joe Smith, Jenry Mejia

#18 Fantasymaestro

Fantasymaestro

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

View Postscreaming_vultures, on 16 November 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

Love how this is being brought up week 11 and the guy is claiming that its not a veiled AC question.

I honestly did NOT put this out as an AC question, I probmise you guys. I wouldn't have put out any stats if it was.
This is my Team. As you can see I did not start Roddy White, and since I am not insane, I will not start him over Garcon
http://games.espn.go...5&seasonId=2013

This was just me wondering what the affect of a lockdown cornerback is on a wide receiver in fantasy. how much does it affect his value. this honestly isn't about me at all
11-1 10 team ESPN mixed

DL-Yelich

SP-Cueto, Wainwright
RP- Richards, Kuechel

Settings

#19 Evilbooyaa

Evilbooyaa

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:43 AM

You are so defensive right now, OP. You're better off just letting it go and moving on with your life.
My motto for Fantasy Football: Don't get involved in Shanahanigans.

12 Team Standard PPR league: QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, TE, R/W/T Flex.
Week 15 (Playoffs!):
QB: Kaepernick,
RBs: Stacy, Murray, L. Bell,
WRs: A. Brown, Garcon, K. Allen, Gordon, Patterson
TE:,J. Thomas, Pitta
K:  Hartley
DEF:  CAR/KC/BUF

#20 ajs723

ajs723

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip