Jump to content

Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

End gaming: Planning for the Playoffs


  • Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Skoodog

Skoodog

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Austin, TX
  • Interests:Driving Porsches with Paul Walker

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

Hey folks,

We are coming into the home stretch and for some of us this is the last week we can trade before playoffs begin, so I wanted to start a conversation about both teams who have playoffs fairly locked up, players who are fighting for that last spot, and teams who's season didn't go as expected.

Main Discussion Points:
- Stud Benching:  who of the top players will be benched as a result of keeping said players fresh for playoffs and avoiding injury?
- Strength of Schedule:  Now that we have a pretty good idea on defensive prowess, is it worth trading for a lesser guy with a better schedule?  Who in the middle tier of players looks to have the best schedule?
- Buying Long-Term:  For those in dynasty leagues, is there value in selling a top performer for guys who might make a serious impact next year, or picks in next year's stacked draft?

Post away!
Legend has it...they don't check on the weekends...

#2 mrko1990

mrko1990

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

My team just locked up a playoff spot after this week in one of my many leagues! It's a 20 team, 4 division league 1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE/RB flex spot, 2 WR/TE/RB/QB flex spot... I am now 9-1 and after this week I will be 10-1, the only thing I am fighting for is the number one or number two seed "only 6 teams make the main playoffs!" Right now I am now in 1st place and have been for the last 7 weeks. I played the 2nd place team this week and whipped his team back into shape, I beat him 200 to 130, his team is 8-2 & now 8-3 and he will be tied with 4 other teams at 8-3 with 3 weeks to go.. I already have a win penciled in for week 14.. So I believe I got the number seed locked up but you can never be so sure! So the worst I can finish is 11-3 tied with those other 3 teams. The funny part is half my team is from the WW! ;~D The trade deadline already passed last Friday so, there is no need for that.
10 team, standard scoring, 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB, 1 DEF, 1 K T. Brady QB NE
T. Gerhart RB JAX
T. Richardson RB IND
D. Bryant WR DAL
D. Thomas WR DEN
R. Gronkowski TE NE
A. Jeffery W/R CHI
S. Hauschka K SEA
49ers DEF SF

J. Gordon WR CLE
J. Cutler BN CHI
L. Miller BN MIA
C. Michael BN SEA
Z. Ertz BN PHI
J. Hill BN CIN

#3 Evilbooyaa

Evilbooyaa

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

I can't think of any team that is going to stud bench in week 16. Broncos/Chiefs are both going to be fighting for the division lead.

Maybe the Seahawks (4 games up in the W column)
Colts ( 3 games up in the W Column)
Cinci (3 games up in the W Column)
Pats (possibly 3 games up if they win tonight)

As for dynasty leagues - if you're making the playoffs with a solid team, I'd go for gold this year. Obviously if you're not making playoffs, dump someone for a high round pick in prep for next year.
My motto for Fantasy Football: Don't get involved in Shanahanigans.

12 Team Standard PPR league: QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, TE, R/W/T Flex.
Week 15 (Playoffs!):
QB: Kaepernick,
RBs: Stacy, Murray, L. Bell,
WRs: A. Brown, Garcon, K. Allen, Gordon, Patterson
TE:,J. Thomas, Pitta
K:  Hartley
DEF:  CAR/KC/BUF

#4 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,367 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

View PostSkoodog, on 18 November 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

- Buying Long-Term:  For those in dynasty leagues, is there value in selling a top performer for guys who might make a serious impact next year, or picks in next year's stacked draft?


I'm only going to touch on point 3 since I think the first two points vary so much from owner to owner.   I don't think this draft is as stacked as many people are making it out to be.   It's very quarterback heavy which is great for the NFL but doesn't mean much for fantasy as QB is already a stacked position when it comes to FF.\

Like last year, there really aren't many over the top skill position players coming out.   Most of the first round(as of now) will be taken up by offensive linemen and defensive players.  So now your looking at Sammy Watkins, Marquise Lee, and Mike Evans as probably the only non QB offensive players in the first round(maybe a TE sneaks in)

I don't even think you will see many non defense/OL player go in the second round.  This is a very weak class IMO outside of QB.
Team 1: 12 Team Keeper 1pt PPR. 5 per TD. 1 per 20 passing

QB: Cutler,Big Ben
RB: Gerhart, Sankey, B.Pierce, Terrance West, James White, Chris Polk
WR:Calvin, AJ Green, Julio(Flex), M. Floyd(Flex), J. Hunter, D. Baldwin
TE: Kyle Rudolph

#5 FML

FML

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,713 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostEvilbooyaa, on 18 November 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:


Maybe the Seahawks (4 games up in the W column)


They only have a 1.5 game lead on the Saints so their week 12 matchup is huge. If Seattle wins, they could working in other guys to keep their studs like Lynch fresh.
12 Team, 6 PT Passing TD, PPR

QB: Rivers, McCown
RB: Lacy, Ball, Stacy, Spiller, J.Bell
WR: White, T.Smith, Wayne, J. Matthews
TE: Gates
K: Gostkowski
DST: Patriots

#6 Dr. Whom

Dr. Whom

    All-Time Great

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,146 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Trolling in your emo thread

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

Load up your benches with backup RB from good running teams
Some of my favorite bands:

Animals as Leaders
Tomahawk
Cynic
Gojira
Sepultura (Max-era)

None of that emo garbage

#7 Cfused

Cfused

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

What defenses are you guys looking to hold onto for the playoffs
12 man league - NON PPR
1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1K, 1DEF

QB: Matthew Stafford, Tony Romo
RB: Jamaal Charles, Alfred Morris, Roy Helu, Kendall Hunter
WR: Jordy Nelson, Roddy White, Keenan Allen, Kenbrell Thompkins
TE: Jimmy Graham, Jermichael Finley
DEF: KC
K: Who cares

#8 djbigf

djbigf

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostFML, on 18 November 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

View PostEvilbooyaa, on 18 November 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

Maybe the Seahawks (4 games up in the W column)


They only have a 1.5 game lead on the Saints so their week 13 matchup is huge. If Seattle wins, they could working in other guys to keep their studs like Lynch fresh.
FTFY

seachickens are on bye next week
10 team league:  (std scoring/flex)

QB Foles, RGIII
RB Lynch, Murray, Foster, Ridley, Miller, Ingram, Stewart
WR Cobb, VJackson, TSmith, Benjamin, Bowe
TE Cameron, Walker
K Tucker
D Panthers

#9 vinnyw28

vinnyw28

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostEvilbooyaa, on 18 November 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

I can't think of any team that is going to stud bench in week 16. Broncos/Chiefs are both going to be fighting for the division lead.

Maybe the Seahawks (4 games up in the W column)
Colts ( 3 games up in the W Column)
Cinci (3 games up in the W Column)
Pats (possibly 3 games up if they win tonight)

As for dynasty leagues - if you're making the playoffs with a solid team, I'd go for gold this year. Obviously if you're not making playoffs, dump someone for a high round pick in prep for next year.

Indy, Cinci and the Pats will be fighting for the #2 seed behind Den/KC.

#10 mjb03003

mjb03003

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,481 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

I think you should definitely look to consolidate 2 very good players for 1 stud whenever possible, even if it means "losing the deal" because you end up "overpaying."

I hate having a really deep squad but no sure-fire studs in my lineup in the playoffs. It just leads to me second-guessing every roster spot and ultimately you always leave some points on the bench.

I want as many top 10 options as possible locked and loaded in my lineup when the chips are down.

As far as looking at matchups vs. looking at the best player, I lean towards best player, but if you're looking at the #6 overall RB vs. the #8 overall RB and the #8 overall has a cake matchup while the #6 has some tougher games, I'll take the guy with the better schedule. Better schedule doesn't always translate to better points but it works as a tiebreaker.

Here's the guys I've been targeting for the fantasy playoffs all season based on their schedules:

QBs: Cutler/McCown, RG3, Rodgers, Foles, Romo, Rivers
WRs: DeSean, Calvin, Torrey, Dez, Marshall/Jeffery, Garcon, Jordy
RBs: Lacy, Spiller (ugh), Forte, Morris, Murray, McCoy, Gio, Moreno, Rice?
TEs: Gronk, Witten, Gates, Julius Thomas...
10 team 2-QB, PPR, IDP, Auction dynasty
QB1 - Peyton Manning, QB2 - Colin Kaepernick
WR1 - Keenan Allen, WR2 - Cordarrelle Patterson
RB1 - LeSean McCoy, RB2 - Matt Forte
TE - Dennis Pitta
W/R - Giovani Bernard
W/T - Michael Crabtree
Bench - Kendall Wright, Ladarius Green, ___________, ___________, ___________

DB1 - Harrison Smith, DB2 - Kenny Vaccaro, DB3 - Earl Thomas
DL1 - Cameron Wake, DB2 - Carlos Dunlap, DL3 - ____________
LB1 - Lavonte David, LB2 - Paul Posluszny, LB3 - Paul Worrilow
D Flex - _____________
Bench - Tyrann Mathieu, ___________, ____________, ___________

#11 mikeflavaz

mikeflavaz

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:37 AM

Pick up your playoff defense(s) now.  I like New Orleans personally and they are available in most leagues.  They have a pretty easy schedule in weeks 14-16 (StL, Car, TB.)  They've also been super hot on defense so I'd make N.O. my priority.

#12 BananaJoeMontana

BananaJoeMontana

    Triple-A

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:40 AM

My Fantasy playoffs are from week 14-17, I am horrified that Brees could potentially take the last game of the season off, Carolina's win last night could help, but its anything but certain that they will be fighting for anything in 17...

#13 jstep13

jstep13

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

*
POPULAR

View Postmrko1990, on 18 November 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

My team just locked up a playoff spot after this week in one of my many leagues! It's a 20 team, 4 division league 1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE/RB flex spot, 2 WR/TE/RB/QB flex spot... I am now 9-1 and after this week I will be 10-1, the only thing I am fighting for is the number one or number two seed "only 6 teams make the main playoffs!" Right now I am now in 1st place and have been for the last 7 weeks. I played the 2nd place team this week and whipped his team back into shape, I beat him 200 to 130, his team is 8-2 & now 8-3 and he will be tied with 4 other teams at 8-3 with 3 weeks to go.. I already have a win penciled in for week 14.. So I believe I got the number seed locked up but you can never be so sure! So the worst I can finish is 11-3 tied with those other 3 teams. The funny part is half my team is from the WW! ;~D The trade deadline already passed last Friday so, there is no need for that.

This may be the highest word count I have ever seen that does absolutely nothing to help this thread.

#14 Woonga24

Woonga24

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

lol

#15 ipg46

ipg46

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Dumpster Diving

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

The Packers have a great schedule for their offense. And with Rodgers out right now, you might be able to buy low on some of their weapons, especially from teams that have like 5 or 6 wins and need to win now to make the playoffs and will give up players like Jordy, Rodgers, Jones, Boykin, maybe even Lacy, who's seeing 8-man fronts and is getting crushed.

Even if Rodgers comes back a week late (14 instead of 13), you'll be fine. And when he comes back, they will be full throttle to make the (real) playoffs.

The other thing I'd say is make sure you have the handcuffs for all your stud RBs, even if you have to trade a WR3/RB3-with-upside for them.
Yahoo League (Champion!) (10-3 record / 1st in Standings & Points) (12-teams / QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLX, K, DEF, IDP / 6 pts all TDs / 1 point=50 pass yards or 15 rec yards or 10 rush yards): Peyton Manning, Arian Foster, Eddie Lacy, LeVeon Bell, Giovani Bernard, Ben Tate, Montee Ball, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Greg Jennings, Julius Thomas, Karlos Dansby, Arizona D.

ESPN League (Runner Up!) (9-4 record / 1st in Standings & Points) (12-teams / QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLX, K, DEF / 4 pts pass TDs; 6 pts all others / 1 point=20 pass yards or 10 rec yards or 10 rush yards): Aaron Rodgers, Ryan Tannehill, Jamaal Charles, Matt Forte, MJD, Marques Colston, Wes Welker, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Michael Bush, James Starks, Knile Davis, Antonio Gates, Mason Crosby, Bengals D.

#16 Garrett W.

Garrett W.

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NY

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

View Postmjb03003, on 18 November 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

I think you should definitely look to consolidate 2 very good players for 1 stud whenever possible, even if it means "losing the deal" because you end up "overpaying."

I hate having a really deep squad but no sure-fire studs in my lineup in the playoffs. It just leads to me second-guessing every roster spot and ultimately you always leave some points on the bench.

I want as many top 10 options as possible locked and loaded in my lineup when the chips are down.

As far as looking at matchups vs. looking at the best player, I lean towards best player, but if you're looking at the #6 overall RB vs. the #8 overall RB and the #8 overall has a cake matchup while the #6 has some tougher games, I'll take the guy with the better schedule. Better schedule doesn't always translate to better points but it works as a tiebreaker.

Here's the guys I've been targeting for the fantasy playoffs all season based on their schedules:

QBs: Cutler/McCown, RG3, Rodgers, Foles, Romo, Rivers
WRs: DeSean, Calvin, Torrey, Dez, Marshall/Jeffery, Garcon, Jordy
RBs: Lacy, Spiller (ugh), Forte, Morris, Murray, McCoy, Gio, Moreno, Rice?
TEs: Gronk, Witten, Gates, Julius Thomas...

Just did this and pushed my chips all-in during the last week. May end up regretting it, but have never won the championship in my league.

Moved Torrey Smith, Jason Witten and Stevan Ridley (who were on my bench) for Welker, and then turned around this week and dealt Andre Brown, Shane Vereen (on my bench) and Welker for Brandon Marshall and McFadden. Essentially moved Torrey, Ridley, Brown, Vereen and Witten for Marshall and McFadden. Not a deal I would have made even two weeks ago, but things change.

Leaves my RBs susceptible to an injury in the playoffs... but in the same vein, guys playing on the bench won't win me a championship. I feel comfortable relying on the guys I have to close it out with Forte, Lacy and a desperation play with McFadden if one of those guys is hurt.

Our trade deadline is this Wednesday; I feel like if you work all year to build depth on your bench, now is the time to take advantage of teams who haven't and may be desperate for some wins in W13 and 14.
10-team keeper

C Devin Mesoraco
1B Anthony Rizzo
2B Anthony Rendon
3B Aramis Ramirez
SS Jimmy Rollins
OF Giancarlo Stanton
OF Billy Hamilton
OF Evan Gattis
Util Justin Morneau

Bench: C Devin Mesoraco

DL: SS Troy Tulowitzki

SP: Madison Bumgarner, David Price, Sonny Gray, Homer Bailey, Alex Wood, Chris Archer
RP: David Robertson, Hector Rondon, Jenrry Mejia, Santiago Casilla, Jake Petricka

#17 owenmills

owenmills

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,796 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

View Postjstep13, on 19 November 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

View Postmrko1990, on 18 November 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

My team just locked up a playoff spot after this week in one of my many leagues! It's a 20 team, 4 division league 1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE/RB flex spot, 2 WR/TE/RB/QB flex spot... I am now 9-1 and after this week I will be 10-1, the only thing I am fighting for is the number one or number two seed "only 6 teams make the main playoffs!" Right now I am now in 1st place and have been for the last 7 weeks. I played the 2nd place team this week and whipped his team back into shape, I beat him 200 to 130, his team is 8-2 & now 8-3 and he will be tied with 4 other teams at 8-3 with 3 weeks to go.. I already have a win penciled in for week 14.. So I believe I got the number seed locked up but you can never be so sure! So the worst I can finish is 11-3 tied with those other 3 teams. The funny part is half my team is from the WW! ;~D The trade deadline already passed last Friday so, there is no need for that.

This may be the highest word count I have ever seen that does absolutely nothing to help this thread.

I'm sure he meant to post it in the CSB thread but botched the execution. Accidents happen

#18 Kosavibez

Kosavibez

    Triple-A

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

Just started streaming kickers 2 weeks ago, and plan on doing so through playoffs.  It's a pretty entertaining gamble week to week.

I mean, are there actually any reliable kickers out there that you can just set and forget for playoffs?
First year in a fantasy league....having a blast

14 man standard league

QB P. Rivers
WR D. Jackson - E. Decker - P. Garcon
RB CJ Spiller - Z. Stacy
TE: V. Davis
FLEX: T. Williams
K: D. Akers
D/ST: Seattle

BN RB J. Starks - BJGE - D. Johnson
BN QB C. Keenum
BN TE G. Graham
BN WR M. Brown

#19 Chargergirl

Chargergirl

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:San Diego,

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

Does anyone know if a trade deadline is the deadline to start a trade or complete a trade?

My NFL league has a 2-day waiver review period, so does that mean the review period has to be over before the deadline?  Thanks.
Team #1: 12 team, no PPR, QB/2RB/2WR/TE/Flex/DEF/K  11th pick, $ league
Record: 12-1
QB--Stafford
RB--Morris, Tate, Vereen, Rainey, Mathews, Bernard, Gerhart
WR--Bryant, J. Gordon, V. Jackson
TE--Cameron
K--Tucker
DEF---Chiefs, Cardinals

#20 owenmills

owenmills

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,796 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

View PostChargergirl, on 19 November 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

Does anyone know if a trade deadline is the deadline to start a trade or complete a trade?

My NFL league has a 2-day waiver review period, so does that mean the review period has to be over before the deadline?  Thanks.

It's the deadline for the trade to be accepted. It can process after the deadline if there's a waiting period. I had one do that in yahoo




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users