#1 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

Does someone meet Cano's asking price?

Sources have informed Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York that free agent second baseman Robinson Cano is still seeking a 10-year contract worth $310 million.

That's what Cano asked of the Yankees just before this year's All-Star break. New York declined and Cano is highly doubtful to land that record-smashing sum on the open market, but it doesn't hurt to ask. The 31-year-old hit .314/.383/.516 with 27 home runs and 107 RBI in 160 games this summer. He's being represented by Roc Nation Sports and Jay-Z is expected to be intimately involved in his contract negotiations.

Source: ESPN New York
Nov 18 - 2:39 PM

#2 No Curry For You

No Curry For You

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

Who ever is stupid to pay him 31m a year deserves everything they get.

#3 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,069 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

As a fantasy player I'm worried about his ethic if he gets a contract like that. I'd rather get Kipnis round 2.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#4 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

For once I want to see everyone dismiss the agents crazy demands to the point where the player is still waiting on an offer 2 weeks from ST. Then, settle. Then know not to be stupid.

#5 FantasySportsEnthusiast

FantasySportsEnthusiast

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:49 AM

He probably knows that he won't be getting that $310 million but his agents will try to reach some "middle" ground with the Yankees and eventually end up with a $230-240 million deal which is too much anyway.

From a fantasy perspective, I really hate deals that will very likely be the last of a player's career. Just raises the incentive concern that another poster mentioned. Will he be as driven as prior years when he knows that he is guaranteed all that money? Will probably stay away because Kipnis is definitely someone I like going into next season and of course because Cano will go top 5-6.

#6 FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:18 AM

I have zero against Cano, and I'm sure he'll put together very good '14-'15 campaigns. BUT, I think any team willing to sign a dude north of 30 to a 200+ million dollar deal doesn't have a clue. These deals don't work out, period. You wanna argue? Look at history.

Robbie will probably play 2nd base for a couple more years and transition to 1B or DH, you can count on .300, a nice OBP, 20-30 HRs depending on park, 100/100 depending on lineup, decent D, no speed for two years. After that I don't see him being much more than an average 1B/good DH numbers wise.

My guess, Yankees will get him for 200 something million. I just don't see a team willing to pay more than them as the negotiations go on.

Edited by FearTheBeard, 19 November 2013 - 05:19 AM.

#7 sandman0803

sandman0803

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

Can we just talk about Jay Z being directly involved in these talks? Would it be worse than Boras?
Too many teams to put here...

#8 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

jay-z is his agent. no pro baseball team wants to deal with a guy who made music stories to make millions. cano isn't worth that at all. only guy in all of the MLB or even sports that might be worth that is mike trout. jay-z needs to retire from all he does or keep lying to teenagers.

#9 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

Albert Pujols signed his 10 year $240 million contract 2 years ago (prior to his age 32 season).

Albert had 3 MVP awards and 10 Top 5 finishes in MVP voting. Cano has zero MVP awards and 4 Top 5 finishes.

Cano is a perennial A.S. but he's not in the same class as Albert who is already a lock for the HOF.
  • damana likes this

#10 Chubbles

Chubbles

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

Add in the steroid problems for his best friend and you have all the red flags you need.
16 Team 10 Player Keeper (2013 Champion!!!!!)
Hitters: Molina, Davis, Tulowitzki, Pedroia, Beltre, Ellsbury, Puig, Kemp, Melky, Prado, Russell, Reyes, Hill, Grandal, Josh hamilton, Morneau

Pitchers: Wainwright, Fernandez, Bumgarner, Hamels, Lincecum, Ventura, Chavez, Kazmir, Bauer, Mejia, Britton

#11 Baseball Jonze

Baseball Jonze

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

Cano reach free agency in a bad year - nobody has the money to throw at him that he's looking for, he'll go back to the Yanks but probably at 40-50M less than he would have made 1-2 years ago as an FA. I say he gets 10 year $210M from the Yankees.I bet there will be a strict void clause for any performance enhancing drug use in it as well.

Edited by Baseball Jonze, 19 November 2013 - 01:44 PM.

I don't care who is on your fantasy team.

#12 Chubbles

Chubbles

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

Yanks have been pretty open about not going to 10 years and I agree with them 100%. No way I lock into one guy for that long even if it's at a discount to his asking price.
16 Team 10 Player Keeper (2013 Champion!!!!!)
Hitters: Molina, Davis, Tulowitzki, Pedroia, Beltre, Ellsbury, Puig, Kemp, Melky, Prado, Russell, Reyes, Hill, Grandal, Josh hamilton, Morneau

Pitchers: Wainwright, Fernandez, Bumgarner, Hamels, Lincecum, Ventura, Chavez, Kazmir, Bauer, Mejia, Britton

#13 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,459 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

Yanks have been pretty open about not going to 10 years and I agree with them 100%. No way I lock into one guy for that long even if it's at a discount to his asking price.

Guess the Yankees learned their lesson after locking up A-Roid for 13 years...

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me

That I live and you are gone.

There's a grief that can't be spoken.

There's a pain goes on and on.

#14 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:05 AM

For once I want to see everyone dismiss the agents crazy demands to the point where the player is still waiting on an offer 2 weeks from ST. Then, settle. Then know not to be stupid.

No way. This isnt the 1960's the players have all the power. Hell get his pay. It wont be 300 million, but hell get close to, if not a bit over, 200.

#15 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,023 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:50 AM

Buyer beware, you are getting a .222 career post season hitter with a .686 OPS. This guy has failed numerous times in key clutch situations. I would not even come within 150 million of his asking price if I was an MLB team. Hope teams start boycotting these stupid demands and making these players sit out or take shorter deals.

#16 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,586 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:19 AM

for half a billion dollars you can lock up robinson cano and ervin santana
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#17 Mikewastaken

Mikewastaken

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

As a Yankee fan I hope they go to 7/170 max. It kind of sounds like they're ready to play hardball too. They know he won't get $310 or anywhere close, and have signaled they aren't going to wait for him before going after other pieces. And they need a lot of pieces. If he wants more than 7 years (which I think is too many, really) or north of $200 then it's adios Robbie, and happy trails.

That said from a fantasy perspective I still think he's .310, 25+hr 100 RBI next year, and the year after, and the year after that.
@mikewastaken

C: Perez/Mesoraco | CI: E5/Goldy/Abreu/Seager | MI: H. Ramirez/Bogaerts/Wong/Rendon | OF: Braun/Jones/McCutchen/Soriano/Blackmon/Kalhoun
SP: Waino/Minor/Gray/Archer/Masterson/Wheeler/Peralta/Smyly | RP: Perkins/Soria | Minors: Bryant/Gausman

#18 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

after pujols and hamiltons half a billion dollar waste more teams are not wasting money like they have. they still are so not quite as much. let roc nation and jay-z ruin this guys contract.

#19 LAWLOO

LAWLOO

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

Like ballfan4141 just eloquently stated, teams are going to think twice before giving out such lucrative contracts. Cano is a bimbo for asking for a $310M 10 year contract. He is most likely going to end up getting a 7 year contract for approximately $230M. I'd say theres a good chance that he ends up going to the Yankees, even though they just signed Ellsbury, since they aren't concerned about the luxury tax.

#20 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,586 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

If he signs with the Mariners, he has to fall out of round 1. While I think he probably gets drafted in round 2, I'm probably not taking him there. A 2b who doesnt steal and has a real shot to hit below 20 home runs on a bad offense? This is a pretty huge deal in fantasy. I think he becomes neck and neck with Pedroia.

In 2013 he hit 16 on the road and 11 at home

But 2012 11/22 (road/home)
2011 12/16
2010 13/16

Keep in mind though that the road was a lot better too playing in Boston, Toronto, and Baltimore

Outside of Texas, the other ballparks are awful for hitters.

Edited by brockpapersizer, 05 December 2013 - 05:09 PM.

FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users