23 replies to this topic

#1 tstinger

tstinger

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:25 AM

So I realize that Hockey falls significantly behind NFL, MLB and NBA in the States, but I figure there has to be at least a little bit more interest in Fantasy Hockey than what is currently shown. Is this a case of people lurking and waiting for their being others to post, or is it a lack of interest and I'm waisting my time.

The other forums are SO valuable for Fantasy anyone want to join in making an effort to get hockey that way as well?
  • Bruin17 likes this
Help me get the Hockey Forum active!

#2 misterj

misterj

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

It's funny but being an avid fantasy basketball and hockey manager I find that I spend much more time analyzing basketball news/stats/this forum than I do for hockey. Hockey just seems easier to follow and predict or something, I check scores and read rotoworld blurbs and watch games when I have the time and that does the trick pretty well. For basketball I feel much more inclined to stay on top of waiver wire pickups and the hot hand so more time gets spent on these forums/checking stats/news etc. If others share the same feeling I could see why a forum wouldn't be as healthy.
8-team/8-CAT Keeper (Keep 3):

PG: Curry, Conley, Walker, Teague
SG: Butler, Oladipo
SF: Batum, Harris, W. Chandler
PF: A. Davis, T. Young, Hawes
C: P. Gasol, Sanders, Drummond

#3 FUM

FUM

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

View Posttstinger, on 21 November 2013 - 02:25 AM, said:

So I realize that Hockey falls significantly behind NFL, MLB and NBA in the States, but I figure there has to be at least a little bit more interest in Fantasy Hockey than what is currently shown. Is this a case of people lurking and waiting for their being others to post, or is it a lack of interest and I'm waisting my time.

The other forums are SO valuable for Fantasy anyone want to join in making an effort to get hockey that way as well?

I have thought the same thing for many years about these forums, but the thing with hockey is, it's much more predictable then the other sports.  Everyone drafts pretty much all the forwards on each team's top 2 lines and you just play them.  You hope you get the least amount of injuries and that's it.

It's a combination of that and its popularity, while growing in the US, just pales in comparison to the other 3 big team sports.
Rotoworld Forums' Official Badass with 6 warning points.

Most of what I post is for giggles. Please do not take me seriously when I'm venting about a pitcher that just got bombed or a hitter in a 2 for 20 slump. It's all for effect and trying to make all my fellow rotoheads chuckle, so don't be "that guy", yeah you know what I'm talking about.

#4 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,871 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

The strikes have really killed a lot of the interest level in the sport. I blame Bettman for the failings of this forum/
  • gdon and phatrat like this
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#5 gdon

gdon

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

I hear what you guys are saying.  As a Canadian I use the football and baseball forums here much more too because the expert level opinions I can't find anywhere else.   This may be a chicken/egg situation but I know several other forums where hockey is the featured topic and the "experts" are there.  Rotoworld blurbs and articles are good in hockey but unlike football and baseball it's not the main focus.  It really comes down to numbers and I don't find people using rotoworld for hockey so the forums don't attract a lot of people.  I find this year seems to be busier but nothing like the basketball or football and it comes down to that's where the interest is.  Hopefully if everyone (myself included) keeps posting we can get some good conversations and start to build an audience...but really I think the case here is not as many people interested and there are other options  for hockey fanatics.

#6 NYR Fan 116894

NYR Fan 116894

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,590 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

I was thinking about this as well, and it is really unfortunate that hockey isn't more talked about on these forums. It's my #1 sport, just love watching it.

I think dzemens brought up a great point with Bettman. Probably one of the main reasons why this is the case.
Adam Brown (Fearless)=Hero. May you never be forgotten.

#7 ddude

ddude

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

it is unfortunate, but nothing you can really do if the league isn't as well marketed

#8 ShivaBlaster

ShivaBlaster

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:32 AM

Because most of the people on Rotoworld are American, and they don't know hockey like we do up North. Plenty of awesome fantasy hockey forums based out of Canada......I love RW for bball and football (sports americans are generally more knowledgeable about), but I don't even look at the hockey forums here, they are useless.

Edited by ShivaBlaster, 09 December 2013 - 02:33 AM.

• gdon likes this

#9 th3ory

th3ory

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

View Postdzemens, on 29 November 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

The strikes have really killed a lot of the interest level in the sport. I blame Bettman for the failings of this forum/
Couldn't be further from the truth.  Backed by attendance and revenue.
  • gdon likes this

#10 slainte

slainte

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

this is my first year playing in a fantasy hockey league. ..big time flyers fan. wasn't really maintaining my team for a while with fantasy football and other things going on. i really stopped following my team once my first overall pick went down (stamkos).

i love the sport and i normally try to catch every flyer's game, but this year my interest kind of tapered off after they fired lavy. not saying it was the wrong move. . .just realized i needed a little break after getting emotionally involved every year for so long. so that may have had something to do with me not popping in here right away, even though use this site for both football and baseball leagues that i'm in.

another thing is my unfamiliarity with roto-based scoring. this hockey league is my first roto league. even the baseball leagues i'm in are h2h pts leagues.

hopefully, you'll see me in these forums more often now that i just cleaned up my roster a bit and i started watching flyers' games again (will be watching tonight's game).

a good deal of people i know only watch the nhl during playoffs. . .
  • gdon likes this

#11 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:48 AM

I used to LOVE NHL hockey...the strikes just put me off completely.  Done and done.
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#12 brad_leonard89

brad_leonard89

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:23 AM

Yeah the popularity for fantasy hockey just really isn't there. I play hockey. Just about all of my friends play and watch hockey. So I thought, "hey, getting a fantasy league together WHERE EVERYONE IS COMPETITIVE should be easy right?" WRONG. Maybe 6 out of the 10 guys in my league are actually making moves and acknowledging their team but even they don't focus on fantasy sports like I do. I've made 34 moves in my league this year. The next guy down: 9 moves. I'm in 2nd in that league and still rising. 5th in my other league and rising rapidly. This is really my second year getting competitive with any kind of fantasy sports but it just seems like guys don't really care about winning. They don't even have to get on the computer. Everyone has a smart phone for the most part!? SET YOUR LINEUPS. Sorry. LIttle bit of a rant there, but I do agree that hockey just doesn't get as much focus down here like we'd like it to. It has nothing to do with the strike. The NHL is as strong as it's ever been (stronger perhaps?).
  • gdon likes this

#13 slainte

slainte

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

i think one thing that would help hockey would be getting rid of the all-star game. honestly, i enjoy watching the skills competition more than the actual game, so they should definitely keep that.

another thing that has me concerned is the decision to host additional outdoor games outside the winter classic. i can appreciate teams out west wanting to host outdoor games, so let them host the winter classic. main reason for limiting it is to keep it a bit more 'special' as opposed to saturation. . .

#14 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

That and the Dead Puck Era is back.

Those factors have sunk my interest in the sport.

#15 NYR Fan 116894

NYR Fan 116894

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,590 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

Some interesting reads on the state of hockey:

http://sports.yahoo....20461--nhl.html

http://sports.yahoo....-171014576.html

Maybe hockey is growing?
  • gdon and brad_leonard89 like this
Adam Brown (Fearless)=Hero. May you never be forgotten.

#16 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:57 AM

I think the biggest thing hurting hockey in general is the fact that the NHL isn't on ESPN. Not because ESPN was ever great at covering it, but they at least acknowledged the NHL when they did the games. The casual sports fan watches ESPN out of habit....not because the content is any good.....and nowadays, unless there is something out of the ordinary (like the outdoor games for example), anytime ESPN does bring up the NHL is usually because there is a punchline somewhere in there.

Someone mentioned it a few posts above mine, but I also thought I would hate the oversaturation of the outdoor game. It's easy to see why the NHL is doing it though.....the games get better ratings on TV and it's obviously a draw. The two Yankee Stadium games this past week did over 50,000 each, and I can tell you as a Devils fan who attended one of the games, it wasn't just because 'the Rangers were in the game' (even though there were plenty of Rangers fans at both games, fwiw).....the Devils and Isles had never been in an outdoor game before, so both fanbases were jacked up for it. The ice held up well in the game in Dodger Stadium and the fans there seemed to be into it from what I saw on TV. I would imagine that the Chicago game next month will the Blackhawks and Penguins will sell out Soldier Field if it hasn't already. Bottom line....they're going to continue to do the outdoor games as long as there is a demand for tickets for it, and the NHL isn't dumb enough to give you Coyotes-Panthers at Marlins Park.
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

Twitter: @MrJaredMoore

#17 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:07 AM

View PostMy Dinner With Andre, on 18 January 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:

That and the Dead Puck Era is back.

Those factors have sunk my interest in the sport.

I'm not sure that's it....scoring is about on par as it has been the last few years, while shots against are up. I think it's a combination of a few factors.....

1. Penalties are down in general, and I doubt that's because players are committing less fouls. They're just calling fewer of them.
2. Save percentage is as high as it's ever been since they've been keeping track. I would credit some of that to the size of the equipment, and some of that to the fact that there's a lot of very good goalies today.
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

Twitter: @MrJaredMoore

#18 ShivaBlaster

ShivaBlaster

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

....becuase American hockey fans are hiding in shame after failing to medal and getting torched 5-0 my Finland.  Ouch.

#19 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

View PostShivaBlaster, on 22 February 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

....becuase American hockey fans are hiding in shame after failing to medal and getting torched 5-0 my Finland.  Ouch.

Surely the reason for the failures of the hockey forum on RW for the entire duration of the RW forums is the lack of success of the United States national hockey team in the past week.

Fantasy Hockey has never been a big game because more than half the country doesn't have hockey on television on any regular basis and it doesn't stack up as well for fantasy as other sports in general.  During said game today, the announcers made a large deal about when Teemu Selanne scored 76 goals in an NHL season.  The fact that even the top seasons of all time aren't even producing a goal a game is really going to limit the appeal of fans who only know one or two guys a team.  Even when I lived in Michigan and watched hockey regularly, I didn't know who half the guys in the owned pool were if it weren't for fantasy hockey.  The coverage is weak and it's really hard to fill in the blanks.

#20 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,871 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

View Postnickalero99, on 22 February 2014 - 10:36 PM, said:

View PostShivaBlaster, on 22 February 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

Surely the reason for the failures of the hockey forum on RW for the entire duration of the RW forums is the lack of success of the United States national hockey team in the past week.

Fantasy Hockey has never been a big game because more than half the country doesn't have hockey on television on any regular basis and it doesn't stack up as well for fantasy as other sports in general.  During said game today, the announcers made a large deal about when Teemu Selanne scored 76 goals in an NHL season.  The fact that even the top seasons of all time aren't even producing a goal a game is really going to limit the appeal of fans who only know one or two guys a team.  Even when I lived in Michigan and watched hockey regularly, I didn't know who half the guys in the owned pool were if it weren't for fantasy hockey.  The coverage is weak and it's really hard to fill in the blanks.

The lack of coverage is the key. Before the first strike under Bettman the NHL was actually coming on strong with TV and ratings, then the strike happened, TV coverage disappeared and things fell off from there. Its a shame really as the NHL is relegated to fringe coverage now on networks that arent carried by basic cable packages. For the fans who want it, NHL Center Ice is fantastic on Directv, but thats not the norm. Add to that the fact that ESPN for all practical purposes completely ignores the NHL in Sportscenter etc and it doesnt help. If the NHL could get itself a half way decent TV deal with ESPN coverage and another national network for Sundays, etc it would go a long way to helping fantasy, this forum and hockey in general. Now ESPN just shovels a bunch of college basketball coverage down peoples throats.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users