118 replies to this topic

#1 yort1919

yort1919

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

Can we expect great things from Iwakuma again this year? Predicted numbers please...thanks
“Baseball was, is and always will be to me the best game in the world.”- Babe Ruth

#2 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

Buried in the big headlines today is Iwakuma won't throw for 4-6 weeks per Rotoworld. This almost definitely puts him out for Opening Day.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#3 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

and back into the pool you go ... thanks for 2013 Hisashi!

#4 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

Sign Ervin!

#5 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

Excellent. This means he WILL be on my team. I'll be interested in reading up on the injury, but at least it is not shoulder or elbow. Not saying you want your hand to be hurting, considering he makese his living off of that, but this injury doesn't seem too bad. Will create a nice opportunity to snag him late. I'm buying on that basis.

#6 WARrate

WARrate

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

Iwakuma is a 2013 Cy Young finalist. He is a very good pitcher and will be just good next season.

#7 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

View PostRed Sox Nation, on 12 February 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

Excellent. This means he WILL be on my team. I'll be interested in reading up on the injury, but at least it is not shoulder or elbow. Not saying you want your hand to be hurting, considering he makese his living off of that, but this injury doesn't seem too bad. Will create a nice opportunity to snag him late. I'm buying on that basis.

I'll meet you halfway on the Value Train. When a dude throw 23% splitters, I'm sorta worried about the hand. Are we talking those ligaments between the pointer and middle finger? If so, I'm going to put my raincoat on in case it starts to pour bad news.

#8 Komfy

Komfy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Apparently the strained tendon is in his middle finger.

#9 Komfy

Komfy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

According to Mariners beat writer Ryan Divish:

Iwakuma said he injured the finger when it got caught in the netting of a protective screen during an offseason workout. Iwakuma doesn't meet with doctor for three weeks. Hopes to be ahead of schedule to start throwing sooner than expected.

#10 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,526 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

Doesnt sound that serious.  4-6 weeks from now?  Looking like what Mid to middle-late part of March.  Maybe first start is off the table, but I would think that would be about it from that timetable.  Certainly not anything that should knock his value too much (though for many it will).
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#11 Mexi1024

Mexi1024

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

View PostKomfy, on 12 February 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

According to Mariners beat writer Ryan Divish:

Iwakuma said he injured the finger when it got caught in the netting of a protective screen during an offseason workout. Iwakuma doesn't meet with doctor for three weeks. Hopes to be ahead of schedule to start throwing sooner than expected.

<_<  just pathetic........ as if the Mariners need any worse luck for their franchise.....

#12 MugsyBogues

MugsyBogues

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

Time to let everyone in my league know about this injury come draft day. I'd love to roster him again this year. Sadly, he won't be rostered w a 16th round pick like last season. Oh well. I'd probably give a 8th for him if available (12-teamer).

#13 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

View Postparrothead, on 12 February 2014 - 04:45 PM, said:

Doesnt sound that serious.  4-6 weeks from now?  Looking like what Mid to middle-late part of March.  Maybe first start is off the table, but I would think that would be about it from that timetable.  Certainly not anything that should knock his value too much (though for many it will).

Not throwing a baseball for 4-6 weeks. Once he starts throwing he will probably need 3-4 weeks. We are 6 weeks away from Opening Day. if he starts throwing at the shorter end at 4 weeks, probably still out through mid April. If its longer (which I suspect it will be because they won't rush). So conceivably he will be out until something like mid April to mid May.

#14 MugsyBogues

MugsyBogues

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:55 PM

View PostSidearmer, on 12 February 2014 - 11:29 PM, said:

Not throwing a baseball for 4-6 weeks. Once he starts throwing he will probably need 3-4 weeks. We are 6 weeks away from Opening Day. if he starts throwing at the shorter end at 4 weeks, probably still out through mid April. If its longer (which I suspect it will be because they won't rush). So conceivably he will be out until something like mid April to mid May.

Stinks for Kuma, but great for H2H. I don't need him in April or May. Would love to see him slide down the board.

#15 XanderFan60

XanderFan60

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

View Postbbythepier, on 12 February 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

View PostRed Sox Nation, on 12 February 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

I'll meet you halfway on the Value Train. When a dude throw 23% splitters, I'm sorta worried about the hand. Are we talking those ligaments between the pointer and middle finger? If so, I'm going to put my raincoat on in case it starts to pour bad news.

What a freakish injury -- right up there with Pavano busting his spleen shoveling snow and Glenallen Hill's spider nightmare. I think Kuma will put up fine numbers again this year. I agree with bbythepier -- my only hesitation is the fact that he injured his middle finger. If he throws that many splitters, he might have trouble gripping the splitter for a while.
10-Team (11 teams in 2015), 4x4 AL only league: 20+ years of fun!

C: B. McCann, J. Pinto
1B: M. Moreland
3B: K. Seagar
Corner Infielder: 3B M. Machado
2B: D. Ackley
SS: E. Aybar
Middle Infielder: X. Boegarts
OF: A. Jones, D. Jennings, W. Myers, M. Brantley, G. Springer
UTIL: M. Aviles
SP: Y. Darvish, CJ Wilson, D. Strailey, C. Archer, T. Skaggs, R. Ross
RP: J. Nathan, Joe Smith, Sean Doolittle

Reserves: C F. Cervelli, OF M. Choice, SS A. Russell, SP K. Gibson, 2B Micah Johnson, RP A. Albuquerque

#16 kidtwentytwo

kidtwentytwo

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

View PostXanderFan60, on 13 February 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

What a freakish injury -- right up there with Pavano busting his spleen shoveling snow and Glenallen Hill's spider nightmare. I think Kuma will put up fine numbers again this year. I agree with bbythepier -- my only hesitation is the fact that he injured his middle finger. If he throws that many splitters, he might have trouble gripping the splitter for a while.

Marcus Giles going on the DL ironing his clothes is a good one too
Everybody panic

#17 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

View Postkidtwentytwo, on 13 February 2014 - 08:20 PM, said:

View PostXanderFan60, on 13 February 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

Marcus Giles going on the DL ironing his clothes is a good one too

Mat Latos went on the DL after a hard sneeze one season.

Then there's always the Felix Pie and Kaz Matsui injuries in the worst area.......

#18 Oriole Way

Oriole Way

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,421 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:04 AM

And what happens if the tendon hasn't healed in six weeks, or he has a setback, and he winds up needing surgery?

I'll let other teams take the risk this season.

#19 CanadianSportsJunkie

CanadianSportsJunkie

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik said that Hisashi Iwakuma's finger injury "might not be as serious as we originally thought."
Iwakuma was diagnosed on February 12 with a strained tendon in the middle finger of his throwing hand and given a 4-6 week timetable to return. However, it sounds like there's a chance he could be back sooner. "Any injury to a pitching hand is serious," Zduriencik cautioned. "This one might not be as serious as we originally thought, which is a positive but we really won’t know that until he starts throwing a baseball." Iwakuma will have his finger re-examined on March 3.

That's a positive doesn't mean a lot right now but better then bad news! I need him in my weak SP lineup
16Team Keeper League. Keep 10 no cost. Current 12 out of 16
R, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB , AVG, OPS
W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, QS, HLD

C- Jason Castro
1st- Brandon Belt
2nd- Josh Harrison
3rd- Lonnie Chisenhall
SS- Erick Aybar
LF- Melky Cabrera
CF- Bryce Harper
RF- Oscar Taveras
UTIL- Kevin Kiermaier
Bench- Mookie Betts, James Jones

SP-  Drew Hutchinson, Jimmy Nelson, Trevor Bauer, Jeremy Hellickson, Carlos Carrasco, Roenis Elias, Jeremy Guthrie, Scott Feldman
RP- Danny Farquhar, Ken Giles, Eric O'Flaherty

NA - Matt Davidson
DL-  Masahiro Tanaka, Jurickson Profar, Jedd Gyorko, Matt Moore, Prince Fielder

#20 oswald737

oswald737

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

He could return value this year. Lot of non-believers + those frightened by the injury. Still a top 30 starter without question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users