31 replies to this topic

#1 GPWMC

GPWMC

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:00 AM

As I'm sure most of you know, Bon Jovi wants to bring the Bills to Toronto.

http://www.theglobea...rticle15581107/

As a Torontonian myself, I would literally give up a pinky toe for this to happen. Not trying to say my pinky toe is worth USD 2 Billion, but it has immeasurable sentimental value to me and would be a significant sacrifice. I would even sell my Ravens jersey and pledge alegiance to our new team.

The only cities bigger than Toronto in America are LA and NYC. Yes LA doesn't have a team, but they at least got their chance. That size comparison btw doesn't count the fact that the 4th biggest city in Canada (Mississauga) is RIGHT BESIDE Toronto, and the Greater Toronto Area has at least 4 million people.

Do you guys think this can happen? I agree with the article that the most likely person to do the deal would be Rogers. He's got the skrill (money), and the drive. The Rogers family has been dedicated to bringing sports to Toronto and the Bills would be their greatest achievement.

#2 Gryfter

Gryfter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:36 AM

but...NYers would lose the only pro football team that actually plays in the state of NY...
14 Team .5 PPR FLEX $$$ League (1st round exit)
QB: Romo
RBs: Bush, Stacy
WRs: Gordon, K.Allen
TE: Z.Miller
FLEX: Mathews
Kicker: Vinatieri
Defense: Carolina, Detroit
Bench: Gio, Percy, Cooper, Crabtree, Gronkowski(IR)

14 Team .5 PPR FLEX $$$ League (2013 Champion)
QB: Luck
RBs: Stacy, Gore
WRs: Dez, Garcon, C.Patterson
TE: Olsen
FLEX: J.Grimes
Kicker: Prater
Defense: Denver
Bench: Campbell, Ridley, A.Brown, B.Tate, D.Johnson

#3 Rather B. Winning

Rather B. Winning

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

In my lifetime I've had my team stolen from me and received my current team the same way.  I prefer the latter!

But get rid of your Ravens jersey?  THAT is unacceptable!
All hail the World Champion Baltimore Ravens!!!

#4 Spicoli56

Spicoli56

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:35 AM

No one even showed up for the game the last two years. It seems the fan base is lukewarm at best. Football is an American sport, other countries aren't interested. Besides, if there is any real fan base doesn't Canada already have its own league? Makes no sense. It would fail in the same way football teams fail in LA. Sure there's a lot of people there but not enough of those people give a damn.

Edited by Spicoli56, 05 December 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#5 Evilbooyaa

Evilbooyaa

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

http://bit.ly/1cd3Pow

They already got a football team, man. It'd be like having a MLB and minor league team in the same city. move the argonauts first out of toronto, then we can talk.
My motto for Fantasy Football: Don't get involved in Shanahanigans.

12 Team Standard PPR league: QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, TE, R/W/T Flex.
Week 15 (Playoffs!):
QB: Kaepernick,
RBs: Stacy, Murray, L. Bell,
WRs: A. Brown, Garcon, K. Allen, Gordon, Patterson
TE:,J. Thomas, Pitta
K:  Hartley
DEF:  CAR/KC/BUF

#6 PaullyK1980

PaullyK1980

Just Drafted

• Probationary Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

^^ You don't know what you're talking about. The NFL could easily put a team in London(UK) and it would thrive. On another note, I live in Canada and the CFL is unwatchable football because there are only 3 downs and it totally kills the game IMHO…plus we only have 8 teams that play each other 47 times a season.

Edited by PaullyK1980, 05 December 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#7 GPWMC

GPWMC

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostSpicoli56, on 05 December 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

No one even showed up for the game the last two years. It seems the fan base is lukewarm at best. Football is an American sport, other countries aren't interested. Besides, if there is any real fan base doesn't Canada already have its own league? Makes no sense. It would fail in the same way football teams fail in LA. Sure there's a lot of people there but not enough of those people give a damn.

You're not wrong, those are the historical arguments. - but to be honest, I feel they're innacurate.

Toronto has a huge NFL fanbase, especially among young people. I can't speak for the older generations entirely, however something I've noticed is that older Torontonians, typically those that matured from the 60's to 80's, seem to have some loyalty to the Bills.

Ironicly, Toronto really doesn't do well with the Bills game because of our immense and diverse support for other teams. I was at the Seahawks game last year (that did very well) and noticed a lot of green jerseys in the stands (although in fairness Vancouverites favor the Seahawks). If you brought the Seahawks v. Broncos, I promise you that thing would draw a crowd; and there are a lot of other team combinations that could do so as well. Canada's favorite team is the Patriots apparently (http://canada.nfl.co...te-nfl-teams-2/).

We have a boat-load of young people playing fantasy football, I hear mid-30's people at work talking about how "football sunday is apparently the thing nowadays" (direct quote from the mystery voice behind my cubicle).

Only problem with Toronto is that we've never had a team to unite behind (at least one we want to unite behind). Buffalo is an enemy in the NHL, so we're certainly not going to start cheering for them ubiquitously any time soon, primarily because they're not good enough to overcome our hockey-driven rivalry.

Bring us our own team, and I guarantee you'd consider one for Vancouver shortly after.

Edited by GPWMC, 05 December 2013 - 12:31 PM.

#8 posty

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,124 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostPaullyK1980, on 05 December 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

^^ You don't know what you're talking about. The NFL could easily put a team in London(UK) and it would thrive. On another note, I live in Canada and the CFL is unwatchable football because there are only 3 downs and it totally kills the game IMHO…plus we only have 8 teams that play each other 47 times a season.

CFL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NFL

#9 kennyx

kennyx

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostSpicoli56, on 05 December 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

Would cheer for a team that you had absolutely no stake in, that hasnt made the playoffs in over 10years, and isnt close to making the playoffs this year (and probably the next?)

It's easy to bring in a crowd if there's talent and a winning team, and it's also easy to bring a crowd if the home team has a stake in it.   But why does Toronto really care about Buffalo?
Not sure where you live, but do you think your city would be able to draw up a large crowd if two losing teams from outside of where you lived came to play?
10 Team Keeper League | 0.5pts PPR

QB: (whatever's available and has the best matchup)
RB: Zac Stacy, Eddie Lacy, Knowshon Moreno, Montee Ball, Trent Richardson
WR: Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, DeSean Jackson, Josh Gordon, Keenan Allen, Randall Cobb
TE: Colby Fleener

#10 Evilbooyaa

Evilbooyaa

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:04 PM

Buffalo doesn't really have anything else besides the.... Sabres?

I don't know, I just don't see it happening.

As to the guy who got all annoyed at my CFL comment, should've put a 'sarcasm' thing in there. Where is this talk coming from? The bills played one game in Toronto, and all of a sudden people want it to be the Toronto Bills?

Week 15 (Playoffs!):

#11 smeeze

smeeze

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostEvilbooyaa, on 05 December 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

Where is this talk coming from? The bills played one game in Toronto, and all of a sudden people want it to be the Toronto Bills?

Ralph Wilson is 95.  There are several people who could afford to buy the team and have their sights set on Toronto.  It is the 4th largest sports market in North America.  To simply dismiss the discussion would be ignorant.
10 Team / H2H / 5x5

C Carlos Santana
1B Adrian Gonzalez
2B Brandon Phillips
3B Edwin Encarnacion
SS Starlin Castro
OF Ryan Braun, Jason Heyward, Melky Cabrera
UTIL Mike Napoli, Adam Eaton
BN Desmond Jennings, Dee Gordon, Billy Butler

SP Stephen Strasburg, Felix Hernandez, Chris Sale, Andrew Cashner
P Jordan Zimmermann, Matt Garza, Dan Straily, Drew Smyly
P Corey Kluber, Tanner Roark, Jenrry Mejia
RP Jim Henderson, Ryan Cook
DL Doug Fister
NA Archie Bradley

#12 Evilbooyaa

Evilbooyaa

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

View Postsmeeze, on 05 December 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

View PostEvilbooyaa, on 05 December 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

Where is this talk coming from? The bills played one game in Toronto, and all of a sudden people want it to be the Toronto Bills?

Ralph Wilson is 95.  There are several people who could afford to buy the team and have their sights set on Toronto.  It is the 4th largest sports market in North America.  To simply dismiss the discussion would be ignorant.

OK, I had to google this myself. Interesting story.

http://profootballta...ir-team-to-l-a/

It's from 2011, but these paragraphs are significant:

“When [92-year-old owner Ralph] Wilson is gone, all bets are off,” Sullivan writes.  “If he dies, the Bills would be at or near the top of any list for possible relocation.  Wilson has no known succession plan.  He plans to have the team auctioned to the highest bidder.  It’s hard to imagine the top bid coming from someone who intends to keep the Bills in this market.”
Even if the highest bidder has Buffalo roots, long-term earning potential will be much greater in Los Angeles.  Thus, the best hope for Bills fans would be a willingness to support a full-time move to Toronto, with maybe a game or two per year played in Buffalo.

That strategy presents two possible problems.  First, if the Bills are going to leave Buffalo, most fans would prefer that they leave.  If a guy is going to lose his wife, he’d prefer that she move in with a man who lives in another state, not in another house in the same neighborhood.  Second, Toronto will want its own team, not one to which the folks in Buffalo can claim partial ownership.

I take back what I said previously. Can't believe the owner of the Bills doesn't have family members to pass the team on to.

Week 15 (Playoffs!):

#13 owenmills

owenmills

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

Nice analogy by the writer. Comparing a move to Toronto to your wife leaving you and moving in with some dude across the street. That would be pretty annoying

#14 Royalsfan123

Royalsfan123

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

Toronto is a fair weather sports town probably worse than Atlanta. Checkout Blue Jays attendance. NFL would flop in Toronto. All they care about is the Leafs that's it

#15 smeeze

smeeze

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

View PostRoyalsfan123, on 05 December 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

Toronto is a fair weather sports town probably worse than Atlanta. Checkout Blue Jays attendance. NFL would flop in Toronto. All they care about is the Leafs that's it

The Raptors are currently 12/30 teams in average attendance this season.  The Blue Jays were 14/30 teams in average attendance this past season.  The Leafs are currently 5/30 in average attendance this season.  Don't present your ignorant misconceptions as fact.

Source(s):
http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance
http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance
http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance
10 Team / H2H / 5x5

C Carlos Santana
1B Adrian Gonzalez
2B Brandon Phillips
3B Edwin Encarnacion
SS Starlin Castro
OF Ryan Braun, Jason Heyward, Melky Cabrera
UTIL Mike Napoli, Adam Eaton
BN Desmond Jennings, Dee Gordon, Billy Butler

SP Stephen Strasburg, Felix Hernandez, Chris Sale, Andrew Cashner
P Jordan Zimmermann, Matt Garza, Dan Straily, Drew Smyly
P Corey Kluber, Tanner Roark, Jenrry Mejia
RP Jim Henderson, Ryan Cook
DL Doug Fister
NA Archie Bradley

#16 debrew81

debrew81

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

The mayor could wear a really ugly Bills tie from his collection.

#17 pdog109

pdog109

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

View Postsmeeze, on 05 December 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

The Raptors are currently 12/30 teams in average attendance this season.  The Blue Jays were 14/30 teams in average attendance this past season.  The Leafs are currently 5/30 in average attendance this season.  Don't present your ignorant misconceptions as fact.

Source(s):

Yeah but the leafs are the worst team of all 3, raptors are meh and blue jays are ok, you bring the suck of the bills and they'll be like yeah no im out bro.

#18 Royalsfan123

Royalsfan123

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

Source(s):

So when the Florida Panthers say they sold 17,000 Tickets to a game do you actually believe them? Typical Toronto sports fan mentality.

#19 mverkruyse

mverkruyse

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

View Postpdog109, on 05 December 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

Source(s):

Yeah but the leafs are the worst team of all 3, raptors are meh and blue jays are ok, you bring the suck of the bills and they'll be like sorry eh, but those Bills are worse than trying to deke a Tim Horton blow to the gut eh"

FYP

Edited by mverkruyse, 05 December 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#20 CL3VELANDBR0WNS

CL3VELANDBR0WNS

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

I am highly against moving a team out of their current city to another city. Especially a team as important as Buffalo. Jacksonville is a bit of a disgrace, that is an understatement, but I would be even against them moving.
I wouldn't be against a movement to go to 34 teams with one in LA and one is Toronto. Other than that, Jon Bovi can butt out.
The Offseason 2014 - Dynasty League - 1QB 2RB (4WR/1TE 2WR/3TE 3WR/2TE) 1K 1DT 1DE 2LB 1CB 1S
Standard Scoring - big play bonus - 30 man roster - 14 teams
QB - Robert Griffin III . Kirk Cousins , Ryan Mallett.
RB- Doug Martin, Gio Bernard, Jordan Todman.
WR- Percy Harvin, Cordarelle Patterson, DeAndre Hopkins, Jeremy Maclin, Danario Alexander, Stephen Hill, Andre Holmes, Marlon Brown, Kenny Britt, Markus Wheaton.
TE - Kyle Rudolph, Zach Ertz, Tim Wright, Adrien Robinson
K/S/CB- Vacant for the offseason
DT- Geno Atkins
DE- JPP
LB- Kiko Alonso
2014 Draft picks: 1.01, 1.06, 1.14, 2.01, 2.13.
I wake up everyday and pray Sammy Watkins does not end up a New York Jet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users