Jump to content

Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Houston Texans 2014 Season OutlookBill O'Brien


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 The Jesus

The Jesus

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

I don't know much about Bill O'Brien, but I do know that he has worked with Belichick and he's considered an offensive minded coach.  Can anyone speak to how good of an offensive guru he is?  Is he generally pass heavy?  Does he prefer RBBC?  What can we expect from guys like DeAndre, AJ, Foster and/or Tate next year?  A lot will depend on who is quarterback, and Bill O'Brien has already hinted at trading the #1 pick thereby not picking Bridgewater, but I just want to get an idea of what kind of coach he is.

Edited by The Jesus, 05 January 2014 - 04:09 PM.


#2 mpat15

mpat15

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

I am in the odd position of where I live about 30 minutes from state college and am a die hard texans fan.

You cannot typically judge things like RBBC, whos roles will change ect, based off there college games. Especially a guy who coached with lesser talent due to ncaa infractions placed on the university that were not of his own making.

Heres what to be excited about though.

He runs an offense that is typically pass first, but still gets his running backs 20 touches a game. In other words its pretty balanced. It leans towards a TE attack, his offense could support 2 fantasy TE's ala the Hernandez, Gronk Days. Trust me though Andre and Deandre will still get a chance to shine. O' Brien is sharp, he will take some risk.

The big question for this team is Cronnel. Typically he uses his interior D-lineman as run first block occupiers. Meaning Watt could be asked to sacrifice wrecking havoc for better team results. I dont however, see anyone on any staff being that stupid.

All in all, I think Houston has found a winner. Simple fact O'Brien had a winning record year one, where if not for sanctions he would have lead a team with 15 less scholarships to a play in game for the rose bowl. His second year he but his faith behind a freshman qb and again took a lower talent level team with less scholarships to a winning record.



#3 instant290

instant290

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,524 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Houston

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:41 AM

 The Jesus, on 05 January 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

I don't know much about Bill O'Brien, but I do know that he has worked with Belichick and he's considered an offensive minded coach.  Can anyone speak to how good of an offensive guru he is?  Is he generally pass heavy?  Does he prefer RBBC?  What can we expect from guys like DeAndre, AJ, Foster and/or Tate next year?  A lot will depend on who is quarterback, and Bill O'Brien has already hinted at trading the #1 pick thereby not picking Bridgewater, but I just want to get an idea of what kind of coach he is.

No he hasn't. McNair made some off hand comment about being open to trading the #1 pick, but everyone is always open to trading every pick, it is really not a story here. Bridgewater will impress in the combine and pro days as well as team interviews, and he will be a Texan come May, I would bet some serious money on it.

#4 Nguvocity

Nguvocity

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:50 AM

 instant290, on 06 January 2014 - 12:41 AM, said:

 The Jesus, on 05 January 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

I don't know much about Bill O'Brien, but I do know that he has worked with Belichick and he's considered an offensive minded coach.  Can anyone speak to how good of an offensive guru he is?  Is he generally pass heavy?  Does he prefer RBBC?  What can we expect from guys like DeAndre, AJ, Foster and/or Tate next year?  A lot will depend on who is quarterback, and Bill O'Brien has already hinted at trading the #1 pick thereby not picking Bridgewater, but I just want to get an idea of what kind of coach he is.

No he hasn't. McNair made some off hand comment about being open to trading the #1 pick, but everyone is always open to trading every pick, it is really not a story here. Bridgewater will impress in the combine and pro days as well as team interviews, and he will be a Texan come May, I would bet some serious money on it.

If Teddy separates himself from the rest of the QBs in the draft on the combine.  Texans is likely take him but I don't think Teddy will show anything "special".  But I think Bill will trade the 1st to get some draft picks and pick up an OT .  I think Schaub will have a bounce back year even though he is game manager and they will draft a prototype QB like David Carr, Zach Mettenberger or AJ MaCarron to develop behind Schaub.
12man Non-PPR
QB:Drew Brees
WR: Josh Gordon, Vincent Jackson, James Jones, Percy Harvin, Michael Crabtree
RB: Marshawn Lynch, Zac Stacy,Ryan Mathews, Giovani Bernard, Andre Ellington
TE: Jordan Reed,John Carlson
FLEX: (RB/WR/TE)
K: Ryan Succop
DEF: SF(streaming)
D: Sean Lee (Streaming)

#5 cs3

cs3

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

 mpat15, on 05 January 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:


He runs an offense that is typically pass first, but still gets his running backs 20 touches a game. In other words its pretty balanced. It leans towards a TE attack, his offense could support 2 fantasy TE's ala the Hernandez, Gronk Days. Trust me though Andre and Deandre will still get a chance to shine. O' Brien is sharp, he will take some risk.
so its a QB reliant, but RB friendly, TE dependent, WR heavy offense huh?
ok gotcha.

#6 munde53

munde53

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:47 AM

 cs3, on 06 January 2014 - 01:02 AM, said:

 mpat15, on 05 January 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

He runs an offense that is typically pass first, but still gets his running backs 20 touches a game. In other words its pretty balanced. It leans towards a TE attack, his offense could support 2 fantasy TE's ala the Hernandez, Gronk Days. Trust me though Andre and Deandre will still get a chance to shine. O' Brien is sharp, he will take some risk.
so its a QB reliant, but RB friendly, TE dependent, WR heavy offense huh?
ok gotcha.
So we can expect 2013 Broncos numbers out of the 2014 Texans.

#7 instant290

instant290

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,524 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Houston

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:12 AM

 Nguvocity, on 06 January 2014 - 12:50 AM, said:

 instant290, on 06 January 2014 - 12:41 AM, said:

 The Jesus, on 05 January 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

I don't know much about Bill O'Brien, but I do know that he has worked with Belichick and he's considered an offensive minded coach.  Can anyone speak to how good of an offensive guru he is?  Is he generally pass heavy?  Does he prefer RBBC?  What can we expect from guys like DeAndre, AJ, Foster and/or Tate next year?  A lot will depend on who is quarterback, and Bill O'Brien has already hinted at trading the #1 pick thereby not picking Bridgewater, but I just want to get an idea of what kind of coach he is.

No he hasn't. McNair made some off hand comment about being open to trading the #1 pick, but everyone is always open to trading every pick, it is really not a story here. Bridgewater will impress in the combine and pro days as well as team interviews, and he will be a Texan come May, I would bet some serious money on it.

If Teddy separates himself from the rest of the QBs in the draft on the combine.  Texans is likely take him but I don't think Teddy will show anything "special".  But I think Bill will trade the 1st to get some draft picks and pick up an OT .  I think Schaub will have a bounce back year even though he is game manager and they will draft a prototype QB like David Carr, Zach Mettenberger or AJ MaCarron to develop behind Schaub.

Once Teddy gets up to the blackboard for teams yes he will show just how special he is; the kid has the highest football IQ of any QB prospect in recent memory other than Andrew Luck. Bridgewater has been a #1 prospect for over a year, now people are just starting to overthink it. Texans need a franchise QB, Teddy is a franchise QB prospect, Texans will take him first overall...it's pretty simple.

Great article on Bridgewater here:
http://mmqb.si.com/2...2014-nfl-draft/

Schaub will not be a Texan any longer he will be cut to save cap space that we are in dire need of. Case Keenum will probably be kept around as well as signing another veteran QB for a minimum contract; a Charlie Whitehurst type guy...or maybe Matt Cassel if the Vikings are done with him.

O line is a big need for us, but we have two potential starters coming off IR next season in Williams and Quessenberry. Could be addressed in the second round, but there is some solid talent available in the 3rd and 4th rounds, so I could see going with BPA in the 2nd.

I would not be surprised if O'Brien snags ASJ at #33 to give Teddy a shiny new toy. He is the guy that engineered the Gronk/Hernandez offense in NE, and may want to start building the same foundation here in Houston. Also grabbing Jenkins gives us the opportunity to let Daniels and Graham walk and save us more money.

Foster will be the lead back for sure in 2014, assuming he doesn't get hurt before the regular season starts. His contract is too hefty for us to trade or cut him, so he will be around for at least another year. We can't afford Ben Tate so he will be gone, and Derrick Johnson didn't really impress in his opportunities. I would expect a RB to be taken maybe even as early as the 4th round.

Basically even though we have a lot of holes on defense, I expect this to be a pretty offensive heavy draft. We have the most hefty contracts on the offensive side of the ball, and Rick Smith has to start planning now how we are going to afford to resign Watt after his rookie contract is up...because lord knows we will have to pay him a fortune (and rightfully so)

#8 Sherlock

Sherlock

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

 Nguvocity, on 06 January 2014 - 12:50 AM, said:

 instant290, on 06 January 2014 - 12:41 AM, said:

 The Jesus, on 05 January 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

I don't know much about Bill O'Brien, but I do know that he has worked with Belichick and he's considered an offensive minded coach.  Can anyone speak to how good of an offensive guru he is?  Is he generally pass heavy?  Does he prefer RBBC?  What can we expect from guys like DeAndre, AJ, Foster and/or Tate next year?  A lot will depend on who is quarterback, and Bill O'Brien has already hinted at trading the #1 pick thereby not picking Bridgewater, but I just want to get an idea of what kind of coach he is.

No he hasn't. McNair made some off hand comment about being open to trading the #1 pick, but everyone is always open to trading every pick, it is really not a story here. Bridgewater will impress in the combine and pro days as well as team interviews, and he will be a Texan come May, I would bet some serious money on it.

If Teddy separates himself from the rest of the QBs in the draft on the combine.  Texans is likely take him but I don't think Teddy will show anything "special".  But I think Bill will trade the 1st to get some draft picks and pick up an OT .  I think Schaub will have a bounce back year even though he is game manager and they will draft a prototype QB like David Carr, Zach Mettenberger or AJ MaCarron to develop behind Schaub.

You can't expect Schaub to even be on this team next year, let alone have a bounce back season.
16 Team/ 9 Cat/ 4 UTIL/30 max moves

G: Conley | Teague | Collison | Korver | Hayward | Kendall
F: P. George | T. Jones | Millsap | Antetokounmpo | James Johnson
C: Splitter | Henson | Hill | Markeiff

#9 GreatScott!

GreatScott!

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Indiana

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

Schaub will be a back up next year, though I'm not sure he'll be a backup for the Texans.  I'd say that there is no way that the Texans would not go QB with their first pick, but this is the same team that went with Mario Williams instead of Reggie Bush many moons ago even though everyone though Reggie Bush was a no brainer #1 pick.
Dynasty 12 Team PPR League. 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, D/ST, K
QB - Matt Ryan
QB - Derek Carr
RB - Zac Stacy
RB - Joquie Bell
RB - Christine Michael
RB - James White
RB - Maurice Jones Drew
RB - Benny Cunningham
RB - Jonathan Stewart
WR - Calvin Johnson
WR - Alshon Jeffery
WR - Larry Fitzgerald
TE - Greg Olsen
K - Adam Vinateri
D/ST - Bears

#10 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

    All-Time Great

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,948 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

The thing about Bridgewater is that he won't measure great.  He's not that tall, although I think he'll be tall enough.  He has small hands.  He's light and has a narrow physique.  And he probably won't be ultra-strong.  He also isn't a hellacious athlete which may surprise some folks.  He does a ton of things well including his acumen, understanding defenses, is prepared and reportedly is a natural athlete, but will teams out think themselves?  What will Manziel do or measure and how will that occupy the situation?  There are some very loud Manziel critics out there but he's going to be in the mix of top draftees unless he bombs the rest of the offseason.

A long way to go until the Texans are officially OTC.....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

*********

#11 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:So Cal

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

A lot of teams will be high on Bridgewater, so much so that I think the Texans will have the option of trading out of the No.1 slot if they chose to. There are enough perceived elite players that several teams could be in the mix to try and trade up into the top 3 picks. I could easily see a scenario where the Texans trade down and pick up a couple of picks and still get a high upside QB prospect like Derek Carr, who would be a great fit in a pass first system by the way. If given the option, trading down would be the smart thing to do, especially with a draft as deep as this one.

Edited by pikerbkb, 07 January 2014 - 05:16 PM.

Tom Brady
Arian Foster
Stevan Ridley
Eddie Lacy
Zac Stacy
Ben Tate
Da'Dick Rodgers
Josh Gordon
Marcus Wheaton
Nuk
Ladarius Green



Dynasty non-ppr
12 Team
24 player roster
No position limits

#12 PackersFan1979

PackersFan1979

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

Carr is not a name anyone wants to see in Texas.

#13 CL3VELANDBR0WNS

CL3VELANDBR0WNS

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

 Whoremonger, on 07 January 2014 - 08:40 PM, said:

Carr is not a name anyone wants to see in Texas.
Plus, he is not an immediate starter. I think he needs development but I would take him over a career backup like McCaron as a 2nd or 3rd day pick.
I think Bridgewater is the immediate franchise starting QB and will be categorized with QBs who are not quite elite (Peyton, Brees, Luck, Cam) but very good like Kaep, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, etc.
I think Bortles and Manziel are starting caliber QBs but not great ones, definitely wouldn't think they would go first overall.
I really think that the first overall pick has to be Clowney or Bridgewater. If anyone else is even considered, I just don't think it's right.
If the Texans had a good QB, I think they would definitely go Clowney as I think he may be the best player available but the need is at QB.
14 tm non-ppr dynasty 30-man
QB- RG3, Carr
RB- Martin, Gio, Pierre, Bryce, Dunbar, Stewart, Grimes, Riddick.
WR- Josh Gordon, Sammy Watkins, Michael Floyd, Cordarrelle Patterson, DeAndre Hopkins, Kendall Wright, Justin Hunter, Kenny Britt, Mike Williams, Brian Quick, Marquess Wilson
TE- Gronk, Reed, Rudolph, Richard Rogers, Bostick, Brandon Williams, CJF, Demetrius Harris
LB-Mosley, Shazier
S- Cyprien
IR- Blackmon, Hunter, Alonso

#14 mpat15

mpat15

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

 cs3, on 06 January 2014 - 01:02 AM, said:

 mpat15, on 05 January 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:


He runs an offense that is typically pass first, but still gets his running backs 20 touches a game. In other words its pretty balanced. It leans towards a TE attack, his offense could support 2 fantasy TE's ala the Hernandez, Gronk Days. Trust me though Andre and Deandre will still get a chance to shine. O' Brien is sharp, he will take some risk.
so its a QB reliant, but RB friendly, TE dependent, WR heavy offense huh?
ok gotcha.

Haha, touche.

Sounds a little stupid. But OB ran a lot of 2 TE sets, got the ball to the rb's 20 times a game, but will have a WR going in the first round this year from PSU, and he took a team with 15 cut scholarships to a winning record with a true freshman qb.

In other words. I expect foster to be par for the course, if health, a back end rb1. Grahm/daniels (if around) could both have some fantasy relevance. Johnson wont be forgot about. And will see how whatever qb he takes develops.

Thats all : )

#15 predator_05

predator_05

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:49 PM

Is Ryan Fitzpatrick going to be their starting QB on week 1?
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#16 HTXMade

HTXMade

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

 predator_05, on 10 May 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

Is Ryan Fitzpatrick going to be their starting QB on week 1?
Its going to be between Fitz and Keenum.  More than likely it will be Fitzpatrick.  Savage will probably sit this year and develop under coach O'Brien

#17 TheToeStompers

TheToeStompers

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

 HTXMade, on 10 May 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

 predator_05, on 10 May 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

Is Ryan Fitzpatrick going to be their starting QB on week 1?
Its going to be between Fitz and Keenum.  More than likely it will be Fitzpatrick.  Savage will probably sit this year and develop under coach O'Brien

Not sure I'm gonna like AJ or Hopkins' outlook with those options.

#18 mmrodri

mmrodri

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

 TheToeStompers, on 10 May 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

 HTXMade, on 10 May 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

 predator_05, on 10 May 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

Is Ryan Fitzpatrick going to be their starting QB on week 1?
Its going to be between Fitz and Keenum.  More than likely it will be Fitzpatrick.  Savage will probably sit this year and develop under coach O'Brien

Not sure I'm gonna like AJ or Hopkins' outlook with those options.

Not that it's terribly predictive of his future success, but Fitz has made Stevie Johnson decent for years and last year he was fairly good with the Titans. He's not Peyton...or even Cutler...but he's good enough to make them worth a mid rounder and a flier, respectively.

I like these two QBs better than any rookie QB coming in and trying to learn the offense and how to play against NFL-level defenses every week.

#19 Gains

Gains

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:45 PM

Fitzmagic.

the amish canon

at least he did good on the wonderlic.

#20 PackersFan1979

PackersFan1979

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:58 PM

Whats everyones thoughts on them as a defensive unit this year?




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users