29 replies to this topic

#1 Ddam2013

Ddam2013

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

I saw a couple of these and thought I would get the ball rolling on this one. Offensively I don't think there is much for them to do. Foles is a top 5 QB, Shady is a top 5 RB and they had great O-Line play this year and that will only get better as Lane Johnson develops. D-Jax wants more money but there is no way he's going to get it and then they have Maclin and Cooper who are both free agents and they will probably sign at least one, I would prefer Maclin because he will cost about the same and has much more upside. At TE they may cut Celek leading to more opportunities for Zach Ertz. On defense hopefully they don't cut Cole , he's a good leader and played well, they have Barwin and Ryans who anchored the defense but their problem was the secondary (minus Boykin) so hopefully they spend their picks in the draft there. Anything I missed?

Edited by Ddam2013, 08 January 2014 - 09:01 PM.

Winning gold is simple, you just have to be the best in the world at it.

#2 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:02 AM

Superbowl trophies : Still 0
  • Boss Battle E likes this

#3 Boss Battle E

Boss Battle E

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:07 AM

Superbowl trophies : Still 0

Posted Image
  • WhatWouldDitkaDo likes this

Alliance of Sh*t Stompers (6-1) (2012 Champions, 2013 Champions)
QB: Jay Cutler, Tom Brady
RB: Matt Forte, Giovani Bernard, Kniles Davis, Andre Williams, Storm Johnson
WR: Dez Bryant, Randall Cobb, Golden Tate, Josh Gordon

TE: Austin Seferian-Jenkins,Clay Harbor
D/ST: Browns
IR: Eric Ebron

Touchdown Kings (4-3) - 1 Year Military League
QB: Aaron Rodgers, Brian Hoyer
RB: Joique Bell, Brandon Oliver, Jeremy Hill, Terrence West, Andre Williams, Steven Jackson
WR: Dez Bryant, DeAndre Hopkins, DeSean Jackson, Megatron, Malcolm Floyd
TE: Rob Gronkowski
D/ST: Redskins
K: Matt Prater
IR: Montee Ball

#4 Timmah!

Timmah!

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,200 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

Irrelevant trolling aside....

I like the prospects for 2014, the team started slowly overall, which was expected, but caught steam and achieved a lot more overall than was expected. A playoff appearance with a re-designed offense and work-in-progress defense was a nice surprise.

Safety has to be very high on the list of areas being addressed, more so than any other. OLB will be a need whether or not they move on from Cole; he's 31 and not getting any younger. Cedric Thornton was a nice find at DE, but they could probably use more there. Kendricks is thisclose to fully breaking out. It's coming. A couple friends have already thrown out Jarius Byrd as the target for the offseason. I could certainly dig that.

Offensively, they have an interesting situation at Wide Receiver. DJax is being DJax, Cooper broke out in a contract year, and you have the obvious questions about Maclin's health. I could see any combination of 1, 2 or 3 returning, I'm just not sure who it will be. Vick works as a backup, if he's true to his word that being one here is acceptable, then I say get it out of the way and get it done. Celek could go; his hands have always been inconsistent and while he's a solid blocker, so is James Casey who's got three more years left on the deal he signed last year. With Ertz being the wave of the future, I could see Celek moving on with the soph taking on a larger role.
SoB Tifo ~ AD FINEM FIDELIS ~ Bearfight Brigade

"Oh, you can't scare me, I'm stickin' to the Union!"

#5 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

They're the best team in there division...and this is a cowboys fan talking. They're offense is downright scary, and very complete. The studly o-line play in an underrated factor here. And Maclin coming back makes for a very nice tandem. Let cooper be the no3 which is where he should be.

Just draft defense, it got pretty bad at times last year, and ended up being the death of them.

#6 Ddam2013

Ddam2013

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

Irrelevant trolling aside....

I like the prospects for 2014, the team started slowly overall, which was expected, but caught steam and achieved a lot more overall than was expected. A playoff appearance with a re-designed offense and work-in-progress defense was a nice surprise.

Safety has to be very high on the list of areas being addressed, more so than any other. OLB will be a need whether or not they move on from Cole; he's 31 and not getting any younger. Cedric Thornton was a nice find at DE, but they could probably use more there. Kendricks is thisclose to fully breaking out. It's coming. A couple friends have already thrown out Jarius Byrd as the target for the offseason. I could certainly dig that.

Offensively, they have an interesting situation at Wide Receiver. DJax is being DJax, Cooper broke out in a contract year, and you have the obvious questions about Maclin's health. I could see any combination of 1, 2 or 3 returning, I'm just not sure who it will be. Vick works as a backup, if he's true to his word that being one here is acceptable, then I say get it out of the way and get it done. Celek could go; his hands have always been inconsistent and while he's a solid blocker, so is James Casey who's got three more years left on the deal he signed last year. With Ertz being the wave of the future, I could see Celek moving on with the soph taking on a larger role.

I think they should keep Cole. He proved he could play well as a 3-4 OLB or as a 4-3 DE, he isn't overly expensive and is a great team leader. As for the receivers I think tey let one of maclin or cooper go. Cooper will want a long term deal and will get about the same yearly salary as Maclin because he's coming off an ACL injury. The only problem with keeping maclin is if he goes for 1000 yards and 10 TDs next year he will become much more expensive than cooper. It could go eother way but I see them getting rid of cooper because he's a mediocre talent and is an off the field idiot.

#7 matt25x

matt25x

Just Drafted

• Probationary Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

Personally, I think the following should happen.

1) Resign Maclin for 1 year incentive laden deal.
2) Let Cooper go to FA (I think his market will be softer than most think, he has only had one good year and only when Foles was QB)
3) Re-structure Cole and Avant (Avant is nice but hes a possession receiver and making a little to much money to be only that)
4) CUT CHUNG
5) CUT HENERY
6) Cut or restructure Casey (hes a nice H-Back but im sure we could find one in the draft)

As for the draft, there could be alot of different ways to go. The Eagles have the approach of drafting the best available player, regardless of need, but there are certain needs that should align with the best available player.

In the 1st Round, we should be looking for Clinton-Dix or Poyer. Id be comfotable with either in the first round slot we are in. I could also see us taking a pass rusher that we can use Cole as a mentor for (Ealy from Missouri anyone?). In the second round, take whatever we dont take in the first. IF we take a safety, look for a pass-rusher to go in the second and vice versa. I personally think that Bailey, Pryor or Joyner will be available in the 2nd. Hubbard, Easley or Murphy make sense for a OLB to have under Cole. The 3rd round is where i think Chip will target DAT. Using him in a Darren Sproles-esque role along side Shady will probably be to much for Chip to pass up. Late round picks probably include, DT, CB, a big-body WR and a kicker.

As for FA, id be careful how we spend our money. Yes Byrd would be an immediate upgrade and obviously has a connection with Kelly, but we have a lot of key players that need to be locked up in the near future and we do not want to hamstring ourselves by paying 8M for a saftey (Granted he is one of the best in the game). Im thinking the front office will look for a few contracts similar to the one we gave Fletcher last year in order to round out our defense.

Edited by matt25x, 10 January 2014 - 04:19 PM.

#8 Ddam2013

Ddam2013

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

Personally, I think the following should happen.

1) Resign Maclin for 1 year incentive laden deal.
2) Let Cooper go to FA (I think his market will be softer than most think, he has only had one good year and only when Foles was QB)
3) Re-structure Cole and Avant (Avant is nice but hes a possession receiver and making a little to much money to be only that)
4) CUT CHUNG
5) CUT HENERY
6) Cut or restructure Casey (hes a nice H-Back but im sure we could find one in the draft)

As for the draft, there could be alot of different ways to go. The Eagles have the approach of drafting the best available player, regardless of need, but there are certain needs that should align with the best available player.

In the 1st Round, we should be looking for Clinton-Dix or Poyer. Id be comfotable with either in the first round slot we are in. I could also see us taking a pass rusher that we can use Cole as a mentor for (Ealy from Missouri anyone?). In the second round, take whatever we dont take in the first. IF we take a safety, look for a pass-rusher to go in the second and vice versa. I personally think that Bailey, Pryor or Joyner will be available in the 2nd. Hubbard, Easley or Murphy make sense for a OLB to have under Cole. The 3rd round is where i think Chip will target DAT. Using him in a Darren Sproles-esque role along side Shady will probably be to much for Chip to pass up. Late round picks probably include, DT, CB, a big-body WR and a kicker.

As for FA, id be careful how we spend our money. Yes Byrd would be an immediate upgrade and obviously has a connection with Kelly, but we have a lot of key players that need to be locked up in the near future and we do not want to hamstring ourselves by paying 8M for a saftey (Granted he is one of the best in the game). Im thinking the front office will look for a few contracts similar to the one we gave Fletcher last year in order to round out our defense.

That's one of their advantages in the draft this year, they will be completely set on offense after free agency, except maybe if they want to try to draft peters replacement in maybe the 3-4th round range. So they can and probably will go BPA on the defensive side of the ball. Clinton-Dix would be nice but I think he will go higher than where the eagles pick so they would have I trade up for him. They could always go with shazier in the first and have a great foursome of linebackers in cole, Barwin, Kendricks and Shazier.

#9 Spicoli56

Spicoli56

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

1960!

#10 Bluecore

Bluecore

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

I think they need a big bodied receiver to go with DJax and whoever else that's there now stays. Foles loves to throw the deep ball, but seemed to only connect on them when Riley Cooper was somehow wide open, over, and over, and over. DeSean Jackson is not a big guy and won't win those throw-em-up plays too often in my view. Other than that, if I were them I would just concentrate on the defensive side of the ball. Another off season and training camp of o-line work should work wonders for a line that wasn't that good early in the season.

Team 1 (12 team, 6 point pass TD) (5-2)

Week 7 lineup: Romo, Cobb, A.Johnson, K.Benjamin, Forte, Murray, Gronkowski, Bradshaw, Vinatieri, Baltimore DST
Bench: Big Ben, Asiata, Terrance Williams, Joseph Randle, Jonathan Stewart, Anthony Dixon

Team 2 (12 team, 1/25 return yardage) (5-2)

Week 7 lineup: Brees, Cobb, Edelman, Forte, Bradshaw, D.Walker, Joique Bel, Carpenter, Indy DST
Bench: Keenan Allen, Chris Ivory, Cecil Shorts, Travaris Cadet, Coby Fleener, Ka'Deem Carey

Team 3 (10 team standard) (6-1)

Week 7 lineup: Brady, Forte, Ellington, AJ Green, Jordy, Gronkowski, Lamar Miller, Dan Bailey, Ravens DST
Bench: S.Jax, McFadden, J.Gordon, Kelvin Benjamin, Bradshaw, Jennings, Romo

#11 Ddam2013

Ddam2013

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

After looking at overthecap.com the Eagles have 20 million in cap space. With celek, Casey and possibly Ryans getting cut that number could easily be over 30 million which would give them a lot of flexibility. 1st off they should fix their secondary, with Byrd and ward being free agents I would like to see the Eagles get one if not both of them. Ward was with Kelly at Oregon so he may be the most logical fit. Then comes cornerback, I don't see many cost worthy free agents so I think this will be what they target in the draft. I would love to see Denard as their first pick and a Ryans replacement in the second.

#12 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:46 AM

take the number of championships the eagles have won...........now add 1. That is the number times they need to replace chung.

#13 bleedgreen

bleedgreen

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

On offence = I think they need to let Maclin walk too much of a risk, Foles and Cooper have a connection and they should build with that they do need a 1WR as no one really fits that bill. I would like to see them pick up Edelman or even Tate could you imagine either of them on the field . Golden Tate opposite of Djax or Edelman in the slot ? Id also like them to ditch Barkley and get a QB in the draft as a back up to Foles if Vick is gone, if hes gonna stay as the back up Im ok with that.

On Defense = they need a passrusher, a stand out corner and a real safety . I have been a Eagles fan for 30 years and am glad Chip Kelley is the HC I actually have faith in my Eagles for the first time in a long time.

#14 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

do you watch football by any chance mr. green? last place hawks need to be spending heavy money is on wr.

#15 bleedgreen

bleedgreen

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

I never said spend heavy money, just noting the facts, Maclin is a injury risk, so let him walk Djax is getting shut down so add another deep threat on the other side or keep Cooper for that purpose

#16 Timmah!

Timmah!

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 11,200 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

take the number of championships the eagles have won...........now add 1. That is the number times they need to replace chung.

Four times?

#17 NickyEyes

NickyEyes

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

Lot of rumblings about Orakpo on Philly sports radio. Although personally, I would love to see TJ Ward come in here as their sole big FA acquisition.

Continue to do what they did last off season, bring it low-key guys that help with the depth on this team.

Resign Maclin (they're saying he's going to get more than one year)

Let Cooper walk and get Kelvin Benjamin in the draft. Then draft defense for the next 6 rounds.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of Fletcher, but who knows.. maybe he'll be okay with a stud safety next to him.

I think Cole is going to be their sacrifice this year, not Ryans. I'd be shocked if Chung and Casey survive cuts.

Also, please figure out what the hell to do with Alex Henery.
12 Team, H2H Points, $150 Auction League, Mostly Standard Scoring

C - Devin Mesoraco
1B - Jose Abreu
2B - Robinson Cano
SS - J.J. Hardy
3B - Nolan Arenado
CI - Brett Lawrie
MI - Martin Prado
OF - Mike Trout, Ryan Braun, Oscar Tavares, Yasiel Puig, Denard Span
UTIL - Salvador Perez

BEN - Yangervis Solarte

SP - Adam Wainwright, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Jonathan Niese, James Shield, Justin Masterson, Matt Cain, A.J. Burnett
RP - Trevor Rosenthal, LaTroy Hawkins, Dellin Betances, Cody Allen, Alex Wood

#18 Timmah!

Timmah!

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 11,200 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:30 AM

So, the Eagles have been busy. Yesterday, they extended Jason Peters, and just now comes this:

@pdomo: Eagles' signing parade continues. Kelce signs 7-year extension thru 2020, Cooper a 5-year extension through 2018.

I'm wondering what happens with Maclin now.

#19 Timmah!

Timmah!

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 11,200 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

And then I see this:

@LesBowen: Yes RT @EvanShanahan: @LesBowen is Maclin deal close??

So there ya go about any questions regarding the Eagles' receivers.

#20 Thad

Thad

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:50 AM

With Maclin back now, this offense will be lights out. If their defense can pull it together against the pass (they were last in 2013), this could very well be a 11 or 12 win team. The favorite in the NFC East easily in my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users