Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Minnesota Vikings 2014 Offseason Thread.Frazier out, #8 draft pick.

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

They have many pieces in place for the future, with the exception of a franchise QB.

Started off atrocious, but came on strong at the end of the season and displayed the kind of talent  (Patterson emergence) which could be a contender in the NFC North as soon as next season.

Team needs:
QB
LB
DB
New offensive coordinator

If one of the top 3 projected QBs (Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel) do not drop to the Vikings at #8 I hope they trade back to acquire more picks and draft Derek Carr as a project QB. I don't like the thought of reaching for Carr at #8. It would feel too much like another Ponder pick.

Thoughts?

#2 Travdaddy10

Travdaddy10

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

It looks like Zimmer will be hired as the HC. I think his OC will be Scott Linehan. He's an ex Vikes OC. He familiar with the division already which is nice. I hope Watkins is there at 8 and they take him. Watkins, Patterson, and Jennings in the slot. Re-sign Cassel to run the could be beast offense. And draft McCarren or Fales in the 3rd. Zimmer knows what he's doing on defense. This is already a 4-3 so he should be able to quickly tailor the D to what he likes.
10 team - H2H Daily
C - Salvador Perez
1B - Votto
2B - Ackley
SS - Tulo
3B - Plouffe
OF1 - Trout
OF2 - Beltran
OF3 - Rios
DH - Hosmer
Bench - R. Zimmerman, LaRoche, Prado, Grady Sizemore, Byrd, Yan Gomes, K. Morales
SP1 - Fernandez
SP2 - Cueto
SP3 - Teheran
SP4 - Salazar
SP5 - Kluber
SP6 - A. Wood
SP7 - Pineda
RP1 - Soria RP2 - KRod
Bench - H. Alvarez, T. Ross, T. Walker, Bradley, Colon, Elias, Volquez, Bedard, DiceK, L. Hawkins, Alex Meyer, Koehler

#3 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

I personally don't want Watkins. Great talent, but not what the Vikings need. Patterson, Jennings, and Rudolph are enough passing options for now.

Defense is where the Vikings really need to improve, and there are plenty of skilled defensive players who will be left on the board at #8.

I also don't like the prospect of McCarron. He's a true system QB in my eyes. I'd rather have a guy like Carr, Fales, or Boyd who have far more upside and can be groomed into a better QB.

#4 Travdaddy10

Travdaddy10

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

View Postmunde53, on 09 January 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

I personally don't want Watkins. Great talent, but not what the Vikings need. Patterson, Jennings, and Rudolph are enough passing options for now.

Defense is where the Vikings really need to improve, and there are plenty of skilled defensive players who will be left on the board at #8.

I also don't like the prospect of McCarron. He's a true system QB in my eyes. I'd rather have a guy like Carr, Fales, or Boyd who have far more upside and can be groomed into a better QB.
Fales is a system guy too. And I've never heard a team say they have too many offensive weapons. I bet the Lions with Calvin Johnson would love one more weapon. There is no such thing period. The league is an offensive league now with penalties being called everywhere. I'd rather have Zimmer choose his guys through free agency then take the number 1 pick on a guy like Mosley. Dennard is good but not generational good like Watkins can be. And you say trade back for a project QB. When do you want the Vikes to be good 2016? With a guy like Watkins, shoring up the D, and a veteran QB they can make the playoffs next year. Look at the Bears with McCown. He was good because of the skill around him. Lobbing balls to Jefferey and Marshall is not tough to do.

Edited by Travdaddy10, 09 January 2014 - 04:05 PM.

10 team - H2H Daily
C - Salvador Perez
1B - Votto
2B - Ackley
SS - Tulo
3B - Plouffe
OF1 - Trout
OF2 - Beltran
OF3 - Rios
DH - Hosmer
Bench - R. Zimmerman, LaRoche, Prado, Grady Sizemore, Byrd, Yan Gomes, K. Morales
SP1 - Fernandez
SP2 - Cueto
SP3 - Teheran
SP4 - Salazar
SP5 - Kluber
SP6 - A. Wood
SP7 - Pineda
RP1 - Soria RP2 - KRod
Bench - H. Alvarez, T. Ross, T. Walker, Bradley, Colon, Elias, Volquez, Bedard, DiceK, L. Hawkins, Alex Meyer, Koehler

#5 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

View PostTravdaddy10, on 09 January 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

Fales is a system guy too. And I've never heard a team say they have too many offensive weapons. I bet the Lions with Calvin Johnson would love one more weapon. There is no such thing period. The league is an offensive league now with penalties being called everywhere. I'd rather have Zimmer choose his guys through free agency then take the number 1 pick on a guy like Mosley. Dennard is good but not generational good like Watkins can be. And you say trade back for a project QB. When do you want the Vikes to be good 2016? With a guy like Watkins, shoring up the D, and a veteran QB they can make the playoffs next year. Look at the Bears with McCown. He was good because of the skill around him. Lobbing balls to Jefferey and Marshall is not tough to do.
McCown was good because of the system Trestman runs in combination with the talent surrounding him. A project QB could be ready to start as soon as 2015. So in other words one full year as Cassel being the starter gooming the young QB, then giving him a shot. Much like what happened with Nick Foles in Philly. Shoring up the D will not happen with out drafting the skilled defensive players. The Vikings simply have almost zero talent at the linebacker position and apart from Rodes and Smith are defensive backs are just as bad. They were dead last in defense last season. That will not improve with a simple coaching change.

The Lions do not even have a solid #2 option behind Calvin so of course they would love Watkins, the Vikings have a solid #2 and #3 in Jennings and Rudolph.

The defense should be the Vikings #1 priority unless one of the top 3 QBs falls.

#6 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

Posted Image

#7 Travdaddy10

Travdaddy10

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

View Postmunde53, on 09 January 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

View PostTravdaddy10, on 09 January 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

McCown was good because of the system Trestman runs in combination with the talent surrounding him. A project QB could be ready to start as soon as 2015. So in other words one full year as Cassel being the starter gooming the young QB, then giving him a shot. Much like what happened with Nick Foles in Philly. Shoring up the D will not happen with out drafting the skilled defensive players. The Vikings simply have almost zero talent at the linebacker position and apart from Rodes and Smith are defensive backs are just as bad. They were dead last in defense last season. That will not improve with a simple coaching change.

The Lions do not even have a solid #2 option behind Calvin so of course they would love Watkins, the Vikings have a solid #2 and #3 in Jennings and Rudolph.

The defense should be the Vikings #1 priority unless one of the top 3 QBs falls.
Well I guess we disagree then. The Bears have elite offensive skill players. Trestman has a good offense but again they have athletes all over the field on offense. Why let the Lions get Watkins too? I guess you don't think he is as good as I do. Many teams can make it with terrible defenses. Look at the Colts, Philly, and the Packers. Few can do it with ok offenses. Bring on the stud WR's. AP will be done in a few years. One defender isn't going to make or break our defense. Watkins on offense could change everything.
10 team - H2H Daily
C - Salvador Perez
1B - Votto
2B - Ackley
SS - Tulo
3B - Plouffe
OF1 - Trout
OF2 - Beltran
OF3 - Rios
DH - Hosmer
SP1 - Fernandez
SP2 - Cueto
SP3 - Teheran
SP4 - Salazar
SP5 - Kluber
SP6 - A. Wood
SP7 - Pineda
RP1 - Soria RP2 - KRod

#8 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

View Postmunde53, on 09 January 2014 - 05:06 PM, said:

Posted Image

Would love to see this. Having AP and being able to lean on the run game would take alot of the pressure off of Johnny in his first NFL season, and vice versa as having a serviceable QB would at least keep defenses honest and not stack 9 in the box for AP. Also, having Cordarelle as a weapon, plus Jennings and Rudolph, John Football would fit in really nice.
FFB 12 Team Standard 4 Keeper lose the draft pick the keeper was taken in
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#9 Travdaddy10

Travdaddy10

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

View Postmunde53, on 09 January 2014 - 05:06 PM, said:

Posted Image
So we are giving up 3 picks to get Manziel who has bust potential all over him. How's that helping the D?
10 team - H2H Daily
C - Salvador Perez
1B - Votto
2B - Ackley
SS - Tulo
3B - Plouffe
OF1 - Trout
OF2 - Beltran
OF3 - Rios
DH - Hosmer
SP1 - Fernandez
SP2 - Cueto
SP3 - Teheran
SP4 - Salazar
SP5 - Kluber
SP6 - A. Wood
SP7 - Pineda
RP1 - Soria RP2 - KRod

#10 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

View PostTravdaddy10, on 09 January 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

It looks like Zimmer will be hired as the HC. I think his OC will be Scott Linehan. He's an ex Vikes OC. He familiar with the division already which is nice. I hope Watkins is there at 8 and they take him. Watkins, Patterson, and Jennings in the slot. Re-sign Cassel to run the could be beast offense. And draft McCarren or Fales in the 3rd. Zimmer knows what he's doing on defense. This is already a 4-3 so he should be able to quickly tailor the D to what he likes.
I always like Zimmer, he was the D-Coordinator in Dallas for many years, I think was the only guy Parcells kept from the Campo era, he left Dallas a year after Parcells engineered the 4-3 to 3-4 switch, which they have now gone back to 4-3.  What he is not very good at is a talent evaluator.

Love Fales myself, would like to see him taken 3rd round by Cowboys, but I think he will rise up a bit, probably be a 2nd rounder when all is said and done.  He will be in Senior Bowl later this month, so reports there should tell a lot.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#11 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

View PostTravdaddy10, on 09 January 2014 - 05:08 PM, said:

Well I guess we disagree then. The Bears have elite offensive skill players. Trestman has a good offense but again they have athletes all over the field on offense. Why let the Lions get Watkins too? I guess you don't think he is as good as I do. Many teams can make it with terrible defenses. Look at the Colts, Philly, and the Packers. Few can do it with ok offenses. Bring on the stud WR's. AP will be done in a few years. One defender isn't going to make or break our defense. Watkins on offense could change everything.
Watkins is an elite talent no doubt and will have a productive NFL career, but it makes zero sense to draft a player just so one of your rivals cannot.

The three teams you just named with mediocre defenses have elite QBs. Cassel is not even close to an elite QB.

One offense player will also not make or break your offense (with the exception of a QB).

#12 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

View PostTravdaddy10, on 09 January 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

So we are giving up 3 picks to get Manziel who has bust potential all over him. How's that helping the D?
Read all of my posts again. I've said all along that if one of the top 3 QB prospects the Vikings should draft them. Manziel would help the Vikings much more than a guy like Watkins.

#13 Travdaddy10

Travdaddy10

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

View Postmunde53, on 09 January 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

Read all of my posts again. I've said all along that if one of the top 3 QB prospects the Vikings should draft them. Manziel would help the Vikings much more than a guy like Watkins.
I'll go out and say right now that either McCarron or Fales will have a more productive career then Manziel. Manziel will have a couple of good years right away but just like RG3 will get abused and have to learn to pass. McCarron just might be the next Brady. Fales looks like he might have elite vision like Brees. You go ahead and hope we get the next Flutie and the distraction.

Edited by Travdaddy10, 09 January 2014 - 05:29 PM.

10 team - H2H Daily
C - Salvador Perez
1B - Votto
2B - Ackley
SS - Tulo
3B - Plouffe
OF1 - Trout
OF2 - Beltran
OF3 - Rios
DH - Hosmer
SP1 - Fernandez
SP2 - Cueto
SP3 - Teheran
SP4 - Salazar
SP5 - Kluber
SP6 - A. Wood
SP7 - Pineda
RP1 - Soria RP2 - KRod

#14 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

View PostTravdaddy10, on 09 January 2014 - 05:27 PM, said:

I'll go out and say right now that either McCarron or Fales will have a more productive career then Manziel. Manziel will have a couple of good years right away but just like RG3 will get abused and have to learn to pass. McCarron just might be the next Brady. Fales looks like he might have elite vision like Brees. You go ahead and hope we get the next Flutie and the distraction.
McCarron has a greater likelihood of becoming the next Colt McCoy than Tom Brady. Fales I haven't seen enough of to make a solid opinion up about him. McCarron on the other hand is nothing special in the slightest.

#15 Travdaddy10

Travdaddy10

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

View Postmunde53, on 09 January 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

McCarron has a greater likelihood of becoming the next Colt McCoy than Tom Brady. Fales I haven't seen enough of to make a solid opinion up about him. McCarron on the other hand is nothing special in the slightest.
Same was said for Brady. Nothing special, 6th round. McCarron oozes winner. I'm not sure why but every time I see him on TV he carries that swagger. He can make all the throws but maybe not at an elite level. He's smart and has the size to see the field. Not an athlete though. Sounds like Brady.
10 team - H2H Daily
C - Salvador Perez
1B - Votto
2B - Ackley
SS - Tulo
3B - Plouffe
OF1 - Trout
OF2 - Beltran
OF3 - Rios
DH - Hosmer
SP1 - Fernandez
SP2 - Cueto
SP3 - Teheran
SP4 - Salazar
SP5 - Kluber
SP6 - A. Wood
SP7 - Pineda
RP1 - Soria RP2 - KRod

#16 joshua18

joshua18

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

How many game-winning 4th quarter drives did McCarron have in college (Brady had several, even while playing in a ridiculous QB platoon)?  Please.  McCarron will be lucky to be a backup QB in the NFL -- just as all of the Alabama QBs in the Saban era.

#17 joshua18

joshua18

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

View PostTravdaddy10, on 09 January 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

Same was said for Brady. Nothing special, 6th round. McCarron oozes winner. I'm not sure why but every time I see him on TV he carries that swagger. He can make all the throws but maybe not at an elite level. He's smart and has the size to see the field. Not an athlete though. Sounds like Brady.

McCarron oozes game manager without arm strength.  And he can't make all the throws. Brady dealt with and overcame adversity several times during college.  What adversity has McCarron gone through and overcome?  Inheriting the best team in the country?  Please.

#18 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

Brady was actually projected to go as early as the 2nd round but fell to the 6th (I can't remember the reasoning).

#19 Travdaddy10

Travdaddy10

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

View Postjoshua18, on 09 January 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

McCarron oozes game manager without arm strength.  And he can't make all the throws. Brady dealt with and overcame adversity several times during college.  What adversity has McCarron gone through and overcome?  Inheriting the best team in the country?  Please.
77 TDs to 15 INTs in college. That is the most impressive stat McCarron had. Yeah he had a good team. But he's smart enough not lose teams games.

http://www.nfl.com/n...tract-nfl-teams
10 team - H2H Daily
C - Salvador Perez
1B - Votto
2B - Ackley
SS - Tulo
3B - Plouffe
OF1 - Trout
OF2 - Beltran
OF3 - Rios
DH - Hosmer
SP1 - Fernandez
SP2 - Cueto
SP3 - Teheran
SP4 - Salazar
SP5 - Kluber
SP6 - A. Wood
SP7 - Pineda
RP1 - Soria RP2 - KRod

#20 joshua18

joshua18

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

Stop with the McCarron to Brady comparisons.  If you want to see McCarron's NFL career, look at Greg McElroy.  His ceiling is someone like Andy Dalton.

Edited by joshua18, 09 January 2014 - 05:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users