238 replies to this topic

#21 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

That is fair if you want to count guys like Prado and such if we talking about top 10.

View PostThe Big Bat Theory, on 16 January 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

View PostSidearmer, on 15 January 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:

View PostThe Big Bat Theory, on 15 January 2014 - 10:36 PM, said:

Well with due respect you still have anyone who is fantasy 3B eligible no matter where he plays in "real" baseball available for 3B duties so I would never ever remove Bogaerts, Rendon and Prado from that list.  Just because Bogaerts might be more valuable at SS doesn't mean you play him there if you also own Tulo say.  It depends on who else you get on your team.  I mean Zobrist is "more valuable" at SS then 2B but he played 2B for me for two seasons cause I had a decent SS and no other decent 2B in that particular league.  As to Bogaerts ending up at SS.  Perhaps and perhaps not.  One thing is pretty sure.  He has both eligibilities this year and will no doubt have both for 2015 in Yahoo which only requires three starts at a position.  He could well end up at 3B eventually too since his build is definitely not the classic one for a SS.

And I honestly don't think Headley has proved anything other than he had one surprisingly great year out of nowhere then promptly imploded back into being his mediocre self again last year.  But yeah he did show he could do something just like Frazier did.  But so did Middlebrooks for half a season.  Just no guarantee any of them will do it again.

Machado I'm not that worried about.  He's what?  21?  He is still growing into his body and his power.  I think he is fine and I'd trade for him in any league if I could pry him away from his owners.

Yeah I forgot all about Panda.  He def has to be rated higher then Frazier no matter what his weight.  Contract year or not he somehow puts up decent enough numbers.  How I have no idea, heh.

Not about real baseball position, but about most valuable fantasy position. There is really no reason you should use these guys at 3B, that is just a waste of opportunity cost. If you are in that position then something went wrong or one of those 3 became Miguel Cabrera. If you draft Tulo or a Cano there is no reason to draft those guys later.

No reason?  Ever hear of utility slots?  They all don't have to go to an OF or a 1B when you can get just as good a hitter at a more scarce position to pop in there.  And it's the same reason you would pick up Frazier here in a late round even if you already have a good 3B.  You pick up the best players you can when you can.  It all sorts out in the end, trust me.  There are always injuries.  There are always slumps.  There are always "dinged up" players held out for a week or more.

And there is always openings to rotate players in and out of the utility slots.  Get at least 2 good players that can cover every position on your team even if one is a multi-position guy and good things happen to your team in the end.  I would take Tulo and Xander on my team any day.  The more "redundency" I have at infield positions other that 1B, the better I feel.  And I can always get them both into the line-up when both are healthy.  So why not have both.

And that is what value I see in Frazier.  As a second 3B and, if he heats up, a person I can rotate in and out of a utility slot (or 3B if my regular goes into a slump) based on match-ups etc.  Depth on a team is my number one concern and that pov for me has worked out really well.  Others may be fine with just one good player per position and also do well.  Not all owners play the same way.

Now that I can agree with. Injuries happen all the time. Fraizer is higher than replacement level and he does have some upside here.

I'm just saying, if your draft is reaching for all the 3B early and you don't want too. Frazier can be considered as a late starting option. You may not like him over all those guys. But I can see it for some of them. My later round 3B target is A Ram and Panda for the record though...

Edited by Slatykamora, 16 January 2014 - 10:07 AM.

#22 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

FWIW, Razzball projects Frazier to have a .250-25-80-70-5 type line. I'll take that anydayyyy with a late late round pick over drafting the likes of Ryan Zimmerman, Manny Machado, or even Evan Longoria early in the draft.

#23 slaphitter

slaphitter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

Razzball is outstanding, don't get me wrong. But they have a man-crush on Frazier. Last year they predicted 35 bombs for him

#24 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:51 AM

View PostTravis Burten, on 16 January 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

FWIW, Razzball projects Frazier to have a .250-25-80-70-5 type line. I'll take that anydayyyy with a late late round pick over drafting the likes of Ryan Zimmerman, Manny Machado, or even Evan Longoria early in the draft.

Rotochamp has him at .256-20-74-5
Oliver has him at .247-20-75-8
Steamer has him at .245-17-59-6
ZiPS has him at .243-21-79-9

I don't think anyone doubts his power. He has that 20-25 HR potential. The average is going to depend on if he stops hitting ground balls.
"There's nothing more interesting than your own rotisserie team and nothing less interesting than someone else's." - Daniel Okrent

"If you challenge the conventional wisdom, you will find ways to do things much better than they are currently done." - Bill James

#25 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,753 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostSlatykamora, on 16 January 2014 - 10:07 AM, said:

That is fair if you want to count guys like Prado and such if we talking about top 10.

Well with due respect you still have anyone who is fantasy 3B eligible no matter where he plays in "real" baseball available for 3B duties so I would never ever remove Bogaerts, Rendon and Prado from that list.  Just because Bogaerts might be more valuable at SS doesn't mean you play him there if you also own Tulo say.  It depends on who else you get on your team.  I mean Zobrist is "more valuable" at SS then 2B but he played 2B for me for two seasons cause I had a decent SS and no other decent 2B in that particular league.  As to Bogaerts ending up at SS.  Perhaps and perhaps not.  One thing is pretty sure.  He has both eligibilities this year and will no doubt have both for 2015 in Yahoo which only requires three starts at a position.  He could well end up at 3B eventually too since his build is definitely not the classic one for a SS.

And I honestly don't think Headley has proved anything other than he had one surprisingly great year out of nowhere then promptly imploded back into being his mediocre self again last year.  But yeah he did show he could do something just like Frazier did.  But so did Middlebrooks for half a season.  Just no guarantee any of them will do it again.

Machado I'm not that worried about.  He's what?  21?  He is still growing into his body and his power.  I think he is fine and I'd trade for him in any league if I could pry him away from his owners.

Yeah I forgot all about Panda.  He def has to be rated higher then Frazier no matter what his weight.  Contract year or not he somehow puts up decent enough numbers.  How I have no idea, heh.

Not about real baseball position, but about most valuable fantasy position. There is really no reason you should use these guys at 3B, that is just a waste of opportunity cost. If you are in that position then something went wrong or one of those 3 became Miguel Cabrera. If you draft Tulo or a Cano there is no reason to draft those guys later.

No reason?  Ever hear of utility slots?  They all don't have to go to an OF or a 1B when you can get just as good a hitter at a more scarce position to pop in there.  And it's the same reason you would pick up Frazier here in a late round even if you already have a good 3B.  You pick up the best players you can when you can.  It all sorts out in the end, trust me.  There are always injuries.  There are always slumps.  There are always "dinged up" players held out for a week or more.

And there is always openings to rotate players in and out of the utility slots.  Get at least 2 good players that can cover every position on your team even if one is a multi-position guy and good things happen to your team in the end.  I would take Tulo and Xander on my team any day.  The more "redundency" I have at infield positions other that 1B, the better I feel.  And I can always get them both into the line-up when both are healthy.  So why not have both.

And that is what value I see in Frazier.  As a second 3B and, if he heats up, a person I can rotate in and out of a utility slot (or 3B if my regular goes into a slump) based on match-ups etc.  Depth on a team is my number one concern and that pov for me has worked out really well.  Others may be fine with just one good player per position and also do well.  Not all owners play the same way.

Now that I can agree with. Injuries happen all the time. Fraizer is higher than replacement level and he does have some upside here.

I'm just saying, if your draft is reaching for all the 3B early and you don't want too. Frazier can be considered as a late starting option. You may not like him over all those guys. But I can see it for some of them. My later round 3B target is A Ram and Panda for the record though...

That works but you are sacrificing value. You can't get guys that are just as good statistically ignoring the positions. Unless a scarce position falls way down the draft, you will be paying a scarcity premium on stats that you most likely won't take advantage of in the most profitable spots. Yes you can put those guys in UTIL but you can get better stats from an OF at the same price and stick them in UTIL, which ultimately gives your team better stats.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#26 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

View PostSidearmer, on 16 January 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

That works but you are sacrificing value. You can't get guys that are just as good statistically ignoring the positions. Unless a scarce position falls way down the draft, you will be paying a scarcity premium on stats that you most likely won't take advantage of in the most profitable spots. Yes you can put those guys in UTIL but you can get better stats from an OF at the same price and stick them in UTIL, which ultimately gives your team better stats.

You forget that many people picked up Bogaerts early on as a prospect.  You are talking draft only.  I'm including teams that already have him or other young players early on.  Still in a draft I'd take Xander and another good SS if they are the best players.  OF and 1B I don't see as better stat getters then someone like him so why waste a pick on just another OF when you can get the better player that can play at two positions plus Util?  

I'm not scarificing any "value".  I'm getting the best player period.  Again these things sort themselves out.  I'll get better value having a premium 3B or 2B or SS fill-in when not in the utility slot then an OF who can't fill in when Tulo gets dinged up yet again.  Because most hitting stats are quanity I want to keep them all filled daily as much as possible and my experience has showed me it pays off big time especially in H2H leagues where one extra RBI can win you the category and from there the week.

Again different ways of managing.  I see absolutely no value in leaving a hitting slot empty when I can fill in with shuffling my team around that day.

Which, moving this back to Frazier, makes him important as a second string 3B for me.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory, 16 January 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#27 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

View PostThe Big Bat Theory, on 16 January 2014 - 02:20 PM, said:

View PostSidearmer, on 16 January 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

You forget that many people picked up Bogaerts early on as a prospect.  You are talking draft only.  I'm including teams that already have him or other young players early on.  Still in a draft I'd take Xander and another good SS if they are the best players.  OF and 1B I don't see as better stat getters then someone like him so why waste a pick on just another OF when you can get the better player that can play at two positions plus Util?  

I'm not scarificing any "value".  I'm getting the best player period.  Again these things sort themselves out.  I'll get better value having a premium 3B or 2B or SS fill-in when not in the utility slot then an OF who can't fill in when Tulo gets dinged up yet again.  Because most hitting stats are quanity I want to keep them all filled daily as much as possible and my experience has showed me it pays off big time especially in H2H leagues where one extra RBI can win you the category and from there the week.

Again different ways of managing.  I see absolutely no value in leaving a hitting slot empty when I can fill in with shuffling my team around that day.

Which, moving this back to Frazier, makes him important as a second string 3B for me.

Why you ask? Because you will pay a higher price for Bogaerts or a SS that produces similar numbers to that of an OF.

Say you have 2 hitters, one plays SS and another plays OF....both produce a .270-20-80 season. The SS putting up those numbers will come at a much higher price than an OF. Reason being is that he able to be slotted into a premium position in your lineup whereas the OF'er cannot. So drafting 2 guys at the same position for high prices doesn't make sense....you'd rather get another position with the money or draft pick than get 2 of the same. If I draft Posey, I'm not going to draft Carlos Santana and put him as my Util. It's just stupid. I'll use that draft pick to make one of my other positions better, and then grab a guy like Adams or someone later on in the draft at a much cheaper price to fill my 1B. Your depth argument is valid, but your taking it to an poor extreme when assessing VALUE.

#28 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

High prices?  It's fantasy.  I don't pay for players.

I'm guessing you are referring to those auction leagues then.  Never played in them.  Never will.  Fantasy sports is an escape from the everyday nickle and dime world into a game.  It's where I can have all the great players I can draft, trade for or pick up earlier in their careers then anyone else with NO price tag.  Where I build based on my wits and my gut.  Not my fantasy "wallet."  That's what makes it fun for me.  Adding in front office bean counting would bore me to tears.  I just hate all things economic period. I want to get away from that world in my spare time.  Not get into it at a fantasy level as well.   Again, apples and oranges.  Some people like auctions and find what I find boring really exciting to them.  That's why there is so many types of leagues.

Anyway I finally get what you mean by "value."  Just doesn't apply to any league I'm in or ever will be in.  That's why we were all talking at cross purposes I guess.  Had no idea why Tulo and Bogaerts wouldn't be great on the same team.  And in my leagues it would be great.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory, 16 January 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#29 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,753 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:33 PM

View PostTravis Burten, on 16 January 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

Why you ask? Because you will pay a higher price for Bogaerts or a SS that produces similar numbers to that of an OF.

Say you have 2 hitters, one plays SS and another plays OF....both produce a .270-20-80 season. The SS putting up those numbers will come at a much higher price than an OF. Reason being is that he able to be slotted into a premium position in your lineup whereas the OF'er cannot. So drafting 2 guys at the same position for high prices doesn't make sense....you'd rather get another position with the money or draft pick than get 2 of the same. If I draft Posey, I'm not going to draft Carlos Santana and put him as my Util. It's just stupid. I'll use that draft pick to make one of my other positions better, and then grab a guy like Adams or someone later on in the draft at a much cheaper price to fill my 1B. Your depth argument is valid, but your taking it to an poor extreme when assessing VALUE.

First off, when I mention price, I mean both auction price and ADP.

But this supports my point. You just can't get a SS with the same numbers as an OF in the same round. If you do, then the SS fell way down or someone severely overpicked the OF.

Your argument about having more spots in daily lineups doesn't make too much sense. Every position has a chance for injury, so having a backup SS over a backup OF won't give you more AB. In fact, in theory a backup OF will always give more AB during the season. Just think about it. In a standard 23 player roster league, There are 3 OF spots and a UTIL, while there is one SS and UTIL. So if you get the backup OF, there's 4 chances he can play if someone gets injured, rather than 2 for the SS.

This is why I always draft mostly OF for the bench and mix in a 1B because 1B will be the best IF stats and every IF backup will only have 2 shots of getting in the starting lineup (their position and the UTIL).

I've parlayed this strategy into almost always targeting early SS and 2B and getting catcher last, while getting a bunch of OF/1B, with the bench guys having strong splits to plug and play. When guys go on the DL I could add a more well rounded player, and still play the heavy splits guys when advantageous.

For these reasons it just never made sense to me to draft backups for C, SS, 2B in leagues that don't have long benches.

To relate this to Frazier, even if he hits Razzball's insane projections you could get an OF that can provide the same production later on. The OF will have a better chance of getting in when only 1 out of 4 (3 OF, 1 UTIL) has to get banged up, while Frazier would need your 3B or UTIL guy hurt.

You hate economics but a lot of fantasy is opportunity costs. Drafting mid round scarce position backups is a big sacrifice of opportunity costs. For reference, in the Mock Draft II, you could have gotten guys like Desmond Jennings, Michael Cuddyer, Billy Hamilton, and Billy Butler later on, all guys I personally believe will destroy Boegarts this year in stats (ignoring positions). That was round 9. In the first mock his was picked in the 6th round, which would add a whole other slew of names here.

#30 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:31 AM

There is opportunity cost with going on scarce position early too..  Its kind of un-avoidable if need to fill the position.

The other thing you are not accounting for is replacement level. WW replacement level OF/1B is higher than SS or 2B. Its much easier to replace an injured 1B/OF than it is a SS/2B. So when you draft that MI early and you have no back up plan. When he gets hurt. You are losing out worse on stats.

Or frankly. Trade value, people value up scarcity on the open market

If you are in a league with 3 bench. If you have a 1B as and U and OF on the bench, and one Splits guy. I don't see why having one of those bench spots being a IF a bad thing.. Usually, Its a pretty good idea to have a competent back up when you draft an injury risk as your starting SS or 2B. Like an Utley or Tulo.

Its really hard to get too deep into this Convo. Because all this talk has been itch'n me to crunch out some Standard Deviation for each stat and position..

Also this is Todd Frazier thread. If you are going to reference MD2:  Adam Lind, Justin Morneau, Chris Young, Corey Hart, Nick Swisher were the next 5 batters taken. And it came back to his pick BEFORE Swisher.

Adam Lind? Well I think guy is just under valued in general!  Goes later than he should. But everyone else on that list? I'm not see the opportunity cost unless he was hurting for SBs? He already draft Crawford, Bourn, Altuve, Kinsler.

#31 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,753 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:11 AM

The key here is competent backup, not a pricey backup. When it gets later in the draft the solid MI options are there. But a guy like Boegarts will be taken much earlier. I'll also argue that with the premium positions if they get hurt you are losing more stats overll because they are better players, so you need to have good backups there too.

#32 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,753 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:21 AM

Per Rotoworld:

Reds manager Bryan Price said he wants the team to be more aggressive on the basepaths, singling out Todd Frazier as a player who could run more in 2014.

Frazier is an above-average baserunner who once stole 17 bases in a season at Triple-A Louisville, but he's swiped just 10 in 17 chances over his three seasons in the majors. ESPN's Jerry Crasnick said the team believes he's capable of stealing 10 to 15 bases this year. If Frazier does run more it's a plus for fantasy owners, who can already pencil him in for around 20 home runs and a decent RBI total as well.

Source: ESPN.com

#33 SpecialFNK

SpecialFNK

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

I wonder if Frazier can push 20+ SB.
in college he had 19, 21, and 25. those came in games played at 53, 58, and 63. that was just back in 2005/2006/2007, so it wasn't that long ago.
20/20 at 3B is pretty sweet.

#34 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,753 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

View PostSpecialFNK, on 17 March 2014 - 04:10 PM, said:

in college he had 19, 21, and 25. those came in games played at 53, 58, and 63. that was just back in 2005/2006/2007, so it wasn't that long ago.

7-9 years ago isn't that long? and its college.

I have his ceiling at 10 SB.

#35 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,208 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

I'm pretty sure Todd Frazier went 30 / 30 during the Little League World Series 15 years ago.  No reason he can't do it now.

#36 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,955 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

View PostSidearmer, on 17 March 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

7-9 years ago isn't that long? and its college.

I have his ceiling at 10 SB.

He is a pretty good athlete.  He seems like a pretty smart baseball player.  In 90 games in AAA in 2011 he had 17 steals.  Price said he wants him to run more.  I think he could be a source of 15 to 18 SB's.  20 is probably unrealistic.

#37 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:06 AM

If you get double digit SBs from Frazier, consider it a great year in the speed department.

#38 RADickey4Prez

RADickey4Prez

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:52 AM

Dude rakes at Great American Ballpark.

Start him in all home games and games against crappy/average pitchers and you are golden.

#39 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,724 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:31 AM

I think 20 20 is pushing it, but I do expect him to have a 20 10 season which from a third basemen is pretty great. Third base is bad this year and I have him as a top 12 option. I wish he was hitting second though
No Days Off

#40 SpecialFNK

SpecialFNK

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:59 AM

he was 19 to 21 in college, and he is now only 28, so it's not like he is so old that his speed is going to be a lot less.
I imagine he depends on what type of success he has. he could run more all he wants, but how often is going to get the steal. last year he had 6 SB, but 5 CS. his OBP isn't all that good so he might not have as many opportunities to run.
I wouldn't project 20+ SB, but I don't think it's impossible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users