Jump to content

Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Roddy White 2014 Season Outlook32 yo, consistent until 2013 -- bounce back, or over the hill?


  • Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 joshua18

joshua18

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

I think he could be a soild WR2 -- 6th roundish, or the start of multi-year injury concerns (i.e. Andre Johnson 2010, 2011)?  Please discuss.

#2 cbe_88

cbe_88

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

View Postjoshua18, on 14 January 2014 - 03:31 PM, said:

I think he could be a soild WR2 -- 6th roundish, or the start of multi-year injury concerns (i.e. Andre Johnson 2010, 2011)?  Please discuss.

In the sixth round, I'm absolutely buying, that price is more than good enough for me. A solid wr2 is where I see him if he's 100%. Julio is the big play guy, but Matty Ice will still love Roddy's reliable presence next year as a more possession role in a ridiculously pass happy offense.

He's obviously an injury concern for the first time in his career. Before last year, he was made of steel, dude never missed games. I'll be keeping tabs on his offseason, his camp and preseason games. If he sustains any nicks in the preseason is when I'll be very concerned. But if he proves to maintain his healthy through camp and the preseason dress rehearsals, I'm definitely in on Roddy, I don't think he's finished.

#3 QFFL

QFFL

    Double-A

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

Me three. I will be buying him as my No. 2 WR. With their HOF TE retiring, he will be his QB No 2 target again.
QFFL Draft Masters

#4 Gains

Gains

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

6th round? Please let this happen. 5th I think is more reasonable. 4th I would probably like someone else more.

Roddy is stupid/stuborn not injury prone. He pushed to much to play through that high ankle sprain so he was garbage/not 100% for long time.

#5 LeeVanCleef

LeeVanCleef

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,310 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

Roddy finished strong the last 4-5 games of the season which is definitely a positive.  He has an entire off-season to get fully healthy and conditioned for next year.  Before we start labeling the man injury prone, let's think for a minute.  He came back way too soon from that HAS and while he was trying to compensate for that injury, it resulted in a pulled hamstring.  He was never 100% on that ankle and he should've kept his damn ego at the door instead of worrying about his precious record.  And let's not forget that before this HAS, the man NEVER MISSED A GAME IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER!!!

However, with that said, I'm sure he's going to fall in a lot of drafts with that same thinking (old, injuries) but if you can get him 5th and later, that's a friggin steal.  JJ might not be his old self and Gonzo is gone next season.  Roddy is the sure-handed rock on that team and he will get his next season.

Edited by LeeVanCleef, 14 January 2014 - 08:30 PM.

12 Team - Yahoo Dynasty League 2014

QB: Jake Locker
WR: B. Marshall, Roddy White, Keenan Allen, Kelvin Benjamin, Andrew Hawkins
RB: Arian Foster, Rashad Jennings, Joique Bell, Jerick McKinnon, Knile Davis, Christine Michael
TE: Gronk, Julius Thomas, Travis Kelce, Dwayne Allen


12 Team - Yahoo League 2014 (10th pick)

QB: Tom Brady
WR: Dez Bryant, AJ Green, Emmanuel Sanders, TY Hilton, Andrew Hawkins, Rod Streater
RB: Rashad Jennings, Shane Vereen, Danny Woodhead, Steven Ridley, Latavius Murray, Isiah Crowell
TE: Zach Ertz
DEF: Tenn
K: Vinatieri

#6 cbe_88

cbe_88

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

View PostGains, on 14 January 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

6th round? Please let this happen. 5th I think is more reasonable. 4th I would probably like someone else more.

Roddy is stupid/stuborn not injury prone. He pushed to much to play through that high ankle sprain so he was garbage/not 100% for long time.

Exactly. I'm praying for the 6th round, but honestly, he's looking more like right at the 5th round in a 12-teamer. If his price was more 4th round it would come down to the other players on the board.

#7 kingjames02392

kingjames02392

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

STEAL
12 team .5 PPR

QB- Matt Ryan
WR- AJ Green, Marshall, Sanders
RB- Stacy, Gerhart
TE- Heath
FLEX- Torrey Smith

BN- Pierce, Ivory, Ridley, Terrence, DMC, Hakeem Nicks

#8 metalmat

metalmat

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

In 12 team leagues there is no way he is dropping to the 6th round. He would have been a WR 1 easy this year had he been healthy, he rocked at the tail end of the season. And I would be much more worried about injuries with Julio Jones than White.

Edited by metalmat, 15 January 2014 - 12:04 AM.

Team: BIG MAMA HURNS 10 Team PPR
QB: Matt Ryan
RB: Le'Veon Bell, Reggie Bush, Chris Johnson, Pierre Thomas, Danny Woodhead
WR: Reggie Wayne, Vincent Jackson, Cordarrelle Patterson, A.J. Green, Cecil Shorts, Josh Gordon
TE: Jimmy Graham
K: Steven Hauschka, DST: New England Patriots

Team: Hollywood Hogan, 12 Team PPR
QB: Drew Brees
RB: Giovani Bernard, Arian Foster, Frank Gore, Bernard Pierce
WR/TE: Andre Johnson, Percy Harvin, Kendall Wright, Wes Welker
K: Nick Novak, DST: Denver Broncos

#9 PackersFan1979

PackersFan1979

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:40 AM

View Postmetalmat, on 15 January 2014 - 12:00 AM, said:

In 12 team leagues there is no way he is dropping to the 6th round. He would have been a WR 1 easy this year had he been healthy, he rocked at the tail end of the season. And I would be much more worried about injuries with Julio Jones than White.

My feelings too. White was running as a decoy most of the season and it prolonged a return to fitness. Depending how my draft goes, if he is there in the 5th Ill grab him

#10 ckern92

ckern92

    Double-A

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

I'm just afraid that he'll start hitting a trend similar to Hakeem Nicks. He'll start getting one small "playable" injury after the other and play distracted football - missing that extra pop he used to have to break coverage.
My fantasy blog:
www.kernfootball.wordpress.com

#11 Gains

Gains

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

Nicks and Roddy play 2 different stlyes............and oddly enough nicks is younger but had a worst history.

Roddy puts in so much effort he played on the H.A.S, which while gutsy was a really stupid idea.
Nicks  effort left a lot to be desired

I am not even a roddy or falcons fans but comparing roddy to nicks is a huge insult to roddy.

#12 cbe_88

cbe_88

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

View Postckern92, on 15 January 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

I'm just afraid that he'll start hitting a trend similar to Hakeem Nicks. He'll start getting one small "playable" injury after the other and play distracted football - missing that extra pop he used to have to break coverage.

I thought about Roddy being this year's "Hakeem Nicks" but I don't think that's fair. Because his 2013 campaign has singularly been Roddy's only injury ridden season. The dude had a ridiculous streak of games started before this season, which lends to the sturdy notion that he has a durable body, but every one deals with nicks, and Roddy (or the coaching staff) was simply dumb enough to try and play through a high ankle sprain in 2013. The bounce back seems a lot more likely with Roddy, than last year when I was contemplating Nicks whose had an injury ridden well documented outside of just one season. It is ironic that Nicks is so much younger, however, Nicks looks to have just lost his explosive and dynamic ability, and at such a young age it's a shame.

Edited by cbe_88, 15 January 2014 - 10:33 PM.


#13 Ryan81

Ryan81

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

I think Roddy will be one of the better bargain picks of the draft. Outside of this year, he's been an ironman. I'm sure people will call him old as well.

Julio is coming off a big injury, Gonzo is going to be gone, SJax is another year older and I don't think that running game will be great. I think the big thing helping Roddy will be the absence of Tony G. I could see Roddy being this year's Jordy Nelson coming off an injury plagued season.
"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RW Mock Real League - 14 team, 6 point all TDs, .5 ppr(0-1)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Reggie Bush
RB2: Pierre Thomas
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Ahmad Bradshaw
TE: Jason Witten
DST: Cincinnati Bengals
Bench: Cecil Shorts III, Mohammed Sanu, Mike Tolbert, James Starks, Theo Riddick, Travaris Cadet

#14 ckern92

ckern92

    Double-A

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

View Postcbe_88, on 15 January 2014 - 10:32 PM, said:

View Postckern92, on 15 January 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

I'm just afraid that he'll start hitting a trend similar to Hakeem Nicks. He'll start getting one small "playable" injury after the other and play distracted football - missing that extra pop he used to have to break coverage.

I thought about Roddy being this year's "Hakeem Nicks" but I don't think that's fair. Because his 2013 campaign has singularly been Roddy's only injury ridden season. The dude had a ridiculous streak of games started before this season, which lends to the sturdy notion that he has a durable body, but every one deals with nicks, and Roddy (or the coaching staff) was simply dumb enough to try and play through a high ankle sprain in 2013. The bounce back seems a lot more likely with Roddy, than last year when I was contemplating Nicks whose had an injury ridden well documented outside of just one season. It is ironic that Nicks is so much younger, however, Nicks looks to have just lost his explosive and dynamic ability, and at such a young age it's a shame.

Oh yeah I just mean that Nicks never struck me as being THAT fragile either. But his first injured season was plagued with "little" injuries and he seemed to be used similarly to White this season. I just don't want to see Roddy being used as a decoy again for Juliio and lose his competitive spark like Nicks. His bounce back does seem way more likely though.
My fantasy blog:
www.kernfootball.wordpress.com

#15 cbe_88

cbe_88

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

View Postckern92, on 16 January 2014 - 05:03 PM, said:

Oh yeah I just mean that Nicks never struck me as being THAT fragile either. But his first injured season was plagued with "little" injuries and he seemed to be used similarly to White this season. I just don't want to see Roddy being used as a decoy again for Juliio and lose his competitive spark like Nicks. His bounce back does seem way more likely though.

For sure. Health is the only issue with him, for me, I'm not concerned about his age or desire to play. As long as he's healthy (big IF) I'm not concerned he'll be used as a decoy. As long as he's healthy, he'll be an impressively reliable WR2. I don't think he'll be used as a mere decoy, I think that was ONLY a function of him not being healthy when we saw him as a decoy last year.

Edited by cbe_88, 16 January 2014 - 09:01 PM.


#16 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

Interesting player to evaluate for 2014 in my opinion.  2013 was mostly a lost season due to his ankle injury but Roddy showed when healthy (over the last 5 games of the season) that he can still perform like an elite WR.  The team drafting one of the top OT at #6 should help the passing game.  Also, the team losing Tony G and his 119 targets will obviously help the ATL WR pick up more targets (with Roddy probably being the main beneficiary).

With Matt Ryan at QB in ATL from 2008 - 12 (5 seasons), White averaged 97 rec 1,314 yd and 8.6 TD per season.  Roddy will probably come off the board after 20 other WR and his ADP figures to be around the middle of rd 5.  If you think that 2013 was just an injury blip and that Roddy has 1 or 2 more good years left in him (still only 32), then his current ADP presents a very good value.

#17 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa, Florida
  • Interests:The Ohio State University, fantasy football junkie, baseball

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

View PostJ.T. Marlin, on 06 May 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

Interesting player to evaluate for 2014 in my opinion.  2013 was mostly a lost season due to his ankle injury but Roddy showed when healthy (over the last 5 games of the season) that he can still perform like an elite WR.  The team drafting one of the top OT at #6 should help the passing game.  Also, the team losing Tony G and his 119 targets will obviously help the ATL WR pick up more targets (with Roddy probably being the main beneficiary).

With Matt Ryan at QB in ATL from 2008 - 12 (5 seasons), White averaged 97 rec 1,314 yd and 8.6 TD per season.  Roddy will probably come off the board after 20 other WR and his ADP figures to be around the middle of rd 5.  If you think that 2013 was just an injury blip and that Roddy has 1 or 2 more good years left in him (still only 32), then his current ADP presents a very good value.
Guys like this are why I'm very excited for this year of FF. Plenty of guys like White, Spiller, Martin, Julio, etc. are taking ADP hits because of injured or down seasons. I'm taking White in the sixth any day of the week.
* 4 straight superbowl appearances
* 2 super bowl victories

2014 Jeremy Top Dustan Bottoms
QB:Luck
RB:Lacy
RB:Bell
WR:Bryant
WR:Cobb
WR:Floyd
TE:Donnell
K:McManus
D:Texans
Flex:Ellington
Bench:Fitz, Decker, Vereen, Hurns, Gates, Ingram

#18 Gains

Gains

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

I love that the falcons(apart from Julio) are now all unsexy picks. Means value to me,

Don't see how Julio got more expensive thaN last year after having a repeat surgery on his foot. I would rather see two different surgeries the two on the same part

#19 mmrodri

mmrodri

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

View PostGains, on 06 May 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

I love that the falcons(apart from Julio) are now all unsexy picks. Means value to me,

Don't see how Julio got more expensive thaN last year after having a repeat surgery on his foot. I would rather see two different surgeries the two on the same part

I agree about the relative value of Falcons player in general, but I understand Julio's rise going into this offseason. He was on pace for a career season before the injury. The "Roddy is getting old and injury prone" narrative and TGon the Conqueror retirement will mean Julio will absorb a lot of hype while everyone remembers Roddy's high ankle sprain (not a long term injury) and forgets that this is Julio's "injury risk" foot (potentially chronic and inhibiting) from before he was drafted.

#20 Gains

Gains

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

View Postmmrodri, on 06 May 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

View PostGains, on 06 May 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

I love that the falcons(apart from Julio) are now all unsexy picks. Means value to me,

Don't see how Julio got more expensive thaN last year after having a repeat surgery on his foot. I would rather see two different surgeries the two on the same part

I agree about the relative value of Falcons player in general, but I understand Julio's rise going into this offseason. He was on pace for a career season before the injury. The "Roddy is getting old and injury prone" narrative and TGon the Conqueror retirement will mean Julio will absorb a lot of hype while everyone remembers Roddy's high ankle sprain (not a long term injury) and forgets that this is Julio's "injury risk" foot (potentially chronic and inhibiting) from before he was drafted.

Twice surgically repaired foot in 3 years or 1HAS in a decade.

Injury risk seems wrongly assigned and I personally do not like roddy white at all, but me liking or hating the guy doesn't change anything stat collecting wise




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users