20 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,804 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

This was on the front page of ESPN and though it's not fantasy specific, it still is an interesting conversation to have.  They break it down by position, which is great.  Here's my favorite:

Harris: Kendrick Perkins. Right now, Oklahoma City's starting center has 117 points and 105 fouls. Didn't think that was possible, but Perk is clearly out to prove the naysayers wrong.

We have a race for history!!!

http://espn.go.com/n...aluable-players

So, RW......Give me your LVP starting five!  I really want to know.....And support your opinions too.  Because opinions without support are white noise....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#2 DK64MASTER

DK64MASTER

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

Not really on topic, but as a fun note, Anthony Bennett has more fouls than minutes...

Edited by DK64MASTER, 17 January 2014 - 02:28 PM.

#3 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 23,804 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostDK64MASTER, on 17 January 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

Not really on topic, but as a fun note, Anthony Bennett has more fouls than minutes...

No he doesn't.  It's not even close.  321 MP.  48 PF.  He's been bad, but let's not bury the guy with erroneous facts....

#4 TheOneAboveAll

TheOneAboveAll

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

Hard to argue with the players those guys listed. Perkins almost had a unanimous vote for the Center spot. lol

#5 DK64MASTER

DK64MASTER

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

View PostPatrick Bateman, on 17 January 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

View PostDK64MASTER, on 17 January 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

No he doesn't.  It's not even close.  321 MP.  48 PF.  He's been bad, but let's not bury the guy with erroneous facts....

You are right, sorry.  I must have been getting confused with the number of fouls and defensive rebounds.

#6 TheWhiteMamba

TheWhiteMamba

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

PG: Deron Williams, mostly awful this year even when he's been healthy. Has a max contract to boot
SG: OJ Mayo, looks out of shape and like he just doesn't care. JR Smith is a good one too but the Knicks should have known better
SF: Jared Dudley- I thought this was a great move by the Clippers when they traded for him but he has been pretty terrible despite having a great opportunity. Aminu seems pretty useless too.
PF: Amare: Always hurt, making the max. Ilysova: I don't think its completely his fault but he's always been inconsistent.
C: Perkins is the only right answer, Dalembert too because he has the talent but he always finds a way to the bench no matter who he's with
12 team roto, 9 cats(NO turnovers, 9th cat is double doubles)
PG: Carter-Williams, Oladipo, Augustin
SG: Korver, Ellis, Leonard
SF: Durant, Leonard, Middleton
PF: Millsap, Bosh,
C: Drummond, Hawes, Gortat

#7 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 23,804 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

View PostTheWhiteMamba, on 17 January 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

PG: Deron Williams, mostly awful this year even when he's been healthy. Has a max contract to boot
SG: OJ Mayo, looks out of shape and like he just doesn't care. JR Smith is a good one too but the Knicks should have known better
SF: Jared Dudley- I thought this was a great move by the Clippers when they traded for him but he has been pretty terrible despite having a great opportunity. Aminu seems pretty useless too.
PF: Amare: Always hurt, making the max. Ilysova: I don't think its completely his fault but he's always been inconsistent.
C: Perkins is the only right answer, Dalembert too because he has the talent but he always finds a way to the bench no matter who he's with

I like your reasoning a lot.  I don't necessarily agree with every selection but making it a value oriented comparison by cost is one of the great perspectives to consider......Good job.

#8 KillaPetehog

KillaPetehog

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

Sanders up until right now!

#9 markdash

markdash

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 11,244 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

For fantasy, Mayo has to be way up there. I drafted him at pick 58 in one of my leagues, and the only reason I still have him on my roster is that it's a very deep league and there's nothing on the wire at all. Top 60 selection to unplayable/unrosterable is pretty impressive.
"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."
                                                        -G.K. Chesterton

"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all its students."

#10 LuN

LuN

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

I'll do a fantasy LVP in the sense of ADP. Bad players wouldn't count since we know not to draft them. Freak injuries or known injuries (Kobe/DWill/Rondo) don't count either.

Jeff Teague - After putting up round 4 numbers, he couldn't make the top 100 in the next season.

OJ Mayo - People were hoping for a repeat of the first half of his Dallas season. Mayo walked into a fantasy wasteland as a piece of trash.

Jeff Green - With all the hype regarding his unlimited opportunity, his FG% dropped and his stocks added up to 1.

Kevin Garnett - Father time takes down another. (Sanders and Ilyasova have a chance to put up decent value ROS)

Javale McGee - Enes and Jonas were taken into consideration, but even discounting the injury, McGee turned out to be a complete dud and totally unrosterable.

#11 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 23,804 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

One list.....

PG -- Jason Terry.  5.25 million.  Remember when JET was the 2nd fiddle for the Mavs Championship team?  Yea, me neither.  Now he's old so it's probably to be expected but wow.  A marksman who can't shoot.  .485 TS%, and AST% that most backup C's approach, and we know he's a horrible defender (114 DRtg).  He has a PER of 7.1 and WS/48 of .009.  Awful.  He also has another year to get paid. 2nd Team:  Steve Nash.

SG -- OJ Mayo.  8 million.  We know about his well documented knuckleheadness but he's just never been that great a player.  Certainly not as good as he thinks he is.  But, he's reached no lows this year.  TS% is career low of .510 and remember he's a good FT shooter.  He doesn't rebound, he doesn't play defense.  He barely passes anymore.  All of this despite a USG% that is almost a career high.  He's the definition of inefficient chucker.  .009 WS/48.  Look at that back court, baby!  2nd team:  JR Smith.

SF -- Caron Butler.  8 million.  Okay, so maybe it's a Milwaukee thing.  To be frank, this surprised me simply b/c I don't follow him.  But he looks like a guy on his last legs.  Career worst TS% of .463 except when he was injured in his 2nd year in Miami.  He's shooting .361% from the field.  Ugh.  Has a higher TOV% than AST%.  Yikes.  Career worst PER and negative in WS/48 of -.009.  He and Mayo cancel each other out!  Wait, that's not good.  2nd team:  Jeff Taylor.

PF -- Earl Clark.  4.250 million.  Confession.  Milwaukee has two guys that may be worse than Clark.  Man, the Bucks must be a joy to watch.  But still, I love stretch 4's so EC gets it.  Plus any list designed to celebrate terribleness has to have someone from Cleveland on it.  EC fits the bill.  Now, in Clark's defense, he's just a horrible player that happened to have a good year in MDA's crazy system.  Good year for him that is.  He's right around his career averages for suckitude.  .467 TS%.  TRB% that would make a PG blush and a 1:3 Assist to turnover rate.  Sweet.  PER in the single digits is normal for Clark.  At least he has a positive WS/48!  2nd team:  Irsanity and Udoh.  The whole Milwaukee team.

C -- Tie.  Kendrick Perkins and Andrew Bynum.  8.5 million and 6 million respectively.  One loves to play but is devoid of talent.  The other hates to play but has tons of talent.  In Perkins defense, it's Brooks that continues to play him huge minutes.  He's so gritty.  Bynum does have great hair.  Do we need to parse the numbers here???

***Note, I included no rookies.  They're rookies, they don't know any better.  Also, all players I considered had to average 15 minutes and play in at least 50% of the games played.

Fire away.....

Wait, TR just texted me and said that Kobe Bryant should go in the SG slot.  I'm shocked!!!

#12 lightbulb

lightbulb

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

to make this there must be some qualifier, like gp or mpg. obviously guys dont play a lot, or at all would be least valuable. or maybe only take first 120 players by adp

#13 Eternal

Eternal

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

Bet you Thunder would be even more elite if they just dumped Fisher and Perkins and let the young bloods do the work.

#14 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 23,804 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

View Postlightbulb, on 17 January 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

to make this there must be some qualifier, like gp or mpg. obviously guys dont play a lot, or at all would be least valuable. or maybe only take first 120 players by adp

You make up the qualifiers, if you like, that's what I did.  There's no absolute right answer, just fun opinions.  Some may include injured guys like Derrick Rose, although I didn't.  All supposed to be in fun.  In reality, all these guys are 10 times the player than any of us.....and that's being kind.

I'd really like to make a case for J.R. Smith.....must not.....trying to avoid.....

#15 tremixt

tremixt

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

Tayshaun Prince deserves serious consideration.

Steve Nash was also quite bad before he got hurt.

#16 christian

christian

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

PG Marquis Teague - miserable in his opportunities to start with Derrick Rose and Kirk Hinrich injured
SG Jason Terry - the Nets could use his game he left behind in Dallas
SF Otto Porter Jr. - non-factor for the Wizards
PF Anthony Bennett - PER of 1.1.....enough said
C Andris Biedrins - making $9 million this season to sit on Utah's bench
MFFL
12-team H2H dynasty (12), 8-cat., 3 IR, ESPN (LM) *2014 CHAMPION: three-peat (130-22, 1/12); 7-1 SF, 8-0 FINALS
G Chris Paul, Lowry, Dragic, Deron Williams, Bryant (IR), Reggie Jackson, Augustin, Foye, Chalmers, Thornton, Tony Allen

F Al Horford (IR), Paul Millsap, Nicolas Batum, Kyle Korver, J.R. Smith, Maurice Harkless, Jeff Adrien
C Serge Ibaka, Marc Gasol, Pau Gasol (IR), Markieff Morris, Miles Plumlee
20-team H2H keeper (4), 8-cat., 1 IR, ESPN *2014 CHAMPION, 2013 runner-up (95-32-1, 2/20); 8-0 QF, 6-2 SF, 5-3 FINALS
G Ty Lawson, Lance Stephenson, Kevin Martin, Jodie Meeks

F LeBron James, Paul Millsap, Danny Green
C Serge Ibaka, Robin Lopez, Andrew Bynum (IR), Gorgui Dieng
20-team H2H keeper (5), 8-cat., 2 IR, ESPN *took over team in early November 2013 (88-60-4, 8/20); 1-6-1 QF
G Mike Conley, Wilson Chandler, Mo Williams, Kent Bazemore, Martell Webster, Gary Neal, Shelvin Mack
F Markieff Morris, Josh McRoberts, Vince Carter, Patrick Patterson, Marvin Williams, Mirza Teletovic (IR), Danilo Gallinari (IR)
C LaMarcus Aldridge, Elton Brand, Steven Adams

10-team H2H, 8 cat., ESPN *2014 CHAMPION (106-42-4, 1/10); 8-0 QF, 6-2 FINALS
G James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Mike Conley, Randy Foye, Jodie Meeks
F Nicolas Batum, Kawhi Leonard, Gordon Hayward, J.R. Smith, Nick Young
C Al Jefferson, Marc Gasol, Derrick Favors

#17 NowhereMan

NowhereMan

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

this is a fantasy LVP. ADP and expectations vs actual current production

PG: Deron Williams - injuries yadda yadda yadda. even when on court he has been abysmal
SG: Kyrie Irving - slotting him in at SG due to just how disappointing a mid 1st rd pick he has been. yes started to turn it around in DEC but still has a long way to go to drag all those teams that took him mid 1st rd out from behind the 8 ball.
SF: Jeff Green - Totally lacking the tenacious and aggressive play that caused his bust out last yr
PF: Ersan Ilyasova - yes the Bucks are a fantasy wasteland (for the most part) thand in large to Larry "No Clue" Drew. But Ily hasn't helped himself at all with the type of play he has shown so far.
C: Larry Sanders - *refer to Ersan* with an added touch of horrid play from Sanders

dishonorable mentions: Jeff Teague. Danny Green. Jonas Valanciunas. OJ Mayo
12 Team / H2H  Daily / 9-Cat

PG: Mike Conley,  Isaiah Thomas, Trey Burke
SG: Kwahi Leonard, Goran Dragic, Jodie Meeks
SF: Kevin Durant, Loul Deng, Gerald Green
PF: Thad Young, Shawn Marion
C: Anderson Varejao, Channing Fyre,

#18 josh7047

josh7047

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

Yes he is a rookie but I cant be the only one who had higher expectations for Alex Len.
12 Team, 7 CAT, H2H, Keeper (FG%, 3s, PTS, REB, AST, STL,BLK)

Keepers for this year: John Wall, Victor Oladipo, Blake Griffin, Andre Drummond

Forget my roster. Im Tanking.

#19 lightbulb

lightbulb

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

View Postjosh7047, on 17 January 2014 - 08:49 PM, said:

Yes he is a rookie but I cant be the only one who had higher expectations for Alex Len.

that can maybe be said for all top 5 picks this year, with the exception of oladipo

#20 Megatroid

Megatroid

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

George Hill - Pacers
A point guard who doesn't score or get assists? I didn't realize I drafted Derek Fisher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users