129 replies to this topic

#1 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

Norv uses his TE's a lot in his offenses. This could mean a lot of targets for Rudolph. Vikings still need a QB but if they can get a competent player Rudolph should shine this year. I could see him being similar to Jordan Cameron this year breaking out in an offense that more suits his (immense) talents. I will be targeting him as a very late TE1 who I think will push to be in the top 5 TEs next year for fantasy.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#2 Corey In Da House

Corey In Da House

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

I'm liking this upcoming look of the Vikings. A Zimmer/Turner/Edwards system sounds intriguing. I'm expecting a high production out of both Patterson and Rudolph for sure. I wouldn't mind landing Rudolph, not a bad tight end option. But I'd take Graham/Thomas/Davis/Gronk/Cameron over him.

10 Team Work League Auction (3-4)

QB: Stafford, Kaepernick, Tannehil
RB: McCoy, Ellington, Crowell
WR: Dez, Ben Jammin', Flash Gordon, Landry, Watkins, Crabtree
TE: Kelce, Ertz
DEF: Patriots
K: Gostkowski

IR: Spiller

#3 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

If I miss out on one of the better TEs, I'll be targeting him. Hoping people slide on him due to his injury.

"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RotoWorld Mock Real League - 14 team, .5 PPR, 6 point passing TDs(4-2, 1st place)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Ahmad Bradshaw
RB2: Reggie Bush
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Mohammed Sanu
TE: Jason Witten
DST: Streaming
Bench: Jeremy Hill, Pierre Thomas, Antone Smith, Travaris Cadet, James Starks, Eric Ebron

#4 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,943 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:52 PM

Yeah he suddenly looks better. Definitely draft-worthy in the 9th-10th with the other top sleepers. I'm a buyer for sure.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#5 hotel06

hotel06

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:54 PM

He'll do the same thing for Rudolph that he did to Cameron.

#6 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:49 AM

I think Rudolph could be more valuable in TD-heavy formats specifically. Not sure if he's as athletic speed-wise as Cameron off the top of my head.

I definitely like both Patterson and Rudolph next year though. Ideally taking Rudolph as my 2nd TE, not my first.
2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#7 Ddam2013

Ddam2013

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

I think Rudolph could be more valuable in TD-heavy formats specifically. Not sure if he's as athletic speed-wise as Cameron off the top of my head.

I definitely like both Patterson and Rudolph next year though. Ideally taking Rudolph as my 2nd TE, not my first.

Yeah I agree, gates (in his prime) and Cameron are extremely athletic players who can stretch the field whereas Rudolph is more of a ten yard chain mover/TD vulture. Now I'm not saying he couldn't be productive, I just wouldn't compare his upside to that of Cameron.
Winning gold is simple, you just have to be the best in the world at it.

#8 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

Strongly depends on who they draft at QB. If they stick with Cassel (doubtful) I'm not down. He has a shot if he gets a rookie QB that puts in a successful rookie season, that's hard to predict, however. Rudolph is a guy who has several nice games with a ton of duds in between. Not jumping all over this guy.

#9 ipg46

ipg46

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Interests:Dumpster Diving

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

Yeah I agree, gates (in his prime) and Cameron are extremely athletic players who can stretch the field whereas Rudolph is more of a ten yard chain mover/TD vulture. Now I'm not saying he couldn't be productive, I just wouldn't compare his upside to that of Cameron.

I agree with these 2 comments. I've been to most of the home games the last couple years, and Rudolph is a lumbering TE. His 40-yard time is around 4.8--I think that's Joe Flacco's speed. He is never going to have a huge yardage season or run in any 50-yard TDs like VD or Graham or Julius Thomas (who isn't as fast as VD or Graham, but did take one 78 yards to the house, something that would give Rudolph a hernia).

Don't get me wrong--I think Rudolph will be real factor to help move the chains and be a threat in the RZ, but it remains to be seen who's throwing to him. Remember, his big year was with Ponder fixating on him in the end-zone...

Yahoo League (Going for the Three-Peat!) (12-teams / QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLX, K, DEF, IDP / 6 pts all TDs / 1 point=50 pass yards or 15 rec yards or 10 rush yards): Drew Brees, Marques Colston, Wes Welker, Greg Jennings, Josh Gordon, LeVeon Bell, Matt Asiata, Toby Gerhart, Ben Tate, Ray Rice, Zach Ertz, LeGarrette Blount

ESPN League (Runner up 2 years running--looking for the win!) (12-teams / QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLX, K, DEF / 4 pts pass TDs; 6 pts all others / 1 point=20 pass yards or 10 rec yards or 10 rush yards): Aaron Rodgers, Randall Cobb, Mike Wallace, Michael Floyd, Josh Gordon, Ben Tate, Frank Gore, Ray Rice, Stevan Ridley, Fred Jackson, Vernon Davis, Larry Donnell, Carlos Hyde

#10 The Long Shot

The Long Shot

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

I agree with these 2 comments. I've been to most of the home games the last couple years, and Rudolph is a lumbering TE. His 40-yard time is around 4.8--I think that's Joe Flacco's speed. He is never going to have a huge yardage season or run in any 50-yard TDs like VD or Graham or Julius Thomas (who isn't as fast as VD or Graham, but did take one 78 yards to the house, something that would give Rudolph a hernia).

Don't get me wrong--I think Rudolph will be real factor to help move the chains and be a threat in the RZ, but it remains to be seen who's throwing to him. Remember, his big year was with Ponder fixating on him in the end-zone...

I personally would rank Rudolph as a top 10 tight end for sure, and potentially even as high as 7th or 8th. His speed is below average, but he possesses Gronk-like size and hands. Obviously the quarterback situation will play a huge factor, but even if it's a downfield passer like Cassel opening the season as the starter, Norv Turner's offense should be much more potent than the offense was last year with Musgrave as OC, which means more red-zone opportunities for Rudolph. Plus, I have to believe that whoever the Vikings draft at QB (an increasing number of mocks have Bridgewater falling to Minny at #8) should at least get some playing time, and if that does happen, look for Rudolph to be used as a security blanket-type, similar to how Ponder used him.

#11 Travdaddy10

Travdaddy10

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

If you want to see how athletic Rudolph is go and watch his pro bowl highlights when he had three TD's. That's how he can be utilized in a good offense with a good QB.

http://www.nfl.com/v...olph-highlights

Edited by Travdaddy10, 19 January 2014 - 02:00 PM.

• SuperJoint and joshua18 like this

#12 joshua18

joshua18

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

If you want to see how athletic Rudolph is go and watch his pro bowl highlights when he had three TD's. That's how he can be utilized in a good offense with a good QB.

Excellent points...easy to forget how Rudolph looked when actually in a capable system.

#13 Travdaddy10

Travdaddy10

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

Excellent points...easy to forget how Rudolph looked when actually in a capable system.

I meant won MVP. Not sure why I said three TD's.

#14 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,943 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

Yeah - he's an athletic big man with hands. He is similar skills-wise to Gronk. Just not a lot of usable tape on him because he's not being used.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#15 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:09 AM

I'm thinking his floor is probably around Jake Ballard 2011 (38 receptions, 604 receiving yards, 4 TDs, 15.9 YPC) or Visanthe Shiancoe 2009 (56 receptions, 566 receiving yards, 11 TDs, 10.1 YPC). Just depends on how much they use him between the 20's vs. in the red zone.

Jordan Cameron put up some duds last season and still ended up with a 80-917-7 statline.

I think 800 receiving yards and 10 TDs isn't a bad / overly optimistic projection, giving Norv's history with tight ends. I'm not expecting him to be the next Gronk or Graham, but he'll likely end up in the 5-8 range of TE's for fantasy points by the end of the season if he stays healthy. That's not terrible if you're able to get him after a lot of people have picked their TE's (Julius Thomas/Graham/Vernon Davis/possibly Cameron, though now with Norv and Chud gone, not sure I want to draft him as one of the first TE's...).

And you have to remember, Gonzalez will likely be gone as well, Gates will be another year older, Finley is questionable with his neck injury, Myers will likely be gone from the Giants, and several teams have taken a committee approach to their TE positions (Bengals, Eagles). And Gronk will be coming off a knee reconstruction.

Unfortunately, Rudolph could shoot up the TE draft boards solely because the field has fallen off considerably. It would not surprise me at all to see a guy like Martellus Bennett going as the 5th or 6th TE consistently in drafts next season, even though his stat line was just 65-759-5 and he has to compete with both Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery for targets.

I may end up drafting Jared Cook again next year as my 2nd or 3rd TE...maybe a platoon of Rudolph / Cook / Pitta / maaaaaaybe Cameron (depends entirely on which coaches land there finally). Maybe Zach Sudfeld or Levine Toilolo. Who knows.

Reaching for a TE next year almost certainly won't be worth it unless you're extremely sure on a particular one.
2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#16 ipg46

ipg46

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Interests:Dumpster Diving

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

If there was ever a year to wait on TE and monitor the wire to find the year's Julius Thomas, it's this year. JT, Graham, and VD will be expensive. Gronk is riskier than ever--severely torn knee on a giant of a man. Everyone else is a flier, no matter how many articles call them "freakishly athletic." I'll be picking a kicker before TE next year...

Yahoo League (Going for the Three-Peat!) (12-teams / QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLX, K, DEF, IDP / 6 pts all TDs / 1 point=50 pass yards or 15 rec yards or 10 rush yards): Drew Brees, Marques Colston, Wes Welker, Greg Jennings, Josh Gordon, LeVeon Bell, Matt Asiata, Toby Gerhart, Ben Tate, Ray Rice, Zach Ertz, LeGarrette Blount

ESPN League (Runner up 2 years running--looking for the win!) (12-teams / QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLX, K, DEF / 4 pts pass TDs; 6 pts all others / 1 point=20 pass yards or 10 rec yards or 10 rush yards): Aaron Rodgers, Randall Cobb, Mike Wallace, Michael Floyd, Josh Gordon, Ben Tate, Frank Gore, Ray Rice, Stevan Ridley, Fred Jackson, Vernon Davis, Larry Donnell, Carlos Hyde

#17 joshua18

joshua18

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

If there was ever a year to wait on TE and monitor the wire to find the year's Julius Thomas, it's this year. JT, Graham, and VD will be expensive. Gronk is riskier than ever--severely torn knee on a giant of a man. Everyone else is a flier, no matter how many articles call them "freakishly athletic." I'll be picking a kicker before TE next year...

Disagree completely. After Graham and Thomas its a crapshoot, but getting a top-5 TE is a big deal. Worth it to spend a 4th rd pick on Thomas (or even Gronk if he's ready by the season opener).

If you pick a kicker over a TE, it better be one you're ready to keep on your team during his bye week.

#18 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

I'm thinking that the fantasy attention on Cordarelle Patterson will also deflect a lot of attention off Rudolph, so I doubt he will be too hyped up. Similar last year except vice versa with Cameron getting all the attention while Josh Gordon got less and both broke out.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#19 ckern92

ckern92

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

I'm thinking that the fantasy attention on Cordarelle Patterson will also deflect a lot of attention off Rudolph, so I doubt he will be too hyped up. Similar last year except vice versa with Cameron getting all the attention while Josh Gordon got less and both broke out.

Gotta disagree. I've seen like 5 different articles already stating that Rudolph will be a god next year with Norv. I think he's going to get too much hype and will probably be a risky play. I can see his stats improving, but I don't see him getting high yardage. As most others have said, his production will highly depend on TDs. I can see him burning several weeks if he doesn't catch one.
My fantasy blog:
www.kernfootball.wordpress.com

#20 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

easily a top 10 TE next year and just as good an option once graham/gronk/thomas/davis are off the board. very underrated athleticism and a decent bet for ~10 TDs next year. he's a great player now in a system that will take advantage of it.
  • munde53 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users