14 replies to this topic

#1 ssmarsh

ssmarsh

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,659 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

Matt Joyce has gained almost 20 pounds this offseason in hopes he'll have more power and will stay stronger throughout the season.
"I think that in itself is going to help," Joyce told the Tampa Bay Times. "Everything looked great last year, but I felt a little weaker." Joyce started last season strong, hitting 14 home runs through June 15, but went on to hit just four over a dismal second half. He'll likely serve as the Rays' everyday DH next season.

Interesting.    If he's getting everyday AB's, is he worth a keep?
10 team, AL only, auction, keeper. Weekly roster moves, monthly access to FA's. We count holds as save/2. Players who qualify at DH can play OF.

C - C.Ianetta ($8), C.Stewart ($1)
1B - N.Swisher ($16); 3B - K.Youkilis ($11); CO - P.Konerko ($27)
2B - D.Pedroia ($24) ; SS - Y.Escobar ($11); MI - K.Johnson ($12)
OF - N.Cruz ($21), M.Morse ($21), T.Hunter ($11), M.Joyce ($8), J.Maxwell ($3)
DH - L.Cain ($11)
SP - J.Verlander ($32), J.Peavy ($7), E.Santana ($6), P.Hughes ($6), M.Buehrle ($4), J.Masterson ($1)
RP - J.Johnson ($12), S.Delabar ($4), D.O'Day ($0)
Bench - M.DeRosa ($0), H.Conger ($0), J.Iglesias ($0), L.Overbay ($0), P.Humber ($0), D.Smyly ($1), S.Kazmir ($0)

#2 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,462 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

He'll live and die with his ability to fix his platoon splits.  His 2H fade was clearly a part due to fatigue, but I think at age 29, he is what he is - a RH masher, who clearly understands how to crush them.  The nice part is that is he on the high end of any platoon.  But, I don't know if he'll sniff 500 PA's - as long as Sean Rodriguez (the mirror version of Joyce) is on the team, you'll see him sit against most LHP's (BOS - that's Lester & maybe Doubront, NYY - Sabathia, TOR - Buerhle & Happ, BAL - Chen).  In the AL, about 1/4 or more of the starters are LHP's, so it does put a very clear cap on his ceiling.

Honestly, he's someone you fill at the end of most rosters in AL-only leagues or 16+-league rosters, IMO.  Probably doesn't even sniff mixed-league drafts because of the limit of his max PA's, and his platoon splits.   Reminds me a lot of Seth Smith fantasy-wise (great for daily league adds, but hard to count on for weekly lineups, and tough to justify a spot on benches in mixed leagues).  

He could return a nice profit on that type of endgame investment, but the cap on his ceiling makes him more of a speculative guy to track for the endgame than anything else.
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
AL-only 5x5, Roto - 2010 & 2011 league champion
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#3 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,268 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:54 AM

View PostRotoRaysfan, on 19 January 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

He'll live and die with his ability to fix his platoon splits.  His 2H fade was clearly a part due to fatigue, but I think at age 29, he is what he is - a RH masher, who clearly understands how to crush them.  The nice part is that is he on the high end of any platoon.  But, I don't know if he'll sniff 500 PA's - as long as Sean Rodriguez (the mirror version of Joyce) is on the team, you'll see him sit against most LHP's (BOS - that's Lester & maybe Doubront, NYY - Sabathia, TOR - Buerhle & Happ, BAL - Chen).  In the AL, about 1/4 or more of the starters are LHP's, so it does put a very clear cap on his ceiling.

Honestly, he's someone you fill at the end of most rosters in AL-only leagues or 16+-league rosters, IMO.  Probably doesn't even sniff mixed-league drafts because of the limit of his max PA's, and his platoon splits.   Reminds me a lot of Seth Smith fantasy-wise (great for daily league adds, but hard to count on for weekly lineups, and tough to justify a spot on benches in mixed leagues).  

He could return a nice profit on that type of endgame investment, but the cap on his ceiling makes him more of a speculative guy to track for the endgame than anything else.

It's funny that you mention both Joyce and Smith because I had both in my 16-team points league last season. It's a daily league and it's great to have guys with those kind of platoon numbers on your team. Platooning them at my Util position gave me great value per PA.

I agree that he is what he is. He's a platoon player who will only play vs righties but will give you value in those limited PA's because he hits righties so well. He's indeed more a guy for deeper leagues and AL-only. Or someone you pick up when he's hot and you know he'll be facing plenty of righties during a certain stretch. You can drop him afterwards once the lefties come back into play.

Edited by Sine_cera, 20 January 2014 - 07:54 AM.

"There's nothing more interesting than your own rotisserie team and nothing less interesting than someone else's." - Daniel Okrent

"If you challenge the conventional wisdom, you will find ways to do things much better than they are currently done." - Bill James

#4 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

Where does he play?  Aren't Zobrist, Myers and Jennings the full time OF now?  Will Zobrist be used at 2B again to give Joyce AB's?  Will Joyce DH some?  Seems to me Myers sealed Joyce's fate of never being anything but a fourth OF now.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory, 20 January 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#5 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,268 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

View PostThe Big Bat Theory, on 20 January 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

Where does he play?  Aren't Zobrist, Myers and Jennings the full time OF now?  Will Zobrist be used at 2B again to give Joyce AB's?  Will Joyce DH some?  Seems to me Myers sealed Joyce's fate of never being anything but a fourth OF now.

I expect Zobrist to be the 2B, Joyce the DH and DeJesus playing the OF along with Jennings and Myers.
"There's nothing more interesting than your own rotisserie team and nothing less interesting than someone else's." - Daniel Okrent

"If you challenge the conventional wisdom, you will find ways to do things much better than they are currently done." - Bill James

#6 TrueShoe

TrueShoe

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

Brandon Guyer will probably be in the mix as well.
Gearing up for baseball.

#7 lolix

lolix

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:33 AM

I don't think Guyer makes the team. Joyce won't get much playing time at all against lefties, Rodriguez will probably play the field and DH will be a revolving door giving the position players a rest.

#8 El_Chingon

El_Chingon

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

Quietly mashing.  This guy is gold for deeper leagues if you can pay attention and start vs. RHP, bench vs. lefties.

#9 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,920 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

In typical Joyce fashion having a nice April, May's are usually amazin, and then the wheels fall off.

#10 supac720

supac720

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:37 PM

Probably the only #3 hitter in an MLB lineup that isn't universally owned in majority of fantasy leagues.

#11 peelpub94

peelpub94

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:53 PM

Joyce is probably the waiver wire all star year after year. Too bad he barely sees the line up when facing a Lefty. Great bench guy to have. Grabbed him during the Gomez suspension.

#12 Dxu8888

Dxu8888

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

Dude is totally underrated. Just look at this thread.
He has a 1080 OPS... good for 3rd in MLB this year. But only rostered in 15% of yahoo leagues. It is like no one knows who this guy is??
Even his manager doesn't believe him. Benches him against lefties and uses Logan Forsythe?
He put on 20Lb this year.. More muscle = more production...

Edited by Dxu8888, 25 April 2014 - 11:13 PM.

#13 billydough

billydough

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:14 PM

Yeah I'm really wishing my Tigers had kept this guy around.
"Democracy is the pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - HL Mencken

#14 Rabbit Maranville

Rabbit Maranville

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:13 AM

I love this guy. 0-0 with 5 BB last night.
7-team Dynasty H2H
------------------------------
C-  Ossee Schreckengost
1B- Hee-Seop Choi
2B- Bo Hart  
3B- Doug Strange
SS- Matt Stairs
OF- Quinton McCracken
OF- Nemo Leibold
OF- William Beane
UTIL- Kevin Young
BN- Tony Womack, Abner Dalrymple
SP- Luis Tiant, Dustin Nippert, Rick Ankiel, Charles Radbourn, Bea Arthur, Bob Walk
RP- Mike Fetters, The Hamburglar, Byung-Hyun Kim, Joe Table

DL- Mark Prior

#15 grandchamp

grandchamp

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:04 AM

Picked him up for this week. Batting .063 with 1 rb and 1 run in 16 at bats.  Kind of how my luck works

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users