86 replies to this topic

#1 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

He is not a youngster and his speed may be declining. The Sox veteran is also coming off thumb surgery during the off-season and he did miss 40 games last year. However, on a per-game basis he still had a very good 2013.

Although it was not discussed much, Victorino gave up switch hitting late last season. It was a small sample size but the results for R v R were pretty solid. 100 AB, 6 HR, .300 BA, .896 OPS.

It's been well established that his righty swing has always been significantly more productive than from the left side. I've always felt he would be a better player if he ditched his left handed stroke. Anyway, career splits are as follows:
RH vs LHP: .879 OPS, .203 ISO
LH vs RHP: .726 OPS, .132 ISO
RH vs RHP: .862 OPS, .214 ISO

Does anybody else feel that he's poised for a possible breakout season on power and BA if he continues to hit primarily right-handed?

Thoughts?

#2 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,546 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

I read that he'll likely go back to switch hitting. If this is true I'll probably avoid him, as I owned him in 2012 when he really got exposed for it.

Edited by Posting In The Clutch, 19 January 2014 - 02:12 PM.

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me

That I live and you are gone.

There's a grief that can't be spoken.

There's a pain goes on and on.

#3 oldwolf

oldwolf

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

I read that he'll likely go back to switch hitting. If this is true I'll probably avoid him, as I owned him in 2012 when he really got exposed for it.

Heard the same also heard the reason he gave up switch hitting was because of the thumb.

#4 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

Heard the same also heard the reason he gave up switch hitting was because of the thumb.

Gave up switch hitting because of his right hamstring. It would tighten up anytime he would hit lefty and try to run out of the box to first. His problem in his career has normally been hitting righties. If forcing him to hit righties for a long stretch helped him get better there, as his numbers show he did, then he could looking at another really solid year. Also, without Ellsbury, they'll be looking for him to steal a few more bags and help manufacture some runs. Certainly declining, but 33 isn't a death knell. Potential 20/30 guy, all though something like last years 15/20 is a more reasonable expectation.

#5 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

Everyone BUT Victorino wants him to give up being a switch hitter after last year. Ferrell even mentioned it late in the season. But if Victorino insists on remaining a switch hitter what can you do except hope for more hammy tightness to bring him back to the reality that he hit better NOT being a switch hitter. And more important to fantasy owners he hit with some decent power.

#6 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

I can't remember the last time a player's value fluctuated 50 spots on him NOT switch hitting. That LH swing is the wimpy-est, slappy-est piece of junk there is. I think 2000 of my posts were in last year's gameday threads just cheering on his RH swing. I've owned this guy for so many years, but a divorce is coming if he doesn't give up that 10 year old pinata swing as a lefty.
  • Posting In The Clutch, FearTheBeard and The Big Bat Theory like this

#7 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

Reporter: Any thoughts to giving up LH hitting?

SV: I'll let you guys watch & learn.

Oh baby, Vegas odds just went from 5% to 15% no SH. Just a prolonged ST slump from left side and/or right thumb discomfort from it increasing even more. (Why the thumb? Pick up a bat and see which way your right thumb impacts more)

#8 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

Sorry to tell you but John Ferell confirmed that Victorino is going back to switch hitting. Guess we can but hope for more hammy issues so he will give up that left -handed swing again.

In other news Farell said that as of now Victorino will be in a platoon lead off situation with Daniel Nava. Nava will lead off when he is in the game and Victorino should bat second in those games. Otherwise Victorino would lead-off. Sox do not have a classic lead-off guy at this point with Victorino's speed declining and Nava, while no base stealer at all, does have a high OPS.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory, 18 February 2014 - 10:05 PM.

#9 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:47 PM

Farrell today: Everything I know says he'll switch hit. But I've come to learn he can change on the fly. Source: http://mlb.mlb.com/n...2&vkey=news_mlb
Doesn't sound like confirmation of anything.

On this one fantasy topic, I'm going to follow it with a fine tooth comb myself. WEEI, The Globe, mlb Red Sox. Don't even have to be a Sox fan with the great interwebs.

Leadoff dilemma: Already being discussed in the Nava thread (that I started). He's my super OF sleeper.

Edited by bbythepier, 18 February 2014 - 10:48 PM.

#10 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

Just wanted to bring this Victorino switch hitting thing full circle. The Fangraphs nerds reminded everyone on their podcast this week that Billy Hamilton was always a RH hitter, but was taught LH not long ago to take advantage of his speed and the 0.2 second head start it gives him. Consequently, Billy Ham will always be a better RHB.

Same thing with Shane. The Phillies tried to teach Shane LH in A ball, he s**t canned it for 2 years, then tried again in AA of 2002. So it's not like SV embraced it from the get go, he ain't no even splits Chipper Jones. As his speed wanes into his 30s, that 0.2 second head start isn't as useful. Fantasy owners would much rather him pepper The Monster.
  • damana likes this

#11 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

Free at last, free at last, thank god almighty we're (almost) free at last.
*Coach Farrell suggests Shane is seriously considering ditching LHB'ing.

(PITC mentioned in the Billy Burns MiLB thread he was taught LHB in the minors. So was Billy Hamilton. Those swings are often slap swings. Good riddance.)
  • The Big Bat Theory likes this

#12 CalledShot

CalledShot

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

I liked that his splits as RHB vs. RHP were more than just respectable..."as he hit .300/.386/.510 with six homers and 14 RBI in 100 at-bats as a right-handed hitter against same-handed hurlers"

#13 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,546 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

(PITC mentioned in the Billy Burns MiLB thread he was taught LHB in the minors. So was Billy Hamilton. Those swings are often slap swings. Good riddance.)

About time Victorino came to his senses.

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me

That I live and you are gone.

There's a grief that can't be spoken.

There's a pain goes on and on.

#14 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

Sure enough, Victorino keeps telling the world he hasn't given up on SH and continues to take LH swings in BP....followed by a sore right thumb. As I said somewhere above in his thread, give up the charade Shane. You barely use your right thumb in the RH swing, it's your palm & fingers that take the impact. *swinging my favorite Will Clark bat as I type this*

#15 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

Finally! And the first time he gave up on switch hitting this spring he got hit in the arm. He lead the league in being hit by pitches last season so he is a lock to repeat for sure now cause he leans out so much over the plate when he hits righty. Great news in OPS league, hah.

#16 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

Like Reyes, I hate these preseason hammy tweaks. Lingers & lingers it seems. It's ok if it's Ryan Zimmerman, he doesn't run anyway. But when part of your stat profile is SBs, ugh.

#17 bturn10

bturn10

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

this dude is such a band-aid...becoming very concerned about his health..gonna try to deal him ha
12 Team H2H League

C - Salvador Perez
1B - Victor Martinez
2B - Daniel Murphy
3B - Pablo Sandoval
SS - Ian Desmond
OF - Mike Trout / Yasiel Puig / Hunter Pence / Alex Gordon
Util - Adrian Gonzalez / Corey Dickerson
BN - Christian Yelich, AJ Pollock, Ryan Zimmerman

SP - Chris Sale / Gio Gonzalez / Mat Latos / Jered Weaver / Kyle Lohse / Hiroki Kuroda / Ian Kennedy / Mike Leake
RP - Dellin Betances / Joaquin Benoit / Pat Neshek

#18 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,245 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

The Red Sox won't known until Monday whether Shane Victorino (hamstring) will be ready for Opening Day.
Victorino strained his right hamstring Saturday but won't undergo an MRI until Monday morning. Boston plays in Baltimore at 4 ET, but they think the outfielder will be able to get to the game in time if he's cleared. Victorino expressed optimism shortly after the injury that he'd be fine, but manager John Farrell said the 33-year-old is "questionable" for the opener.

Source: Pete Abraham on Twitter
Mar 30 - 12:51 PM

What's with the lackadaisical approach? Is the MRI store closed on the weekends?
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#19 jr11890

jr11890

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

Too risky for weekly leagues
16 Team H2H Non Points League Non Keeper
Positions:C 1B 2B 3B SS OF OF OF SP SP SP SP SP BN BN BN BN BN DL DL DL DL
Categories:R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BB K'S AVG OBP IP W L CG SHO HR K'S ERA WHIP QS
C-Molina 1B-Freeman 2B-Carpenter 3B-Beltre SS-Boaegerts OF-Puig,Craig,Calhoun
SP-Kershaw,Cueto,Ventura,Burnett,Arietta,Odorizzi,Smyly
BN-Peralta,Crisp
DL-Holland,Victorino,Crawford,N.Walker

#20 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

this dude is such a band-aid...becoming very concerned about his health..gonna try to deal him ha

The cryin Hawaiian up to his old tricks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users