Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Julian Edelman 2014 Season OutlookStopgap or star?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 joshua18

joshua18

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

Assuming he's back in NE, is he a top-20 WR again?  Please discuss.

#2 Fantasymaestro

Fantasymaestro

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

Top 15 upside definitely, but the patriots basically eliminate a player's floor, (look at Ridley.)
A flex decision is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God

#3 SurlyRobot

SurlyRobot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

I wonder if JimmyGs is going to show up quoting awful sabremetrics and encouraging everyone to drop him for Austin Collie again.

#4 dmb3684

dmb3684

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,762 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

View PostFantasymaestro, on 19 January 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

Top 15 upside definitely, but the patriots basically eliminate a player's floor, (look at Ridley.)

Ridley eliminated his own floor.

#5 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

I think Dobson breaks out next season, but Edelman should still be a top 20-25 option.

#6 Fantasymaestro

Fantasymaestro

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

View Postdmb3684, on 19 January 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

View PostFantasymaestro, on 19 January 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

Ridley eliminated his own floor.

That's a good point. Ridley wasn't a good exam[ple. but if you look at the Patriots hype train, it went from
Sudfeld-Amendola-Edelman. Then Edelman did nothing for 6 straight weeks at which point the hype want back and forth between one of their often injured X receivers (Dobson or Thompkins) then back to Edelman.
Point being, no one knows with wrs in NE not named Welker
A flex decision is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God

#7 Gains

Gains

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:22 AM

^^^ yeah I admit I got caught this year trying to land "the next big thing" with pats. Sud, Dola, Edelmen, Kenbrell........fell for them all.

Veeren doesn't really count do to injury. I didn't bit on dobson.

Pats always hard to gauge.

#8 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,996 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

View Postmunde53, on 19 January 2014 - 10:38 PM, said:

I think Dobson breaks out next season, but Edelman should still be a top 20-25 option.

I have to disagree on Dobson. I watched a lot of Pats games this year and he is egregiously bad IMO. His hands are historically terrible.

#9 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

I highly doubt the Pats bring Edelman back, in which case his fantasy value goes kaput.

The Pats rarely reward guys for career years unless they are true game-changers. Plus, his "career" year wasn't even all that productive--the 105 catches and 1,056 yards look nice and shiny, but it took him 151 targets to get there, which is very weak.

Could see him going to a team that aims to emulate the Pats system. Good luck with that lol.

#10 joshua18

joshua18

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

View PostMy Dinner With Andre, on 20 January 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

I highly doubt the Pats bring Edelman back, in which case his fantasy value goes kaput.

The Pats rarely reward guys for career years unless they are true game-changers. Plus, his "career" year wasn't even all that productive--the 105 catches and 1,056 yards look nice and shiny, but it took him 151 targets to get there, which is very weak.

Could see him going to a team that aims to emulate the Pats system. Good luck with that lol.

Both he and the Pats know that his value on the open market isn't that great.  No reason they wouldn't bring him back, especially given how unreliable Amendola is.  No reason to compromise with WRs given how short Brady's elite window is.

#11 SurlyRobot

SurlyRobot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

Andre still hating on Edelman. Bust out some more of those awesome sabremetrics man, they were right on the money in 2013! JimmyGs at least had the decency to admit he was wrong. You're sticking to those guns though eh?

#12 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

Maybe they can just copy and paste Amedola's contract and white his name out.

#13 predator_05

predator_05

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

Excellent player. Great route runner, can go over the middle, can play outside. Yards after the catch. Plays tough. Has a great understanding with Brady and turned himself into the Pats' go-to guy. His performances against Denver (in the comeback win) and in Miami are ones that will stay with me for a while; he made one great play after another with the game on the line, crucial 3rd downs, big catches to continue drives, and some memorable TDs.

100+ catches this year is no fluke, and you don't replace that kind of production. Someone has to catch 100+ passes in this offense and he is the best receiver they have at this point in time.
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#14 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

View PostSurlyRobot, on 20 January 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

Andre still hating on Edelman. Bust out some more of those awesome sabremetrics man, they were right on the money in 2013! JimmyGs at least had the decency to admit he was wrong. You're sticking to those guns though eh?

Amazing how you still remember my position on Edelman from six months ago. Truly. I barely remember it.

Anyway, define 'wrong'.

He got targeted 151 times and converted it into 1,056 yards and 6 TDs. Nice fantasy year.

However, look at Brady's year. Mediocre by his standards. And a lot of that lackluster production stems from throwing to a mediocre talent like Edelman.

In September I predicted Edelman would be phased out of the Patriot offense over the course of the year. I was wrong.

I am still allowed to have a bearish position on the player though.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre, 20 January 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#15 mpat15

mpat15

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

100% a gut feeling...

.....but I think Edleman walks, and they try and replace him with Amendola.

I just think the Pats lowball Edleman and some team desperate for a name signs him to a 3/30 type deal with a bit more gaurenteed money then the pats will offer.

#16 The Mighty Men

The Mighty Men

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

I think Edelman will be back. New England learned its lesson last year by letting Welker walk.

Edelman's greatest value, both on the field with production and in his pocket for earning the highest paycheck, is with New England. Yesterday was another confirmation that Brady is having troubling throwing the deep ball. He needs to keep throwing the short passes, and Edelman is perfect for this.

#17 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

new england learned its lesson by making the afc championship and having another player on the roster post 100 receptions?

#18 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

View PostSenatorSpaceman, on 20 January 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

View Postmunde53, on 19 January 2014 - 10:38 PM, said:

I have to disagree on Dobson. I watched a lot of Pats games this year and he is egregiously bad IMO. His hands are historically terrible.
I'll take your word on it. I haven't seen too many of the Patriots games this season. However, I'm guessing most of his in effectiveness was due to learning an entirely new offense. Maybe once he gets the offense down he'll be able to focus more on catching the ball.

#19 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,941 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

View PostSurlyRobot, on 19 January 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

I wonder if JimmyGs is going to show up quoting awful sabremetrics and encouraging everyone to drop him for Austin Collie again.

LOL, was going to post the same thing.  Probably the worst advice on the forums in the 2013 season.  A few people actually listened to him as well.

#20 ckern92

ckern92

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

I actually have a good feeling about Edelman. I thought all year that Amendola would morph into brady's new "Welker" - that mid-field guy good for the 5-10 yard comfort passes. With his constant injuries, he never made any chemistry. But it seems like Brady has become really comfortable using Edelman. They've connected to the point where Brady is always using him when he panicks. I can see them keeping up this trend of high mid-field targets into next season.
My fantasy blog:
www.kernfootball.wordpress.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users