Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

2014 Kickers Season ThreadWas a stupid idea last year, remains a stupid idea this year.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:47 AM

So lets just pretend including kickers is not a terrible idea for minute.

obviously you don't draft one if possible and pick one up last minute, or at least draft them last.

there are no Premium kickers......Blair Walsh 2013 stank and Crosby re surged, Hartley got fired.

impossible to predict when you get 0 points and when you get 20.

that said ^

ideas.?

I like gostkowski/tucker...but both likely will be actually drafted or drafted before last pick.

otherwise just some guy that can kicker 50+ yards reliably and on a good O.

#2 joshua18

joshua18

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

Kickers are a horrible idea only if you don't care about winning...consistent double-digits from a kicker can offset a dud by an RB1 (CJ0K, Adrian Peterson in 2011 and 2013 fantasy playoffs) or WR1 (i.e. Julio Jones in 2012, Megatron in last year's title game). The difference between a kicker that can consistently make 50+ yard FGs vs. one that misses them = 1 TD.

That being said, the best kickers are:
1. In offenses that are good at running the ball (recipe for lots of RZ possessions that stall, leading to FGs) -- Hauschka, Dawson
2. In offenses that score a ton, leading to lots of extra points - Prater
3. Are automatic from inside 40 yards and are at least 50-60% from beyond 40 yards - Tucker, Gostkowski
4. Play the majority of their games indoors -- Vinatieri, Bryant
5. Not injured

Any kicker who fits all of these criteria is as rare as a waiver-wire gem and will get double-digit points more often than not. Never trust an injured kicker (i.e. Cundiff 2011, Walsh 2013) -- they will burn you, no matter how "small" the injury is.

#3 GreatScott!

GreatScott!

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

I've won a number of games over the years by having a consistent kicker.  There are guys in my league that have a kicker on their team who is ranked 20th in points (10 team league) and it amazes me.  Why not pick up a kicker with more points?  That's ok though.  More wins for me!  Anyways, I usually draft a kicker in the last round or 2nd to last round, though usually I end up picking someone up later on during the year.  My league awards bonus points for long distance, so I always first look for kickers who kick longer FG's. After that, I like guys who kick inside and play on teams that can move the ball on offense.  Walsh is a great NFL kicker, but he was a dud with that Minny offense.  Actually Walsh was the guy I drafted, but I think I used Haushka, Vinateri and Dawson during the year.  Robbie Gould is a good guy to have as well. Prater is an obvious name and Gotskowski is normally solid as well.  It amazes me that there isn't a great kicking option with the Saints.  I know people hate drafting kickers, but those are the rules, so I say don't ignore the position.
Da Bears!

#4 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

Prater won me at least 3 games this year that I can remember.

Let's not forget about Dan Bailey who is as reliable as they come.

And why do we have a kicker thread for 14 before the super bowl?

#5 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,961 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

There are worse things in life than being a NFL kicker...

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet
Terms for #Cowboys K Dan Bailey’s extension: It’s 6 years (starts in ‘15) for $22.5M. $4M to sign and $7.5M guaranteed. $3.4M per in new $$

"There's nothing more interesting than your own rotisserie team and nothing less interesting than someone else's." - Daniel Okrent

"If you challenge the conventional wisdom, you will find ways to do things much better than they are currently done." - Bill James

#6 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

Not saying Kickers can't win games or are sub human. I am saying the opportunities they get are far too random for FF.

Multiple weeks you have a guy that gives you 20 points at kicker one week then 0-1-2-3 the next.

The point is that predicting kicker production is dam near impossible

#7 Ddam2013

Ddam2013

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:53 PM

View PostGains, on 25 January 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

Not saying Kickers can't win games or are sub human. I am saying the opportunities they get are far too random for FF.

Multiple weeks you have a guy that gives you 20 points at kicker one week then 0-1-2-3 the next.

The point is that predicting kicker production is dam near impossible
I've come to that realization too, so to minimize the risk I look at two things when drafting kickers.
1. If they can kick 50+ yard field goals, the reason for this is quite simple in most leagues a 50 yard field goal is worth 6 points which is semi-decent production for a kicker
2. Plays on a good offense. This reason is also quite simple if a team scores 4/5 TDs a week that plus a chance at a 50 yard field goal per week will give you about 10 points.
Winning gold is simple, you just have to be the best in the world at it.

#8 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

^ true that is the best you can do. But is it still not very good.

but based on that Huaska,Vinateri, Hartely would all be good.

Hartley busted.

Vinateri and Huascka both had 20 ish point games followed by duds. Oddly enough I remember losing when huascka had 20 points but winning the next when he gave me 2 points.

Folk had a good run early and mid season as a good kicker despite not meeting the normal Good O + 50s. criteria.

#9 Ddam2013

Ddam2013

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

View PostGains, on 25 January 2014 - 09:08 PM, said:

^ true that is the best you can do. But is it still not very good.

but based on that Huaska,Vinateri, Hartely would all be good.

Hartley busted.

Vinateri and Huascka both had 20 ish point games followed by duds. Oddly enough I remember losing when huascka had 20 points but winning the next when he gave me 2 points.

Folk had a good run early and mid season as a good kicker despite not meeting the normal Good O + 50s. criteria.
The ones that I feel fit that MO are (in my personal rankings)
1. Prater
2. Gostkowski
3. Crosby
(They fit the profile the best)
4. Walsh
5. Tucker
6. Hauschka
7. Gould
8. Legatron
9. Dawson
10. Bailey
I also refuse to draft a kicker before the last round of the draft so the kicker that meets my criteria and I'll be able to draft is probably Crosby.
Winning gold is simple, you just have to be the best in the world at it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users