56 replies to this topic

#1 v0dka

v0dka

I ♥ football

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

Speaking Monday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league could eventually abolish the extra point.
"The extra point is almost automatic," Goodell said. "I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd. So it's a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play." Goodell said the league is intrigued by a proposal that would automatically grant seven points for every touchdown, but still allow teams to try for an eighth point via a traditional offensive play. The catch is that if you fail to convert, the touchdown then becomes worth only six points. Perhaps the most perfunctory play in sports, extra points serve almost no purpose at the professional level.

http://www.nfl.com/n...sh-extra-points

I'm in huge favor of moving the XP back 10 yards or so. At least that would add some skill to things. Removing the XP completely just doesn't add anything to the game, it subtracts.
  • whiskeyriver likes this
@MikeBaileyNFL

#2 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

I don't get it. If there was no 2-pt conversion, it'd be an issue. But no one is stopping coaches from going for two points any time they'd like.

Also, in response to v0dka's comment (I've heard other people advocate for this as well), I don't think moving the XP back 10 yards would make much a difference. Place kickers as a whole are much better--and improving--compared to say, 20-30 years ago (http://www.cbsnews.c...over-the-years/). You'd have to move it back to like, 50, to markedly impact the risk/reward and/or make the play remotely interesting imo.

#3 Bluecore

Bluecore

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

I feel like this would make the K position in fantasy far more flukey than it already is. You could realistically go multiple weeks with donuts at kicker. Then again, it would make drafting them actually valuable since some kickers clearly have more value than others. Teams with s---y red zone resumes and lots of stalled drives would actually make their kickers worth valuable draft picks in my opinion.

Edited by Bluecore, 23 January 2014 - 03:05 PM.

Team 1 (12 team, 6 point pass TD) (6-2)

Week 7 lineup: Big Ben, T.Wll, A.Johnson, K.Benjamin, Bradshaw, Murray, Gronkowski, John Brown, Vinatieri, Baltimore DST
Bench: Romo, Cadet, Forte, Cobb, J.Randle

Team 2 (12 team, 1/25 return yardage) (6-2)

Week 7 lineup: Brees, K.Allen, A.Hawkins, Ivory, Bradshaw, Tim Wright, John Brown, R.Bullock, Cleveland DST
Bench: Keenan Allen, Chris Ivory, Cecil Shorts, Travaris Cadet, Coby Fleener, Ka'Deem Carey

Team 3 (10 team standard) (7-1)

Week 7 lineup: Brady, Forte, Lamar Miller, Kelvin Benjamin, Jordy, Gronkowski, A. Bradshaw, Dan Bailey, Ravens DST
Bench: S.Jax, McFadden, J.Gordon, AJ Green, Andre Ellington, Jennings, Romo

#4 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

go for 2 every time should be the way to go ... until someone gets a concussion

#5 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

It totally kills the "pick the kicker of the other teams QB" strategy in 4pt pass td leagues.

Also it is lame. Move the extra point back 10-20. yards. Kickers will miss it from time to time. Hell they miss the extra point as is occasionally.

#6 munde53

munde53

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

I've heard discussion of a seven point TD, then teams have the option of running an extra play for one point. However, if they do not convert the extra point play, a point will be subtracted from their score.

#7 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

I've heard discussion of a seven point TD, then teams have the option of running an extra play for one point. However, if they do not convert the extra point play, a point will be subtracted from their score.

This is the most likely option for the NFL right now. Moving back the extra point would be pointless. It would be tough to find the right distance, and this would increase the effect of kickers in the game who already have a huge effect. The play should be removed completey. Give the team the option to go for 8 and if they miss it turns into 6.

By doing this, the game becomes shorter, less chance of injuries, and with the shorter length the NFL could look into expanding replay a little bit more. The game won't be elongated if you subtract the boring extra point and add replay.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#8 megamoviejohn

megamoviejohn

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

I hope they get rid of it just like fantasy football should get rid of kickers.
  • Ryan81 likes this
Rotoworld Dynasty Football League
12 Teams- .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, RB/WR, TE, Full Flex, D/ST, K
2010, 2012, 2013 Champions
QB: Kaepernick, Rivers, Palmer
RB: Peterson, Charles, McCoy, Lacy, Helu,
WR: J. Jones, Marshall, J. Gordon, DeAndrew Hopkins, Shorts, Bowe, Bailey, Landry
TE: Grownkowski, V. Davis, Ertz
K: Graham
D/ST: New England Patriots, Bears

#9 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

couldn't agree more ... lost out on an extra $600 and winning all 4 money leagues because of tucker's week 15.

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast, 23 January 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#10 munde53

munde53

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

If they get rid of the extra point, Matt Prater become irrelevant.

#11 joshua18

joshua18

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

The guy who has the longest FG in NFL history, who hasn't missed from inside 40 yards? I don't think so.

#12 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

The guy who has the longest FG in NFL history, who hasn't missed from inside 40 yards? I don't think so.

Prater had 75 extra points, the second highest kicker had 52.

Prater was only 18th in field goal attempts.

Theoretically it could penalize good kickers for being on very good offenses that score TDs rather than kick field goals.

On the other hand, it wasnt Praters kicking skill that got him those 75 extra points....

#13 Timmah!

Timmah!

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

Eliminating the extra point isn't going to make games shorter. It will remove a couple of minutes, at most from the average game length. People underestimate just how much time in the game is spent not playing and how little is actual game action.

I'm torn, because there's no denying that the outcome of the play is all but a certainty. At the same time, though if this happens and the kickoff is eliminated - and that's already on the way - then two of the five instances in which a football player actually puts his foot to the ball during the game will be gone.

Change the game's name to Throwball already and be done with it.
SoB Tifo ~ AD FINEM FIDELIS ~ Bearfight Brigade

"Oh, you can't scare me, I'm stickin' to the Union!"

#14 mbroo5880i

mbroo5880i

'07 It's Madness Champ

• Established Members
  • 5,217 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

It seems like they are addressing an issue that doesn't exist. There is still strategy in deciding to go for one point or two. It still impacts the game.

The idea of removing a point if a two point conversion fails is odd. I am not sure of any sport where points are taken off the board.

Mike Greenburg had a good suggestion the other day. Why not move the ball to the one yard line? This might encourage teams to attempt more two point conversions.

#15 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

Denver scores a lot of touchdowns
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#16 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

It seems like they are addressing an issue that doesn't exist. There is still strategy in deciding to go for one point or two. It still impacts the game.

The idea of removing a point if a two point conversion fails is odd. I am not sure of any sport where points are taken off the board.

Mike Greenburg had a good suggestion the other day. Why not move the ball to the one yard line? This might encourage teams to attempt more two point conversions.

I highly doubt teams would take advantage of this. There may be a few extra 2 point conversions but it would be insignificant over a full season of games.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#17 munde53

munde53

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

Take away his extra points from this season and he wouldn't even be top 15.

#18 mbroo5880i

mbroo5880i

'07 It's Madness Champ

• Established Members
  • 5,217 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

I highly doubt teams would take advantage of this. There may be a few extra 2 point conversions but it would be insignificant over a full season of games.

It's hard to say. A team with a big fullback might use it. I think they should just leave it alone. I would lose interest in a sport that regulates out a fundamental play after 100 years or takes points off the scoreboard.

#19 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

It's tough to say without crunching the numbers.

The success rate for extra points is obviously like 99.999999999999%

For two points, it's around 50%.

Now, logic would dictate that 50% risk is too much for coaches for an additional point. If you move the two point conversion spot up by one yard and the success rate goes up to say, 65%, are coaches more apt to try for two more often? Possibly.

#20 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

I'm good with the automatic point. Coach holds up one finger after a TD, put it on the board. Or just leave it be. Whatever. I don't really see it making much of a difference, although I suppose it could save a few injuries over the course of a season, which I think is the real concept behind it.

But I'd leave kickoffs alone. Don't keep screwing with the greatest game around
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan