189 replies to this topic

#1 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

I was all over this guy last year, and quite frankly, was disappointed.

Reggie Wayne going down saved his campaign, upgrading him to a streaky WR with weekly blow-up potential. I still can't ignore him having awesome chemistry with a top 7 (in not 5) QB in the league. Reggie is a huge hinge on TY's value, to what extent will he be able to bounce back? And I also can't ignore the way he ended the season...especially that KC game obviously.

And do you think his role in 2014 will have streakiness baked right in again? It comes with the territory with being almost an exclusive deep threat. TY did step up a little bit with more quick routes, and intermediate routes, but a combo of Wayne and Brazil could swipe up the quick inside slant and intermediate targets.

All-in-all I'll probably view him as a solid flex next year, his blow-up potential could make him a little more expensive than last year, when every owner is thinking of the KC game as the last thought they saw of him.

#2 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

I see him being somewhat over drafted based on how he ended the season. Like you said,a lot depends on what happens with Wayne.
The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

#3 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

with wayne TY failed to top 5 points in 5 of 7 games.
in the 2nd half of the season, without wayne, TY failed to score double digits in 6 of 9 games.

i love the guy in real life but he was basically useless (5 points or less) in 10/16 games this year. what's concerning is that 5 of those were without wayne.

#4 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

Colts as a whole seem streaky and Hilton seem streakier then many others on the team.

Doesn't mean he couldn't explode and score 20, 17, 21 for the 3 playoff championship weeks.......but if he didn't show up it wouldn't shock me either.

The fact it took them so long to bail on DHB has me questioning minds in Indy. Playoffs or not I still am not a Pep Hamilton fan.

good news(FF wise for hilton) is wayne will be a 35 year old coming off ACL surgery. Even Marvin Harrison went down hill at age 35.

#5 Dr.Funktopus

Dr.Funktopus

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

The fact it took them so long to bail on DHB has me questioning minds in Indy. Playoffs or not I still am not a Pep Hamilton fan.

This and then this again!

I do not like Pep Hamilton in the slightest, who seems to emphasize philosophy over productivity - i.e., sticking with the power run despite it never working, DHB debacle... This team would be a lot more productive if they adapted to their personnel and actually based playcalling reflecting the actual game situtation. and even if they decide to stick with the power run, they got to enact more play action which never really seems to happen on the long passes.

With that thought, on to TY. I love the guy (heck, I named my team this year after him - see below). He was my keeper at a $1 this year. However, even though I would be able to keep him for the low price of $5 next year, I will be moving on.

Why? Well first the fact that I have Keenen for a $1 this upcoming year is a reason. But beyond that, it's because I believe we saw his ceiling (re: IND v. HOU) and we can see how he can be a demonstrateive player, and yet the Colts still don't seem to understand how to use him.

I'm a firm believer that consistency of your players week to week wins you a fantasy championship. If he had his final year stats evenly spread over 16 games, I would take him in a heart beat for his going draft price (I expect $12-$18 IN 2014, and considering the KC game, could be as high as $20). But scoring TDs in only 2 regular season games this year, not the type I need on my team. unless he goes for the $12 I mention earlier, it be tough to think this guy is worth the weekly sit v. start dilemma...
  • 96mnc likes this

12 Team Auction Keeper League - 0.5 per Reception (2013 WINNER):
QB: Peyton Manning;
RBs: Matt Forte, Eddie Lacy
WRs: Demaryius Thomas (K), Keenan Allen, T.Y. Hilton (K)
TE: Vernon Davis; Flex: Kendall Wright
K: Blair Walsh; Def: St. Louis Rams
Bench: Jordan Reed, Riley Cooper, Steven Jackson
Michael Crabtree, DeAngelo Williams, Jordan Todman

12 Team Auction Keeper League - 0.5 per Reception (2014):
QB: Aaron Rodgers;
RBs: Eddie Lacy (K), DeMarco Murray
WRs: Demaryius Thomas (K), Desean Jackson, Mike Wallace
TE: Martellus Bennett; Flex: Rashad Jennings
K: Mason Crosby; Def: Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers

Bench: Donte Moncrief, Alfred Blue, Keenan Allen (K),

Allen Hurns, Cody Latimer, Malcolm Floyd, Joseph Randle

#6 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

Yeah I admit to being sort of boring but 100% agree with consistency winning more games then trading wins and loses with the booms/busts.

#7 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,351 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

I'm down on Hilton and all other Colts players with that putrid coaching staff in Indy. Hamilton is incompetent and so is Pagano. Retaining Hamilton on his staff is evidence enough of Pagano's unworthiness as a coach imo.

There are only so many yards and scores to go around there. With Wayne back and Hamilton's commitment to run Richardson/Brown on 1st 2nd and 3rd downs for 2 yards a crack I don't like Luck, Hilton or anyone else. It all could have been different if Hamilton had taken the Vandy job but I see no reason why they'll change - they made the playoffs after all. Never mind it had more to do with them playing in the worst division this side of the NFC East. If they employ the same "strategy" next year (and I see no reason why they won't) they'll go 6-10 and then maybe something gets done.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#8 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

I'm down on Hilton and all other Colts players with that putrid coaching staff in Indy. Hamilton is incompetent and so is Pagano. Retaining Hamilton on his staff is evidence enough of Pagano's unworthiness as a coach imo.

There are only so many yards and scores to go around there. With Wayne back and Hamilton's commitment to run Richardson/Brown on 1st 2nd and 3rd downs for 2 yards a crack I don't like Luck, Hilton or anyone else. It all could have been different if Hamilton had taken the Vandy job but I see no reason why they'll change - they made the playoffs after all. Never mind it had more to do with them playing in the worst division this side of the NFC East. If they employ the same "strategy" next year (and I see no reason why they won't) they'll go 6-10 and then maybe something gets done.

Pep FINALLY showed SOME type of signs of actually adjusting his philosophy/scheme according to the most talented players you have. He finally figured out that this offense needs to run through Luck, but still had some hard headedness. I actually like Brazill more headed into next year.

I agree that it might be smartest to avoid IND WR's altogether, but I don't think you should be down on Luck himself. He has premiere pocket passer stats, that get padded by weekly rushing stats. His rush TD proneness is what catapulted him to top5 status last year, and I'm praying he gets to the 4th-5th round next year.

#9 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,351 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

Pep FINALLY showed SOME type of signs of actually adjusting his philosophy/scheme according to the most talented players you have. He finally figured out that this offense needs to run through Luck, but still had some hard headedness. I actually like Brazill more headed into next year.

I agree that it might be smartest to avoid IND WR's altogether, but I don't think you should be down on Luck himself. He has premiere pocket passer stats, that get padded by weekly rushing stats. His rush TD proneness is what catapulted him to top5 status last year, and I'm praying he gets to the 4th-5th round next year.

Well it took halftime deficits (31-10, 21-12) before he adjusted - a pattern they showed all year. To win as many games as they did trailing as often as they did at halftime was a fluke - although a tribute to Luck.

And you're right Luck is probably worth shot as a QB1 I just don't like the idea of his playing in that offense and having to watch it every week.
  • Dr.Funktopus likes this
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#10 joshua18

joshua18

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

The NFC East was far better than the AFC South....and that's saying something.

If they feature any RB than T-Rich next year, they may have a legit ground game. Depends on that, and whether they're willing to spend to upgrade their interior O-line.

#11 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

Well if everyone is down on TY Hilton, I will probably own him in most leagues. Absolutely agree, he has been highly inconsistent. But if you look at his numbers over his very brief two year career, they are highly impressive and are tracking in a very nice direction. If the Colts don't go out and sign a big time WR and all they have is Wayne coming back, I am all over TY Hilton. I know many WRs are more consistent but there aren't many WRs this young that are consistent at this point in their career. Luck's continued development, Indy realizing TY has to have the ball in his hands more in combination with Hilton's expected progression.....I think he adds to his numbers and adds some consistency.
  • cbe_88 likes this

#12 Dr.Funktopus

Dr.Funktopus

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

Well if everyone is down on TY Hilton, I will probably own him in most leagues. Absolutely agree, he has been highly inconsistent. But if you look at his numbers over his very brief two year career, they are highly impressive and are tracking in a very nice direction. If the Colts don't go out and sign a big time WR and all they have is Wayne coming back, I am all over TY Hilton. I know many WRs are more consistent but there aren't many WRs this young that are consistent at this point in their career. Luck's continued development, Indy realizing TY has to have the ball in his hands more in combination with Hilton's expected progression.....I think he adds to his numbers and adds some consistency.

Let me rephrase Rob_P, I am down on TY for the price I expect him to go for in next year's draft. I expect the not-so-savvy FF players to draft him based upon his big playoff game like many did with kaepernick this year. Relative to that expectation, I think most will overpay. But the opposite could happen as well, like you suggest: "If everyone is down on Hilton, I will probably own him in most leagues" - i.e., if he goes for lower than the expected price I mention above, absolutely he will be on my team.

I do auction, so my $$ figures from the above post applies here... in snake draft format, the first round I would consider him would probably be 6th

#13 Dr.Funktopus

Dr.Funktopus

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

... and more likely, i would really only draft him in the 6th if it were 100% clear he was by far the best player available.

#14 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

Hilton is awesome but you are literally getting top 10 WR or useless waiver fodder production each week... Really no inbetween with him.

#15 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:13 AM

Am I missing something? Have there been that many 2nd year WRs who have put up over a 1000 yards and are consistent from game to game? I know there are a few over the years but not many. I think it's way to early to label this guy as inconsistent when he has only played 2 years in the league. His first 2 years compare very nicely to most young WRs. The consistency will likely come as Luck and TY continue to develop.

#16 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:23 AM

Am I missing something? Have there been that many 2nd year WRs who have put up over a 1000 yards and are consistent from game to game? I know there are a few over the years but not many. I think it's way to early to label this guy as inconsistent when he has only played 2 years in the league. His first 2 years compare very nicely to most young WRs. The consistency will likely come as Luck and TY continue to develop.

For sure, the only real concern I have with him staying inconsistent is if he is an exclusive deep threat...in that role inconsistency is almost baked right in, and Pep didn't exactly let the pass attempts come as freely as they should have.

As a player? Love him. And his qb? Awesome. But because of what's stated above I can't view him more than a flex play with upside.

#17 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:49 AM

I see your points but I suspect his talents will dictate the Colts finding ways to get him the ball more consistently. It's not like they are loaded with playmakers.

#18 Doctor L

Doctor L

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

He's 5'9 according to ESPN. I've said it before on here a couple times, but the majority of the best WRs share 1 thing in common and that's size. Welker is one of the rare exceptions in the league. Bigger receivers have the ability to win those jump balls and beat corners with their leaping ability and size. Hilton at his size doesn't have that luxury so he will be mostly a quick slant guy or a deep threat guy or however the coaches plan to use him in the upcoming years. That doesn't mean he won't be productive, but he might have a hard time producing touchdowns like some of the bigger receivers in the league like Calvin, Andre, Fitzgerald, Julio, Dez, Green, Demaryius, Jordy, Marshall, Jeffrey, Gordon, Decker, and so on.

#19 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:03 AM

Totally agree his size is a possible obstacle. But I feel talent usually finds a way to rise and he seems to be clearly their best WR. I have to think they use him in the slot and in a variety of ways like a Randall Cobb type. I also feel Luck will likely be a top 2 or 3 QB very soon and I assume he continues to build the chemistry with Hilton .....the potential is very high.

#20 Dr.Funktopus

Dr.Funktopus

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

He's 5'9 according to ESPN. I've said it before on here a couple times, but the majority of the best WRs share 1 thing in common and that's size. Welker is one of the rare exceptions in the league. Bigger receivers have the ability to win those jump balls and beat corners with their leaping ability and size. Hilton at his size doesn't have that luxury so he will be mostly a quick slant guy or a deep threat guy or however the coaches plan to use him in the upcoming years. That doesn't mean he won't be productive, but he might have a hard time producing touchdowns like some of the bigger receivers in the league like Calvin, Andre, Fitzgerald, Julio, Dez, Green, Demaryius, Jordy, Marshall, Jeffrey, Gordon, Decker, and so on.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, as I think your logic is sound. As a Streaker, his value will always be a little inconsistent. My only two points to refute this are:

- He has shown the ability to snag smaller to more intermediate routes. I remembering specfically his big game against Houston where two of his three TDs came from inside the RZ, one being a great crossing/drag route where he got behind a receiver on the other side of the field who blocked for him and enabled a 8-12 yard TD.

- A certain receiver by the name of Steve Smith was pretty darn good and fairly consistent for a good while (not so much now though, but certainly in the past), and this was even during the Daylight-come-and-me-wanna-Delhomme years. i am not saying this is absolutely the trajectory for TY, but its not as if being a small burner down the field has never paid off in fantasy terms.

Main point here is: The talent is there, and if Bruce Arians were still the OC for this team, I would be chomping at the bit to get him next year. Vick Ballard Said it best, Pep's offensive philosophy is "to run the ball on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down." It is preposterous and will probably get Pep fired after next year, but it worked fine enough to put them at the top of the worst division in the NFL, so go figure...

So Rob_P, I think the idea you had on how "his talents will dictate the Colts finding ways to get him the ball more consistently" will be a goal of their's, but I do not really trust Pep to be creative enough to this enough "consistently" to warrant the expected cost of where TY will be drafted. Again, if he falls because others have this same suspicion, I am totally on board. But I think given how WRs were this year, this will not be the case in august...