22 replies to this topic

#1 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:19 AM

In week 17 of the 2013 season the Detroit Lions signed Carlin Isles to a futures contract. He played with the USA's 7s rugby team in the IRB Sevens World Series in Las Vegas, scoring three times and leading the USA to a championship within the consolation bracket. Carlin is/was a hopeful to represent the United States in the 2016 Olympic games in 7s rugby. He announced today he would be setting rugby aside for the time being and focus on the NFL.

Carlin is reported to try out for WR but stands a mere 5' 8" and weighs 160 pounds. Awfully small for an NFL player.

However, speed kills.

Carlin has record official times of:
10.13 - 100 meter
6.68 - 60 meter
He also ran an unofficial (hand timed) 40 meter of 4.22 in 2013.

It will be interesting if he can carve out a role with the Lions in the NFL. If not he'll lead our country in the 2016 Olympics.

#2 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:24 AM

#3 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:15 AM

Somewhere Al Davis is going  hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

dude is small then Tavon Austin and much rawer.

until I see something like 5 targets/touches in back to back games I am not touching. Maybe if he returns kicks and I do a league like that this year he can be a flyer.

#4 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:23 AM

View PostGains, on 27 January 2014 - 01:15 AM, said:

until I see something like 5 targets/touches in back to back games I am not touching. Maybe if he returns kicks and I do a league like that this year he can be a flyer.
He could see an immediate impact in the return game, but I agree it will be a little while before he can be trusted as an offensive player. He could be a solid slot receiver if he can manage to put on some weight and keep his insane speed.

#5 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:34 AM

View Postmunde53, on 27 January 2014 - 01:23 AM, said:

He could see an immediate impact in the return game, but I agree it will be a little while before he can be trusted as an offensive player. He could be a solid slot receiver if he can manage to put on some weight and keep his insane speed.

route running..........actually catching a football.

He is no one until at least 2 solid games of a real football career.

#6 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:29 AM

Clearly a novelty.

#7 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:28 AM

View PostSenatorSpaceman, on 27 January 2014 - 06:29 AM, said:

Clearly a novelty.

That's being generous.
The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

#8 owenmills

owenmills

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

The dude carried my fantasy rugby team. Pure stud

#9 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

View PostGains, on 27 January 2014 - 02:34 AM, said:

View Postmunde53, on 27 January 2014 - 01:23 AM, said:

route running..........actually catching a football.

He is no one until at least 2 solid games of a real football career.
He played football in both high school and college (Division II). So it's not as if this is his first time touching a football. In college I believe he was a kick returner and running back. He set school records for kick return yardage and longest return (100 yards).

He has similar size, speed, and sprinting background to Trindon Holliday. So he could turn into a very good return man.

#10 fredth3cat

fredth3cat

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

The Trindon Holliday comparison is a good one. I don't think this guy will be relevant to those of us who don't play in return-yardage leagues.

#11 ToO_BaD

ToO_BaD

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,261 posts
  • Interests:SF GIANTS, Niners, Warriors

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

Yeah I agree that he could make an impact as a returner.  His speed will carry him most of the way on that.  Just not sure they really have an immediate need for him otherwise.  Could make that D/ST a fun unit to pick up.
"Any Given Pick Napa" 12-team Non-ppr Keeper League - Custom Scoring *2009, 2012, 2013 Champion*
2014 Keepers (Julio Jones, Josh Gordon, FJax)

#12 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:20 AM

View Postfredth3cat, on 27 January 2014 - 11:15 AM, said:

The Trindon Holliday comparison is a good one. I don't think this guy will be relevant to those of us who don't play in return-yardage leagues.
Exactly. I didn't start this thread with the intention of people drafting him, with the exception of return-yardage leagues.

Admittedly I'm a huge rugby fan, and currently play. I've watched this guy play and his speed is absolutely insane. I'm very sad to see him leave USA Rugby.

In the future he could carve out an offensive role, but it's not likely.

#13 Ddam2013

Ddam2013

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

I know nothing about rugby so can someone please tell me why people are trying to tackle the guy until he touches the ball on the ground in what appears to be the endzone?
Winning gold is simple, you just have to be the best in the world at it.

#14 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

View PostDdam2013, on 27 January 2014 - 06:02 PM, said:

I know nothing about rugby so can someone please tell me why people are trying to tackle the guy until he touches the ball on the ground in what appears to be the endzone?
You have to apply downward pressure on the ball in the try zone (end zone in football) before it's counted as a score. Where ever you touch the ball down (yes this is where football gets the term "touchdown") is where the kicker has to attempt the conversion (2 points in rugby). So if you touch the ball down below the goal posts your kicker will have a much easier kick.

If he were to get tackled in the try zone and the ball was prevented from touching the ground by his downward pressure, there would be no score. Hence why the opponents are trying to tackle him or knock the ball out.

#15 CL3VELANDBR0WNS

CL3VELANDBR0WNS

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

He could make a living as a utility player... I mean there are worse ones out there.
The Browns used MarQuise Gray as a utility player and it worked out okay most of the time.
I am more than willing to help with any dynasty/keeper league questions, PM me if you have any.

#16 instant290

instant290

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

Can he even run in pads and a helmet though? You'd be surprised how much slower that can make a guy who hasn't been running in full gear his whole life.

#17 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

View Postinstant290, on 28 January 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

Can he even run in pads and a helmet though? You'd be surprised how much slower that can make a guy who hasn't been running in full gear his whole life.
As I've already stated he has played football in both high school and college (DII), and recorded a 100 yard kickoff return for a touchdown.

#18 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

cordarelle Patterson is still the best. as far as big play maker. Justin gatlin had a tryout with the Texans.

#19 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

View Postballfan4141, on 28 January 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

cordarelle Patterson is still the best. as far as big play maker. Justin gatlin had a tryout with the Texans.
What does Patterson have to do with this thread? And who said Isles was better than Patterson?

A lot of sprinters have had tryouts with the NFL, the difference is Isles has actually played football and currently plays a full contact sport similar to football.

#20 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:45 PM

Well Isles has made his final decision to give up on football (at least for now) and focus on rugby, with aspirations of leading the USA in the 2016 Olympics in Rio.

It was fun while it lasted (for me at least), but I wish him all the best and hope he brings home the gold in 2016.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users