Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Demaryius Thomas 2014 Season OutlookThe #1 overall WR?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 joshua18

joshua18

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:26 PM

#2 WR last year, and as Silva notes: "back-to-back seasons of 90-plus catches, over 1,400 yards, and double-digit touchdowns".  Plus, he's unquestionably Peyton Manning's #1 WR.  1st round pick in 12-team leagues?  Please discuss.

#2 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

Hard to say at this point will factors like Decker and Peyton's neck in the air.

Looking good though.

I remember I traded Mike Williams and Rob Housler for him preseason last year................that worked out pretty well.

#3 joshua18

joshua18

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

View PostGains, on 27 January 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

Hard to say at this point will factors like Decker and Peyton's neck in the air.

Looking good though.

I remember I traded Mike Williams and Rob Housler for him preseason last year................that worked out pretty well.

Yeah, I accidentally drafted him in the 3rd round this year (wanted to get Graham, then Fitzgerald in 4th rd; ended up with D. Thomas and Gonzo) -- worked out pretty well :).  

Harder to be any "safer" in fantasy than P. Manning's #1 WR over the past 15 years.

#4 instant290

instant290

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

View Postjoshua18, on 27 January 2014 - 09:31 PM, said:

Looking good though.

Yeah, I accidentally drafted him in the 3rd round this year (wanted to get Graham, then Fitzgerald in 4th rd; ended up with D. Thomas and Gonzo) -- worked out pretty well :).  

Harder to be any "safer" in fantasy than P. Manning's #1 WR over the past 15 years.

Pretty sure that is still Marvin Harrison...

#5 joshua18

joshua18

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

View Postinstant290, on 27 January 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

View Postjoshua18, on 27 January 2014 - 09:31 PM, said:

Looking good though.

Pretty sure that is still Marvin Harrison...

Yeah, M. Harrison, R. Wayne...the point is that year-in and year-out, whoever is P. Manning's #1 WR is as close to a top-5 WR lock as there has been over the past 15 years.

#6 joshua18

joshua18

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

As much as I love Le'Veon Bell, I'm getting torn about whether I'd take D. Thomas over him in late 1st/early 2nd rd.

#7 instant290

instant290

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

View Postjoshua18, on 27 January 2014 - 09:41 PM, said:

As much as I love Le'Veon Bell, I'm getting torn about whether I'd take D. Thomas over him in late 1st/early 2nd rd.

It's January...

Never seen this forum so active in the months right after week 16. Fantasy football really isn't a year round sport, too much changes between now and draft time to make any sort of draft board.

#8 Ryan81

Ryan81

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

Looking good though.

I hope you used protection. Because you screwed that guy.
"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

#9 joshua18

joshua18

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

View Postinstant290, on 27 January 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

It's January...

Never seen this forum so active in the months right after week 16. Fantasy football really isn't a year round sport, too much changes between now and draft time to make any sort of draft board.

Mockery, mockery, mockery...

#10 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

Basically every expert will have Calvin ranked as their #1 WR (and some will have JGordan & AJ over him too) but I think Demaryius is the safest WR to take and he actually has some upside too as the team lost Decker and I don't expect Sanders to match that production.  He's #1 on my board as of now.

#11 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:The Ohio State University, fantasy football junkie, baseball

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

I'm in the same conundrum. I'm probably going Thomas as I'm going running back in the first and I've learned there's always more than one running back that pops out as a WW hero if my running back I pick in the third or fourth doesn't pan out, but I'll be aiming for safe guys that late.

#12 Ohwise1

Ohwise1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

I like him right behind Calvin. #6 overall player. Actually think losing decker will help with more targets and red zone looks

#13 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

View PostOhwise1, on 17 March 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

I like him right behind Calvin. #6 overall player. Actually think losing decker will help with more targets and red zone looks
I agree and I'm glad they changed a big target for smaller Sanders. Both Thomases will have major red zone appeal.

#14 Bluecore

Bluecore

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

I like him as third overall behind Calvin Johnson and Josh Gordon. This assumes that there is SOME sort of upgrade for the Browns at QB, which is almost certain because at worst they'll end up with Brian Hoyer who was pretty ok last year until he got injured. Addressing why I think Josh Gordon would be a better pick up over D.Thomas: more talented than Demaryius in my opinion, an upgrade at RB on the Browns, opening up opportunities for Gordon, and an inevitable upgrade at QB, coming off a year where he was the highest scoring fantasy WR. Josh Gordon will be competing with, at BEST, 2 other targets in Jordan Cameron and <whoever else>. Demaryius has Sanders, Ball, Welker and Julius Thomas all as legitimate pass threats. Also, the Browns will never ever be in a position where they are blowing someone out and running the ball 3 times and punting. You may experience that multiple times in Denver, especially with the defensive moves they made.

Those are my reasons, and rejecting them is completely legitimate and I can see why you would.
12-team Yahoo standard, non-ppr, 0.6 points per 10 kick return yards. 3WR+1Flex start, 5 bench spots. QBs get 4 points per pass TD

Week 14 quarterfinal victory AND league high score!
Week 15 victory by a 0.31 point margin! CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!!
CHAMPIONSHIP IS MINE!!!

Week 16 Championship roster:
QB: Nick Foles
WR: Demaryius Thomas, Josh Gordon, Eric Decker
RB: LeSean McCoy, Rashad Jennings
TE: Delanie Walker
Flex: Kendall Wright
Kicker: S. Hauschka
Def: KC

#15 Ohwise1

Ohwise1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

View PostBluecore, on 17 March 2014 - 01:50 PM, said:

I like him as third overall behind Calvin Johnson and Josh Gordon. This assumes that there is SOME sort of upgrade for the Browns at QB, which is almost certain because at worst they'll end up with Brian Hoyer who was pretty ok last year until he got injured. Addressing why I think Josh Gordon would be a better pick up over D.Thomas: more talented than Demaryius in my opinion, an upgrade at RB on the Browns, opening up opportunities for Gordon, and an inevitable upgrade at QB, coming off a year where he was the highest scoring fantasy WR. Josh Gordon will be competing with, at BEST, 2 other targets in Jordan Cameron and <whoever else>. Demaryius has Sanders, Ball, Welker and Julius Thomas all as legitimate pass threats. Also, the Browns will never ever be in a position where they are blowing someone out and running the ball 3 times and punting. You may experience that multiple times in Denver, especially with the defensive moves they made.

Those are my reasons, and rejecting them is completely legitimate and I can see why you would.

Ill take manning and his ridiculous numbers over whoever the browns get. I like Gordon but expect a regression in his numbers. He won't be surprising anyone. I agree with a previous post that said Thomas is the safest WR. A physical freak like Gordon except one has the greatest regular season QB of all time looking his way early and often

#16 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

View PostOhwise1, on 17 March 2014 - 04:42 PM, said:

Ill take manning and his ridiculous numbers over whoever the browns get. I like Gordon but expect a regression in his numbers. He won't be surprising anyone. I agree with a previous post that said Thomas is the safest WR. A physical freak like Gordon except one has the greatest regular season QB of all time looking his way early and often
Agreed. Gordon had an inhuman stretch of games at the end of the year last year and I don't see him taking the world by shock like he did this past season. I'd take Manning and Co. over Hoyer and Gordon any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Not to mention the suspension threat looming over his head.

#17 Bluecore

Bluecore

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

View Postbuckeyestilidie, on 17 March 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

Agreed. Gordon had an inhuman stretch of games at the end of the year last year and I don't see him taking the world by shock like he did this past season. I'd take Manning and Co. over Hoyer and Gordon any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Not to mention the suspension threat looming over his head.

Not fair, and I hate it when people do that. If you take away everyones inhuman plays, which is suggesting they're flukey, then a LOT of people in the NFL and sports in general who are good are s---y on paper. I watched Josh Gordon catch an 8 yard pass at a dead stop with his back turned to the corner, turn around and make one move and burn the guy for another 85 yards last season. It isn't fair to take that away from people. He is a monster if he stays out of trouble off the field.
12-team Yahoo standard, non-ppr, 0.6 points per 10 kick return yards. 3WR+1Flex start, 5 bench spots. QBs get 4 points per pass TD

CHAMPIONSHIP IS MINE!!!

#18 Bluecore

Bluecore

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

View PostBluecore, on 17 March 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

Not fair, and I hate it when people do that. If you take away everyones "inhuman" or monster plays, which is suggesting they're flukey, then a LOT of people in the NFL and sports in general who are good are s---y on paper. I watched Josh Gordon catch an 8 yard pass at a dead stop with his back turned to the corner, turn around and make one move and burn the guy for another 85 yards last season. It isn't fair to take that away from people. He is a monster if he stays out of trouble off the field.

CHAMPIONSHIP IS MINE!!!

#19 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

Not fair, and I hate it when people do that. If you take away everyones inhuman plays, which is suggesting they're flukey, then a LOT of people in the NFL and sports in general who are good are s---y on paper. I watched Josh Gordon catch an 8 yard pass at a dead stop with his back turned to the corner, turn around and make one move and burn the guy for another 85 yards last season. It isn't fair to take that away from people. He is a monster if he stays out of trouble off the field.
So your basis for why Gordon is better than Thomas is because he's inhumane? That's definitely not a solid argument point. He's also not inhumane. Megatron and AD are inhumane. Gordon like I said took the NFL by storm and this is coming from a Cleveland fan. Fantasy wise though, it doesn't get much better being a talented WR catching passes from Manning.

#20 Ohwise1

Ohwise1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

There's no doubt josh Gordon is a monster. He's in an elite class with Calvin dez and DT of guys that just should not be so big fast tough and strong handed. But when it comes down to comparing the two I think it almost dead even, apples to apples, beast to beast on who is better, and I think GMs and scouts would agree. I mean DT made tebow look useful!  So when two guys are of similar talent it comes down to who is in the best situation, and that would be Thomas to me. Two elite WR in two very difference scenarios

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users