1206 replies to this topic

#1 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

Guy is clearly electric. It seems like he figured it out the last month if the season and Minnesota figured out what they had. If I had to pick a guy that busts into the too 10 WR range, he would definitely be a major breakout guy. I get that the QB situation could be a mess but he is clearly a guy they need to get the ball too. Trying to acquire him in both my dynasty leagues but his price is high. Loving his upside for next year and beyond. Top 15 WR seem possibly to anyone else ?

#2 munde53

munde53

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

I don't think it was so much Minnesota realizing what they had, more of Patterson understanding the playbook.

Top 15 next year is reasonable. I wouldn't be surprised if he finished there.

Top 5 potential going forward (not necessarily next season).

#3 joshua18

joshua18

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

I don't think it was so much Minnesota realizing what they had, more of Patterson understanding the playbook.

Pretty sure it was Minnesota finally realizing what they had...not having your 2nd-most dangerous offensive weapon on the field for 80% of the time is an indictment of how badly Musgrave erred during the first 3/4 of the season.

#4 munde53

munde53

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

Pretty sure it was Minnesota finally realizing what they had...not having your 2nd-most dangerous offensive weapon on the field for 80% of the time is an indictment of how badly Musgrave erred during the first 3/4 of the season.

While Musgrave is a terrible OC, Patterson was and still is very raw as a receiver. Simpson isn't exactly a world beater, but he isn't terrible either. Combine Patterson's rawness and Simpson playing ok, it makes sense why he wasn't getting more time at the beginning of the season. It's rare for a rookie WR to come into the NFL and start, let alone flourish.

#5 joshua18

joshua18

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

While Musgrave is a terrible OC, Patterson was and still is very raw as a receiver. Simpson isn't exactly a world beater, but he isn't terrible either. Combine Patterson's rawness and Simpson playing ok, it makes sense why he wasn't getting more time at the beginning of the season. It's rare for a rookie WR to come into the NFL and start, let alone flourish.

Starting is different than barely getting on the field. A good coach maximizes the talent on the roster -- rather then trying to make the roster fit into his scheme. No excuse for Patterson to barely have sniffed the field for 3/4 of the season.

#6 youngrice

youngrice

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

Patterson was the most athletic WR drafted last year. But lets not forget he was also one of the worst route runners and rawest wr drafted. He probably had trouble with his routes and learning the playbook early in the year. The NFL is alot different then college and sometimes it takes a player a couple of years to finnally get it. So while its easy to say now after his end of the year production that minn was dumb to not play him. He might have just not been ready.
  • munde53 likes this

#7 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

But the real question: whose under center next year? Patterson's at the mercy of Minnesota getting an arm that can utilize his talents before he provides nice and more consistent value for owners. They need a new arm, Ponder literally gets thru his first look in a progression, and if it's not there he panics into a two yard scramble...and Cassel seems much more locked on to Jennings

Who do you think they nab in the draft? If it's someone I like and he wins the starting job, that's when I'll legitimately be pondering Cordarrelle

#8 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

I wonder if Bortles or Carr would be a possibility when it gets to their pick. A traditional QB that can actually force defenses to not stack 8 in the box against AP.

Edited by cbe_88, 30 January 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#9 munde53

munde53

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

But the real question: whose under center next year? Patterson's at the mercy of Minnesota getting an arm that can utilize his talents before he provides nice and more consistent value for owners. They need a new arm, Ponder literally gets thru his first look in a progression, and if it's not there he panics into a two yard scramble...and Cassel seems much more locked on to Jennings

Who do you think they nab in the draft? If it's someone I like and he wins the starting job, that's when I'll legitimately be pondering Cordarrelle

I don't think he necessarily needs outstanding QB play to be a threat next year in fantasy.
Over his last 5 games with the Vikings he had:
219 yards receiving and 156 yards rushing. Scoring 6 total touchdowns, 3 on the ground, 3 through the air. Meaning he is much more of an overall offensive weapon than simply an athletic WR. Over those 5 games he averaged 14.7 points per game in standard scoring.

I'm assuming there will be a greater emphasis on getting Patterson the ball next season with Norv calling the plays. Whether it be on the ground or through the air, Patterson is always one play away from a touchdown. Essentially what I'm trying to say is it doesn't matter who the QB is, Patterson will still get his.

Though obviously a better QB will result in more opportunities for Patterson to display his ability.

Edited by munde53, 30 January 2014 - 02:45 PM.

#10 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,366 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

I wonder if Bortles or Carr would be a possibility when it gets to their pick. A traditional QB that can actually force defenses to not stack 8 in the box against AP.

Vikings would have a top 10 offense with a league average QB. Greg Jennings and Cordarelle Patterson, Kyle Rudolph, and obviously AP. They have a nice set of weapons and Norval will know how to use them.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#11 Corey In Da House

Corey In Da House

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Vikings progress next Season. They definitely have a strong team, just need to beef up that defense with some picks after QB.

10 Team Work League Auction (5-6) 5th Place.

QB: Peyton, Hoyer
RB: McCoy, Ellington, J. Randle, Dan Herron
WR: Dez, Ben Jammin', Watkins, J. Matthews
TE: Kelce, Lewis
DEF: Broncos, Colts,Ravens
K: Gostkowski

#12 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,487 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

Definitely targeting as potentially a WR2 next year. So pissed I didn't get him in my dynasty league - dude is incredible. He "should" be a good one for a long time.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#13 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,840 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

Patterson, Rudolph, and obviously AP could all finish top 10 at their respective positions in Norv's offense.

Absolutely love Patterson this year, definitely on my "must have" (aka reach) list.

#14 munde53

munde53

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

Patterson, Rudolph, and obviously AP could all finish top 10 at their respective positions in Norv's offense.

Absolutely love Patterson this year, definitely on my "must have" (aka reach) list.

How early are you thinking about "reaching" for him?

#15 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:20 PM

I don't think he necessarily needs outstanding QB play to be a threat next year in fantasy.
Over his last 5 games with the Vikings he had:
219 yards receiving and 156 yards rushing. Scoring 6 total touchdowns, 3 on the ground, 3 through the air. Meaning he is much more of an overall offensive weapon than simply an athletic WR. Over those 5 games he averaged 14.7 points per game in standard scoring.

I'm assuming there will be a greater emphasis on getting Patterson the ball next season with Norv calling the plays. Whether it be on the ground or through the air, Patterson is always one play away from a touchdown. Essentially what I'm trying to say is it doesn't matter who the QB is, Patterson will still get his.

Though obviously a better QB will result in more opportunities for Patterson to display his ability.

As long as he has inferior QB play he won't be able to be truly unleashed, and will maintain a very real risk of being inconsistent and busting the ceiling if wr3 value. And with a new regime, you have to hope they use him the same way he was being used last December. If Norv can keep him on those rush attempts that's his only shot at better consistency and a true WR2...because if his rush attempts are cut and Norv wants him more thru the air, the lack of a dependable arm will be even more exposed than it already will be.

Like I said, until they draft a QB I like he's a wr3 for me. And even if they draft a QB in the 1st your betting whoever that rookie QB is will shoot out the gate with success his rookie year. It's possible Norv will want Patterson to get a little more vertical.

The dudes talent is undeniable, and if he takes another big step next year he could be one of those very rare cases of a dependable fantasy WR with crap QB play, ala Harvin when he was in Minnesota. I hope he gets solid qb play, however, cuz even some of the best can be severely held back with terrible qb situations.

#16 PackersFan1979

PackersFan1979

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:09 AM

The amount of hype building around this guys is going to see him going earlier than I would be willing to draft him. Im just not sure if he is worth a 5th or 6th round pick which is where I think he is going to go. I dont dispute the upside, but the players I would have to pass over for him in that range make it quite the gamble IMO.

#17 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

I agree the hype will get someone to draft him earlier then most of us would be comfortable. I see his real value as in keeper/dynasty leagues because be sure has the look of a top 5 WR in the future with any QB at all.

Edited by Rob_P, 31 January 2014 - 12:58 PM.

#18 scienergy

scienergy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

He'll be a WR3 for me in dynasty, behind Gordon & Cobb. He runs a lot like Gordon with long strides and quick lateral movements. My biggest issue with him is small hands by WR1 standards and lack of college production but yet he still physicially profiles as a WR1.

I took a swing at him with my first pick last year and held tight all season knowing Musgrave was the least imaginative OC in the league so he wasn't going to get much play. My wishes came true when Norv was hired. I think Norv will utilize Patterson much like he did Gordon so I'm pretty excited to have this guy as a potential flex player. Will be interesting to see what unfolds with the QB situation. Carr would be a solid pick, IMO.

#19 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:48 AM

He'll be a WR3 for me in dynasty, behind Gordon & Cobb. He runs a lot like Gordon with long strides and quick lateral movements. My biggest issue with him is small hands by WR1 standards and lack of college production but yet he still physicially profiles as a WR1.

I took a swing at him with my first pick last year and held tight all season knowing Musgrave was the least imaginative OC in the league so he wasn't going to get much play. My wishes came true when Norv was hired. I think Norv will utilize Patterson much like he did Gordon so I'm pretty excited to have this guy as a potential flex player. Will be interesting to see what unfolds with the QB situation. Carr would be a solid pick, IMO.

I'd enjoy a traditional QB like Carr in that backfield. Let AP do the running. Minnesota needs an aerial attack to return to being a contender...

#20 joshua18

joshua18

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

I'd enjoy a traditional QB like Carr in that backfield. Let AP do the running. Minnesota needs an aerial attack to return to being a contender...

Minn needs a mobile QB or a QB that can be accurate when blitzed. Doesn't sound like Carr is either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users