228 replies to this topic

#1 Gryfter

Gryfter

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:39 AM

I guess even with Romo's so-so 2013, his ADP should shoot up given the new OC...

any takers for Romo in the 3rd-4th round...?
(2) 14 team 0.5 PPR:

QB: Michael Vick
RB: Lorenzo Taliaferro, Jeremy Hill
WR: Dez Bryant, Keenan Allen, Odell Beckham Jr.
TE: Travis Kelce
FLEX: Darren McFadden
K: Steven Hauschka
DST: Minnesota
Bench: Matt Ryan, Roddy White, Eddie Lacy, Joique Bell, Travaris Cadet, Detroit DST

QB: Ben Roethlisberger
RB: Ben Tate, Jonas Gray
WR: Antonio Brown, Steve Smith
TE: Dwayne Allen
FLEX: Larry Donnell
K: Cody Parkey
DST: Kansas City
Bench: Matt Ryan, Randall Cobb, Matt Forte, Joique Bell, Buffalo DST
RES: Josh Gordon

#2 PackersFan1979

PackersFan1979

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:53 AM

not that high, maybe around 8th or 9th. QB is deep.

#3 youngrice

youngrice

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:15 AM

Agree 8th to 9th round sounds right. Lets not forget Stafford was the second worst QB in the league behind Eli in turnovers under Linehan and Romo has had his own ball security issues throughout his career.

#4 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

Agree 8th to 9th round sounds right. Lets not forget Stafford was the second worst QB in the league behind Eli in turnovers under Linehan and Romo has had his own ball security issues throughout his career.

Romo only threw 10 INTs last year though.

This offense shouldn't change the outlook too much. Callahan and Garrett are still in the war room and Dallas was already an extremely pass happy team last year.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#5 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

Romo gets passed off with no takers till the middle rounds every single year, and all he does is prove over and over that he's a solid, safe top10 QB that is more than capable of heading your roster. He doesn't really have the top5 upside that it seems everyone is looking for, and he's known for throwing a ton of INT's, but really it's the fact that his few INTs are at pivotal moments and are played over and over...and over again overblown by the media so people can't shake the stigma off and draft him as their QB. However, I like security with my QB's more than upside. I want to know I can play you for 16 games and not worry about you, and Romo provides that at the very least.

If he does slide all the way to the 8th-9th round like y'all say I'd be stoked. Might be more like the 6th-7th. Luck, Romo, and Ryan are my QB targets for next year, because I know I'm going to wait for my QB1.
  • Ryan81 likes this

#6 munde53

munde53

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

Romo gets passed off with no takers till the middle rounds every single year, and all he does is prove over and over that he's a solid, safe top10 QB that is more than capable of heading your roster. He doesn't really have the top5 upside that it seems everyone is looking for, and he's known for throwing a ton of INT's, but really it's the fact that his few INTs are at pivotal moments and are played over and over...and over again overblown by the media so people can't shake the stigma off and draft him as their QB. However, I like security with my QB's more than upside. I want to know I can play you for 16 games and not worry about you, and Romo provides that at the very least.

If he does slide all the way to the 8th-9th round like y'all say I'd be stoked. Might be more like the 6th-7th. Luck, Romo, and Ryan are my QB targets for next year, because I know I'm going to wait for my QB1.

I agree Romo falls into later rounds as one of the last QBs off the board due to the perception of his late game INTs.

However having owned him last year, I would hardly say he was consistent so I disagree on the security aspect of Romo. He's not a QB who will win you weeks in FF (with the exception of week 5 of this year), but he is one who will potentially lose you weeks. For 33% of his games this season he scored 15 or less points (in a 6pt TD league). Unless your team is completely stacked winning on a consistent basis when your QB, who should be your highest scoring position, scores so few points isn't going to happen.

#7 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

any takers for Romo in the 3rd-4th round...?

I love Romo at the value ADP which he perennially goes at, but 3rd-4th round? Absolutely not.

#8 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

I agree Romo falls into later rounds as one of the last QBs off the board due to the perception of his late game INTs.

However having owned him last year, I would hardly say he was consistent so I disagree on the security aspect of Romo. He's not a QB who will win you weeks in FF (with the exception of week 5 of this year), but he is one who will potentially lose you weeks. For 33% of his games this season he scored 15 or less points (in a 6pt TD league). Unless your team is completely stacked winning on a consistent basis when your QB, who should be your highest scoring position, scores so few points isn't going to happen.

His yards fell off a little bit last year, oh he'll have a couple meltdown games every year like he always does, with bad INT's and just not a good game, but who doesnt? I wasn't saying he'd be rock solid consistent every week, no QB is outside of what, Brees Peyton and Rodgers???

What I mean is for a guy who is a lock for a solid QB1 top10 play he goes too late, making Romo a value pick in my eyes. He almost always at least contrubutes, while also maintaining blow-up potential each an every week because his team over relies on him...it happens every year. That offense runs through him, and he usually ends up trying to put his superman cape on just to bring a bad team to 8-8...makes for brutal disappointment as a fan (trust me I would know), but as a fantasy owner, the pass attempts get racked up at ridiculous rates because he's the best part of their team outside of Dez, in which Dez helps Romo a ton in turn anyways.
  • Bringthesonicsback likes this

#9 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

Will Romo turn into Stafford?

That is an insult to Romo. Maybe if Stafford could win against teams .500 or better.
  • SuperJoint likes this

"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RotoWorld Mock Real League - 14 team, .5 PPR, 6 point passing TDs(4-4, 6th place)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Ahmad Bradshaw
RB2: Reggie Bush
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Mohammed Sanu
TE: Jason Witten
DST: Streaming
Bench: Jeremy Hill, Pierre Thomas, Antone Smith, Travaris Cadet, James Starks, Boobie Dixon

#10 Shake

Shake

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner. I basically said the same thing last year to everyone who was going on and and on about his 2012 season (almost 5000 yards passing/record number of pass attempts), and yet I got blasted for saying he wasn't a weekly consistent points producer. As a matter of fact I just found the quote as well.

Not to slow down the hype train that is "I'm gonna wait on QB this year and take Romo" which is apparently going full force here but I just feel like I needed to point this out, if it hadn't been already...I don't know I haven't read 6 pages worth of this topic.

Even with Romo's career year in Yards and attempts last season, and his remarkable consistency to produce around the same amount of fantasy points per year....he's remarkably inconsistent on a week to week basis.

7 games of 0 or 1 Total (Pass and Rush) TD last year. Also in 2 of those 7 games he threw 9 total INTs (4 in one game, 5 in another).

As great as his season was between weeks 12-16, most teams that had him as their starting QB probably weren't making the playoffs any ways, and if by some chance you did then kudos to you.

I like Romo actually, he's does represent some solid value in the draft but let's not be completely blinded by the end of the year stats when you have almost half a season's worth of mediocre or terrible performances. This is a weekly game isn't it?

Romo is what he always is, consistent at being top 10 by years end, but he's not consistent on a weekly basis of having solid performances. Unless you enjoy 15-20 points (6 pt TD leagues) regularly with the chance of a huge game every few weeks. He is a solid value for where he's going and where he's likely to finish by the end of the year, but weekly he's not someone you're relying on as your top producer of points. So long as you don't have to depend on him weekly and have a solid team though, I'd think you'd be fine. With that said I would take him if I waited on QB and he landed in the 7th or 8th round (10 team) and be okay with that, any sooner than that I'd really be questioning what happened in my draft.

Edited by Shake, 01 February 2014 - 04:25 PM.

#11 munde53

munde53

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

That is an insult to Romo. Maybe if Stafford could win against teams .500 or better.

Romo can't beat teams with .500+ records either. Check out the Cowboys record against winning teams.

#12 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:44 AM

Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner. I basically said the same thing last year to everyone who was going on and and on about his 2012 season (almost 5000 yards passing/record number of pass attempts), and yet I got blasted for saying he wasn't a weekly consistent points producer. As a matter of fact I just found the quote as well.

Not to slow down the hype train that is "I'm gonna wait on QB this year and take Romo" which is apparently going full force here but I just feel like I needed to point this out, if it hadn't been already...I don't know I haven't read 6 pages worth of this topic.

Even with Romo's career year in Yards and attempts last season, and his remarkable consistency to produce around the same amount of fantasy points per year....he's remarkably inconsistent on a week to week basis.

7 games of 0 or 1 Total (Pass and Rush) TD last year. Also in 2 of those 7 games he threw 9 total INTs (4 in one game, 5 in another).

As great as his season was between weeks 12-16, most teams that had him as their starting QB probably weren't making the playoffs any ways, and if by some chance you did then kudos to you.

I like Romo actually, he's does represent some solid value in the draft but let's not be completely blinded by the end of the year stats when you have almost half a season's worth of mediocre or terrible performances. This is a weekly game isn't it?

Romo is what he always is, consistent at being top 10 by years end, but he's not consistent on a weekly basis of having solid performances. Unless you enjoy 15-20 points (6 pt TD leagues) regularly with the chance of a huge game every few weeks. He is a solid value for where he's going and where he's likely to finish by the end of the year, but weekly he's not someone you're relying on as your top producer of points. So long as you don't have to depend on him weekly and have a solid team though, I'd think you'd be fine. With that said I would take him if I waited on QB and he landed in the 7th or 8th round (10 team) and be okay with that, any sooner than that I'd really be questioning what happened in my draft.

I thought I'd be disagreeing with you because i thought you were fully siding with munde, but I agree. He can fall off a few times throughout the year, but generally, he's an extrememly affordable, safe and solid QB1 that is a value pick for how late he's going. I can stack my roster with studs and draft romo in the 7th, just as you say. I'll do it every single year...

#13 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:12 AM

That's what I was going to say. Stafford is a poor man's Romo at this stage of the game.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#14 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:20 AM

Meh, romo was pretty disappointing this year in opinion. another back surgery (even if it is minor) is not a good thing.

If the boys are smart (i realize that is easily argueable that they are not so brilliant) they would run murrary more to cover for there D and not be so "pass happy". The Pass happy offense didn't even seem to work for fantasy that much.

I think ryan will be a better performer for a similar price.

#15 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:34 AM

Romo can't beat teams with .500+ records either. Check out the Cowboys record against winning teams.

I think Stafford's issues this year had more to do with him being a putz than Scott Linehan.

Put it this way....I'd be more concened about Romo's health with his back than Linehan.
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

Twitter: @MrJaredMoore

#16 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

I think Stafford's issues this year had more to do with him being a putz than Scott Linehan.

Put it this way....I'd be more concened about Romo's health with his back than Linehan.

lol, had to quote this...Stafford really was a putz...can't blame it on Linehan. Stafford had so many awesome performances that were ousted by multiple bonehead INT's with that dinky side arm of his. Staffords INT's come so much frequently than Romo's but I feel like no one really realizes it. Romo had only 10 INT's last year, albeit most of them being crucial, but that doesn't matter in fantasy. Stafford checks in at an ugly 19...nearly twice as much.

Romo has thrown over 10 INT's only once in the last 5 years of his career. Poor guy just throws them at terrible times.

#17 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

Linehan was brought in to enhance the DAL passing game, which will include a lot of passing in the red zone. It's a no-brainer that this is good fantasy-wise for Romo and WR (especially Dez). No need to over think things. No one is going reach for Romo in the 3rd or 4th round though. Great QB to target if you want wait on QB, as the position is as deep as ever.

#18 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

him or ryan at the end of the qb1s. not sure who I like more.

#19 Gryfter

Gryfter

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:37 AM

well, if its a toss-up, I think I'll lean towards Romo... Ryan plays against Car and the Saints 2X each and the Bucs have Revis... the NFC East isnt exactly known for their defenses in recent years...
(2) 14 team 0.5 PPR:

QB: Michael Vick
RB: Lorenzo Taliaferro, Jeremy Hill
WR: Dez Bryant, Keenan Allen, Odell Beckham Jr.
TE: Travis Kelce
FLEX: Darren McFadden
K: Steven Hauschka
DST: Minnesota
Bench: Matt Ryan, Roddy White, Eddie Lacy, Joique Bell, Travaris Cadet, Detroit DST

QB: Ben Roethlisberger
RB: Ben Tate, Jonas Gray
WR: Antonio Brown, Steve Smith
TE: Dwayne Allen
FLEX: Larry Donnell
K: Cody Parkey
DST: Kansas City
Bench: Matt Ryan, Randall Cobb, Matt Forte, Joique Bell, Buffalo DST
RES: Josh Gordon

#20 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:48 AM

true but wasn't ryan like 7th of something like that this year (in a very down year)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users