#1 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

Relevant to: 5 OF leagues with a bench, NL Only

The Rockies LF situation is fun for the layman scout. Nobody knows what's happening. Beat writers,the Rockies, your gf. Nobody. But Dickerson is the pony I'm betting on.
Stubbs = schmohawk
Barnes = schmohawk
Blackmon = MLB BB/K resembles the Super Bowl score

And when you get beyond the box score and do the visual scouting on him, Dickerson looks the part. Big kid, nice swing, has a clue. Bats from the good side. Throw in park effects, and I will own this guy in 150% of my leagues this year. If you throw him out for $1, I'll go $2. If I throw him out, I'll go to $3. NL-Only? You better come big $tack at the end of the auction, or else he's mine.

#2 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

Yup. Of that group. He strikes me as the best. He has illustrated decent power. Someone who can take full advantage of the Coors hitting paradise..

I'll be keeping an eye on him in Spring training to see how the Coors LF situation shifts out. He is worth a late round Flier...

One thing that could work against him in getting the job. He is not really that good of a defender. Weaker Arm. He was not thought much of by scouts because of a pull happy approach with bad defensive and base running skills.

But he has worked a lot on become a guy who can hit to all fields and no one has doubted his power. As a pure hitter. I expect good things. Which in Fantasy, is what we like.

Edited by Slatykamora, 03 February 2014 - 01:39 PM.

#3 mavsfan23

mavsfan23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:34 AM

I couldn't find his minors splits, but from last year it looks like a prime candidate for a platoon(the good side at least). Anyone know where to find players' minor splits?

Even if he's only getting the RH side of a platoon, that's not bad if you can snag him for a few bucks in an NL-only.
Baseball can't get here fast enough

#4 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:57 AM

^
http://minorleaguece...2816&split=3000

• mavsfan23 likes this

#5 mavsfan23

mavsfan23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

I stand corrected. The NL-only sleepers are looking very nice this year.
Baseball can't get here fast enough

#6 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

OK, so in the Rutledge thread a poster suggested the Owner and Rockies staff had a chat yesterday. Here is their tweet about the projected lineup posted on Purple Row:

Blackmon/Dickerson
Cuddyer
CarGo
Tulo
Morneau
Rosario
Arenado (bummer)
2B platoon
pitcher

#7 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

What happened to CarGo leading off?
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#8 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

Probably needs an even bigger ST, as the Rockies have cooled on the idea of CarGo playing CF in the attempt to keep him healthy. Still like him over Blackmon or Stubbs in fantasy, as I'll have nothing to do with those 2.

#9 JFS171

JFS171

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

I wouldn't consider it a complete death sentence. CarGo just said he wanted to stay in one spot, not be shifted from LF to CF and back based on who Weiss wanted to play that day (Dickerson, Blackmon, Barnes, or Stubbs). Dickerson has played CF though - Rockies started him for 12 games out there, and he logged a total of 116 innings there.

He may not be the best CF on the roster, but I think whomever hits best will start the year off with a full time gig with CarGo playing the other spot. If Dickerson hits (which I think he can) then perhaps CarGo goes to CF and Dickerson plays LF. Either way, I'd pick Dickerson right now, gun to my head. Brandon Barnes is the dark horse here in my book.

#10 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

"...there was a growing feeling that most likely CarGo would wind up staying in LF".

http://colorado.rock...8&vkey=news_col

#11 JFS171

JFS171

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

I believe you… this was said too though.

"You don't want to be bouncing around," Gonzalez said. "That's something I did early in my career and it was affecting me physically and mentally. So I'm ready to play in one position and whatever position is good, either center or left."

http://espn.go.com/m...ve-center-field

#12 Milk Me

Milk Me

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Interests:balls of all kinds. footballs; soccer balls; footie balls. etc

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:43 PM

Not that it means a ton, but on either ESPN or the MLB network earlier today I saw the Rockies' projected lineup, and I believe it had Dickerson slotted in left and the projected lead-off man.

This is by no means to say that he is the guy, but I found it interesting nonetheless. I've been anxious to see someone emerge as a possible lead-off hitter for this team and there really is no front-runner to me... Stubbs would seem to make sense in an odd way, moving to Coors (and I believe having some solid gap power doesn't hurt- unless I'm mistaking)... I know his home runs might jump with regular playing time the but K rate won't move much, so at the same time even if Stubbs got a chance to try, I don't see how it would work despite his skill-set having both power & speed. He just strikes out at such a rate and has regressed... badly too. I think he's more of a 4th or 5th OF, nice pop off the bench.

I also agree that Barnes could be a(or the?) dark-horse here..... if he can find his way into the lineup he has a decent set of skills that Coors could potentially juice up a bit. I would be rooting for him personally if I were to take a flier on any of those 3, but I did see Dickerson was slated to hit #1 on one of the networks talking to/about the Rockies at their camp. How much salt this is to be taken for I have no idea, but I felt it was worth noting (not like I heard it from my cousin's hair-cutter's girlfriend or something :P )
recap w/ 2 wks remaining...
ROSTER:
C Derek Norris+, 1B Matt Adams, 2B Anthony Rendon, 3B Casey McGehee, SS Alexei Ramirez, CI Brock Holt, MI Arismendy Alcantara, OF(x5) Giancarlo Stanton, Ben Revere, J.D. Martinez, Christian Yellich, Jorge Soler(opening day N/A stash), UTL(x2) Juan Lagares, Khris Davis
BN OF Lorenzo Cain, OF Carl Crawford
SP(x3) Chris Sale, Zach Greink, Phil Hughes, RP(x3) Joe Nathan, Hector Rondon, Edward Mujica, P(SP/RP-x3) Neftali Feliz, Tony Sipp, Chad Qualls, BN Scott Kazmir SP, Carlos Carrasco SP/RP, Jake Arrieta SP
THE DEPOSED:
Kyle Seager (FA add who gave me 31R, 11HR, 54 RBI & 5 SB before dealt), Scooter Gennett (Fa add) dealt for Joe Nathan, 1-for-1 and I've re-added Scooter since his owner had dropped him at points, Corey Dickerson (impatient drop by me-ugh), Goldschmidt(original pick, hit & out for year); Wil Myers(original pick I dropped and didn't want to DL/wait on w/ how he'd been playing), Nolan Arrenado(original pick; dealt for Ben Revere about 3wks ago 1-for-1), Yasiel Puig (dealt 1-for-1 for Greinke about 1-2/4ths into the season), Tulo (went down, original draftee), Kolten Wong (untimely drop), Koji (dealt for 1-for-1 for Heyward, an original pick- dropped recently for Tony Sipp), Brandon Moss (dealt for Yellich and Cody Allen), Mike Cuddyer (on my team as an original pick and re-pickup, but dropped again), Yan Gomes (original 1$ draft pick and C, dropped 2/4th thru for Vogt/Norris combo), Vogt (dropped recently for Carl Crawford I think), Josh Harrison(dealt in a deal for Brock Holt), Sean Doolittle (1IP- 18.00/2.00 WHIP from it, prior to him getting the CL- I f'd up there... outright drop for god knows who), Shelby Miller & Gerrit Cole (14 wins total; both original picks, Miller cut and Cole dealt for Alexei SS 1-for-1), Garrett Richards (11 W- FA add, and cut once injured), Jake McGee, Ronald Belisario, Jenry Mejia- 20SV (McGee dealt in deal for Khris Davis and Matt Adams; Belisario cut; Mejia dealt w/ 1 total SV for Rendon early in year :)
go team go I need the money, GIVE ME THE MONEY STUART LITTLE DILLHOLE. I NEED SOME WHITE LADY, K.

#13 David Light

David Light

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:15 AM

Not that it means a ton, but on either ESPN or the MLB network earlier today I saw the Rockies' projected lineup, and I believe it had Dickerson slotted in left and the projected lead-off man.

This is by no means to say that he is the guy, but I found it interesting nonetheless. I've been anxious to see someone emerge as a possible lead-off hitter for this team and there really is no front-runner to me... Stubbs would seem to make sense in an odd way, moving to Coors (and I believe having some solid gap power doesn't hurt- unless I'm mistaking)... I know his home runs might jump with regular playing time the but K rate won't move much, so at the same time even if Stubbs got a chance to try, I don't see how it would work despite his skill-set having both power & speed. He just strikes out at such a rate and has regressed... badly too. I think he's more of a 4th or 5th OF, nice pop off the bench.

I also agree that Barnes could be a(or the?) dark-horse here..... if he can find his way into the lineup he has a decent set of skills that Coors could potentially juice up a bit. I would be rooting for him personally if I were to take a flier on any of those 3, but I did see Dickerson was slated to hit #1 on one of the networks talking to/about the Rockies at their camp. How much salt this is to be taken for I have no idea, but I felt it was worth noting (not like I heard it from my cousin's hair-cutter's girlfriend or something :P )

Barnes' numbers were pretty atrocious last year. 21 BB's 120 K's, 11sb 11CS, weird. He had one good year at triple a, but im not buying.

#14 Milk Me

Milk Me

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Interests:balls of all kinds. footballs; soccer balls; footie balls. etc

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:48 AM

I'm more impressed with his alleged defensive ability and how it could help him play in Coors, and we all have seen what Coors can do to even scrubby players sometimes.... he had flashes last year I seem to remember- even if he was extremely streaky in so it seemed like.... I know I never wanted to pick him up (Barnes) because one good game usually meant an 0-15 would follow.

I think in a better lineup there's a shot he could be a 10-15 and 20 guy but I don't have a clue what I would expect in the AVG or OBP departments if he plays a full (or close to, say maybe ~500AB?- which is what the 10-15HR and 20SB "projection" is based around) season.

I don't know, but in general, I would think whoever does lead-off could hold some value (at least as long as they held the spot for).
recap w/ 2 wks remaining...
ROSTER:
C Derek Norris+, 1B Matt Adams, 2B Anthony Rendon, 3B Casey McGehee, SS Alexei Ramirez, CI Brock Holt, MI Arismendy Alcantara, OF(x5) Giancarlo Stanton, Ben Revere, J.D. Martinez, Christian Yellich, Jorge Soler(opening day N/A stash), UTL(x2) Juan Lagares, Khris Davis
BN OF Lorenzo Cain, OF Carl Crawford
SP(x3) Chris Sale, Zach Greink, Phil Hughes, RP(x3) Joe Nathan, Hector Rondon, Edward Mujica, P(SP/RP-x3) Neftali Feliz, Tony Sipp, Chad Qualls, BN Scott Kazmir SP, Carlos Carrasco SP/RP, Jake Arrieta SP
THE DEPOSED:
Kyle Seager (FA add who gave me 31R, 11HR, 54 RBI & 5 SB before dealt), Scooter Gennett (Fa add) dealt for Joe Nathan, 1-for-1 and I've re-added Scooter since his owner had dropped him at points, Corey Dickerson (impatient drop by me-ugh), Goldschmidt(original pick, hit & out for year); Wil Myers(original pick I dropped and didn't want to DL/wait on w/ how he'd been playing), Nolan Arrenado(original pick; dealt for Ben Revere about 3wks ago 1-for-1), Yasiel Puig (dealt 1-for-1 for Greinke about 1-2/4ths into the season), Tulo (went down, original draftee), Kolten Wong (untimely drop), Koji (dealt for 1-for-1 for Heyward, an original pick- dropped recently for Tony Sipp), Brandon Moss (dealt for Yellich and Cody Allen), Mike Cuddyer (on my team as an original pick and re-pickup, but dropped again), Yan Gomes (original 1$ draft pick and C, dropped 2/4th thru for Vogt/Norris combo), Vogt (dropped recently for Carl Crawford I think), Josh Harrison(dealt in a deal for Brock Holt), Sean Doolittle (1IP- 18.00/2.00 WHIP from it, prior to him getting the CL- I f'd up there... outright drop for god knows who), Shelby Miller & Gerrit Cole (14 wins total; both original picks, Miller cut and Cole dealt for Alexei SS 1-for-1), Garrett Richards (11 W- FA add, and cut once injured), Jake McGee, Ronald Belisario, Jenry Mejia- 20SV (McGee dealt in deal for Khris Davis and Matt Adams; Belisario cut; Mejia dealt w/ 1 total SV for Rendon early in year :)
go team go I need the money, GIVE ME THE MONEY STUART LITTLE DILLHOLE. I NEED SOME WHITE LADY, K.

#15 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

CD has hit the ball well early, but curiously has only played a few innings in CF (Monday's game). Barnes/Stubbs/Blackmon have got all the reps there. I'm still holding out hope and would love to see WW give him a CF start or two in the next couple of games.

** A hidden reason for my Dickerson love is I feel the Rockies have a terrible staff that will lead to 2nd half tryouts at some positions. I want the LH mini bopper in this case. If you're in a league where the Dickersons of the world will be dropped/pu'd, this obviously doesn't apply.

#16 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,859 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

CD has hit the ball well early, but curiously has only played a few innings in CF (Monday's game). Barnes/Stubbs/Blackmon have got all the reps there. I'm still holding out hope and would love to see WW give him a CF start or two in the next couple of games.

** A hidden reason for my Dickerson love is I feel the Rockies have a terrible staff that will lead to 2nd half tryouts at some positions. I want the LH mini bopper in this case. If you're in a league where the Dickersons of the world will be dropped/pu'd, this obviously doesn't apply.

Stubbs has been pretty bad this spring and K'd a few times yesterday again leading off. I don't know why this is even a competition.
No Days Off

#17 JFS171

JFS171

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

Barnes got 400+ ABs in Houston last year and wasn't exactly great(.240/.289/.346) with 11 SB and 11 CS. Seems like we know what Stubbs is at this point... even in his best year in Cincy, he put up a .329 OBP (in 2010 no less).

Dickerson keeps hitting (7/14 so far this spring with a .786 SLG) -- unless the defensive upgrade with Barnes/Stubbs/Blackmon in CF and Cargo in left is incredibly substantial, you have to think they'll lean toward Dickerson, even if that means he plays LF. Cargo previously stated he was fine playing either CF or LF, just didn't want to jump around.

Who knows... Dickerson's doing his part.
  • lavaman likes this

#18 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

Stubbs has been pretty bad this spring and K'd a few times yesterday again leading off. I don't know why this is even a competition.

Dickerson is the least optimal for CF/Lead-Off of all the guys? They would prefer Cargo in Left(even if cargo himself doesn't care)? Dunno...

He is clearly the best hitter of this competing group. Did anyone see his Vlad Impression from that Fangraphs Article?

http://www.fangraphs...off-the-ground/

It got me looking a little deeper. While it showed a great ability to do something good with a crap pitch...On the other hand...

Did not realize he had a 42% O-swing last year. But still had above average Pitches per Plate appearances. When I opened up his Brooks Baseball page. Said he had a exceptionally poor eye against Breaking and off-speed. But Exceptionally good eye at Fastballs. But an exceptionally Low likely hood to swing and miss at any of it...

(These were based off small sample sizes. Grain of salt,..ect, etc)

Basically the guys pure hitting Talents are for real, and shows patience(with his Pitch/Plate appearance). Hopefully because he is so young. He will improve on his Strike Zone recognition

Funny thing was, Fangraphs graded him has above average against Sliders, and Change ups. So, its not he is being overwhelmed. Even though he is clearly chasing these pitches outside the zone..

Edited by Slatykamora, 06 March 2014 - 05:06 PM.

• David Light, FearTheBeard and like this

#19 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

Only a few innings so far...this is the most important info in here. Not going to win the CF job if he isn't even playing CF in spring training. Very disappointing news I will be paying close attention to where he plays leading up to my draft.

#20 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

Damn so it looks like Stubbs will get 1st crack at CF?
I back the realest and original Polanco :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users