400 replies to this topic

#1 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

Looks like Mariners and Tigers could be destinations for him. For those of us who draft early, he could be had very cheap before he signs somewhere. I'm intrigued and I think he can put up good numbers off PED's as I believe he wasn't on them last year (but honestly, who knows). Worth a flier. Discuss.
FFB 12 Team Standard 4 Keeper lose the draft pick the keeper was taken in
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#2 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

lazy player who knew it was payday so did good.

#3 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

Regardless of his productivity when he's on the field, he's never all that healthy. He reminds me a lot of Michael Morse, whom the M's were in love with last year until they saw how fragile he was. My guess is that they'll sign Cruz and realize things too late yet again. Oh, and their park is still crappy for right-handed power hitters, so expect a park related decline on top of any other decline he's about to experience (age, PED's, etc.)

I'm not much of a fan at all, and I'll gladly let the next guy take him, even if Cruz is "super cheap.' Too much risk for my blood.
"We used to roast Stay Puft marshmallows by the fire at Camp Wocanda."

#4 Schwager

Schwager

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

I think anything past 14 team leagues he is a solid sleeper play. Maybe sleeper isn't the word but regardless where he ends up he can do well with his 400abs should hope he doesn't isn't out to to injury during playoff time though. In a roto with solid amount of DL I think this man is money.
20 Team 8 Keepers (Saves and Holds)

C- Devin Mesoracco
1b- Adam LaRoche
2b- Josh Harrison
3b- Adrian Beltre
SS- Dee Gordon
OF- Giancarlo Stanton
OF- Alex Rios
OF- Yoenis Cespedes
UTIL-Tori Hunter
UTIL- Chase Headley
UTIL- Grady Sizemore

SP- J Scherzer, Colon, THudson, ESantana, Niese, Hughes, De La Rosa, Alvarez, Meyer
RP- Papelbon, Freri, HLDS

#5 StuPitt

StuPitt

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

View Postsasnumberonefan, on 05 February 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

Looks like Mariners and Tigers could be destinations for him. For those of us who draft early, he could be had very cheap before he signs somewhere. I'm intrigued and I think he can put up good numbers off PED's as I believe he wasn't on them last year (but honestly, who knows). Worth a flier. Discuss.

Where have you heard Cruz might be going to the Tigers?  While it makes sense, there has been no indication that the Tigers are even a tiny bit interested.
10 Team Redraft League (one UTIL spot)
C   Buster Posey
1B Víctor Martínez, Matt Adams
2B Robinson Canó
3B Kyle Seager
SS Hanley Ramírez
OF Matt Holliday, Matt Kemp, Josh Hamilton, Ben Revere, Corey Dickerson
SP Justin Verlander, Jered Weaver, Hyun-jin Ryu, Jake Arrieta, Alex Wood, Hisashi Iwakuma
RP Rafael Soriano, Santiago Casilla, Sean Doolittle, Cody Allen

#6 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

View PostStuPitt, on 06 February 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

View Postsasnumberonefan, on 05 February 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

Where have you heard Cruz might be going to the Tigers?  While it makes sense, there has been no indication that the Tigers are even a tiny bit interested.

Sorry, I was just going off of speculation from the 2013 Nellie Cruz thread.
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#7 WahooManiac

WahooManiac

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Interests:Beating everyone

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

To the O's he goes, 1 yr 8m. I feel like thats a steal for Bal
Good pitching will beat good hitting anytime, and vice versa.  -Bob Veale

We're reaching the pt where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life.  Take your pick.  -Thomas Boswell

#8 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

A big steal at that price and years...don't know how other teams didn't offer more for one year.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#9 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

I wish it was a multi year deal, or at least an option for another 1 or 2 years. Other than that, I like the signing. The O's are having a strong end to the offseason. Cruz should be good this year likely hitting 5th in a very good O's lineup.
Bring back Ray!

#10 d_wag

d_wag

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

He should fire his agent, and kick himself in the butt - maybe next year more players will just take their qualifying offers and try again the following year.

Your play boras (ie drew and morales) - something tells me your ego won't allow you to admit you screwed up again and you'll continue to harm your clients if they're lucky enough to get offers like this at this stage

#11 Nygiantspm5

Nygiantspm5

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:44 AM

As a mets fan it's great to know that we signed Chris young for $7.5 and Cruz went for $8...

Great signing for Baltimore, improves their lineup tremendously

#12 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

View PostNygiantspm5, on 22 February 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

As a mets fan it's great to know that we signed Chris young for $7.5 and Cruz went for $8...

Except Cruz sucks and has been a worse player in the last three years than Young (3.9 fWAR compared to 7.5 fWAR). Young is an infinitely better defender (and can also play center field) and also knows how to take a walk. The Mets made the right choice. Cruz is a s---y player overall, and it's possible the O's still overpaid for him even at only $8 million for one year (because they also lose a 2nd round draft choice, which has solid value as well).

#13 Oriole Way

Oriole Way

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:28 PM

View PostBodhizefa, on 22 February 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

Except Cruz sucks and has been a worse player in the last three years than Young (3.9 fWAR compared to 7.5 fWAR). Young is an infinitely better defender (and can also play center field) and also knows how to take a walk. The Mets made the right choice. Cruz is a s---y player overall, and it's possible the O's still overpaid for him even at only $8 million for one year (because they also lose a 2nd round draft choice, which has solid value as well).

Yeah, but for a DH (which is where the Orioles will play him), Cruz is the better hitter.  And it's not about Young vs. Cruz.  Orioles needed to upgrade their DH.  They accomplished that.

I wanted Morales much more than Cruz.  But for $8 million, there's very little risk.  Orioles Park is a great ballpark for any power hitter, so there's lots of value in this signing.

#14 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

27 HRs in 409 ABs last year... I'll take a flier on him. Goes from one loaded lineup to another, should have plenty of RBI chances.

#15 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

There's an old saying, "There are no bad 1 year contracts".  It's a solid signing by the O's to see if Cruz can add RH power to the lineup.  Cruz should have some real success with the short power alley in left-center at Camden.  At 33-34, he should still be able to play and although he's a bit fragile, 25+ power is scarce and generally always paid in the bigs.  For the O's to get him at such a value is the right play.

The risks are that he's been lousy as a DH throughout his career and he'll be battling the debated "DH penalty" phenomenon.  He'll play some corner OF though.  His OWar the last 3 years averaged out to be about a 2.0, while his defense brought his bWAR down (1.3).  So if he can handle being a DH, then the O's will have a nice signing....

As far as Cruz, personally, his agent totally overplayed his hand and cost he and his family a bunch of dough.....unless Cruz was adamant about his price.  Nellie's sort of good natured guy, so I can't see that being the case.
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#16 motown magic

motown magic

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

I agree with everything said by the last three posters said. Excellent signing. It could have incentives to make it more money.

#17 colepenhagen

colepenhagen

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

wounder how the siging affects machado davis jones and wieter? only gunna help wounder how much
yahoo pro100 12 team h2h 5x5
The Dead Rabbits
c- Santana 1b- Abreu 2b- Carpenter 3b- Seager ss- Baez of- Cutch of- Gomez of- Stanton
util- B HAM util- Yelich   bench-  ss- Segera of- Bruce
sp1 Sale sp2- Greinki sp3- Cole sp4- Weaver sp5- Wheeler sp6-Gausman sp7 Hellickson sp8 STREAM

yahoo pro100 12 team h2h 5x5
   IR ii IP IP IL IE
c- Molina 1b- Abreu 2b- Rendon 3b- Seager ss- Han-Ram of- Stanton of- Bruce of- Kemp
util- Tulo util- Gordon bench   1b- Butler 2b hill of yelich
sp1-Latos sp2- Cole sp3- Wacha sp4- Teheran sp5-  -Ventura
rp1- Chapman  rp2- Cishek rp3- Rodney rp4- K-Rod

yahoo pro250 12 team h2h 5x5
  Mr. Pink
c- Montero 1b- Rizzo 2b- Howi 3b- Beltre ss Hanley of- B HAM of Gomez of- Yelich
uitl- Kh Davis util- V MART bench of Napolie 3b Machado ss- Segera  of Wil Myers
sp1 Cueto sp2- Lester sp3- Iwakuma sp4 -Ricahrds sp5 Cole sp6 Cashner sp7- Keuchel

#18 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

View PostOriole Way, on 22 February 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

Yeah, but for a DH (which is where the Orioles will play him), Cruz is the better hitter.  And it's not about Young vs. Cruz.  Orioles needed to upgrade their DH.  They accomplished that.

I wanted Morales much more than Cruz.  But for $8 million, there's very little risk.  Orioles Park is a great ballpark for any power hitter, so there's lots of value in this signing.

If power is the only way you judge value, then you'd fit right in among the likes of Ruben Amaro and Jack Zduriencik as GM's. And you'd be losing every year, too.

#19 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

see what he does without PEDs.

#20 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

View PostBodhizefa, on 22 February 2014 - 06:27 PM, said:

View PostOriole Way, on 22 February 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

If power is the only way you judge value, then you'd fit right in among the likes of Ruben Amaro and Jack Zduriencik as GM's. And you'd be losing every year, too.

I'm not sure you get it. The Orioles had a .704 OPS from DH last year. Cruz's Worst offensive season in the last 6 years was .779 OPS. Every other year has been above .800 in that span.

Sure, it comes with risks because of the PED thing, and his Health, and maybe not being as motivated as a DH (he is career .784 OPS Hitter as a DH)

But its only 8 Mil. Which on this Market, is nothing.

Bottom line. He improves the Orioles chances in 2014.  Also he is saying their is great value in his power because Camden Yards Caters to power hitter. Not because power is the only way one judges.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users