Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Marcus Lattimore 2014 Season OutlookAP-esque recovery = Beastmode 2.0?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 GPWMC

GPWMC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

http://bleacherrepor...francisco-49ers

Just read through this and the signs are pointing to Lattimore's return. Depending on how the offseason goes, I wouldn't be surprised if this guy came in and became the future RB star on the team. Maybe not initially...but if they're toting him out there in the preseason, I'm gonna reach. That's just too much potential on what is likely a top 3 running offense.

Risks:
- Injury (maybe even injury prone)
- Splitting carries with Hunter, LaMichael James
- Vultured TDs from the douche canoe, Kaepernick

Rewards:
- If he overcomes the injury, he could be the next Adrian Peterson on a MUCH better team

His risks will make him cheap. Even if he is named the "starter," the injury and committee risks will bring him down into rounds 7+. Excuse me if I'm just a wee bit titillated by that prospect.

#2 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:09 PM

Comparing a 3rd round draft pick who redshirted his rookie year to AP seems a little bit over the top...Maybe similar in college but we have to see him produce to make that NFL comparison. Also you completely ignored Frank Gore, he's still on the team. He will be the starter, and probably one of James/Hunter/Dixon will be cut to get Lattimore in the mix.

He's a guy you take a chance on as a flier late, ala Zac Stacy last year. But don't expect the same results. 49ers always use RBBC and there's no reason to expect Lattimore to dominate carries when there are already 4 talented RBs there that have proven themselves capable.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#3 jackmurphy

jackmurphy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:58 PM

Its all gonna depend on the offseason. If he starts getting glowing reviews and then in training camp he's taking 2nd team reps already, the writing is on the wall that they believe he will take the job from Gore in the very near future. Personally, I picked him up as a free agent and I can keep him as a 16th rounder. I'm pretty damn excited to see how it shakes out.
Sarge: Whats gonna happen is that you jerk off the ball, almost wanna let this guy here jam you, and if it comes it comes.

#4 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:09 AM

Please never compare Lattimore to Peterson. Even when healthy his production couldn't even hold a candle to Peterson in college.

He is talented no doubt, and I'll be rooting for the guy to comeback strong. But he isn't even close to Peterson in any shape or form. Peterson is probably the most physically gifted running back in the history of the NFL.

This is how ridiculous hype starts.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hunter took over for Gore, not Lattimore.

#5 GPWMC

GPWMC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:34 AM

http://bleacherrepor...adrian-peterson

#6 GPWMC

GPWMC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:38 AM

http://www.usatoday....-rehab/1930751/

Seems like people are comparing them all the time. I'm not saying he's the next adrian peterson, but he could be.

Edited by GPWMC, 08 February 2014 - 01:40 AM.

#7 GPWMC

GPWMC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:43 AM

And I'd settle for the next Gore to be honest.

#8 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:44 AM

there is not a single part of the OP I don't find ridiculous.

#9 wayzupusc

wayzupusc

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:26 AM

View Postmunde53, on 08 February 2014 - 01:09 AM, said:

Please never compare Lattimore to Peterson. Even when healthy his production couldn't even hold a candle to Peterson in college.
I'm obviously biased but I beg to differ.

Yards from scrimmage, college career --
AP:  772 total plays, 4239 total yards, 5.5 yards per play, 42 total TDs
Marcus:  629 total plays, 3444 total yards, 5.5 yards per play, 41 total TDs

...unless your league doesn't count receiving stats, I'd say they were pretty close in terms of production & Lattimore was playing in a defensive-dominant conference like the SEC while Peterson enjoyed a defense-optional Big12.  It's Marcus Lattimore's versatility that Peterson can't hold a candle to, all due respect...he's a far better receiving than Adrian which is huge in today's NFL and even moreso in fantasy football.

Please don't knee-jerk and take this as me saying i'd take Lattimore over Peterson or even claiming he's as good as AP...or anything close to that.  But to dismiss him & say someone like Kendall Hunter is going to beat him out is crazy.  Barring injury, I wouldn't be surprised to see a timeshare in SF next season along the lines of that we've seen out of Houston with Arian Foster & Ben Tate.  

The trick with Lattimore is where to draft him....I signed him up for a buck in my dynasty league because I have Gore so all it's really costing me is a roster spot.  For redrafts, I'm not sure I'd even draft him this year but I'd keep him flagged and pick him up immediately if Gore were to go down.
C:  Jason Castro
1B:  Steve Pearce
2B:  Enrique Hernandez
SS:  Erick Aybar
3B:  Matt Carpenter
RF:  Kole Calhoun
CF:  Carlos Gomez
LF:  Starling Marte
U:   Hunter Pence

Bench:  Gregory Polanco, Adrian Gonzalez, Evan Gattis (DL), Michael Choice, Jose Tabata

SP (5):  Adam Wainwright, Johnny Cueto, Jesse Hahn, Lance Lynn, Yovani Gallardo
RP (3):  Joe Kelly, Steve Cishek, Jake McGee
Bench:  Michael Wacha (DL), Jose Fernandez (DL), CJ Wilson (DL), Rubby De La Rosa, Jimmy Nelson

Minors:  J. Baez, A. Guerrero, C. Seagar, K. Parker, J. Taillon (DL), J. Biddle, H. Owens
Setup:  16 team, 28 player+8 minors, up to 5 year contracts, weekly lineup H2H

#10 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

Absolutely no value in a redraft league for this coming season, but a great stash in a dynasty.
The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

#11 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:10 AM

vultured TDs from the douche canoe

riveting.

#12 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

View PostGPWMC, on 08 February 2014 - 01:34 AM, said:

View PostGPWMC, on 08 February 2014 - 01:38 AM, said:

http://www.usatoday....-rehab/1930751/

Seems like people are comparing them all the time. I'm not saying he's the next adrian peterson, but he could be.
BleacherReport also compared Trent Richardson to Adrian Peterson. They actually said he was a safer pick than Peterson was.

They have zero credibility when it comes to this.

Everyone is always looking for the next "greatest of all time" caliber player. If you're comparing Peterson and Lattimore, you're essentially saying Lattimore could be the greatest running back in NFL history. It's getting ridiculous.

#13 jackmurphy

jackmurphy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

The simple truth is that we can't even discuss much until closer to the start of the season. In June, July, and August we should start hearing reports of how the niners plan to use him. We will also get to see him in games in the preseason which will show whether or not he is back to his old self. The only thing we know is he has great pedigree. It'll be interesting if he can overcome those awful injuries.
Sarge: Whats gonna happen is that you jerk off the ball, almost wanna let this guy here jam you, and if it comes it comes.

#14 GPWMC

GPWMC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

Bleacherreport may not always be correct, but Lattimore can be compared to Peterson in several respects as both the articles I referenced, one of which was not from bleacherreport, have done. Once could also compare Lynch and Gore to Peterson. It's the basis of comparable analysis and how you value assets.

I struggle to think of any analyst in any field that makes perfect predictions. By Munde53s logic - as soon as you've said something wrong, then you should never be taken seriously again.

Someone mentioned he was a third round draft pick, it was actually the 4th round, but he was drafted after suffering one of the most devestating knee injuries I've ever heard of.

He was the nations top running back, so was AP, he suffered a crazy injury, so did AP, he's showing drastic signs of improvement in a superhuman amount of time, so did AP. Stop the presses, I just made a comparison between Lattimore and AP. Sue me.

#15 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

As soon as Lattimore averages 1,400+ rushing yards, 5 YPC, and 12 rushing TDs per season in the NFL, I'll accept a comparison between him and Peterson.

Lattimore lacks the power and speed Peterson has.

Here is another comparison which is more in line, in my opinion:
Lattimore and McGahee
http://bleacherrepor...-willis-mcgahee

#16 jackmurphy

jackmurphy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

View Postmunde53, on 08 February 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

As soon as Lattimore averages 1,400+ rushing yards, 5 YPC, and 12 rushing TDs per season in the NFL, I'll accept a comparison between him and Peterson.

Lattimore lacks the power and speed Peterson has.

Here is another comparison which is more in line, in my opinion:
Lattimore and McGahee
http://bleacherrepor...-willis-mcgahee

Come on dude, he's comparing the potential not who the players are right now. Of course he's not AP. Isn't the point of these forums to try and predict how the future will play out?

Personally, I think he's got a different style than AP. But if he truly is back to his old form he could be a top 5 RB in the league with his skillset.

#17 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

I'd draft Hunter for 2014 before Lattimore. Gore could finally decline in a big way in 2014, and it's reasonable for owners to draft the SF RB that could capitalize. But Lattimore is a LONG ways away, still rehabbing and not having played a down in the NFL. whereas Hunter has nice resume where SF has seen him entrench himself as the no2 RB being consistently effective on limited chances (even redzone touches) that they would count on if Gore lost his juice or got hurt. And to see him shake off his serious Achilles injury in 2013 and maintain the explosiveness in his play was very good to see. It's clear he's the only other RB that SF trusts.

But even Hunter is a relative long shot, because Gore has proven pretty ageless, because SF has learned how to keep him healthy. He used to get hurt every year, but they learned how to dial back his workload just enough to where Hunter gets his 8-10 touches a game leaving tread on Gores tires for December and the playoffs.

#18 hotel06

hotel06

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

Sharing a backfield with Gore, Hunter, James, any new RB they might bring in?  No thanks.

#19 GPWMC

GPWMC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for the support jackmurphy, glad you get what I'm trying to bring into the discussion.

Gore probably will come back, despite his cap space demands. They'll be able to work something out, because I doubt he wants to go anywhere else. Especially with SF so close to a superbowl. He's not only ageless, but one of the faces of the franchise. His production last year was superb during the first part of the season, but in the later games it waned off. I believe I read that he went from a 4.6 YPC to a 3.7 or something close in his last 6 games.

Lattimore was drafted as the potential phenom replacement for Gore. He seems to be in the perfect situation to do so. He can learn the system under one of the best in the game, and has a great committee to ease him into his destiny.

#20 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

View Posthotel06, on 08 February 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

Sharing a backfield with Gore, Hunter, James, any new RB they might bring in?  No thanks.

Exactly. Barring an injury, no SF back other than Gore has value this coming season.
The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users