• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,020 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

Leadoff hitter for ARZ?
350 MiLB OBP?
1/2 BB/K ratio in MiLB?
30 SB in AA, 21 in AAA

Wow, forgot all about this guy. I'm on him like white on rice. Cheaper than a Starbucks cup of joe on a rainy Sunday morn.

#2 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,805 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

I guess the question for Pollock is how many PAs will he get?  He's not that productive in limited PAs like a Rajai Davis, so he'll need almost a full complement of PAs (575-600) to really matter in standard size leagues.  Maybe he starts running more but only 13 SBs in 575 PAs in the majors.  Could be a cheap source of runs if he gets a full-time job....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#3 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,020 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

Yeah, he's definitely not proven. Guess that's what makes him so cheap. Parra's elite RF defense and Ross' hip issues lead me to believe AJ gets his share in Cf. And I just looked at the back of DeAza's baseball card. He sort of struggled with SB attempts in his first 400 PAs.

Anyways, perfect $1 guy in my book. I went back to my 2012 mixed auction results and De Aza went for $2. Pollock obviously doesn't have the power, but I'm more interested in that 80R, 20 SB ceiling.

#4 mavsfan23

mavsfan23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:24 PM

Pretty good article here.

http://www.fangraphs...-parra-shuffle/

The author seems to think that AJ is headed for a platoon situation, but looking at his minor league splits he doesn't really look like a platoon type guy.
Baseball can't get here fast enough

#5 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,020 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

View PostPatrick Bateman, on 09 February 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

I guess the question for Pollock is how many PAs will he get?  He's not that productive in limited PAs like a Rajai Davis, so he'll need almost a full complement of PAs (575-600) to really matter in standard size leagues.  Maybe he starts running more but only 13 SBs in 575 PAs in the majors.  Could be a cheap source of runs if he gets a full-time job....

Just wanted to jump on some preseason thoughts. Eaton's SB attempts were limited due to Gibson's disdain for "giving up outs" (Source: ARZ mlb.com) Now Ventura is talking about manufacturing runs for CWS instead of playing for the 3 run HR. Since Pollack is basically still a rookie to Gibson, and he hasn't exactly earned the green light, I'm somewhat concerned about his actual SB attempts. He's so cheap, it's not an end game anyway.

Anyways, just a reminder how coaching philosophy can affect SBs. It's one narrative I actually pay attention to and read between the preseason lines.

#6 Floor Pie

Floor Pie

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

Wow is he on fire in the Cactus League!

I place little to no value on spring stats, but sometimes it does put people on my radar who would otherwise be in my blind spot.

Pollock showed some promise last year as a platoon player and strikes me as one of those guys who always gives everything he has and can be a real spark plug for the team.

He's moving into my end-of-draft-flier allstars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users