Jump to content

Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Mat Latos 2014 Outlook


  • Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 bbythepier

bbythepier

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

Lets hope he doesn't have Russell Westbrook's recovery, for fantasy purposes anyways. (Part of me hates him still from when he signed balls "I hate SF")

Meniscus surgery.

#2 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

This is one of those injuris that could present a nice bargain.It's the knee so I'm not worried long term. Looks like Opening Day in question, maybe he misses a week. Retroactively placed on DL would be my guess. I would take him at an (unwarranted) one or two round discount, stash him on the DL first week, then use him rest of the way not worrying about anything long term. I'd much prefer this discount over others like Verlander, Hamels, Iwakuma just because its the knee.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#3 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,682 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:39 AM

View PostSidearmer, on 14 February 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

This is one of those injuris that could present a nice bargain.It's the knee so I'm not worried long term. Looks like Opening Day in question, maybe he misses a week. Retroactively placed on DL would be my guess. I would take him at an (unwarranted) one or two round discount, stash him on the DL first week, then use him rest of the way not worrying about anything long term. I'd much prefer this discount over others like Verlander, Hamels, Iwakuma just because its the knee.

I agree - meniscus is not terribly frightening for a pitcher. However I'm not really crazy about the fact that this is his second surgery of the offseason. I can hear it now: "Latos acknowledged his poor 2014 was due to the lingering pain issues presented by two procedures prior to the start of the season. He feels 100% now though and ready for a terrific 2015 campaign!"
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#4 jb_power

jb_power

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,718 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:01 AM

which knee did he injure?  if it was his plant knee (left) than I will downgrade him.  that is not an easy injury to come back quickly from.

#5 mavsfan23

mavsfan23

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:02 AM

View Postjb_power, on 15 February 2014 - 02:01 AM, said:

which knee did he injure?  if it was his plant knee (left) than I will downgrade him.  that is not an easy injury to come back quickly from.

I don't think it matters which knee. Obviously the plant leg would be more of an issue, but it's still surgery on a knee. I've personally never met anyone with a knee injury that didn't deal with it daily for the rest of their lives.

Minor knee surgery is an oxymoron, imo. It's also odd that for the last few months of the offseason it wasn't a problem and now he needs surgery. I'm always leery of the out of nowhere minor injuries right before it's time to go to work. Either they're more concerned about their vacation and the pain should have been addressed earlier, or it's been bothering them for a while and they hid it.
Baseball can't get here fast enough

#6 d_wag

d_wag

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:05 AM

View Postmavsfan23, on 15 February 2014 - 03:02 AM, said:

View Postjb_power, on 15 February 2014 - 02:01 AM, said:

which knee did he injure?  if it was his plant knee (left) than I will downgrade him.  that is not an easy injury to come back quickly from.

I don't think it matters which knee. Obviously the plant leg would be more of an issue, but it's still surgery on a knee. I've personally never met anyone with a knee injury that didn't deal with it daily for the rest of their lives.

Minor knee surgery is an oxymoron, imo. It's also odd that for the last few months of the offseason it wasn't a problem and now he needs surgery. I'm always leery of the out of nowhere minor injuries right before it's time to go to work. Either they're more concerned about their vacation and the pain should have been addressed earlier, or it's been bothering them for a while and they hid it.

he injured it earlier this week when he slipped off the mound

this is value - minor injury, he'll be fine. might miss a start at most, which in the grand scheme of things is more then offset by the round or two discount you'll get on a top 20 SP

#7 mavsfan23

mavsfan23

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:05 AM

We'll see but I still don't like guys going under the knife for any reason this close to opening day, regardless of severity.
Baseball can't get here fast enough

#8 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

I'm not saying everyone should definitely take Latos - Its more that if you are a manager that likes to take those "minor injury" risks close to Opening Day, the knee is obviously much more minor than a finger (Iwakuma), arm (Hamels), or core (Verlander).
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#9 tucker26

tucker26

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

If this causes him to drop there could be value. If it doesn't then I'd probably pass for a safer option.

This is also is dependent on what DDallas has tweet about this.

Edited by tucker26, 15 February 2014 - 04:00 PM.

Hanging ropes are as good as step ladders to those who know how to use them.

#10 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,682 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

It's a positive sign he's walking w/o crutches.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#11 MeisterT

MeisterT

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:upstate NY

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

View Posttucker26, on 15 February 2014 - 03:52 PM, said:

If this causes him to drop there could be value. If it doesn't then I'd probably pass for a safer option.

This is also is dependent on what DDallas has tweet about this.

I tried to get a twitter update but apparently DDallas's 500 yard restraining order includes the internet <_<

If injury fears have him falling Latos could be a nice sort of "draft and stash" type, you know, a few weeks on the DL followed by burying him on the bench for another 2-3 starts. Meniscus isn't the worst but late surgeries aren't great either, plus I'm very conservative about sp injuries, and the thought of a gimpy donkey unable to get on top of his fastball or locate is scary (see Mat walk dudes, see Mat forget to cover 1B, see Mat get mad and groove 3 run bomb, see Mat turn into Dugout Doucheface, etc)
"It's the learning f------ nothing that keeps me young." - Al Swearengen

#12 avswsop91

avswsop91

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:52 PM

How worried are you guys? Love Mat but this has be worried. Should I not be?
12 Team Dynasty, Head-to-Head Category League (C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3 OF, Util, 7 P)
My Roster:
C – Willin Rosario
1B – Eric Hosmer
2B – Daniel Murphy
3B – Evan Longoria, Kyle Seager  

SS – JJ Hardy
OF – Giancarlo Stanton, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jay Bruce, Jason Heyward, Yoenis Cespedes, George Springer
SP – Stephen Strasburg, Homer Bailey, Zack Grienke, Jeff Samardzija, Sonny Gray, Zack Wheeler, Dan Straily, Jenrry Mejia, Robbie Erlin

RP - None

Prospects: Archie Bradley, Miguel Sano, Eddie Butler, Trevor Bauer
DL - Mat Latos, David Robertson

#13 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,017 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bronx
  • Interests:Mets - Knicks

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

im worried. the left knee is pretty important. best realistic scenario is he misses his first couple starts, comes back rusty, and finally gets it going like the latos we know by mid July.
12 Team H2H Categories. Play two teams per week. Three keepers.
Avg, OPS, HR, RBI, R, SB * W, K, ERA, WHIP, Sv

C/ Mesoraco
IB/ Pujols
3B/ Encarnacion
CI/ Belt
2B/ Wong
SS/ Everth
MI/ Hardy
4 OF/ Rios, Bautista, Cespedes, Leonys
Utl/ Sandoval
SP/ Felix, Sale, Teheran, Bailey, Lohse
Eovaldi, Peralta, M Perez
RP/ Ross, Richards
BN/ Lowrie, Fowler
DL/Latos

Championships: 3 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#14 d_wag

d_wag

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

View PostLyondellBasell, on 20 February 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

im worried. the left knee is pretty important. best realistic scenario is he misses his first couple starts, comes back rusty, and finally gets it going like the latos we know by mid July.

i strongly disagree

the best realistic scenario is he doesn't miss any starts and puts up a fast start like he did last year (april 2013 - 39 1/3 IP, 1.83 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 37K).

posts like this is why he's shaping up to be excellent value this year.

#15 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:40 AM

View PostLyondellBasell, on 20 February 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

im worried. the left knee is pretty important. best realistic scenario is he misses his first couple starts, comes back rusty, and finally gets it going like the latos we know by mid July.

That is probably the worst case scenario at this point...He's already throwing and all the news so far has been positive. Right now I'd think it's 50/50 he even misses one game at all. Highly doubt he will be more rusty than the average pitcher starting the year. Its not like he won't be throwing. Even if he misses starts he will throw bullpens and simulated games
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#16 Orion Braun

Orion Braun

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:05 PM

Looks like he is scheduled to pitch in his first game on Wednesday. How far has the knee surgery pushed him down people's draft boards? He still a top 20 pitcher?

Mat Latos (knee) is tentatively scheduled to pitch in a minor league game on Wednesday.

Latos first has to make it through a Tuesday throwing session. He underwent surgery in mid-February for a tear of the meniscus in his left knee but is aiming to start the Reds' sixth game of the regular season on April 6 against the Mets. Because of an April 1 off-day, that's the first time Cincinnati will need a fifth starter. Mar 17 - 7:27 PM

No one cares about my teams...

#17 peelpub94

peelpub94

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:LongIsland

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

He was about the 16th or 17th pitcher drafted in my league. I think that's about fair value for him.

Edited by The Harsh, 18 March 2014 - 12:21 PM.
Made post more general.


#18 Orion Braun

Orion Braun

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

In the middle of his first game right now, following surgery earlier this year. By all accounts on Twitter, he is looking very good, albeit against a Hi-A lineup...


@m_sheldon 11m
16 pitches/10 strikes for Latos in first. Touched 95 5 times. Grdout, infield single, strikeout, strikeout. Both Ks on breaking balls #reds



Hitting 95 on the gun already seems to be a good sign, no? His average FB velo was 92.5 last year...


EDIT: And right after I post this, I see:

@m_sheldon 3m

Trainer came to see Latos after something happened on a pitch. He continued and gave up a grd single to left field #reds


But it was followed by:

@m_sheldon 50s

2 innings for Latos. 31 pitches/19 strikes. 2nd inn: single, runner out after pitch in dirt, called K, single, strikeout #reds

Edited by Orion Braun, 19 March 2014 - 03:28 PM.

No one cares about my teams...

#19 klove42

klove42

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,772 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Jersey

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostOrion Braun, on 19 March 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

In the middle of his first game right now, following surgery earlier this year. By all accounts on Twitter, he is looking very good, albeit against a Hi-A lineup...


@m_sheldon 11m
16 pitches/10 strikes for Latos in first. Touched 95 5 times. Grdout, infield single, strikeout, strikeout. Both Ks on breaking balls #reds



Hitting 95 on the gun already seems to be a good sign, no? His average FB velo was 92.5 last year...


EDIT: And right after I post this, I see:

@m_sheldon 3m
Trainer came to see Latos after something happened on a pitch. He continued and gave up a grd single to left field #reds

But it was followed by:

@m_sheldon 50s
2 innings for Latos. 31 pitches/19 strikes. 2nd inn: single, runner out after pitch in dirt, called K, single, strikeout #reds

Hmmm. This does look good for a first start. I was a little worried about him and I'm relying him to be my staff ACE (I really waited on pitching). I just hope he can be healthy and consistent like last year.
No Days Off

#20 Orion Braun

Orion Braun

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

Just a bit of clarification on the mound visit by the trainer....

@FSOhio_KGoheen 3m

Latos said issue was ankle, not knee. Is fine. "I'm not on the DL." #Reds

No one cares about my teams...




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users