205 replies to this topic

#1 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

Lets hope he doesn't have Russell Westbrook's recovery, for fantasy purposes anyways. (Part of me hates him still from when he signed balls "I hate SF")

Meniscus surgery.

#2 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

This is one of those injuris that could present a nice bargain.It's the knee so I'm not worried long term. Looks like Opening Day in question, maybe he misses a week. Retroactively placed on DL would be my guess. I would take him at an (unwarranted) one or two round discount, stash him on the DL first week, then use him rest of the way not worrying about anything long term. I'd much prefer this discount over others like Verlander, Hamels, Iwakuma just because its the knee.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#3 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:39 AM

This is one of those injuris that could present a nice bargain.It's the knee so I'm not worried long term. Looks like Opening Day in question, maybe he misses a week. Retroactively placed on DL would be my guess. I would take him at an (unwarranted) one or two round discount, stash him on the DL first week, then use him rest of the way not worrying about anything long term. I'd much prefer this discount over others like Verlander, Hamels, Iwakuma just because its the knee.

I agree - meniscus is not terribly frightening for a pitcher. However I'm not really crazy about the fact that this is his second surgery of the offseason. I can hear it now: "Latos acknowledged his poor 2014 was due to the lingering pain issues presented by two procedures prior to the start of the season. He feels 100% now though and ready for a terrific 2015 campaign!"
  • An Old Hippie likes this
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#4 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:01 AM

which knee did he injure? if it was his plant knee (left) than I will downgrade him. that is not an easy injury to come back quickly from.

#5 mavsfan23

mavsfan23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:02 AM

which knee did he injure? if it was his plant knee (left) than I will downgrade him. that is not an easy injury to come back quickly from.

I don't think it matters which knee. Obviously the plant leg would be more of an issue, but it's still surgery on a knee. I've personally never met anyone with a knee injury that didn't deal with it daily for the rest of their lives.

Minor knee surgery is an oxymoron, imo. It's also odd that for the last few months of the offseason it wasn't a problem and now he needs surgery. I'm always leery of the out of nowhere minor injuries right before it's time to go to work. Either they're more concerned about their vacation and the pain should have been addressed earlier, or it's been bothering them for a while and they hid it.
Baseball can't get here fast enough

#6 d_wag

d_wag

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:05 AM

I don't think it matters which knee. Obviously the plant leg would be more of an issue, but it's still surgery on a knee. I've personally never met anyone with a knee injury that didn't deal with it daily for the rest of their lives.

Minor knee surgery is an oxymoron, imo. It's also odd that for the last few months of the offseason it wasn't a problem and now he needs surgery. I'm always leery of the out of nowhere minor injuries right before it's time to go to work. Either they're more concerned about their vacation and the pain should have been addressed earlier, or it's been bothering them for a while and they hid it.

he injured it earlier this week when he slipped off the mound

this is value - minor injury, he'll be fine. might miss a start at most, which in the grand scheme of things is more then offset by the round or two discount you'll get on a top 20 SP

#7 mavsfan23

mavsfan23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:05 AM

We'll see but I still don't like guys going under the knife for any reason this close to opening day, regardless of severity.
Baseball can't get here fast enough

#8 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

I'm not saying everyone should definitely take Latos - Its more that if you are a manager that likes to take those "minor injury" risks close to Opening Day, the knee is obviously much more minor than a finger (Iwakuma), arm (Hamels), or core (Verlander).

#9 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

If this causes him to drop there could be value. If it doesn't then I'd probably pass for a safer option.

This is also is dependent on what DDallas has tweet about this.

Edited by tucker26, 15 February 2014 - 04:00 PM.

• WahooManiac, moeron22 and MeisterT like this
And all the greatest of the heroes
Started jumping from the books
They started wearing ones and zeros
Looking more and more like crooks
They stole the sunlight from the future
Took a sip, drank half the glass then put it back

#10 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

It's a positive sign he's walking w/o crutches.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#11 MeisterT

MeisterT

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

If this causes him to drop there could be value. If it doesn't then I'd probably pass for a safer option.

This is also is dependent on what DDallas has tweet about this.

I tried to get a twitter update but apparently DDallas's 500 yard restraining order includes the internet <_<

If injury fears have him falling Latos could be a nice sort of "draft and stash" type, you know, a few weeks on the DL followed by burying him on the bench for another 2-3 starts. Meniscus isn't the worst but late surgeries aren't great either, plus I'm very conservative about sp injuries, and the thought of a gimpy donkey unable to get on top of his fastball or locate is scary (see Mat walk dudes, see Mat forget to cover 1B, see Mat get mad and groove 3 run bomb, see Mat turn into Dugout Doucheface, etc)
"It's the learning f------ nothing that keeps me young." - Al Swearengen

#12 avswsop91

avswsop91

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:52 PM

How worried are you guys? Love Mat but this has be worried. Should I not be?

12 Team Dynasty, Head-to-Head Category League (C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3 OF, Util, 7 P)

6x6 Each Categories (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, K, QS, W, SV, ERA, WHIP)

My Roster:

C - Travis d'Arnaud

1B - Paul Gouldschmidt

2B - Dee Gordon

3B - Todd Frazier

SS - (looking)

OF - Giancarlo Stanton, Jacoby Ellsbury, Yoenis Cespedes

UTIL - Edwin Encarnacion

Bench - Evan Longoria, Kole Calhoun, Lucas Duda, Mookie Betts, Rusney Castillo

SP - Stephen Strasburg, Madison Bumgarner, Sonny Gray, Alex Cobb, Jake Arrieta, Jacob deGrom, Mike Fiers, Carlos Carrasco

RP - Aroldis Chapman, David Robertson, Zach Britton, Dellin Betances

Prospects: N/A

DL - N/A

WON THE 2014 CHAMPIONSHIP!!

#13 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,730 posts
  • Interests:Mets - Knicks

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

im worried. the left knee is pretty important. best realistic scenario is he misses his first couple starts, comes back rusty, and finally gets it going like the latos we know by mid July.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#14 d_wag

d_wag

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

im worried. the left knee is pretty important. best realistic scenario is he misses his first couple starts, comes back rusty, and finally gets it going like the latos we know by mid July.

i strongly disagree

the best realistic scenario is he doesn't miss any starts and puts up a fast start like he did last year (april 2013 - 39 1/3 IP, 1.83 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 37K).

posts like this is why he's shaping up to be excellent value this year.
  • Sidearmer likes this

#15 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:40 AM

That is probably the worst case scenario at this point...He's already throwing and all the news so far has been positive. Right now I'd think it's 50/50 he even misses one game at all. Highly doubt he will be more rusty than the average pitcher starting the year. Its not like he won't be throwing. Even if he misses starts he will throw bullpens and simulated games

#16 Orion Braun

Orion Braun

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:05 PM

Looks like he is scheduled to pitch in his first game on Wednesday. How far has the knee surgery pushed him down people's draft boards? He still a top 20 pitcher?

Mat Latos (knee) is tentatively scheduled to pitch in a minor league game on Wednesday.

Latos first has to make it through a Tuesday throwing session. He underwent surgery in mid-February for a tear of the meniscus in his left knee but is aiming to start the Reds' sixth game of the regular season on April 6 against the Mets. Because of an April 1 off-day, that's the first time Cincinnati will need a fifth starter. Mar 17 - 7:27 PM

No one cares about my teams...

#17 peelpub94

peelpub94

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

He was about the 16th or 17th pitcher drafted in my league. I think that's about fair value for him.

Edited by The Harsh, 18 March 2014 - 12:21 PM.
Made post more general.

#18 Orion Braun

Orion Braun

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

In the middle of his first game right now, following surgery earlier this year. By all accounts on Twitter, he is looking very good, albeit against a Hi-A lineup...

@m_sheldon 11m
16 pitches/10 strikes for Latos in first. Touched 95 5 times. Grdout, infield single, strikeout, strikeout. Both Ks on breaking balls #reds

Hitting 95 on the gun already seems to be a good sign, no? His average FB velo was 92.5 last year...

EDIT: And right after I post this, I see:

@m_sheldon 3m

Trainer came to see Latos after something happened on a pitch. He continued and gave up a grd single to left field #reds

But it was followed by:

@m_sheldon 50s

2 innings for Latos. 31 pitches/19 strikes. 2nd inn: single, runner out after pitch in dirt, called K, single, strikeout #reds

Edited by Orion Braun, 19 March 2014 - 03:28 PM.

#19 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,878 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

In the middle of his first game right now, following surgery earlier this year. By all accounts on Twitter, he is looking very good, albeit against a Hi-A lineup...

@m_sheldon 11m
16 pitches/10 strikes for Latos in first. Touched 95 5 times. Grdout, infield single, strikeout, strikeout. Both Ks on breaking balls #reds

Hitting 95 on the gun already seems to be a good sign, no? His average FB velo was 92.5 last year...

EDIT: And right after I post this, I see:

@m_sheldon 3m
Trainer came to see Latos after something happened on a pitch. He continued and gave up a grd single to left field #reds

But it was followed by:

@m_sheldon 50s
2 innings for Latos. 31 pitches/19 strikes. 2nd inn: single, runner out after pitch in dirt, called K, single, strikeout #reds

Hmmm. This does look good for a first start. I was a little worried about him and I'm relying him to be my staff ACE (I really waited on pitching). I just hope he can be healthy and consistent like last year.
No Days Off

#20 Orion Braun

Orion Braun

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

Just a bit of clarification on the mound visit by the trainer....

@FSOhio_KGoheen 3m

Latos said issue was ankle, not knee. Is fine. "I'm not on the DL." #Reds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users