53 replies to this topic

#1 kidtwentytwo

kidtwentytwo

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:17 AM

Will be posting a few of these questions to argue/discuss until opening day.

First is how many leagues do you think is too many? Obviously different strokes for different folks and some can handle more than others, but I hear stories of people running 30-40 teams in all sorts of different leagues which is mind blowing.

How many is the most you can handle without the quality of your fantasy baseball team management suffering?

For me, my limit is about 5 and at least 2 of those 5 need to be low maintenance. After 5 it becomes too tedious to set lineups, waiver picks....and trades? Forget it.
Everybody panic

#2 supac720

supac720

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:42 AM

The most I've personally done is 7, which was pushing it, then you start to get a bit confused, rooting against certain players in your H2H matchup, then realizing oh crap, I OWN them in another league. I keep it at 4 or 5 now.
  • The Big Bat Theory likes this

#3 colepenhagen

colepenhagen

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,626 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

5 is a good number. I am hoping to do only 3 but pretty sure ill end up with 5

12 team 1 pt ppr $
qb A Rodgers
wr J Nelson, D Bryant
rb E Lacy
wr/te Ty Hilton
wr/rb G Bernard
te Kelce
def NE, STL (next week vs Oak)
bench

Fleener, Tre Mason, Hawkins (drop for kicker)

12 team 14 cat h2h 

g westbrook, ellis, teague, oladipo, knight,  calderon, young

f kd, derozan, t harris,  ed davis, 

c monroe, z bo, bogut, boozer

#4 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

3 tops. Too much management after that.
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#5 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

The most I've personally done is 7, which was pushing it, then you start to get a bit confused, rooting against certain players in your H2H matchup, then realizing oh crap, I OWN them in another league. I keep it at 4 or 5 now.

LOL, yeah that happens all the time to me.

The very first year I tried out fantasy baseball I did 8 basic Yahoo 12 team re-draft public leagues (4 h2h, 4 roto) to "learn it all quicker" as I thought of it. I "learned" not to do that again, heh.

I try to keep it to 4 leagues -- all dynasty but one new this year to replace one that isn't returning -- though I get a little tempted by new league posts or replacement posts round about the week before Opening Day. So I could tilt to 5 teams on impulse at the last minute unless I keep away from those threads. I try not to scroll too far down here to even see the thread on this site let alone scan it.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory, 15 February 2014 - 10:54 AM.

#6 posty

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,070 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

I play in two leagues...

One is a normal keeper league (can keep four players) and it is a 7x7 H2H league that has been in existence since 2002...

The other is a homers league where I take one team and can only have players that have played for that team... For example, I am the Nationals and players like Harper, Zimmerman and Strasburg that are exclusvie to me, I don't have to draft... If no one is Oakland, Gio Gonzalez is mine as well... But if the Tigers or Mariners owner is playing, I will have to go through a normal draft and try to get Fister before he does... I really enjoy this league...

#7 jimbo504

jimbo504

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

I did 4 leagues last year and thought that was too many. I'm maxing out at 2-3 this year.
Yahoo 12 team 2QB league
QB1: Peyton Manning / QB2: RG3 / RB1: Arian Foster / RB2: CJ Spiller
WR1: Andre Johnson / WR2: TY Hilton / WR3: Reggie Wayne / TE: Dennis Pitta / FLEX: Chris Johnson
K: Stephen Gostkowski / DEF: St. Louis
BN: Ray Rice / Dwayne Bowe / EJ Manuel / Travis Kelce / Josh Gordon / Cody Latimer

12 team .5 PPR .25 PPC
QB: Matt Ryan / RB1: Jamaal Charles / RB2: Arian Foster
WR1: Julio Jones / WR2: Larry Fitzgerald / TE: Martellus Bennett / FLEX: Chris Johnson
K: Matt Bryant / DEF: Seattle
BN: Mike Wallace / Knowshon Moreno / Matt Prater / Greg Jennings / Alex Smith / Jared Cook

10 team .5 PPR 2QB IDP
QB1: Matt Ryan / QB2: Robert Griffin III / RB1: Jamaal Charles / RB2: Le'veon Bell
WR1: Randall Cobb / WR2: Pierre Garcon / TE: Zach Ertz / FLEX1: CJ Spiller / FLEX2: Chris Johnson / K: Blair Walsh
BN: Marques Colston / Eric Decker / Ray Rice / Alex Smith

DB: Mark Barron / DB: Kam Chancellor
DL: Robert Quinn / DL: Jadeveon Clowney
LB: Alec Ogletree / LB: Von Miller

#8 bigbossman

bigbossman

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

I agree 3 should be max for optimum management. having a couple of leagues with weekly roster changes helps.
so many leagues, so little time.

#9 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

Depends on league settings. In weekly leagues you could do as many as you want, those are very low maintenance, but these leagues are more rare. Personally, I usually hover around 2-4, all daily. Usually end up getting similar players so I don't get the conflicts too much, but once you hit 5 teams or more those conflicts will keep coming up.

In football I'm usually doing 5+ in addition to separate survivor and pick'em pools, but all you really need for football leagues is to set your waivers on Tuesday night and set your lineups on Sunday morning, so its easier to handle.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#10 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

I did 4 last year and will be adding a 16 team redraft this year:
A.L. only dynasty
N.L. only dynasty
Mixed 14 team with 9 keepers
Mixed 12 redraft
Mixed 16 redraft

#11 Thespis721

Thespis721

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

I'd say 3. But only if the third one is low maintenance. I have two deep keeper prospect leagues. Those take a lot of management and wear on you over 6 months. A third of equal challenge and you start blending your teams and not sure your strategy.

Though it depends on how much time you have to devote and how much organization and notes you can prepare.
C: McCann
1B: Victor Martinez
2B: Dustin Ackley
3B: Kyle Seager
SS: Alexei Ramirez
CI: Anthony Rendon
MI: Jed Lowrie
OF: Justin Upton, Matt Kemp, Alex Gordon, De Aza
UT: Chase Headley
DL: Fowler, Lind
SP: Scherzer, Kazmir, Alex Wood, Lincecum, Gallardo

#12 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,910 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:34 AM

When it gets to big that you are watching games and things happening are contradicting one another. I think everyone has a "go-to" league that they truly care about, for me most years that is all I do which is a Roto 5x5 auction keeper league.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#13 An Old Hippie

An Old Hippie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

Looks like I am going to be the glutton for punishment. Cut it down to 9 this year with 5 basic keeper leagues, 3 dynasties (1 new) and 2 public leagues). Disabled and have the time to devote. Keep spreadsheets on all teams for trade offers both for those I send and those I get (helps in knowing the other managers tendencies in players).

I also don't root against certain players as I enjoy baseball period and usually have one game or another on all day, from the first game of the day till the last one ends. Have found that the Giants announcers are the best to go to sleep by. Just a smooth broadcast. LOL

#14 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

Looks like I am going to be the glutton for punishment. Cut it down to 9 this year with 5 basic keeper leagues, 3 dynasties (1 new) and 2 public leagues). Disabled and have the time to devote. Keep spreadsheets on all teams for trade offers both for those I send and those I get (helps in knowing the other managers tendencies in players).

I also don't root against certain players as I enjoy baseball period and usually have one game or another on all day, from the first game of the day till the last one ends. Have found that the Giants announcers are the best to go to sleep by. Just a smooth broadcast. LOL

I don't think you are a glutton for punishment given your situation. This is your workplace now complete with spreadsheets et al. It's a good thing to have a job to get up for early in the morning and a schedule for the day no matter what the work is. And your work is fun and something you love. You got a good thing going.
  • Willsea33 likes this

#15 Dogstar21

Dogstar21

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

i've been playing 7 leagues for the last few years. 1 big $$ league which gets most of my attention, 1 small $$ league which gets 2nd most, the other 5 are free leagues. All my leagues are daily lineups, 1 is H2H, 2 are keepers. I tend to have a lot of the same players, although different formats push me towards some differences. Last year i won 3 of my 7 leagues, finished top 3 in 3 of them, and outside top 3 in one. That included 2nd in my big $$ league and 1st in my small $$ league. I've cashed in my big $$ league the last 3 years (only played in it for 4 years, 2 2nds and a 3rd) and my small $$ league in 3 of the last 4 (winning it 3 times).

I find being in a lot of leagues and paying attention to transactions helps me identify some good potential adds for some of my other leagues, plus, having to pay attention to that many more players from my own teams clues me in to other goings on.

I work in front of a computer, so i usually manage to find time to keep up with all my leagues, although i definitely pay more attention to trade opportunities and really manage my stat categories in my 2 primary leagues.

#16 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

I don't think it's actually possible to compete to your fullest in more than 2-3 leagues, especially if they are trading leagues. Leagues without trading can be managed a bit easier.

If you're in like 5+ leagues but you only really care about 1-2, unless you just luck out with a monster team in the others, I get it. But really, I dedicate a lot of time to fantasy baseball and I think 3 serious leagues would be spreading myself too thin.

Edited by brockpapersizer, 15 February 2014 - 01:00 PM.

FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#17 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

I do 4-5 football only 2 baseball (1 free but very competitive, helps a lot with the money league)

Way too much daily monitoring needed in baseball ... I think I'd end up in an asylum with more teams.

#18 Bash Bros

Bash Bros

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

With work/wife/kids/other commitments as well as being my league commish, I sometimes struggle managing one team lol. It's a competitive keeper league amongst a group of friends so it's a really fun league, but I think one league is pretty much my maximum at this point in the game.

#19 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

I played in 21 leagues 2 years ago. that was too many.
  • bigbossman likes this
I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#20 colepenhagen

colepenhagen

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,626 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

yea did 32 football and had did very good thought i could do 32 baseball that didnt work out

12 team 1 pt ppr $
qb A Rodgers
wr J Nelson, D Bryant
rb E Lacy
wr/te Ty Hilton
wr/rb G Bernard
te Kelce
def NE, STL (next week vs Oak)
bench

Fleener, Tre Mason, Hawkins (drop for kicker)

12 team 14 cat h2h 

g westbrook, ellis, teague, oladipo, knight,  calderon, young

f kd, derozan, t harris,  ed davis, 

c monroe, z bo, bogut, boozer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users