#1 poopdungbeatle

poopdungbeatle

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

His 2015 outlook?! GETTING PAID!
He made 44.2 Million dollars in 2012.......44.2 million freaking dollars!
As a Kid, I always dreamed of becoming a professional sports player and making tons of money (what guy doesn't).
But kids should now dream about becoming a commish for a professional league!
14 team Yahoo H2H Dynasty League (7x7)

BA / R / HR / RBI / SB / TB / BB
C - Evan Gattis / 1b - Edwin Encarnacion / 2b - Danny Santana / 3b - Todd Frazier / SS - Hanley Ramirez
OF - Carlos Gomez, Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp
Util - Hunter Pence, Charlie Blackmon, Kendrys Morales
Bench - Devin Mesoraco, Alex Guerrero
NA - Kris Bryant, Joc Pederson
DL - George Springer

W / ERA / WHIP / K / QS / SV / HLD
SP - Clayton Kershaw, Johnny Cueto, Hisashi Iwakuma
RP - Kenley Jansen, Zach Britton, Luke Gregerson
P -   Bryan Shaw, Jake Petricka, JP Howell, Mike Fiers
Bench - Alex Wood, Chris Archer, Danny Duffy, Jacob, deGrom, Jimmy Nelson, Kyle Hendricks, Carlos Carrasco

#2 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

I don't mind him at all....but if he takes away the XPT or adds playoffs teams I wont like him.

#3 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

Posted Image

#4 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

Posted Image

If your point is that for him being the 'CEO' of the NFL, it's not THAT outrageous a sum for compensation, then I'd agree.

I don't really see why people are up in arms over what Goodell makes. Honestly, why do you care?
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

Twitter: @MrJaredMoore

#5 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

If you understand business you will understand why he made that much money. In today's sports world the commissioners aren't commissioners, they are lawyers and businessmen. The NFL made 10's of Billions of dollars. As the leader and main driver of this success, he deserves the money he got, which was around 44 million. Add in the fact that he probably saved the NFL more than his entire salary just in the concussions lawsuit and you could argue he's underpaid. I understand he isn't the only guy doing this, but the executive in charge makes the key decisions and his views and culture filter down through the business. This is true in just about every business.

Plus that list doesn't mean much. First off, looks like those are just public companies. There are a bunch of private companies we don't know how much the CEO's make. Secondly, a lot of those lists ignore things like stock options so the numbers get skewed.

A better comparison would be the CEO salary as a percentage of the company's net income. Unfortunately, NFL net income is not publicly available.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#6 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

If you understand business you will understand why he made that much money. In today's sports world the commissioners aren't commissioners, they are lawyers and businessmen. The NFL made 10's of Billions of dollars. As the leader and main driver of this success, he deserves the money he got, which was around 44 million. Add in the fact that he probably saved the NFL more than his entire salary just in the concussions lawsuit and you could argue he's underpaid. I understand he isn't the only guy doing this, but the executive in charge makes the key decisions and his views and culture filter down through the business. This is true in just about every business.

Plus that list doesn't mean much. First off, looks like those are just public companies. There are a bunch of private companies we don't know how much the CEO's make. Secondly, a lot of those lists ignore things like stock options so the numbers get skewed.

A better comparison would be the CEO salary as a percentage of the company's net income. Unfortunately, NFL net income is not publicly available.

That still remains to be seen.....I wouldn't be shocked if the judge ultimately rejected that agreement and it wound up costing the NFL much more money.

Still though, I think people see Goodell making 44 million dollars and are wondering why the players don't get a bigger piece. But the reality is that Goodell is much more important than the 52nd player on the Jaguars roster, and should make substantially more.

Plus, it's not my money, so I don't care.
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

Twitter: @MrJaredMoore

#7 GreatScott!

GreatScott!

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:32 AM

That still remains to be seen.....I wouldn't be shocked if the judge ultimately rejected that agreement and it wound up costing the NFL much more money.

Still though, I think people see Goodell making 44 million dollars and are wondering why the players don't get a bigger piece. But the reality is that Goodell is much more important than the 52nd player on the Jaguars roster, and should make substantially more.

Plus, it's not my money, so I don't care.

I don't think anyone, unless you are an NFL player or are in the players union, is wondering why the players don't get a bigger piece of the pie. I think most people think anyone in sports makes way too much money. But that's how it goes. Goodell is like the CEO of the NFL. That salary, while very high, is pretty much on par with CEO's with top companies. I think he's done a pretty good job as commish, though I do agree that he needs to leave extra points alone and also leave the playoff format alone.
10 Team Redraft 1 point PPR League 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE , 1 Flex, 1 DST, 1 K

QB - Cam Newton
RB - Monte Ball
RB - Andre Ellington
RB - Shane Vereen
RB - Reggie Bush
RB - Bernard Pierce
RB - Mark Ingam
RB - Khirby Robinson
RB - Terrance West
WR - AJ Green
WR - Dez Bryant
WR - Victor Cruz
WR - Kelvin Benjamin
TE - Jordan Cameron
TE - Zach Ertz
D/ST - Texans
K - Cody Parkey

#8 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

I don't think anyone, unless you are an NFL player or are in the players union, is wondering why the players don't get a bigger piece of the pie. I think most people think anyone in sports makes way too much money. But that's how it goes. Goodell is like the CEO of the NFL. That salary, while very high, is pretty much on par with CEO's with top companies. I think he's done a pretty good job as commish, though I do agree that he needs to leave extra points alone and also leave the playoff format alone.

We should also remember that the percentage of the pie is something the NFLPA and NFL just renegotiated with the new collective bargaining agreement, so the players can't really complain.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#9 youngrice

youngrice

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

Posted Image

If your point is that for him being the 'CEO' of the NFL, it's not THAT outrageous a sum for compensation, then I'd agree.

I don't really see why people are up in arms over what Goodell makes. Honestly, why do you care?

Honestly I could care less and good for him for making all that money. But the issue is the NFL is considered a non profit organization and doesn't have the same tax ramifications of normal businesses because of that. That is where the big issue over the commish making 40 plus mill is coming from.

#10 Winky

Winky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

They couldn't possibly be trying to make a profit. :wacko:

I wonder how he stacks up against the compensations listed for the CEO's of the largest Not For Profits...
You know, organizations like the United Way, the Salvation Army, and Feed the Children...
This post is rated "G".

#11 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:06 PM

XPT or not I don't care. make TDs 7 points is fine by me. The end result doesn't change

Adding playoff teams is just a cheap cash grab (something goodell loves). Cheapens what it means to make the playoffs and gives more chances for fluke teams to mess with good teams who earned it more.

London is such a retarded idea. Hit L.A first, then how about Canada...........you know.........the same time zones and continents and drastically drastically easier travel. Canadians are twice as familiar with football as your average brit. (CFL and all)

Really hate most of Goodells other rules.........Dan Marino would probably pee himself from laughing so much if he played in this league. "so you mean my guys can now go across the middle all the time.........and that is PI.........and that is PI too...........and that is PI too........and anyone that breaths on me or my Wrs too heavy is fined, maybe suspended and it is 15 yards?...HAHAHA"

#12 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,963 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:46 AM

I don't blame Goodell persay for the soft nature of where the NFL is going. I think the large blame lies with players associaton and with the players themselves. The players are suing the league at ridiculous rates. And the players association back in the day didn't look out for the players after football life. The league now has to cover itself from all the lawsuits. But at some point enough is enough. The eliminating kick returns stinks. I miss seeing guys take them back and change field position with a dynamic returner. The London idea sucks. My family all lives over in England and they say people could careless about the NFL. It would be novelty that would quickly wear off, like Vancouver with basketball. England is old school traditionalists, soccer, rugby and cricket will always rule over there.

The one thing I really have to give Goodell blame for is the way they handle the referees. They have to start making these guys full time league employees and pay them more. The replacement refs were an absolute joke in the 2012 season. The head ref in the Seahawks - 49ers playoff game was refing a college basketball game 5 days before the game. That should never happen. Goodell isn't as bad as Stern or Selig but he is trending in the wrong direction.

Edited by Cmilne23, 17 February 2014 - 12:47 AM.

#13 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:08 AM

Not as bad as $tern? strong standard bro. Unless your name is Adolf I highly doubt you could be worse then $tern.
The lawsuit point is fair. Clearly retired and current player have different viewpoints.........although the goal is the $ame .

I know more Aussies that follow the NFL then Brits.Lol at cricket and England, Sport is almost as lame as curling. (for the unaware curling is shuttleboard but instead of your grandpa and grandmother playing it in the old folks home it is played on ice and instead of seniors with no other choice it is played but sad sections of humanity by choice)
  • Cmilne23 likes this

#14 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,963 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:12 AM

Not as bad as $tern? strong standard bro. Unless your name is Adolf I highly doubt you could be worse then $tern.
The lawsuit point is fair. Clearly retired and current player have different viewpoints.........although the goal is the $ame .

I know more Aussies that follow the NFL then Brits.Lol at cricket and England, Sport is almost as lame as curling. (for the unaware curling is shuttleboard but instead of your grandpa and grandmother playing it in the old folks home it is played on ice and instead of seniors with no other choice it is played but sad sections of humanity by choice)

LOL when I was 7 years old my grandparents from England sent me a cricket set for Christmas. When my brothers and I tried to figure out to play we just gave up and hit rocks with the cricket clubs and probably broke them within 30 minutes.

Edited by Cmilne23, 17 February 2014 - 01:12 AM.

#15 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:34 AM

LOL when I was 7 years old my grandparents from England sent me a cricket set for Christmas. When my brothers and I tried to figure out to play we just gave up and hit rocks with the cricket clubs and probably broke them within 30 minutes.

Murica

#16 Skoodog

Skoodog

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,625 posts
  • Interests:Driving Porsches with Paul Walker

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:14 AM

So far in his tenure Roger Goodell has been one of the most reactive commissioners ever to head the NFL - let's take a walk through his tenure:

1) He made it impossible for defensive backs to do their job without ending careers (for which he will hand out big suspensions if it looks bad on camera or a star player gets hurt), all due to the NFL getting sued by former players;

2) assigned himself as judge and jury for fines and suspensions, doling them out without consistency (see bounty gate where players were brutally fined by doing what their boss told them - even Tagliabue said the fines were ridiculous);

3) hired scab refs when he couldn't get a deal done, then immediately settled when a bad call hurt a big market team;

4) made no effort to help the NFLPA reduce draconian drug rules that were 10x as strict as Olympic standards until it started hurting big market teams;

5) the most obvious and recent example, the NFL had clear evidence of Ray Rice knocking the eff out of his now wife and didn't suspend him until the video hit the wire.

To me the Rice debacle isn't as much the reason as the symptom of bad reactive management. At every turn nothing is done proactively to solve the issues pervading the league and the game itself has changed immensely, probably to it's detriment.

Honestly, the Rice scandal was terrible but not the real reason he should resign. It was more of an off the field issue than the 4th quarter Rex Grossman interceptions like what is happening to defenses. I don't want to see the sport we all know and love continue down the path that basketball has where the game is gone and all that is left are big stars and no strategy.

• Dr.Funktopus, J.T. Marlin and flight23 like this
Legend has it...they don't check on the weekends...

#17 M0cked

M0cked

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

Is he going to remain commish or not? What will happen with Rice or Gordon and upcoming agreements to the drug policies? So much going on!!!

12 - Man ESPN Standard League
QB - Jay Cutler
RB - Stevan Ridley , Joique Bell                      Bench - Pierre Thomas, Justin Forsett, Adrian Peterson
WR - Keenan Allen, Brandon Marshall            Bench - Josh Gordon, Brian Quick, A.J. Green
FLEX - Emmanual Sanders
TE - Niles Paul
DEF - Saints
K - Dan Carpenter

#18 lolcopter

lolcopter

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

where is the fire goodell petition?

12 team standard
QB -- Matt Ryan
RB -- Andre Ellington, Bobby Rainey
WR -- Julio Jones, Randall Cobb

TE -- Dennis Pitta
Flex -- Cordarrelle Patterson
D/ST -- Rams
K -- Nick Novak
Bench --
Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd, Matt Asiata, Alfred Blue, Larry Donnell, Tony Romo, Redskins D/ST

FIRE GOODELL

#19 93_Confirmed

93_Confirmed

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:51 AM

He seems like a plodder with limited burst. I'll pass.
  • mmrodri likes this

#20 SuperSurgeMC

SuperSurgeMC

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:52 AM

He's no Jackie Battle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users