Jump to content

Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Rodger Goodell2015 Season Outlook


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 poopdungbeatle

poopdungbeatle

    All-Time Great

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,382 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:So Cal

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

His 2015 outlook?! GETTING PAID!
He made 44.2 Million dollars in 2012.......44.2 million freaking dollars!
As a Kid, I always dreamed of becoming a professional sports player and making tons of money (what guy doesn't).
But kids should now dream about becoming a commish for a professional league!
14 team Yahoo H2H Dynasty League (7x7)

BA / R / HR / RBI / SB / TB / BB
C - Evan Gattis / 1b - Allen Craig / 2b - Kolten Wong / 3b - Edwin Encarnacion / SS - Hanley Ramirez
OF - Carlos Gomez, Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp
Util - Hunter Pence, Todd Frazier, Brad Miller
Bench - Yan Gomes, George Springer, Charlie Blackmon, Devin Mesoraco
NA - Kris Bryant

W / ERA / WHIP / K / QS / SV / HLD
SP - Johnny Cueto, Justin Masterson, Chris Archer
RP - Kenley Jansen, Ernesto Frieri, Brian Wilson
P -   Kevin Siegrist, Pedro Strop, Josh Fields, JP Howell
Bench - Alex Wood, Drew Hutchison, Charlie Morton, Robbie Ross, Eddie Butler
NA- Kyle Zimmer
DL - Clayton Kershaw, Hisashi Iwakuma

#2 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

I don't mind him at all....but if he takes away the XPT or adds playoffs teams I wont like him.

#3 lolcopter

lolcopter

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

enough of this international bullshit already



that's a ridiculous sum of money for his contributions to the league imo

Edited by lolcopter, 15 February 2014 - 11:13 AM.


#4 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

Posted Image

#5 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

View PostMy Dinner With Andre, on 15 February 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

Posted Image

If your point is that for him being the 'CEO' of the NFL, it's not THAT outrageous a sum for compensation, then I'd agree.

I don't really see why people are up in arms over what Goodell makes. Honestly, why do you care?
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

Twitter: @MrJaredMoore

#6 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

If you understand business you will understand why he made that much money. In today's sports world the commissioners aren't commissioners, they are lawyers and businessmen. The NFL made 10's of Billions of dollars. As the leader and main driver of this success, he deserves the money he got, which was around 44 million. Add in the fact that he probably saved the NFL more than his entire salary just in the concussions lawsuit and you could argue he's underpaid. I understand he isn't the only guy doing this, but the executive in charge makes the key decisions and his views and culture filter down through the business. This is true in just about every business.

Plus that list doesn't mean much. First off, looks like those are just public companies. There are a bunch of private companies we don't know how much the CEO's make. Secondly, a lot of those lists ignore things like stock options so the numbers get skewed.

A better comparison would be the CEO salary as a percentage of the company's net income. Unfortunately, NFL net income is not publicly available.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#7 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

View PostSidearmer, on 15 February 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

If you understand business you will understand why he made that much money. In today's sports world the commissioners aren't commissioners, they are lawyers and businessmen. The NFL made 10's of Billions of dollars. As the leader and main driver of this success, he deserves the money he got, which was around 44 million. Add in the fact that he probably saved the NFL more than his entire salary just in the concussions lawsuit and you could argue he's underpaid. I understand he isn't the only guy doing this, but the executive in charge makes the key decisions and his views and culture filter down through the business. This is true in just about every business.

Plus that list doesn't mean much. First off, looks like those are just public companies. There are a bunch of private companies we don't know how much the CEO's make. Secondly, a lot of those lists ignore things like stock options so the numbers get skewed.

A better comparison would be the CEO salary as a percentage of the company's net income. Unfortunately, NFL net income is not publicly available.

That still remains to be seen.....I wouldn't be shocked if the judge ultimately rejected that agreement and it wound up costing the NFL much more money.

Still though, I think people see Goodell making 44 million dollars and are wondering why the players don't get a bigger piece. But the reality is that Goodell is much more important than the 52nd player on the Jaguars roster, and should make substantially more.

Plus, it's not my money, so I don't care.
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

Twitter: @MrJaredMoore

#8 GreatScott!

GreatScott!

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Indiana

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:32 AM

View PostTheJRod2006, on 15 February 2014 - 09:42 PM, said:

View PostSidearmer, on 15 February 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

If you understand business you will understand why he made that much money. In today's sports world the commissioners aren't commissioners, they are lawyers and businessmen. The NFL made 10's of Billions of dollars. As the leader and main driver of this success, he deserves the money he got, which was around 44 million. Add in the fact that he probably saved the NFL more than his entire salary just in the concussions lawsuit and you could argue he's underpaid. I understand he isn't the only guy doing this, but the executive in charge makes the key decisions and his views and culture filter down through the business. This is true in just about every business.

Plus that list doesn't mean much. First off, looks like those are just public companies. There are a bunch of private companies we don't know how much the CEO's make. Secondly, a lot of those lists ignore things like stock options so the numbers get skewed.

A better comparison would be the CEO salary as a percentage of the company's net income. Unfortunately, NFL net income is not publicly available.

That still remains to be seen.....I wouldn't be shocked if the judge ultimately rejected that agreement and it wound up costing the NFL much more money.

Still though, I think people see Goodell making 44 million dollars and are wondering why the players don't get a bigger piece. But the reality is that Goodell is much more important than the 52nd player on the Jaguars roster, and should make substantially more.

Plus, it's not my money, so I don't care.

I don't think anyone, unless you are an NFL player or are in the players union, is wondering why the players don't get a bigger piece of the pie.  I think most people think anyone in sports makes way too much money.  But that's how it goes.  Goodell is like the CEO of the NFL. That salary, while very high, is pretty much on par with CEO's with top companies.  I think he's done a pretty good job as commish, though I do agree that he needs to leave extra points alone and also leave the playoff format alone.
10 Team PPR 1 Flex
QB  Brees
RB - R.Bush,
RB - G. Bernard
RB - Z.Stacy
RB - MJD
RB - J. Bell
RB - S.Vereen
RB - D.Sproles
RB - J.Todman
WR - D.Jackson
WR - K. Allen
WR - M.Crabtree
WR - S.Johnson
TE - J.Cameron
TE - J.Thomas
D/ST Seattle
K - Whomever

#9 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostGreatScott!, on 16 February 2014 - 07:32 AM, said:

I don't think anyone, unless you are an NFL player or are in the players union, is wondering why the players don't get a bigger piece of the pie.  I think most people think anyone in sports makes way too much money.  But that's how it goes.  Goodell is like the CEO of the NFL. That salary, while very high, is pretty much on par with CEO's with top companies.  I think he's done a pretty good job as commish, though I do agree that he needs to leave extra points alone and also leave the playoff format alone.

We should also remember that the percentage of the pie is something the NFLPA and NFL just renegotiated with the new collective bargaining agreement, so the players can't really complain.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#10 youngrice

youngrice

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

View PostTheJRod2006, on 15 February 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

View PostMy Dinner With Andre, on 15 February 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

Posted Image

If your point is that for him being the 'CEO' of the NFL, it's not THAT outrageous a sum for compensation, then I'd agree.

I don't really see why people are up in arms over what Goodell makes. Honestly, why do you care?
Honestly I could care less and good for him for making all that money. But the issue is the NFL is considered a non profit organization and doesn't have the same tax ramifications of normal businesses because of that.  That is where the big issue over the commish making 40 plus mill is coming from.

#11 Winky

Winky

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,079 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Parts Unkn

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

They couldn't possibly be trying to make a profit.  :wacko:

I wonder how he stacks up against the compensations listed for the CEO's of the largest Not For Profits...
You know, organizations like the United Way, the Salvation Army, and Feed the Children...
This post is rated "G".

#12 Gains

Gains

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:06 PM

XPT or not I don't care. make TDs 7 points is fine by me. The end result doesn't change

Adding playoff teams is just a cheap cash grab (something goodell loves). Cheapens what it means to make the playoffs and gives more chances for fluke teams to mess with good teams who earned it more.

London is such a retarded idea. Hit L.A first, then how about Canada...........you know.........the same time zones and continents and drastically drastically easier travel. Canadians are twice as familiar with football as your average brit. (CFL and all)

Really hate most of Goodells other rules.........Dan Marino would probably pee himself from laughing so much if he played in this league. "so you mean my guys can now go across the middle all the time.........and that is PI.........and that is PI too...........and that is PI too........and anyone that breaths on me or my Wrs too heavy is fined, maybe suspended and it is 15 yards?...HAHAHA"

#13 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,921 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:46 AM

I don't blame Goodell persay for the soft nature of where the NFL is going.  I think the large blame lies with players associaton and with the players themselves.  The players are suing the league at ridiculous rates.  And the players association back in the day didn't look out for the players after football life.  The league now has to cover itself from all the lawsuits.  But at some point enough is enough.  The eliminating kick returns stinks.  I miss seeing guys take them back and change field position with a dynamic returner.  The London idea sucks.  My family all lives over in England and they say people could careless about the NFL.  It would be novelty that would quickly wear off, like Vancouver with basketball.  England is old school traditionalists, soccer, rugby and cricket will always rule over there.

The one thing I really have to give Goodell blame for is the way they handle the referees.  They have to start making these guys full time league employees and pay them more.  The replacement refs were an absolute joke in the 2012 season.  The head ref in the Seahawks - 49ers playoff game was refing a college basketball game 5 days before the game.  That should never happen.  Goodell isn't as bad as Stern or Selig but he is trending in the wrong direction.

Edited by Cmilne23, 17 February 2014 - 12:47 AM.


#14 Gains

Gains

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:08 AM

Not as bad as $tern? strong standard bro. Unless your name is Adolf I highly doubt you could be worse then $tern.                                                        
The lawsuit point is fair. Clearly retired and current player have different viewpoints.........although the goal is the $ame .

I know more Aussies that follow the NFL then Brits.Lol at cricket and England, Sport is almost as lame as curling. (for the unaware curling is shuttleboard but instead of your grandpa and grandmother playing it in the old folks home it is played on ice and instead of seniors with no other choice it is played but sad sections of humanity by choice)

#15 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,921 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:12 AM

View PostGains, on 17 February 2014 - 01:08 AM, said:

Not as bad as $tern? strong standard bro. Unless your name is Adolf I highly doubt you could be worse then $tern.
The lawsuit point is fair. Clearly retired and current player have different viewpoints.........although the goal is the $ame .

I know more Aussies that follow the NFL then Brits.Lol at cricket and England, Sport is almost as lame as curling. (for the unaware curling is shuttleboard but instead of your grandpa and grandmother playing it in the old folks home it is played on ice and instead of seniors with no other choice it is played but sad sections of humanity by choice)

LOL when I was 7 years old my grandparents from England sent me a cricket set for Christmas.  When my brothers and I tried to figure out to play we just gave up and hit rocks with the cricket clubs and probably broke them within 30 minutes.

Edited by Cmilne23, 17 February 2014 - 01:12 AM.


#16 Gains

Gains

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:34 AM

View PostCmilne23, on 17 February 2014 - 01:12 AM, said:

View PostGains, on 17 February 2014 - 01:08 AM, said:

Not as bad as $tern? strong standard bro. Unless your name is Adolf I highly doubt you could be worse then $tern.
The lawsuit point is fair. Clearly retired and current player have different viewpoints.........although the goal is the $ame .

I know more Aussies that follow the NFL then Brits.Lol at cricket and England, Sport is almost as lame as curling. (for the unaware curling is shuttleboard but instead of your grandpa and grandmother playing it in the old folks home it is played on ice and instead of seniors with no other choice it is played but sad sections of humanity by choice)

LOL when I was 7 years old my grandparents from England sent me a cricket set for Christmas.  When my brothers and I tried to figure out to play we just gave up and hit rocks with the cricket clubs and probably broke them within 30 minutes.

Murica




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users