38 replies to this topic

#1 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

Career year last year. and had many games especially towards the end where he was highly start able.

What happens this year?
More weapons ? Kelce (some sleeper TE that is supposedly great and was hurt last year)
New Wr Draftee? (Reid and Dorsey have great track record of drafting WRs, but Oline could use help as well as secondary)
JC might not repeat last year exactly...but still a STUD.

Still going to be very low on the TOs, not a good bet for bonuses for +40 yard plays, and will give some rushing yards.

#2 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:38 PM

High quality qb2...nothing more. And it's only because he gets in on Charles explosive dump offs.

Smith is decently capable, but it's a run first offense where Ried just doesn't allow Smith to take shots downfield. I'll generally pass on Smith to be on my roster in 2014.

#3 Fantasymaestro

Fantasymaestro

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:41 PM

If I wait really late for a qb, I could see myself using Smith in a tandem with maybe Cutler, Bridgewater, Manziel, Bradford or RG3. Pretty consistent floor with one of the lowest ceilings

#4 ToO_BaD

ToO_BaD

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,829 posts
  • Interests:SF GIANTS, Niners, Warriors

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

High quality qb2...nothing more. And it's only because he gets in on Charles explosive dump offs.

Smith is decently capable, but it's a run first offense where Ried just doesn't allow Smith to take shots downfield. I'll generally pass on Smith to be on my roster in 2014.

I agree here. Can't see him being a starting fantasy QB outside of leagues that start more than one QB. Lack of turnovers is a plus, but definitely some games helped out mainly by Charles's explosion and playmaking capabilities. Guy has never been a yardage QB, so like you mentioned he really won't be worth much in leagues that are either TD heavy for all positions or reward throwing yard bonuses.
RW Mock Draft Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, 6pt all TDs

QB: Aaron Rodgers
RB: Matt Forte, Trent Richardson,
DeAngelo Williams, Stepfan Taylor
WR: Pierre Garçon, Larry Fitzgerald, Kelvin Benjamin, Allen Robinson
W/R/T: T.Y. Hilton, Mike Evans
TE: Vernon Davis,
Antonio Gates
DEF: Denver D/ST
K: Stephen Gostkowski

Any Given Pick League (Friends): 11-team non-PPR, Running point total, 10pt all TDs, 10 point bonus at 100 yds rush/rec or 300 yards passing, Can keep up to three players drafted 9th round or later for 4 years after draft (* = keepers prior to draft)

QB: Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins
RB: Eddie Lacy, Arian Foster, Lamar Miller, Fred Jackson*, Terrance West
WR: Demaryius Thomas, Julio Jones*, Cordarelle Patterson, Josh Gordon*
Flex: Percy Harvin
TE: Niles Paul
DEF: Lions D/ST
K: Parkey

#5 WhatWouldDitkaDo

WhatWouldDitkaDo

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

It's not really a run first offense. Reid plays a West Coast type offense where a lot of screens and short passes set up the running game. There were a lot of drops and bad routes run last season, so if the Chiefs can upgrade their WR/TE corps, Smith would've had a lot more yardage. Also, Jamaal Charles excels in the screen game, and every time he breaks off a big one, Smith benefits. Same with receiving touchdowns. Charles ran for a lot of TDs, but he had a lot of receiving TDs too. If they get a solid receiving TE who can be a redzone threat, that only adds to Smith's ability to throw more TDs this season. With the lack of interceptions and a decent scramble, and Smith is a fine fantasy QB. It all depends who's available, but I would take a chance on Smith if he's there for me in the 7th or 8th round. I see him finishing as a top-12 QB this season.

Team 1: Lacy Panties & Crabs (16-Team PPR IDP)
QB: Russell Wilson, Blake Bortles
RB: Matt Forte, Eddie Lacy, Pierre Thomas, Ahmad Bradshaw, Justin Forsett, Jerick McKinnon
WR: Michael Crabtree, Roddy White, Michael Floyd, Mike Wallace, Justin Hunter
TE: Larry Donnell
LB: DeAndre Levy, Paul Worrilow, Jelani Jenkins, Demario Davis, Jerrell Freeman
DL: Corey Liuget, Sheldon Richardson
DB: T.J. Ward, Antonio Allen, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Team 2: Yo Soy Fiesta (12-Team Dynasty PPR)
QB: Aaron Rodgers, Jimmy Garoppolo
RB: LeSean McCoy, Rashad Jennings, Frank Gore, Fred Jackson, Carlos Hyde, Devonta Freeman
WR: Jordy Nelson, Michael Crabtree, Julian Edelman, Steve Smith
TE: Rob Gronkowski, Travis Kelce

Team 3: Josh Gordon Chevy (12-Team Auction 0.5 PPR)
QB: Colin Kaepernick
RB: LeSean McCoy, Lamar Miller, Jeremy Hill, Matt Asiata, Isaiah Crowell, Lorenzo Taliaferro
WR: Dez Bryant, Julio Jones, Terrance Williams, Jordan Matthews, Josh Gordon
TE: Travis Kelce

#6 munde53

munde53

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

KC last season:
Rushing attempts - 442 (15th in the NFL)
Passing attempts - 546 (20th in the NFL)

They are a much more well balanced offense than people give them credit for.

10 Team
QB: M Ryan
RB: Z Stacy, A Ellington, J Bell, B Tate, T West, K Moreno, MJD
WR: Megatron, K Allen, R White, K Wright, R Wayne
TE: J Reed, N Paul
K: M Bryant
Def: New England

12 Team
QB: Cam
RB: T Gerhart, J Bell, B Tate, K Moreno, B Pierce, I Crowell, L Taliaferro 
WR: Dez, Julio, A Brown
TE: Gronk, J Reed
K: M Bryant
Def: New England

#7 ToO_BaD

ToO_BaD

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

It's not really a run first offense. Reid plays a West Coast type offense where a lot of screens and short passes set up the running game. There were a lot of drops and bad routes run last season, so if the Chiefs can upgrade their WR/TE corps, Smith would've had a lot more yardage. Also, Jamaal Charles excels in the screen game, and every time he breaks off a big one, Smith benefits. Same with receiving touchdowns. Charles ran for a lot of TDs, but he had a lot of receiving TDs too. If they get a solid receiving TE who can be a redzone threat, that only adds to Smith's ability to throw more TDs this season. With the lack of interceptions and a decent scramble, and Smith is a fine fantasy QB. It all depends who's available, but I would take a chance on Smith if he's there for me in the 7th or 8th round. I see him finishing as a top-12 QB this season.

4 of Charles's 7 receiving TDs came in that ridiculous game against Oakland. You can't really bank on those kinds of games when you are talking about your starting QB. Who would you knock out of the top 12 to put Smith in there? Brady and Ryan both had down years. They finished outside of the top 12 in standard scoring but still finished ahead of Smith. He already had career years in almost every category (some of which by a large margin). Not sure what players you are expecting them to bring in to allow Smith to continue building career years. And yes he is a good mobile QB, but also one who has suffered injuries in the past, having to miss multiple games in multiple seasons.

Antonio Gates

Any Given Pick League (Friends): 11-team non-PPR, Running point total, 10pt all TDs, 10 point bonus at 100 yds rush/rec or 300 yards passing, Can keep up to three players drafted 9th round or later for 4 years after draft (* = keepers prior to draft)

#8 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

4 of Charles's 7 receiving TDs came in that ridiculous game against Oakland. You can't really bank on those kinds of games when you are talking about your starting QB. Who would you knock out of the top 12 to put Smith in there? Brady and Ryan both had down years. They finished outside of the top 12 in standard scoring but still finished ahead of Smith. He already had career years in almost every category (some of which by a large margin). Not sure what players you are expecting them to bring in to allow Smith to continue building career years. And yes he is a good mobile QB, but also one who has suffered injuries in the past, having to miss multiple games in multiple seasons.

KC last season:
Rushing attempts - 442 (15th in the NFL)
Passing attempts - 546 (20th in the NFL)

They are a much more well balanced offense than people give them credit for.

The Chiefs had the 12th lowest pass proneness last year, checking in at 55% pass proneness. And when it comes down to it, outside of his dumps to Charles, his pass attempts are low quality in terms of being a good fantasy QB and racking up stats. Yes Charles is awesome dump to, but as has been alluded to, you can't just try and bank on Jamaal Charles to find yourself a fantasy QB1. Dwayne Bowe has a ton of talent, but he's just under-utilized. If Ried wanted to sling it more down field to at least give Smith a chance to be a QB1 he could, but he obviously found not doing so better fitting, making Charles the centerpiece and not putting too much on Smith to nail an accurate deep ball consistency.

Alex Smith's role is catered to not being even a solid fantasy QB. Charles breaking a long TD dump pass is the only true argument I see, and that just simply is not enough to try and bank on week-in week-out. His best quality is that he has a sturdy floor of production but his ceiling is limited in too many ways for me to really get excited about drafting this dude..even at an affordable price.

#9 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

I agree smith's style is far more real life friendly then fantasy friendly (dalton and staff say hello).
floor is pretty good and obvious the cheifs O has room to grow with a good TE and Wr. Reid is good at picking wrs.

Even then I never recommended him as a QB1 in 1 Qb leagues. If you in maybe a very large league 14+ then he is likely an option, And 2qb leagues he had better be drafted.

in 10 mans 1 qb he is a solid backup or streamer. I don't know many people that did this last year, but if you missed on romo and tried to do a tandem or eli/ben or ben/X. this year smith could be part of a tandem to rotate 2 solid qbs.
  • ToO_BaD likes this

#10 WhatWouldDitkaDo

WhatWouldDitkaDo

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

He was the 14th ranked QB in my league this past season. I think that both Dalton and Rivers will regress next season. Matt Ryan will get Julio and Roddy back, but Julio may not be at 100% yet, and Roddy is getting up there in age. Also, Ryan won't have Gonzalez as his safe check down. Brady depends a lot on how Dobson and Amendola develop and whether they stay healthy as well as whether Gronk can get back to 100% after all these injuries. Everyone loves Foles, but I'm not that sure that I'm sold. He could do great and probably will, but I haven't forgotten his awful games. It only takes one for a QB to start doubting himself and do poorly (look at Schaub this past season). Finally, while I think a few of the rookie QBs that will be drafted are very talented and might crack the top 12, but that remains to be seen until after the draft and preseason. As of right now, I think Smith will be a solid option at QB.

RB: Matt Forte, Eddie Lacy, Pierre Thomas, Ahmad Bradshaw, Justin Forsett, Jerick McKinnon

RB: LeSean McCoy, Rashad Jennings, Frank Gore, Fred Jackson, Carlos Hyde, Devonta Freeman

RB: LeSean McCoy, Lamar Miller, Jeremy Hill, Matt Asiata, Isaiah Crowell, Lorenzo Taliaferro

#11 ToO_BaD

ToO_BaD

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

He was the 14th ranked QB in my league this past season. I think that both Dalton and Rivers will regress next season. Matt Ryan will get Julio and Roddy back, but Julio may not be at 100% yet, and Roddy is getting up there in age. Also, Ryan won't have Gonzalez as his safe check down. Brady depends a lot on how Dobson and Amendola develop and whether they stay healthy as well as whether Gronk can get back to 100% after all these injuries. Everyone loves Foles, but I'm not that sure that I'm sold. He could do great and probably will, but I haven't forgotten his awful games. It only takes one for a QB to start doubting himself and do poorly (look at Schaub this past season). Finally, while I think a few of the rookie QBs that will be drafted are very talented and might crack the top 12, but that remains to be seen until after the draft and preseason. As of right now, I think Smith will be a solid option at QB.

Well speaking of Schaub, you also have to take into account QBs who might have had a down year and finished behind Smith who, at normal career production, would finish ahead of him. Bottom line, I agree with Gains. Smith is a solid real-life QB. He is smart with the ball. He will do what he has to do to keep his team in the game. But bottom line, he doesn't produce fantasy numbers worth having him as a starting QB in 12 team leagues or less (possibly even 14). He never has up to this point in his career.

Edited by ToO_BaD, 20 February 2014 - 10:49 AM.

• cbe_88 likes this

Antonio Gates

#12 WhatWouldDitkaDo

WhatWouldDitkaDo

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

Well speaking of Schaub, you also have to take into account QBs who might have had a down year and finished behind Smith who, at normal career production, would finish ahead of him. Bottom line, I agree with Gains. Smith is a solid real-life QB. He is smart with the ball. He will do what he has to do to keep his team in the game. But bottom line, he doesn't produce fantasy numbers worth having him as a starting QB in 12 team leagues or less (possibly even 14). He never has up to this point in his career.

Which QBs with down years are you thinking of?

#13 ToO_BaD

ToO_BaD

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

Which QBs with down years are you thinking of?

Well first things first. In my league (which is standard scoring) Alex Smith ranked 15th. QBs who finished behind him that I could see finishing ahead of him next season: Aaron Rodgers (pretty much a given), Joe Flacco (probably one of his worst seasons - finished ahead of Smith in 2011 when Smith played an entire season with the Niners), Eli Manning, Tannehill, RG3.

Of that list, Rodgers is probably a given to push him down a spot barring another injury. Manning and Tannehill you could say need adjustments on their teams to make it happen - but that is the same argument you are making that would make Smith a better QB next season. Tannehill actually improved from 2012, but with a better O-line and RB could have the potential for more.

In the end it is a crapshoot as to who beats out who, but for any argument that Smith could pass someone ahead of him, potentials below him could surge and keep him where he is or push him lower. We can agree to disagree but unless you play in a big league (possibly 16+) or a 2-QB league I just don't see Smith being a QB that will get you a championship. Not counting week 17, he had five games with 0 passing TDs (one of those he did have a rushing TD), and threw for less than 200 yards four times. I can't start a dink and dunk QB who would get burned even worse if not for Charles's athleticism. And again, that Oakland game was ridiculous.

Antonio Gates

#14 WhatWouldDitkaDo

WhatWouldDitkaDo

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

I agree with Rodgers, and I can see your argument for Tannehill and Eli, but I guess I just think Alex Smith has the potential to surpass both of them if Reid makes the right tweaks to their offense. Also I guess I'm in a slightly different situation since I play in a deeper 16 team league.

#15 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

I agree with Rodgers, and I can see your argument for Tannehill and Eli, but I guess I just think Alex Smith has the potential to surpass both of them if Reid makes the right tweaks to their offense. Also I guess I'm in a slightly different situation since I play in a deeper 16 team league.

Yeah 16 team league definitely more easily puts him into the QB1 conversation...but in 12/14 teamers, I just don't think Reid is going to make those tweaks where he can consistently take shots down field. As I've said, Charles is his best shot for nice weeks, and that's just not enough. It would be nice if Ried would utilize the uber-talented Bowe more with intermediate to long balls to give him a real shot at a solid QB1, but it's just not baked into his role. He's a solid reality QB and a very inhibited fantasy QB
  • WhatWouldDitkaDo likes this

#16 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

Bowe is half underutilized half not a great fit.

He blocks well which works with Reid screen games, Smith has never been a long ball guy, didn't change much this year and don't see it changing much.

Sure bowe could improve if he gets more chemistry with smith.
  • ToO_BaD likes this

#17 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

Bowe is half underutilized half not a great fit.

He blocks well which works with Reid screen games, Smith has never been a long ball guy, didn't change much this year and don't see it changing much.

Sure bowe could improve if he gets more chemistry with smith.

All Bowe needs is a top10 arm to be a top10 WR...but we'll never see it so long as he's a Chief.

#18 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

^ he was what? 2nd one year with Cassel.

Cassel isn't exactly a rocket arm.

#19 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

^ he was what? 2nd one year with Cassel.

Cassel isn't exactly a rocket arm.

I stand corrected, that's right... But you've furthered my point. he needs even less of a QB to be an awesome fantasy asset. In this scheme though it's not happening again. Cassel had the 8th most passing Tds that year anyhow...

#20 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:35 AM

yeah I drafted bowe a few times based on just that fact alone....didn't think smith could be worse then 2012 cassel and thus we would get the old bowe back. (not # 2, but at least worth his price)

I remember being thrilled whenever I traded bowe for something (don't even remember the deals now, but I remember being thrilled to have him gone. (could have drafted jordy)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users