11 replies to this topic

#1 gdon

gdon

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:19 AM

Lots has been made about Canada not being able to score but every game they've played the other team has just stuck 6 guys in the crease. Tough to score against 6 goalies every game. Canada has dominated every game. The U.S. has played well but, other than Russia, haven't played anyone tough. I think Canada takes this one 5-2 with an empty netter.

But of course I might be biased :rolleyes:

#2 briandempsey21

briandempsey21

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:38 AM

I really think US takes it. Canada hasnt played well all olympics just barely skating by and you think theyre all of a sudden going to blowout the most dominant team thus far? Nah. Ill take US in a close one 3-2!
These are my league settings its HEAD 2 HEAD POINTS format. Lineups are set twice each week!
Batting-   Pitching
-BB-(1 point)    -WALKS ISSUED-(-1 Point)
-CS-(-1point)    -BS-(-5 Points)
-HBP-(1 Point) -ER-(-1.5 Points)
-K-(-1 Point) -HIT BATSMEN-(-1 Point)
-PICKOFFS BY FIELDER-(-1 Point)     -HOLDS-(5 Points)
-RBI-(1 Point)   -K-(1 Point)
-SB-(2 Points) -OUTS-(.5 Points)
-TOTAL BASES-(1 Point)     -SAVES-(5 Points)

#3 ShivaBlaster

ShivaBlaster

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

Woo hoo! Way to Go Canada!!!!!!! Much more dominant game than the score suggests, we controlled this game from start to finish.
  • gdon likes this

#4 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,951 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

Canadas defense and Price were amazing. US team could get nohting going all game and you are right, if not for Quick playing amazing that game would have been a disaster of a blowout. Hats off to a fine Canadian team that really stepped up its defensive play when it mattered. The whole game felt like Canada was on a power play, it was wild.
  • gdon and ShivaBlaster like this
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#5 ShivaBlaster

ShivaBlaster

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

Canadas defense and Price were amazing. US team could get nohting going all game and you are right, if not for Quick playing amazing that game would have been a disaster of a blowout. Hats off to a fine Canadian team that really stepped up its defensive play when it mattered. The whole game felt like Canada was on a power play, it was wild.

Yeah, our lack of finish around the net this tournament has been really frustrating, but we have the best defense and it really showed today. That Weber-Keith pairing is simply dominant in every way. Price was fantastic today, and looked extremely calm despite some quality chances early for the USA. It feels much safer with him back there than Loungo, that's for sure!

#6 ShivaBlaster

ShivaBlaster

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

Also loving that Perry-Getlaf-Benn line, 3 BEASTS out there.......they really controlled the play for large portions of the game
  • gdon likes this

#7 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,951 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

Yeah, our lack of finish around the net this tournament has been really frustrating, but we have the best defense and it really showed today. That Weber-Keith pairing is simply dominant in every way. Price was fantastic today, and looked extremely calm despite some quality chances early for the USA. It feels much safer with him back there than Loungo, that's for sure!

There was never anyone in front of the net for the USA, it was driving me crazy watching. So much of it was, it was like every shot they got was from the short side and a bad angle so it wa s shot but not a good scoring chance. Id imagine any team Canada fan should feel better with Price back there, hes just a better goal tender. The intriguing thing for me is the Canadian refusal to play Subban (its worked so far) and the fact that St. Louis didnt play today. That they are in the gold medal game doing tha tspeaks volumes. USA hockey has come a long way of late, but its not near as deep as Canada at this point, all things in time maybe!
  • ShivaBlaster likes this

#8 gdon

gdon

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:30 PM

There was never anyone in front of the net for the USA, it was driving me crazy watching. So much of it was, it was like every shot they got was from the short side and a bad angle so it wa s shot but not a good scoring chance. Id imagine any team Canada fan should feel better with Price back there, hes just a better goal tender. The intriguing thing for me is the Canadian refusal to play Subban (its worked so far) and the fact that St. Louis didnt play today. That they are in the gold medal game doing tha tspeaks volumes. USA hockey has come a long way of late, but its not near as deep as Canada at this point, all things in time maybe!

Saw someone one Twitter compare the Canadian D to the USA D from the 96 World Cup. Housley, Leetch, Schneider, Hatcher brothers, Suter and Chelios. That was unstoppable for them. Canada's D of Keith, Weber, Bowmeester, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Vlasic is the reason Canada's in the gold. They're the reason no one was in front of the net. Don't know if I have ever seen a Canadian team with so much talent on the back end that they can sit a Norris trophy winner. So impressive.

#9 gdon

gdon

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:35 PM

My takeaways from the game. Jamie Benn is a future top ten pick someday. This guy has just elevated his game even when he was on the fourth line to start the tournament. Forced his way onto (what has become) the top line.

Ryan McDonagh is a beast. I'll take him on my team any day.

Cam Fowler looked lost. I think he's sheltered pretty well in Anaheim. Exposed against top talent (although most defencemen would be at that pace).

Interesting to see that the Bruins really did end up losing that Kessel/Seguin deal, despite all the "experts" 2 years ago .

Canada/Sweden is going to be one dull a** game. The Swedes are going to throw the trap up and take away any skating through the neutral zone. Bars are being allowed to serve alcohol here (5 am start) for the game and that may be the only way I can get through another trap-filled game.

Cheers and here's to the NHL being back soon.
  • ShivaBlaster likes this

#10 ShivaBlaster

ShivaBlaster

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:08 AM

Subban is a fantastic defenseman, but there is still a lot of risk and flash to his game and risk doesn't jive with Babcock's coaching philosophy or Canada's as a whole. If Erik Karlsson was Canadian, it would be very much the same story.....he wouldn't be given 25 minutes and freedom to roam the ice at will like he does for Sweden, that's for sure. I'm hoping Canada can take advanatge of his risk/reward style in the gold medal game.

Another reason why Subban doesn't play is because they are firm on having 3 righties and 3 lefties in their top 3 pairings. To get Subban in there, you'd have to sit Weber, Pietrangelo, or Doughty.....he's not jumping over any of those guys.

#11 ShivaBlaster

ShivaBlaster

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

My takeaways from the game. Jamie Benn is a future top ten pick someday. This guy has just elevated his game even when he was on the fourth line to start the tournament. Forced his way onto (what has become) the top line.

Ryan McDonagh is a beast. I'll take him on my team any day.

Cam Fowler looked lost. I think he's sheltered pretty well in Anaheim. Exposed against top talent (although most defencemen would be at that pace).

Interesting to see that the Bruins really did end up losing that Kessel/Seguin deal, despite all the "experts" 2 years ago .

Canada/Sweden is going to be one dull a** game. The Swedes are going to throw the trap up and take away any skating through the neutral zone. Bars are being allowed to serve alcohol here (5 am start) for the game and that may be the only way I can get through another trap-filled game.

Cheers and here's to the NHL being back soon.

Jamie Benn IS a stud.....he's a monster in my multi-cat keeper league, and I regretfully had to include him in a package for Crosby this year. Too bad, I love watching him play.....unless he's lighting up my oilers, which he likes to do.

LOVE McDonagh, have had him on my fantasy team for years for his multi-cat contributions and his potential. No one up here really talks about him because he's American and we don't see him that much, but man is he ever a great dman. Amazing skater, high hockey IQ, great passer, hard shot, blocks a pile of shots, and is now a huge part of both the PK and PP under coach V. Great to see a coach finally put him in a position to start to realize his offensive potential. The fact the Montreal traded this guy for Scott Gomez is just utterly embarrassing.

Never been a big Fowler fan/believer.

I Don't think the gold medal game will be as bad as you think. Sweden always finds a way to raise their game against us, and despite all their injuries there is plenty of skill on that team. I'm nervous about Lundvist, he's been amazing all tournament and if there's a goalie that can put up a wall for one game and pull off a miracle, it's him.

#12 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,951 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

Echoing the Jamie Benn stuff, thrilled to own him in my keeper league that jsut started up this season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users