180 replies to this topic

#1 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

Well, his measurables sure have me excited. I just received the 1.02 pick in our rookie draft. I assume Watkins goes first and Evans seems like the no brainer choice at #2 regardless of where he goes. I never watched him once in college...saw some highlights. I read he has great hands, a huge catch radius and is much faster then a man his size should be. Does this guy turn out to be a stud? Is there anyone else to even consider taking at 1.02. I know its way early and landing spots for other guys could determine...but curious. I could very well see him ending up with the Lions which would be very exciting in that pass happy offense...and he obvioulsy would receive single coverage playing along side Megatron.

#2 MeanJoeGreen

MeanJoeGreen

Just Drafted

• Probationary Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

It all depends on where he lands. I don't think his transition to the pros will be seemless. I think he will struggle with seperation in the NFL but will instantly be a red zone threat. I think he winds up with 42 rec 600 yds and 5 Tds.
  • joey0480 likes this

#3 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

Ding Ding Ding MeanJoe...aaalllll depends on where he lands.

This dude already looked like an NFL WR last year with Manziel throwing to him. His immediate fantasy value will be completely hinging on the QB situation of the team that drafts him, and how pass prone his new offense is. If he can land with a Stafford in Detroit...a Big Ben in Pittsburgh to name a few. If he gets a top10..even top12 arm throwing to him, he's on every last one of my benches next year.

He Has the immense size and knows how to go up and get the ball over his defenders. NFL defenders are a different story so there will be some type of transition, but I see it being a much shorter transition period than what we typically see from rookie WR's. I think he can have a big impact on his offense if his coaching staff allows him. Can't wait till May to see this year's draft...a bunch of rookie WR's to get excited about.

#4 ironmike128

ironmike128

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

I am fortunate enough to have 1.01 and 1.02 in my Dynasty draft and Evans definitely intrigues me. My only problem with Evans is that each day that goes by makes me think Odell Beckham (LSU WR) may be the 2nd best WR in the rookie class. Personally, I think Evans is very VJax-esque. He may not be an 80+ catch guy, but could be a perennial 72/1150/7 receiver, which is definitely worthy of the 1.02 pick IMO.
"You see a problem. I see potential."

#5 jdcraft

jdcraft

Just Drafted

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:23 AM

How is Watkins being seriously considered as a first rounder in many dynasty drafts? 4.4, 6'0 WRs are a dime a dozen in the NFL. Big WRs like Fitz, AJ Green, Megatron, Julio Jones, Jordy Nelson, D Thomas, etc are guys to get excited about in dynasty. Mike Evans fits that profile, as does Jordan Matthews, Benjamin, and Moncrief. I'd take all of them ahead of Watkins.

You can have all the Tavon Austins, DeAndre Hopkins, Kendall Wrights and AJ Jenkins that you can cart off. Go ahead and donk off a 1st rounder and then hope for 3 years that you'll approach WR2 production. 6'0, 4.4 guys are in massive over-supply in the NFL.

A 6'0 WR will have to go to a team with a great QB to be a fantasy asset; big WRs can thrive with virtually anyone throwing the ball.
  • scienergy and chiefdog10 like this

#6 Thad

Thad

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

This is a HUGE if lol but if he goes to the Rams, Bradford stays healthy, and Schottenheimer designs plays that can utilize his run after the catch abilities instead of plays where the receivers get tackled immediately by three people, he could have a Keenan Allen type year. He's got 70-1100-7 kind of upside. It all depends on where he goes.

#7 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

This is a HUGE if lol but if he goes to the Rams, Bradford stays healthy, and Schottenheimer designs plays that can utilize his run after the catch abilities instead of plays where the receivers get tackled immediately by three people, he could have a Keenan Allen type year. He's got 70-1100-7 kind of upside. It all depends on where he goes.

These things happening have slightly less than a 0% chance. Also, even a healthy Bradford sucks.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#8 Thad

Thad

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

These things happening have slightly less than a 0% chance. Also, even a healthy Bradford sucks.

The receiving corps and O-line play (and running game early on) was INCREDIBLY dysfunctional last year. In the 6 and 1/2 games in which he played, he threw 14 td's, putting him on pace for 34. He was on his way to career highs in completion %, passing yards, passing td's, and passer rating. More consistent play from the O-line, the presence of a running game (he was injured before Stacy really emerged), and better play design by Schotty can make all the difference for Bradford. But that's for another thread.

#9 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

Evans seems to have very solid speed, good hands and a huge catch radius. He certainly seems to have the potential to be special. Could be right away or may take some time depending on landing spot. I would love to see him with the Lions. I could see an immediate W2/3 value as a Lion.

#10 battle2heaven

battle2heaven

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

How is Watkins being seriously considered as a first rounder in many dynasty drafts? 4.4, 6'0 WRs are a dime a dozen in the NFL. Big WRs like Fitz, AJ Green, Megatron, Julio Jones, Jordy Nelson, D Thomas, etc are guys to get excited about in dynasty. Mike Evans fits that profile, as does Jordan Matthews, Benjamin, and Moncrief. I'd take all of them ahead of Watkins.

You can have all the Tavon Austins, DeAndre Hopkins, Kendall Wrights and AJ Jenkins that you can cart off. Go ahead and donk off a 1st rounder and then hope for 3 years that you'll approach WR2 production. 6'0, 4.4 guys are in massive over-supply in the NFL.

A 6'0 WR will have to go to a team with a great QB to be a fantasy asset; big WRs can thrive with virtually anyone throwing the ball.

This post makes me thing you've never seen Watkins play. Combine measurables are nice, but Watkins blows any wr in this draft out of the water; maybe besides Evans.

• buckeyestilidie likes this

12 Team .5 PPR

QB Andrew Luck
WR AJ Green
WR Brandon Marshall
WR Julio Jones
RB Rashad Jennings
RB Ahmad Bradshaw
TE Travis Kelce
FLX Kelvin Benjamin

Bench
Justin Hunter/Allen Robinson
Bernard Pierce/Branden Bolden/Roy Helu/Benny Cunningham
Tim Wright

#11 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

LIONS
FFB 12 Team Standard 4 Keeper lose the draft pick the keeper was taken in
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#12 jbshaw

jbshaw

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:23 PM

Physically, I like him better than anyone in the draft. 6' 4 3/4", 231 pounds with 4.5 speed, jump ball ability to rival anyone, a fierce competitive streak, and continued progression while in college have me drooling if he lands on the right team. If he lands on the lions, I'd love him in redrafts. Huge redzone potential. He averaged over 20 ypc in the SEC, so he has big play ability by the crap ton.

Ideal situation that seems realistic is him going to the Lions. With Calvin drawing coverage, and with a QB that isn't afraid to throw a jump ball, I think he'll be incredibly productive for a rookie WR. I'd also be happy with him landing on a team like the Ravens, Steelers, or Cowboys from a fantasy perspective (although I doubt they do anything besides D-line). I'd shy away from him if he lands with teams like the Vikings or Jets though, as I just wouldn't trust a QB to get him the ball consistently.

In year 1, he needs a QB who can put the ball in his catch radius that lets him jump up, get it, and fall down with a defender on him. I wouldn't expect a lot of YAC, but he's a grade A possession receiver, which can work in the right system.

Winterfell Snow Kings
12-team Dynasty-IDP League, Points Per Completion, Carry, Reception: 2 WR, 2 RB, W/R Flex, 2 DL, 3 LB, 2 CB, 2 S
Assumed starters in Red
QB: Carson Palmer, Joe Flacco
WR: Demaryius Thomas, Michael Floyd, Terrance Williams, James Jones, Kenny Stills
RB: Montee Ball, Demarco Murray, Zac Stacy, Lance Dunbar, Knile Davis, Jerick McKinnon, Lamar Miller, Lorenzo              Taliaferro
TE: Jordan Cameron, Heath Miller
K; Stephen Gostkowski
DL: Chandler Jones, Robert Quinn, Ezekial Ansah
LB: Jerod Mayo (IR), Karlos Dansby, Derrick Johnson (IR), Daryl Smith, Brandon Marshall, Josh Mauga
CB: DeAngelo Hall (IR), Byron Maxwell, Cortland Finnegan, Corey Graham
S: Barry Church, Morgan Burnett, Johnathan Cyprien

#13 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,444 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:43 AM

Does he profile as a bigger Michael Floyd?
12 Team Keeper, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pts
QB: Matthew Stafford, Carson Palmer
RB: Giovani Bernard, Eddie Lacy, Mark Ingram, Chris Ivory, Charles Sims
WR: Vincent Jackson, Roddy White, Rueben Randle, Odell Beckham, Josh Gordon
TE: Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski

#14 predator_05

predator_05

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

Does he profile as a bigger Michael Floyd?

I don't think he is as good as Floyd, doesn't get off the line as quickly and not as good a route runner.
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#15 scienergy

scienergy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:41 PM

Shhhh it's our sekret teehehe!! Except I wouldn't include Benjamin in that list. I'd replace him with Adams. There's more to the puzzle than just size but you are on the right track.

Edited by scienergy, 11 March 2014 - 10:43 PM.

#16 StuPitt

StuPitt

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

I could see Carolina trading up to take either Watkins or Evans. They dumped their entire WR core and need a good young guy to pair with Cam Newton.

12 Team Redraft PPR League (QB, 2 WR, 2 RB, TE, FLEX, K, DEF)
QB Cam Newton, Andy Dalton
RB Alfred Morris, Ahmad Bradshaw, Pierre Thomas, Matt Asiata, Knile Davis, Jerrick McKinnon, Ryan Mathews, Ronnie Hillman
WR AJ Green, Marques Colston, Terrence Williams
TE Owen Daniels
K Matt Bryant

DEF Houston

#17 jbshaw

jbshaw

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

I could see Carolina trading up to take either Watkins or Evans. They dumped their entire WR core and need a good young guy to pair with Cam Newton.

Watkins is gone top 10, Evans is gone somewhere between 9 (Bills) and 18 (Jets) if I'm remembering my draft order correctly. At least the Steelers (15), Lions(10), Rams (12 or 13) and Ravens (17) would take a long look at Evans. I don't think the Panthers want to spend the ammunition to move up that far.

Edited by jbshaw, 14 March 2014 - 03:15 PM.

Winterfell Snow Kings
12-team Dynasty-IDP League, Points Per Completion, Carry, Reception: 2 WR, 2 RB, W/R Flex, 2 DL, 3 LB, 2 CB, 2 S
Assumed starters in Red
QB: Carson Palmer, Joe Flacco
WR: Demaryius Thomas, Michael Floyd, Terrance Williams, James Jones, Kenny Stills
RB: Montee Ball, Demarco Murray, Zac Stacy, Lance Dunbar, Knile Davis, Jerick McKinnon, Lamar Miller, Lorenzo              Taliaferro
TE: Jordan Cameron, Heath Miller
K; Stephen Gostkowski
DL: Chandler Jones, Robert Quinn, Ezekial Ansah
LB: Jerod Mayo (IR), Karlos Dansby, Derrick Johnson (IR), Daryl Smith, Brandon Marshall, Josh Mauga
CB: DeAngelo Hall (IR), Byron Maxwell, Cortland Finnegan, Corey Graham
S: Barry Church, Morgan Burnett, Johnathan Cyprien

#18 GPWMC

GPWMC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

Imagine the browns take manziel at 4 and evans at 26. He won't last that long. But just imagine.

#19 @DynastyRich

@DynastyRich

Just Drafted

• Probationary Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

I really like Mike Evans a lot. He really helped out Johnny Football a lot. His size and speed will make him a nightmare for defensive backs and head coaches in the Red zone. He's pretty much going 2nd over all in all mock drafts I've seen. I just did one today and he went 2nd. I currently have him 2nd on my rookie big board, where he's been all year.

Edited by phizzics, 16 March 2014 - 12:20 AM.
Advertising is not permitted. Thanks for understanding.

#20 deuce4off

deuce4off

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:26 AM

Dude is a beast, and will be a stud in the NFL. The only concern for him was his speed, which he proved wasn't a problem at the combine. 6'5", ridiculous catch radius, great hands, mentally and physically tough, great blocker, maybe the best wr prospect ever at 50/50 balls. I'd take him 1.02 if Watkins goes 1.01.

Side note: I think the Lions take Evans at 10. They need someone else opposite Calvin. Think of both him and Calvin on the field at the same time. As a Bears fan, that scares me. He may even go earlier than 10.

Edited by deuce4off, 16 March 2014 - 04:26 AM.

I couldn't care less about your teams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users