#1 guess_wh0

guess_wh0

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

First Year fantasy player!

How do the fantasy playoffs differ from the regular fantasy season?

Is the idle strategy is to shore up your five strongest cats, because unlike the regular season you only need to win 5-4 to advance(in a 9 cat league) instead of being good in say 7 cats in the regular season?

I'm thinking of making some moves to be GREAT in 5(maybe 6 as insurance) cats instead of being DECENT in 7. What are the pros and cons of this strategy? How much do Good and experienced players alter their team, come playoff time?
12 Team 9 Cat H2H

PG Deron Williams, Michael Carter Williams, Jeff Teague,
SG Bradley Beal, Jodi Meeks, Randy Foye
SF Gordon Hayward, Terrence Ross
PF Kevin Love, Josh Smith
C Nikolo Vucevic, Andrew Bogut, Kyle O'Quinn(streamer spot)

Currently : 3rd out of 12 (87-73-2)
Trades: Gordon Hayward & JJ Redick for Thaddeus Young & Jameer Nelson

#2 Malik1544

Malik1544

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

I play in an 8 cat and I just went all in on 4 categories for the playoffs (i have the best regular season record so i own the tiebreakers) and im improving 1 more category just for insurance.
  • Andrea9281 likes this
PG Kyle Lowry
SG Jodie Meeks
SF Paul George
PF Channing Frye
C Anthony Davis
G Jeff Teague
F Kyle Korver
UTIL DJ Augustine
UTIL Ty Lawson
UTIL Mario Chalmers

Bench Corey Brewer
Bench Taj Gibson
Bench Kirk Hinrich

Record: 16-1-2
14 team, Head to Head, 8 categories

#3 taenggg

taenggg

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

Dominate all cats

Ezgame
  • JimboSlice, christian, rigadoog and 3 others like this
PG: Giannis Antetokounmpo
SG: Giannis Antetokounmpo
G: Giannis Antetokounmpo
SF: Giannis Antetokounmpo
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo
C:Giannis Antetokounmpo
F: Giannis Antetokounmpo
Util: Giannis Antetokounmpo
Bench: Giannis Antetokounmpo

#4 Ganandorf

Ganandorf

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

owning Giannis is enough to win it all

13-14 Season

12 Man Roto League

PG  Chris Paul
SG  Alec Burke
G    George Hill
F     Chris Bosh

SF   Gorden Hayward
PF   Kenneth Faried

C     Deandre Jordan

C     Gorgui Dieng
Util  Terrance Ross
Util  Draymond Green
Util  Spencer Hawes
Bch  Nick Young
Bch  Chris Copeland

#5 Andrea9281

Andrea9281

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Interests:Video games, history, geography, fantasy basketball

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

POPULAR

If you are scrambling to make tons of moves this late in the game, that's probably not a good thing. In general I prefer to build my teams around volume statistics because they are a little more dependable and much easier to stream. If you can lock up diverse categories like blks/asts/pts, I can almost guarantee that you will be able to find a way to get the other two you need to win.

Another important note in the playoffs is that you can't be afraid to start dropping some of your best players if they get hurt. If a 4th round pick or so goes down with a lingering injury in playoff time, and you have no/filled IR, you have to just drop him. A lot of teams will start resting or shutting down players with semi-serious injuries like this, and you absolutely cannot beat a playoff caliber team down one player (outside of weekly locks.)

Above all, make sure that if you're in a league that supports streaming (daily lock, 1 player acquisition per day of the matchup, no roster transaction fee, league of ~12 or fewer) that you start doing it sooner rather than later. Having as many as 16 or 17 extra games played at the end of your bench can make all the difference in the world, and too many players only start doing it at the end when 1. they have slim pickings on a per day basis and 2. they won't be able to use up all their slots.

And the reason I told you not to focus too heavily on percentages earlier is that it is basically impossible to stream players with the goal of boosting your FG% or FT%, but incredibly easy to find a guy who can give you some rebounds and a block, or a few points, or whatever. Players who are available on the WW this late in the year don't tend to have the skills to actually raise your FG%, or the volume to nudge your FT%, but somebody like Reggie Evans with his incredible rebounding has been a godsend to many categories players in previous playoff years.

Edited by Andrea9281, 03 March 2014 - 05:44 PM.

• zass17, christian, rigadoog and 7 others like this
My 2013-2014 MVPs:

Harden (highest scorer for the last two weeks of the season)
Jefferson (just a monster)
Millsap (my rock all season)
Dieng (THE add of the fantasy playoffs)

Honorable Mentions:
Ellis (solid all year)
Ibaka (solid all year)
Teague (sucked most of the season, turned it up for my playoffs)

3x Champion, 54-3 lifetime record (21-0 this season, 2-0 in the playoffs) Undefeated Champs!!!!

**33 consecutive wins 12/30/2012-4/16/2014 (Ongoing)**

Add me on Steam if you like Payday 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Call of Duty: Ghosts, or video games in general! My steam ID is Lukin96.

#6 screaming_vultures

screaming_vultures

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

What I have done and intend to do this year is to use BBM to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of my potential opponents and go from there.
  • darkyume, christian and FrancisBaconF16 like this

#7 richg24

richg24

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Dominate all cats

Ezgame

thats my strategy every year lol. and if tank anything tank fg% because there is too much variance within a week in that cat..and ignore turnovers. best advice i can give
  • hipriest69 likes this

12 Team H2H 9 Cat 

PG:  Steph Curry, Jrue Holiday, Jeremy Lin

SG:  Wes Matthews, Alec Burks

SF:  Terrence Jones, KJ McDaniels

PF:  Chris Bosh, Jared Sullinger

C:    Marc Gasol, Robin Lopez, Kelly Olynyk, Mason Plumlee

#8 Woonga24

Woonga24

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

I like cats
  • vitamintk likes this

#9 zass17

zass17

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:42 PM

Andrea9281 already summed up very well, i'll just put in some stuffs on top of my head.

Try to dominate at least half of your categories, you only need a "W" to advance. Unless you are so star-stacked, don't try to be too flashy and go for home-run each week.

Dump the percentages and TO play, they are really out of your hand, 2 misses FT from KD on Sunday may cost you the season. how about just go for accumulate stats? if 4 or 5 of pts, 3s, reb, ast, stl, blk are secured, those quality stats will become bonuses for your match.

Trade for better playoff schedule players NOW. Check BBM for comprehensive schedule grid, trade your players with less games in playoff for equal value players that has more "4"s in that grid (Hawks players anyone?). Do mind although MIA has a almost perfect 4-4-4-2 schedule, you need to consider their random resting,

That said, you need to follow news very very closely and react fast, an absent for a star player means 30+ minutes freed up for his sidekick or a completely stranger. You will kick yourself hard if your spot is wasted by your studs resting AND the other team goes for that stranger dude who post randomly god-like stats. Don't let that happened to you.

Save up moves. You will need to be flexible and well prepared in moves in the playoff matches. If all other weekdays you all have around same amount of games. Then those short games days (Tue, Thur mostly) really make differences. You will need 1. free spots for those days, 2. plenty of moves ready for those situation. Unless, you are in a league that has no limit on moves, then just make sure you have 1 or 2 expandable players each week to stay flexible.

Be ready to drop important players for a win if situation comes down to that. What's the point of keeping your star player to fight for a 3rd place of a season? Advance first, and hope that star player you dropped picked up by other losers who's fighting for 3rd place of the season.
  • christian, hipriest69, Ajax and 3 others like this
9-cats, H2H, PG/SG/SF/PF/C/U*2/BN*4
16 teams, 11 players per,

G - Bledsoe, Lawson, Collison, C Lee
F - Kawhi, Parsons, C Butler, Dunleavy, Booker

C - Sullinger, Pekovic,

#10 Sonny_D

Sonny_D

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:47 PM

It's a microcosm of the regular season. Be smart and play hard.

#11 jiiiggz

jiiiggz

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:49 PM

beat your opponent one week at a time..lol also the amount of games your players has during playoff weeks can be a huge factor.

team1: 12 team h2h yahoo standard
John Wall/Conley/Lin/Chalmers

Ariza/JR Smith

TJones/Dray Green

Faried/Horford

DMCousins/DFavors/Olynyk

team2: 12 team h2h yahoo standard
Conley/Dragic/Isiah Thomas

MattBarnes/Jarret Jack

Carmelo/Tobias Harris

Ibaka/Jared Sully/TJones

Favors/JonasVal/SamuelDalmbert

team3: 12 team h2h yahoo weekly lineups 16 roster spots:
JrueHoliday/Isiah Thomas/Jarret Jack

Kobe/ Monte Ellis

James Harden/Evan Turner

Dirk Nowitzi/Josh Mcbob/Kyle O'Quin

Rob Lopez/Greg Monroe/Andrew Bogut/ RudyGobert/ Nene

#12 darrylmontales

darrylmontales

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

beat your opponent one week at a time..lol also the amount of games your players has during playoff weeks can be a huge factor.

except they might hurt you in to and in ft/fg, i Dominate 4 cats points, rebs, assist, three but eventually losing on to and ft..
TEAM 1 18 team ULTRA Competitive League. h2h 9 category team 2nd placer
1. Melo 2. J Wall 3. Jennings 4. Walker
5. Calderon 6. Gortat 7. Afflalo 8. kelly
9. harkless 10. D Green 11. Dj agustin 12. T Ross 13. Bazemore
Team 2 12 team - 5th placer :(
G-Calderon Wade, MCW, Agustin, Rondo, Westbrook
F-LBJ, James Johnson, Harris
C- Duncan, Hibbert, De Andre Jordan, Dieng
TEAM 3 12 team weak league CHAMPION!!
G- Lawson, Oladipo, D. Williams, Lillard,
F- Stephenson, Anthony, Ariza, Green
C-Frye, Sullinger, Gibson, Marcus Morris

#13 LuN

LuN

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

I usually bench some players during the regular season like the Miami/Spurs do to rest my players in preparation for the playoffs.
  • K.Heart, The_Custodian, rigadoog and 5 others like this

#14 bobbyhurley

bobbyhurley

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:51 AM

Other people already gave some great tips, and some of these are the same/connected.

Look closely at each team you'll be playing week to week and figure out how you're going to beat them. you need to know what categories are going to be close. if you're a bbm subscriber you can plug your matchup in and do a head to head projection for that week. it should tell you what categories you're likely to win, and where you're going to lose, where it's going to be close (it also tells you what 'round value' a player will put up, taking into account their per game value x their number of games... so if you have a guy who's not a stud and who's only playing two games in some cases you might drop him). try to tailor any adds/drops around your strengths and boosting the swing category you may need to win. be prepared to change the fringe players on your team to specifically help you in that week's matchup. if you don't subscribe to bbm you'll have to work it out the old school way. you could multiply averages by games played etc (remember to omit players on days where you'll have people benched etc).

Make any necessary preliminary adds in the week BEFORE your matchup so that they count towards your pre-playoff week total. if you are behind by a couple of steals and you need to make an add on Saturday night you're going to need that roster move saved.

If they've got a significantly higher number of games during the week, you may need to consider making a move. BBM's Court Report is a weekly guide that has a list of specific players who are good adds 'for the week'. schedule strength + games played can make a big difference. if you need to stream a player, whoever's playing Philly is often a good move.

Look closely at how the matchup is going a couple of days in. if you're down is it because their schedule is a lot heavier in the early going? (in which case you may get a more true representation of the matchup the next day) or do you need to change tack? should you be giving up on a category? if you're down something like 15 blocks, that would be A LOT, and unless your team is stacked there (and they're just having a fluky day) you might want to drop your bottom rung center to stream other cats. At the same time, as much as you may need to drop the odd good player to win/progress - you're also going to need a strong team if you make it to the next round.

I find steals/threes are the easiest categories to stream. Three and D guys are a dime a dozen on the waiver wire. guys like Battier, Jordan Hamilton (not great defence in real life, but he gets steals), Martell Webster etc may be unowned and sometimes have games where they hit 3-4 three pointers and can swing a matchup.

Keep a close eye on all player news. every little bit helps.. if you can add a guy who's got great schedule AND extra opportunity then you're in luck. make notes of players likely to get more run down the stretch. Chris Anderson or Patty Mills might benefit from Bosh/Parker rest games if you know they're happening. even if you're just speculating, four games from Chris Anderson with the *possibility* of more burn might be better than three games of your worst guy.

Think about the timing of your adds so you maximise your games played, it's nice to get 5 games from a single roster spot. if you've got a guy who has no games in the second half of the week, you might wanna own him for the first half and find a guy who has games on the other days.

I agree with what's been said about having 1-2 flexible roster spots. For the most part I find that I have to be ruthless with the last 1-2 spots on the roster. This year I'm taking in a shotblocker and a three and D guy for round 1, but come round 2 I'll be getting rid of any end of the roster three point shooters because I got no chance in that category, and I know that come the finals, I should be able to find a few three point shooters to tack on (even if my original guys get picked up).

I tend to agree that you can't worry *too much* about percentages when you're adding guys... but at the same time, remember that a better matchup (and BBM schedule analysis can show this) can yield much better %s in some cases. And the other thing is if you get to the point in the matchup where you KNOW that you're going to be beaten in the volume categories of points/threes/boards/assists, then you still have a chance at winning if your team is efficient and you can find enough hustle stats. guys like Brandan Wright (if unowned) and Chris Andersen are a pretty big FG% positive (and hopefully Birdman doesn't shoot any FT), James Johnson can have these randomly big steal/block games.

most of this can be summed up as KNOW YOUR WAIVER WIRE and know your opponent. know who's got useful stats for you and who's got a good schedule.

Edited by bobbyhurley, 06 March 2014 - 05:52 AM.

• zass17, rigadoog, Ajax and 1 other like this

#15 RapsnRox

RapsnRox

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

Not just which team has the most games per week as we can all see on bbm, but rather which teams play the most games on light nba schedule days. For example, when there are 2 days in the week which only has like 4 games on each one, which teams appear on both days. I'll be examining this tonight and report back with details. If anyone else wants to report, feel free.
  • rigadoog likes this

#16 young dude

young dude

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:13 PM

Good idea, something I've stressed before (http://forums.rotowo...howtopic=430329), it'll help those who haven't done the research themselves.

The obvious choices are Mavs (by far the best with games every Tues/Thurs in Yahoo playoff semifinal/finals), Lakers (Tues/Thus in semi, Tues in final), and Trailblazers (Tues/Thurs in semi, Tues in final). Let me know what else you find. And it also depends on your playoff weeks.

Edited by young dude, 07 March 2014 - 05:18 PM.

I HIR 100% with good quality. I missed 2 HIRs but that was among the first ~100 HIRs I gave. Pretty sure I'm 100% honest since :)

If you say WHIR, I hope you honor it. I'll still help you in the future even if you don't HIR, but credit is a wonderful thing :) Although I estimate reciprocated HIR rate to me is ~50% (trending up!), I expect it to rise further as we build a more helpful community here.

#17 darkyume

darkyume

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

What I have done and intend to do this year is to use BBM to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of my potential opponents and go from there.

To be honest, I think a lot of advice here is garbage (esp the "dominate all cats" and "focus on certain cats"), and I agree more with this and the focus on winning week-to-week strategy. The important thing is to size up your opponent (BBM is useful for this) and make moves accordingly - like how good coaches make adjustments based on their opponent in a 7 game series.

If you are evenly matched with your opponent, you'll have a chess match with your available moves. You'll likely have few strong/weak categories that you are likely to win/lose, and few that could swing either way. Perhaps things don't go as expected during the week (bad shooting nights, monster nights, injuries, duds, blowouts, etc), and it'll be up to your adjustments to obtain the minimum 5-4 victory you need to move on.

If you're the underdog, maybe you'll want to gamble and focus heavily on 5-6 categories based on your opponent's strengths, seeing that spreading out your strengths to all 9 cats would get you overrun. And if you're the stronger team, you'll probably want to adjust to the underdog's strategy and do as much as possible to ensure your victory.

Also, if you are the stronger team, it is likelier that you can afford to save up available moves to prepare for the following week (e.g. adjust to your next opponent, stream in a player's 4-5 game weeks, etc). If you're confident of your victory around Fri-Sun, you can afford to save/stash resources for next week, whereas you could exhaust your moves if you're in a dogfight with your opponent.

Edited by darkyume, 07 March 2014 - 06:39 PM.

• Kobe_No_Means_No, zass17, screaming_vultures and 3 others like this

#18 hipriest69

hipriest69

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:04 AM

Andrea9281 already summed up very well, i'll just put in some stuffs on top of my head.

Try to dominate at least half of your categories, you only need a "W" to advance. Unless you are so star-stacked, don't try to be too flashy and go for home-run each week.

Dump the percentages and TO play, they are really out of your hand, 2 misses FT from KD on Sunday may cost you the season. how about just go for accumulate stats? if 4 or 5 of pts, 3s, reb, ast, stl, blk are secured, those quality stats will become bonuses for your match.

Trade for better playoff schedule players NOW. Check BBM for comprehensive schedule grid, trade your players with less games in playoff for equal value players that has more "4"s in that grid (Hawks players anyone?). Do mind although MIA has a almost perfect 4-4-4-2 schedule, you need to consider their random resting,

That said, you need to follow news very very closely and react fast, an absent for a star player means 30+ minutes freed up for his sidekick or a completely stranger. You will kick yourself hard if your spot is wasted by your studs resting AND the other team goes for that stranger dude who post randomly god-like stats. Don't let that happened to you.

Save up moves. You will need to be flexible and well prepared in moves in the playoff matches. If all other weekdays you all have around same amount of games. Then those short games days (Tue, Thur mostly) really make differences. You will need 1. free spots for those days, 2. plenty of moves ready for those situation. Unless, you are in a league that has no limit on moves, then just make sure you have 1 or 2 expandable players each week to stay flexible.

Be ready to drop important players for a win if situation comes down to that. What's the point of keeping your star player to fight for a 3rd place of a season? Advance first, and hope that star player you dropped picked up by other losers who's fighting for 3rd place of the season.

Andrea said it nicely, as you did too. this only confirms what i been tryin to say before the season, which is draft for counting stats, while considering % and TO, without getting hung up on them (this is for h2h not roto). Bricklayers shoot 60% for a few games, 85% ft shooters go 1-4 from the line...week to week its a crapshoot! Let that s--- fall where it may, and stack your counting stats. Too many idiots tryna flame me for that s---, its good to know yall know wassup

#19 hipriest69

hipriest69

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:10 AM

of course the exception is if you got a specific team build, such as punting ft, then yes you better stack and win FG and TO etc etc.

#20 guess_wh0

guess_wh0

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

Great tips Andrea, bobbyhurley and others!

Will definitely putting them to use.
12 Team 9 Cat H2H

PG Deron Williams, Michael Carter Williams, Jeff Teague,
SG Bradley Beal, Jodi Meeks, Randy Foye
SF Gordon Hayward, Terrence Ross
PF Kevin Love, Josh Smith
C Nikolo Vucevic, Andrew Bogut, Kyle O'Quinn(streamer spot)

Currently : 3rd out of 12 (87-73-2)
Trades: Gordon Hayward & JJ Redick for Thaddeus Young & Jameer Nelson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users