186 replies to this topic

#1 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

Darren Sproles was released by the Saints today (cap saving move)

Where does he go now at age 31, he still is really good, but going from the saints O to somewhere else is a downgrade 9 times out of 10.

I hate the N.O scumbags, but they might be going overboard with all the releases. A while ago it was brees holding out for top money, now graham is fighting for top money, evans and grubbs got big contracts. Seems like a mistake.

No new teams just out to me

Wish Sproles the best in 2014, but fantasy wise this is most likely bad news for him.

#2 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:50 AM

Saints have a bunch of RBs, its a smart move. They also have a lot of depth at WR, again, a smart move releasing Moore. Evans and Grubbs are elite offensive line talents, how could locking them up be a mistake?

For Sproles, it probably hurts him a lot. He could get lucky and end up on a team like the Patriots, I think he'd be great value there. But I doubt they do it with Vereen in the fold. I could see the Cowboys going after him, which would at least give us a good Murray handcuff. I also think Vikings could make sense. They are losing Gerhart so they need a backup. He'd be a great compliment to AP, and another weapon on offense, which they desperately need. Norval is the OC, coached him in San Diego, so there's a connection there.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#3 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:39 AM

^ aware me on the saints WR depth?

I saw a drastically worse wrong side of 30 coulston (that game throw away forward pass was hilariously stupid)

stills is raw and a deep threat only for now.

Meachem is a older more likely to get version of stills.

Saints rbs catch a lot of the passes....mostly sproles and thomas...one who is gone the other who they are thinking of trading.

I don't knock grubbs or evans talent......but between them, brees and graham the saints Cap is in trouble.

#4 Ohwise1

Ohwise1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

It all depends on the situation. Imagine him in Denver he'd be a monster. Then imagine him in Oakland and cry. He still has value regardless of where, just depends if he gets the volume of touches he got in Nola.

I miss him already. PPR and real world beast. A true pound for pound nfl warrior

#5 Corey In Da House

Corey In Da House

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

I'd imagine they have Khiry Robinson in mind with the release of Darren Sproles. Maybe Robinson will have a fair chance at the starting gig.

10 Team Work League Auction (3-4)

QB: Stafford, Kaepernick, Tannehil
RB: McCoy, Ellington, Crowell
WR: Dez, Ben Jammin', Flash Gordon, Landry, Watkins, Crabtree
TE: Kelce, Ertz
DEF: Patriots
K: Gostkowski

IR: Spiller

#6 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:13 PM

I saw a drastically worse wrong side of 30 coulston (that game throw away forward pass was hilariously stupid)

Saints rbs catch a lot of the passes....mostly sproles and thomas...one who is gone the other who they are thinking of trading.

I don't knock grubbs or evans talent......but between them, brees and graham the saints Cap is in trouble.

Khiry Robinson, Ingram, Cadet are fine. They will probably get a random fourth guy who is good as well,they always find RBs. But what they have is already fine. Sproles clearly declined last year.

At WR, Colston is still good (one forward pass doesn't mean he's declining severely). Stills was raw last year but he was a rookie, he should be able to improve this year. Whatever Colston gives in age Stills will give back in experience. Jimmy Graham is basically another WR. Meachem is a free agent. They could draft someone and pay less than Moore (no pun intended), and have a top 10 receiving corps pretty easily.

They need the o-line to protect Brees and jump start the run game.

#7 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

Khiry Robinson, Ingram, Cadet are fine. They will probably get a random fourth guy who is good as well,they always find RBs. But what they have is already fine. Sproles clearly declined last year.

At WR, Colston is still good (one forward pass doesn't mean he's declining severely). Stills was raw last year but he was a rookie, he should be able to improve this year. Whatever Colston gives in age Stills will give back in experience. Jimmy Graham is basically another WR. Meachem is a free agent. They could draft someone and pay less than Moore (no pun intended), and have a top 10 receiving corps pretty easily.

Khiry I can feel good about although half of it could just behe saints O and the fact no would in their right mind would load the box on brees (pretty much.....moreno)
Ingram ....meh.
Cadet.........he has done jack in the NFL....little early

Colston was noticeably worse last year to me, another year probably doesn't help. Fantasy wise he is a shell of his former self, real life he can still be useful but not like he used to be.

Still...decent roookie campaign.....doesn't really say No 1 WR for a Top O to me though.

Meachem gone....good riddance

Agree with Moore.

It all depends on the situation. Imagine him in Denver he'd be a monster. Then imagine him in Oakland and cry. He still has value regardless of where, just depends if he gets the volume of touches he got in Nola.

I miss him already. PPR and real world beast. A true pound for pound nfl warrior

Denver is still a win-now team so it could make sense. They don't exactly have tons of cap room and trindon holiday is a good return man, but peyton could dink and dunk sproles into dominace.

Oakland is rebuilding doubt they need a 31 year old special situation rb.

#8 GreatScott!

GreatScott!

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:42 AM

I'm going to guess that Sproles ends up with no one. He's on the wrong side of 30, which, unless you are Fred Jackson, is the kiss of death for RB's. He is clearly on the decline and teams will probably go younger in the draft or sign someone much, much cheaper. RB seems to be the most replaceable position out there now a days in this age of RBBC. Do I think Sproles could be useful on some team? I sure do. But I can see teams ignore him. Going into last season, McGahee was coming off a really nice year with Denver. No one signed him. He didn't get picked up until, what, game 3? Sproles is coming off a down year and was never a workhorse. Not sure he fairs better.
10 Team Redraft 1 point PPR League 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE , 1 Flex, 1 DST, 1 K

QB - Matthew Stafford
QB - Tony Romo
RB - Monte Ball
RB - Andre Ellington
RB - Reggie Bush
RB - Shane Vereen
RB - Mark Ingram
RB - Alfred Blue
RB- Tre Mason
WR - AJ Green
WR - Dez Bryant
WR - Kelvin Benjamin
WR - Marques Colston
WR - Odell Beckham Jr
TE - Jordan Cameron
D/ST - Texans
K - Chandler Catanzaro

#9 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

I'm going to guess that Sproles ends up with no one. He's on the wrong side of 30, which, unless you are Fred Jackson, is the kiss of death for RB's. He is clearly on the decline and teams will probably go younger in the draft or sign someone much, much cheaper. RB seems to be the most replaceable position out there now a days in this age of RBBC. Do I think Sproles could be useful on some team? I sure do. But I can see teams ignore him. Going into last season, McGahee was coming off a really nice year with Denver. No one signed him. He didn't get picked up until, what, game 3? Sproles is coming off a down year and was never a workhorse. Not sure he fairs better.

Someone will get him. He declined but he's still very good. McGahee was pretty much washed up, living on Peyton Manning soft boxes. Sproles is helped by Brees but most of his work is in the pass game anyway.

#10 Ohwise1

Ohwise1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

Yes he's aging and this is a young RB league but Sproles will 100% be on a team week 1. If no one bites I guarantee you saints sign him back for cheap. He's too versatile and solid at the little things. I mean he set the fricking NFL RECORD SINGLE SEASON TOTAL YARDAGE JUST 2 YEARS AGO!

#11 GreatScott!

GreatScott!

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

Yes he's aging and this is a young RB league but Sproles will 100% be on a team week 1. If no one bites I guarantee you saints sign him back for cheap. He's too versatile and solid at the little things. I mean he set the fricking NFL RECORD SINGLE SEASON TOTAL YARDAGE JUST 2 YEARS AGO!

I hear what you are saying, but I don't think any team cares that 2 years ago he set an NFL record. They aren't getting Sproles from 2 years ago. Heck, just ask the Titans about just how much can change in 2 years. CJ2K turned into CJ1K pretty quickly. Now the Titans are begging teams to take him. Again, I agree that he should be on a team, but I'm not reading a ton of reports so far about teams wanting him. The RB position is very fluid at this point in the NFL.
  • buckeyestilidie likes this
10 Team Redraft 1 point PPR League 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE , 1 Flex, 1 DST, 1 K

QB - Matthew Stafford
QB - Tony Romo
RB - Monte Ball
RB - Andre Ellington
RB - Reggie Bush
RB - Shane Vereen
RB - Mark Ingram
RB - Alfred Blue
RB- Tre Mason
WR - AJ Green
WR - Dez Bryant
WR - Kelvin Benjamin
WR - Marques Colston
WR - Odell Beckham Jr
TE - Jordan Cameron
D/ST - Texans
K - Chandler Catanzaro

#12 Ohwise1

Ohwise1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

He won't get a long term deal that's for sure, but he'll be employed no doubt

#13 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,972 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

I don't get it.

His receiving numbers were consistent over his three-year tenure with the Saints. Actually 2013 was a relatively good year for him, receiving-wise

Don't care that he averaged 4.2 ypc on 53 carries. Sample size.

Also, who cares if he's 30. He doesn't take that many hits.

They can't replace him imo, they'll just have to run an offense different from the one they ran the past three years.

#14 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:34 AM

That replaceability of RBs in this new NFL is disgusting. Wish they was a harsher word to use but that is what comes to mind. Crying shame.

#15 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,423 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:20 AM

Khiry I can feel good about although half of it could just behe saints O and the fact no would in their right mind would load the box on brees (pretty much.....moreno)
Ingram ....meh.
Cadet.........he has done jack in the NFL....little early

Colston was noticeably worse last year to me, another year probably doesn't help. Fantasy wise he is a shell of his former self, real life he can still be useful but not like he used to be.

Still...decent roookie campaign.....doesn't really say No 1 WR for a Top O to me though.

Meachem gone....good riddance

Agree with Moore.

Denver is still a win-now team so it could make sense. They don't exactly have tons of cap room and trindon holiday is a good return man, but peyton could dink and dunk sproles into dominace.

Oakland is rebuilding doubt they need a 31 year old special situation rb.

You're a little confused. Colston turned in a typical fantasy season for him. He should be able to do the same next year. Not a big fan of drafting him, but you're gonna be getting around 1000 yards and 8 TD's.

Stills looked very good in stints last year, he should get continue to improve. Moore was but a minor part of the passing attack.

Edited by Deadpool, 10 March 2014 - 01:22 AM.

12 Team Keeper, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pts
QB: Matthew Stafford, Carson Palmer
RB: Giovani Bernard, Eddie Lacy, Ben Tate, Mark Ingram
WR: Vincent Jackson, Roddy White, Odell Beckham, Rueben Randle, Josh Gordon
TE: Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski

12 Team Redraft, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pts
RB: Giovani Bernard, Alfred Morris, Ryan Mathews, Jeremy Hill
WR: Dez Bryant, Mike Wallace, Michael Crabtree, Percy Harvin, Josh Gordon
TE: Travis Kelce, Zach Ertz

#16 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:33 AM

^ he got 940 and 5

with many games where he disappeared

#17 munde53

munde53

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

I don't get it.

His receiving numbers were consistent over his three-year tenure with the Saints. Actually 2013 was a relatively good year for him, receiving-wise

Don't care that he averaged 4.2 ypc on 53 carries. Sample size.

Also, who cares if he's 30. He doesn't take that many hits.

They can't replace him imo, they'll just have to run an offense different from the one they ran the past three years.

What's there to get? He was injury plagued last year, decreased production, and Graham needs to get paid.

The move makes complete sense.

12 Team Standard Re-Draft (5-1)
QB: C Newton, C Palmer
RB: J Bell, B Tate, I Crowell, L Taliaferro, T Mason, J Randle 
WR: D Bryant, J Jones, A Brown
TE:  R Gronkowski, J Reed     K: S Hauschka     Def: New England

12 Team Auction Keeper (4-2)

QB: P Rivers, K Cousins

RB: B Tate, Z Stacy, A Bradshaw, S Vereen, I Crowell, S Vereen, A Williams, L Taliaferro, S Johnson

WR: J Nelson, K Allen, R White, V Cruz (IR), B, Tyms, J Brown

TE: A Gates     K: D Bailey     Def: New England

10 Team Standard One Keeper (2-4)
QB: M Ryan
RB: Z Stacy (17th), A Ellington, J Bell, B Tate, S Johnson, J Randle
WR: C Johnson, K Allen, R White, B Quick, R Wayne, J Hunter
TE: J Reed, N Paul     K: S Hauschka     Def: New England

#18 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

Packers should go get him cheap to mentor Franklin.

Posting without thinking it through.
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#19 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,423 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

Perfect fit on the Vikings!

Turner knows how to use him, and Vikings could use another steady veteran presence on offense.

12 Team Keeper, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pts
RB: Giovani Bernard, Eddie Lacy, Ben Tate, Mark Ingram
WR: Vincent Jackson, Roddy White, Odell Beckham, Rueben Randle, Josh Gordon
TE: Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski

12 Team Redraft, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pts
RB: Giovani Bernard, Alfred Morris, Ryan Mathews, Jeremy Hill
WR: Dez Bryant, Mike Wallace, Michael Crabtree, Percy Harvin, Josh Gordon
TE: Travis Kelce, Zach Ertz

#20 munde53

munde53

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

Perfect fit on the Vikings!

Turner knows how to use him, and Vikings could use another steady veteran presence on offense.

Huge waste of money for the defense needy Vikings. Money could be much better spent elsewhere.

12 Team Standard Re-Draft (5-1)
QB: C Newton, C Palmer
RB: J Bell, B Tate, I Crowell, L Taliaferro, T Mason, J Randle 
WR: D Bryant, J Jones, A Brown
TE:  R Gronkowski, J Reed     K: S Hauschka     Def: New England

12 Team Auction Keeper (4-2)

QB: P Rivers, K Cousins

RB: B Tate, Z Stacy, A Bradshaw, S Vereen, I Crowell, S Vereen, A Williams, L Taliaferro, S Johnson

WR: J Nelson, K Allen, R White, V Cruz (IR), B, Tyms, J Brown

TE: A Gates     K: D Bailey     Def: New England

10 Team Standard One Keeper (2-4)
QB: M Ryan
RB: Z Stacy (17th), A Ellington, J Bell, B Tate, S Johnson, J Randle
WR: C Johnson, K Allen, R White, B Quick, R Wayne, J Hunter
TE: J Reed, N Paul     K: S Hauschka     Def: New England

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users