2014 Free Agency ThreadFor all your free agency talking points
Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:15 PM
With the cap increase this offseason, I firmly expect this free agent period to be more active than last year's (which is saying a lot; the first day of free agency last year was unbelievably hectic). Rotoworld's list of the top 25 free agents (I edited out the ones that have already been franchised/re-signed) is as follows (don't take my estimated salaries too seriously; I'm not an elite NFL salary cap mind):
1. OT-Eugene Monroe (BAL) - My Prediction: Cardinals on a 5 year, $58 million deal.
2. FS-Jairus Byrd (BUF) - My Prediction: Browns on a 4 year, $37 million deal
3. OT-Jared Velheer (OAK) - My Prediction: Raiders on a 5 year, $52 million deal
4. DE-Michael Johnson (CIN) - My Prediction: Buccaneers on a 6 year, $72 million deal
5. CB-Aqib Talib (NE) - My Prediction: Patriots on a 4 year, $30 million deal
6. CB-Alterraun Verner (TEN) - My Prediction: Vikings on a 5 year, $48 million deal
7. OT-Branden Albert (KC) - My Prediction: Dolphins on a 5 year, $63 million deal
8. DE-Lamarr Houston (OAK) - My Prediction: Packers on a 6 year, $64 million deal
9. DE-Michael Bennett (SEA) - My Prediction: 49ers on a 5 year, $59 million deal
10. WR-Eric Decker (DEN) - My Prediction: Lions on a 4 year, $28 million deal
11. CB-Vontae Davis (IND) - My Prediction: Panthers on a 4 year, $36 million deal
12. DT-Henry Melton (CHI) - My Prediction: Raiders on a 5 year, $47 million deal
13. DT-Linval Joseph (NYG) - My Prediction: Bears on a 4 year, $35 million deal
14. SS-T.J. Ward (CLE) - My Prediction: Eagles on a 5 year, $47 million deal
15. CB-Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (DEN) - My Prediction: Broncos on a 5 year, $57 million deal
16. DT-Jason Hatcher (DAL) - My Prediction: Bengals on a 3 year, $29 million deal
17. OT-Anthony Collins (CIN) - My Prediction: Redskins on a 4 year, $39 million deal
18. DT-Randy Starks (MIA) - My Prediction: Patriots on a 4 year, $32 million deal
19. DE-Arthur Jones (BAL) - My Prediction: Titans on a 5 year, $42 million deal
20. CB-Walter Thurmond III (SEA) - My Prediction: Chargers on a 3 year, $19 million deal
21. DT-Paul Soliai (MIA) - My Prediction: Vikings on a 4 year, $29 million deal
22. OG-Geoff Schwartz (KC) - My Prediction: Chiefs on a 3 year, $18 million deal
23. OT-Rodger Saffold (STL) - My Prediction: Seahawks on a 4 year, $24 million deal
24. DT-B.J. Raji (GB) - My Prediction: Raiders on a 2 year, $10 million deal
25. C-Brian De La Puente (NO) - My Prediction: Colts on a 3 year, $16 million deal
These, of course, are just my opinions, and no doubt many of them will be wrong. Comment on them if you wish, but the main intention of this thread is to discuss the free agent news as it breaks and how it pertains to fantasy football. I guess I'll get the ball started with some big transactions from the past 24 hours:
--Packers re-sign CB Sam Shields to 4 year, $39 million contract
--Vikings re-sign DE Everson Griffen to 5 year, $42.5 million contract
--Jets release CB Antonio Cromartie
Let the discussing commence...
Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:35 PM
"Oh, you can't scare me, I'm stickin' to the Union!"
Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:19 PM
Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 12-Team PPR (Teamname: "Maniac Allstars"):
QB: Andrew Luck
WR1: Calvin Johnson - WR2: Torrey Smith - Bench: Josh Gordon, Chris Givens, Ryan Broyles
RB1: Mikel LeShoure - RB2: Dexter McCluster - Bench: Montario Hardesty, Kevin Smith
TE: Dennis Pitta
FLEX: Tony Gonzalez
K: Greg Zuerlein
Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:16 PM
Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:22 PM
The intention was to talk about all free agents, not just these 25. If you don't want to discuss defensive players, you don't have to, but I'm leaving the option open for others if they want. I didn't know about the other thread, but it hasn't been posted on in a while, and I wanted this to be used as a thread that discusses free agent moves as they are happening.
Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:33 PM
This is a guy who almost retired on this off season. No way he gets 5 years from anyone and that money is pretty insane for a CB. That'd be second highest paid after Revis.
Rotoworld basically said Raiders were getting Saffold.
Also that Colts are close with Vontae Davis.
Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:11 AM
Its the Raiders
Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:19 PM
Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:41 PM
Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:27 PM
I sure noticed him in my IDP league. He was awesome and came at very little cost.
I'm not sure how the Saints can afford this, but with the magic of restructuring, anything is possible. I don't think teams necessarily have to be under the salary cap at all times, but I'm also not too familiar with the rules on that so iunno.
Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:49 PM
the bonus is spread over the entire deal and it's possible his actual salary is near minimum for the first year then spikes in 2015 or something like that. it's not like his salary is 9M/year ... could be something like 1M in year 1 and then like 15M in year 3 of the deal ... NFL contracts are all about the signing bonus, the actual money/length of contract often are meaningless.
i have no idea what the figures are, but teams can get very creative to get under the cap. i'm sure byrd's year to year salaries are nowhere near identical.
Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:14 AM
Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:26 PM
Next year everyone will know he's hitting the market. All he has to do is play lights out on a good team, which should be easy for him considering he was PFF's top corner even coming off a torn ACL.
Combine that with the likely high increase in the salary cap again next year, and he's positioning himself for an absolute mega deal.
Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:46 PM
The deal also includes a 2nd year team option for $20MM which the Pats will undoubtedly decline which means Revis will not be able to be franchised as well.
C - Lucroy
1st - V-Mart
2nd - Kipnis
SS - Castro
3rd - Aramis
OF - Trout, Choo, Bautisa
UTIL - Pujols, Panda, Lind
BENCH - Mesoraco, R. Davis, Taveras
SP - Anibal, Shields, Iwakumi, Cashner, Samardzija, E. Santana, Masterson, Hudson, McHugh
RP - Soria, Doolittle, Casilla, McGee
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users