34 replies to this topic

#1 Swinger

Swinger

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:35 PM

I would love to see this cat end up in New Orleans to replace Sproles. I think this would be the best fantasy scenario for him. He would also replace the production on special teams from Sproles departure.
"The truth should be guarded by a bodyguard of lies"

Winston Churchill

#2 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:54 AM

what are they going to pay him with sandwiches from Bree's Jimmy John's franchises?

#3 ecc82

ecc82

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:19 AM

McCluster wont command as much $, but you still might be right..at this point us Saints fans should hope larry centers comes out of retirement for the vet minimum as the new 3rd down back

#4 Woonga24

Woonga24

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

Coach Whiz gets his version of Woodhead

Signed with the Titans

#5 Golden Spikes

Golden Spikes

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

is he going to qualify as a RB next season?? Might be a sneaky pick in PPR if he does. Woody carried me for a nice stretch last year
5 man keeper 5x5 Roto 10 yrs running 3x Champ

C- Weiters 1B- Goldy (k)
2b- Hill SS- Hanley (k)
3B- Beltre (k) CI- Encarnacion (k)
MI- Miller, Baez
OF- Cargo (k), Pence, Holliday
OF- Eaton, Soriano, KDavis

SP- Bumgarner, Cole, Wacha, Cashner
SP- Minor (dl), Yordanny, Archer, Ubaldo
RP- Holland, Roberston, Chapman (dl), Balfour
RP- Melancon, C.Martinez, Hoover

#6 keep it ONE hunnid

keep it ONE hunnid

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:16 AM

This guy is going to be a sleeper this year. Shonn Greene is soft and will go down with an injury.

Edited by keep it ONE hunnid, 05 April 2014 - 01:17 AM.

#7 FantasyGuru24

FantasyGuru24

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:52 AM

He's so frail tho

#8 Ol Blues

Ol Blues

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

Unclear. No CJ?K. For now Shonn Greene is lead RB with McCluster "Woodheading." But that likely will change with the draft. This backfield has committee written all over it, but McCluster may have some worthwhile play in PPR...flex?

#9 CaGamblers

CaGamblers

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

Multiple websites have McCluster listed as a WR including nfl.com and footballguys.com, but since Rotoworld has him listed as a RB, myfantasyleague.com has him listed as a RB

#10 Dreams And Dwightmares

Dreams And Dwightmares

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

Right now Yahoo has him listed exclusively at RB. I would think he'd at least get the split designation.
2014 represents the year I go back to back champion for the first time in my FF career.

#11 mmrodri

mmrodri

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:32 PM

ESPN has him as strictly a WR and they don't usually change designations...ever...

They usually seem to follow the team's depth chart and I seem to remember Whisenhunt talking about McCluster as "a Woodhead-type running back" when he was talking about running a committee down in Tennessee.

ETA: Here it is...

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said he sees newly signed Dexter McCluster as more of a running back than wide receiver.
The 5'8/170 McCluster last played running back in 2011, when he carried 114 times for 516 yards (4.52 YPC) with one touchdown. It looks like Whiz indeed wants McCluster to be his new Danny Woodhead, who rushed 106 times and caught 76 passes for the Chargers last season. "It could vary week to week," Whisenhunt said of McCluster's role. "As long as he makes a lot of plays he is going to get a lot of touches." Mar 13 - 12:43 PM

I think the updates on this should point to him being used at both positions and that should be enough to get him dual designation again.

Any chance he puts up Danny Woodhead numbers in the Titans' run-heavy offense?

Edited by mmrodri, 05 June 2014 - 05:35 PM.

• Dreams And Dwightmares likes this

#12 Ol Blues

Ol Blues

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

What to expect from this offense? RB isn't strong: Shonn The Plodder, a limited skills rookie RB who clearly was drafted to assume immediate playing time and a passing downs little guy. The OLine is reasonable. Locker supposedly is healthy and, before the initial injury in 2013 at least, showed he can play reasonably well. The coaching staff now has more creative personnel. Still, it's hard to get excited about fantasy prospects here.

McCluster may have rosterable value depending on Sankey's performance...and you can argue that both ways. The good news is that McCluster won't cost much. The bad: how much realistic upside is there? In a smaller roster redraft league I'd prefer a Lottery Ticket like Michael, C.J. Anderson, Donta Freeman, one of the Browns' rookie backs, a bet on a breakout by a young TE, or the WR3 for Chicago or Green Bay over McCluster.

#13 FFCollusion

FFCollusion

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

The bad: how much realistic upside is there?

My assumption would be a Sproles/Woodhead type of upside.
Maybe even a Vereen?

I know these are players that old school FF'ers hate, because they're non-conventional, but regardless. I'd say that was his upside.
Unfortunately the Titans offense as a whole, limits that upside a bit more than the other players/teams listed.

In PPR I could see a late round stash, but in standard I agree with Ol Blues, I'd grab a 2nd string RB with talent that int he event of an injury became 'the guy'.
I do it for the likes...

#14 mmrodri

mmrodri

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

The bad: how much realistic upside is there?

My assumption would be a Sproles/Woodhead type of upside.
Maybe even a Vereen?

I know these are players that old school FF'ers hate, because they're non-conventional, but regardless. I'd say that was his upside.
Unfortunately the Titans offense as a whole, limits that upside a bit more than the other players/teams listed.

In PPR I could see a late round stash, but in standard I agree with Ol Blues, I'd grab a 2nd string RB with talent that int he event of an injury became 'the guy'.

Totally agree. To me McCluster is a guy that I know won't be drafted in many leagues. As such, I'm watching as the season starts and if one of my lotto tickets looks to hold less promise than his upside, I 'll pick him up. Unless he starts blowing up in preseason and Whisenhunt really commits to the guy, I'm not drafting him at all.

Also, his upside is a little higher for me if I can rotate him into both of my WR and RB bye weeks rather than just one of those.

#15 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:48 AM

Wood head is an good bit sturdier and more powerful the mccluster. I like dexter but do not see his upside that high

#16 Dreams And Dwightmares

Dreams And Dwightmares

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:12 AM

What to expect from this offense? RB isn't strong: Shonn The Plodder, a limited skills rookie RB who clearly was drafted to assume immediate playing time and a passing downs little guy. The OLine is reasonable. Locker supposedly is healthy and, before the initial injury in 2013 at least, showed he can play reasonably well. The coaching staff now has more creative personnel. Still, it's hard to get excited about fantasy prospects here.

See above where I have quoted bold and red:

1. You clearly don't know who Bishop Sankey is. You should Google him and what he's done.

As far as people expecting Woodhead, I don't know if I'd hold my breath too long. Jake Locker and Phillip Rivers are not the same guy, and if you want a Woodhead role, you're going to require a QB to deliver frequent passes. This doesn't even factor in that McCluster isn't nearly as good in the open field as Woodhead. Woodhead is stronger and faster by a pretty decent margin.

I really like McCluster as a sleeper prospect this year. What I like the most about him is I don't have to wait on him to develop like a rookie either. So I snag him in the 13th/14th round and if, after 3 weeks, he's done nothing I kick him to the curb for the next best option. Rookies you end up waiting on far too long only to realize this isn't their year. I also play in PPR, in standard I likely wouldn't even consider guys like this.

As far as handcuffs, by about week 5-8 almost all of them have been dropped anyway for hot waiver adds and rarely come to fruition sitting on someone's bench all season (in my leagues), so I will never go down that path.
2014 represents the year I go back to back champion for the first time in my FF career.

#17 AshesAndLaughter

AshesAndLaughter

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:30 AM

For those interested, McCluster does have WR/RB eligibility on ESPN leagues now. Previous to their recent update, he was exclusively a WR (dumb).
  • mmrodri, herruberraschen and WhatWouldDitkaDo like this

12-team PPR; 1st in points (801.00); 1st in points against (777.9); 3-3...Fantasy Football can be so cruel.
4pt passing TDs
2 Flex Spots and no kicker:

QB: Russell Wilson
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw
RB: Shane Vereen
WR: Julio Jones
WR: Demaryius Thomas
Flex: TY Hilton
Flex: Mike Wallace
TE: Jordan Cameron
Def: Patriots

Bench:

Rashad Jennings, Jerrick McKinnon, Allen Robinson, Larry Donnell, Jonas Gray, Carlos Hyde

#18 Ol Blues

Ol Blues

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

1. You clearly don't know who Bishop Sankey is. You should Google him and what he's done.

As far as people expecting Woodhead, I don't know if I'd hold my breath too long. Jake Locker and Phillip Rivers are not the same guy, and if you want a Woodhead role, you're going to require a QB to deliver frequent passes. This doesn't even factor in that McCluster isn't nearly as good in the open field as Woodhead. Woodhead is stronger and faster by a pretty decent margin.

I really like McCluster as a sleeper prospect this year. What I like the most about him is I don't have to wait on him to develop like a rookie either. So I snag him in the 13th/14th round and if, after 3 weeks, he's done nothing I kick him to the curb for the next best option. Rookies you end up waiting on far too long only to realize this isn't their year. I also play in PPR, in standard I likely wouldn't even consider guys like this.

As far as handcuffs, by about week 5-8 almost all of them have been dropped anyway for hot waiver adds and rarely come to fruition sitting on someone's bench all season (in my leagues), so I will never go down that path.

D and D, we have had this debate before. I have no interest in a reprise. You view Sankey as a stud. I don't . Enough said.

#19 Dreams And Dwightmares

Dreams And Dwightmares

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

D and D, we have had this debate before. I have no interest in a reprise. You view Sankey as a stud. I don't . Enough said.

That's cool, but this was said almost 2 1/2 months ago. If you no interest in a reprise, why did you dig up a 2 1/2 month old post?
  • owenmills likes this

#20 dsrich

dsrich

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

Thoughts on McCluster?

Edited by phatrat, 18 August 2014 - 09:41 AM.
Removed cool story

"I am the Walrus". 10T. 0.5ppr. 2QB. 2 flex. [4-3]
QB: P.Manning, M.Ryan
RB: R.Mathews, J.Bell,
B.Sankey, L.Miller, J.Hill, J.Forsett
WR: D.Thomas, J.Jones, J.Gordon
FLEX: R.Cobb, Mi.Floyd
TE: Z.Ertz,
J. Reed
"Walter Sobchak". 10T. Standard. Return yards/pts. 2 flex. [5-2]
QB: M.Ryan
RB: F.Gore, T.Richardson,