732 replies to this topic

#721 justarotouser12

justarotouser12

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:05 PM

The end result is close, but a chunk of Gerhart's yardage came from one play in the 1st quarter, where he also fumbled the ball. After that he was pretty much non-existent. Robinson ran with more explosiveness and with consistency throughout the game.

I'm sorry, but what? 9 carries for 25 yards quantifies as explosive and consistent? The closest you can come to saying he was explosive was that he had two burst runs early on in the game for 10 yards each while Gerhart had one for 10 yards. Outside of that, both were absolutely miserable, with frequent pushbacks for a loss of yardage or breaking even with zero yards gained or lost. Saying that Shoelace looked good while Gerhart struggled or vice versa is just a downright lie. And as far as I'm concerned, neither of these backs are worthy of a roster spot until something big changes and this statement is proven otherwise. And if I'm being honest here, no I do not consider Bortles to be that big change I just mentioned. 

Brain surgery is less stressful and confusing than fantasy baseball.

#722 d96s

d96s

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:08 PM

Hopefully someone looks at his points and bites on a trade offer.

#723 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:45 PM

TD #1. There will be more. Benched this week and who knows beyond but he's a hold imo.

SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#724 screaming_vultures

screaming_vultures

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:51 PM

TD #1. There will be more. Benched this week and who knows beyond but he's a hold imo.

Atleast the offense showed life. I agree he is a HOLD but i wouldnt hold it against anyone to drop him for a hot pickup. Looks like Denard Robinson will be taking carries away and Gerhart isnt the 3 down back that he was drafted to be. 

Football - Yahoo - 10 Team Keeper(Keep 3) - H2H - PPR + 6pt Passing TDs (QB/WR/TE/RB/FLEX/FLEX/FLEX/DEF/K)

QB: Nick Foles, RG3
WR: Vincent Jackson, Michael Crabtree, Marques Colston, Terrance Williams, Josh Gordon
RB: Giovani Bernard, Shane Vereen, Toby Gerhart, CJ Spiller, Pierre Thomas
TE: Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski
K: Mason Crosby
DEF: Streaming

#725 AshesAndLaughter

AshesAndLaughter

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:18 AM

Seriously, after the fumble on the first touch of the game I wanted to just ignore the JAX@SD matchup entirely. But, that would be an emotional decision. I gotta keep track of what's going on, even if it is painful.

So, I continued to pay attention. And it slowly got better, thanks to Bortles. Actually, rather than type out how this game went, it's better to say it with a gif:

oh-no-yes.gif

Robinson 2.8 YPC made me feel a little better too.

• Mathias likes this

12-team PPR; Points Leader, and Points Against Leader; 1-2...Fantasy Football can be so cruel.
4pt passing TDs
2 Flex Spots and no kicker:

QB: Blake Bortles (Russell Wilson bye)
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw
RB: Rashad Jennings
WR: Julio Jones
WR: Roddy White
Flex: TY Hilton (trade)
Flex: Shane Vereen
TE: Larry Donnell (FA)
Def: Patriots

Bench:

QB: Russell Wilson
RBs: Toby Gerhart,  Alfred Blue (FA), Isaiah Crowell (FA)
WRs: Demaryius Thomas (bye)
TE: Jordan Cameron (trade)

#726 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,963 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:31 AM

Some people are freaking out about things like how they used a sort of I formation with Toby Gerhart at FB and Denard Robinson at RB.

This is more of a "trick" type of play than anything else.  It's the same as putting Sproles and McCoy on the field at the same time, except McCoy isn't really a guy that's going to lead-block, so when they do, it's usually with two RBs in the backfield (one on each side of the QB), or one RB in the backfield and the other in the slot.

They're not relegating Gerhart to FB, they have an ACTUAL FB on the roster for that.  You saw him when Gerhart scored that TD.

Also, on the play right before Gerhart scored his TD, they actually used the formation I'm talking about, with Gerhart at FB and Denard at tailback, in order to get Gerhart closer to the line.  They then did a quick-hitting handoff to Gerhart up the middle from the FB spot.  It almost got him into the end-zone.  Then they sent Denard to the sideline, brought the REAL FB onto the field, and let Gerhart punch it in with the REAL FB lead-blocking.

Edited by Robrain, 29 September 2014 - 08:33 AM.

2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#727 munde53

munde53

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,601 posts

Posted Today, 12:10 AM

As one of Gerhart's biggest proponents this year, I'm going to give him one more week. Pit has one of the worst run defenses in the NFL. If he can't do anything against them he's not worth rostering in anything less than a 14 team league. 

I really think the injury in week 1 was his demise.

10 Team
QB: M Ryan
RB: Z Stacy, A Ellington, J Bell, B Tate, T West, K Moreno, MJD
WR: Megatron, K Allen, R White, K Wright, R Wayne
TE: J Reed, N Paul
K: M Bryant
Def: New England

12 Team
QB: Cam
RB: T Gerhart, J Bell, B Tate, K Moreno, B Pierce, I Crowell, L Taliaferro 
WR: Dez, Julio, A Brown
TE: Gronk, J Reed

#728 undefined

undefined

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted Today, 12:15 AM

As one of Gerhart's biggest proponents this year, I'm going to give him one more week. Pit has one of the worst run defenses in the NFL. If he can't do anything against them he's not worth rostering in anything less than a 14 team league. 

I would like to stick with him, but I was able to snag Forsett and he just seems like a better play at this point.
"He could have had a much bigger game." -- words etched on Dez Bryant's tombstone.

#729 munde53

munde53

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,601 posts

Posted Today, 12:19 AM

I would like to stick with him, but I was able to snag Forsett and he just seems like a better play at this point.

There's the issue many owners will have, there simply isn't much on the WW. Forsett is a no-brainer at this point IMO for Toby but I doubt many have that option.

I had such high hopes for Toby. I was thinking he could be locked in for 80 yards and a 50% chance of a TD each week. I'm still holding out a glimmer of hope he's able to turn things around this week, but my drop finger is itching...

10 Team

12 Team

#730 CooL

CooL

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted Today, 12:25 AM

This guy had bust written all over him in the preseason yet many people blindly stuck to the "But he's a three down back who will get lots of touches" idea.  Sooner or later, if you don't have the talent, then the opportunity doesn't matter.

I think Denard getting more touches than this guy last week is a sign of things to come.

• deuce4off likes this

#731 munde53

munde53

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,601 posts

Posted Today, 12:28 AM

This guy had bust written all over him in the preseason yet many people blindly stuck to the "But he's a three down back who will get lots of touches" idea.  Sooner or later, if you don't have the talent, then the opportunity doesn't matter.

I think Denard getting more touches than this guy last week is a sign of things to come.

I mean, it's not like Mr. 2.8 YPC Denard Robinson is exactly a world beater either.

10 Team

12 Team

#732 CooL

CooL

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted Today, 12:38 AM

I mean, it's not like Mr. 2.8 YPC Denard Robinson is exactly a world beater either.

Very true.  But he takes away those 2.8 YPC from the slow footed plodder, decreasing his value even more. I say the Jags just abandon the run and let Bortles throw every down.

#733 Twolves

Twolves

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted Today, 12:53 AM

It's so depressing to think that I was dooped into this guy over my initial target of Rashad Jennings.  What an unbelievable swing that was.  At any rate I simply cannot drop the tobes unless Robinson lights it up, though I'm not confident in that happening. The best thing the Jags can do for Toby is absolutely unleash Bortles, and become a pass first team. When teams are queing in on stopping the slow footed plodder Toby it seems they can take that away with ease. Only considering dropping in my shallow 10 team standard league.

• kgizzle likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users