142 replies to this topic

#1 Willsea33

Willsea33

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:08 PM

How does he not have a thread yet? Consistent as they come for a starter.

#2 dannyusf

dannyusf

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

Wow no thread!? I got him as my SP2 this year. Last year I loved having Weaver, but injury were concerns. I feel much more comfortable pairing Shields up with my Darvish. Should see lots of Ks and innings and keep that low ERA. He will do what he does best. Just hope he can squeeze some additional wins. 15 Would be awesome!

Go Big Game James!

2013 Fantasy Baseball Champion Friends and Family League
Go Rays ! Go Orioles! Go Alex Cobb!
12 Team H2H Standard 5 Keepers
C: Posey 1B: Goldy!!! 2B: Pedroia 3B: Beltre SS: Boegarts OF: Marte, Jennings, Coco UTL: Napoli Bench: Bogaerts, Taveras, Willingham SP: Darvish, Shields, Price, Cobb, Wacha, Bailey, Peralta RP: Perkins, Britton, Mejia, Doolittle

2014 Fantasy Football 12 team .25 PPR and Return $$$
QB : Kaep WR1: A. Brown WR2 : R. Cobb WR3 : Cordarelle R B1 : McCo y RB2: B. Oliver TE: Orange Julius F lex: Andre Williams K : Str eam Def : Stream Bench : JOSH GO RDON , Boldin, F. Jackson, Andre Holmes

2014 Fantasy Football 10 team standard $$$
QB : Ka ep WR1 : A J WR2 : Ga rcon RB1 : Fo rte RB2 : CJ?K TE : Orang e Julius Flex: Percy K : Folk Def: KC
Bench: Edeleman, Maclin, Pierce, Pierre Thomas, Fred Jackson, Sproles, JOSH GORDON

#3 SpecialFNK

SpecialFNK

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

I don't remember where I was reading it, but some were predicting/projectiong a great season in his contract year.
be nice if he can get his K's back up to 2012 season.

#4 FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

I think Shields is in store for a monster year(in Shields terms).

Few things in underlying numbers show slight concern(only minor drops) - like K rate dropping, BB increases, SwStr% decreases, batted ball profile showing more loud contact, etc. But there's nothing significant - last year his ERA was rather fortunate given the underlying numbers, but Shields is also a guy that has had unfortunate ERA's indicated by underlying numbers.

I saw him Saturday in Surprise Vs a watered down Cubs lineup and he was absolutely electric. Regardless who he was facing, no one was gonna do anything. He FB worked from 92-96(and yes - mainly sat 94-95, very impressive for Shields who is a 91-93 guy), pinpoint command of everything, change was RIDICULOUS as always, cutter was filthy, curve was really tight with a nasty late break, great depth. Guy looked in great shape - I think Big Game James is looking for a Big Game Contract.

The dudes an absolute horse, I think his K's go back over 8 per 9IP, and BB go back under 2.4 per 9IP, tons of QS, and a gut feeling he'll have an outstanding year on the ratio front.

Edited by FearTheBeard, 19 March 2014 - 11:05 AM.

• Red Sox Nation and Dislimb like this

#5 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

I'm very bullish on James Shields this year. He had some signs of decline last year; he threw less strikes, walked more hitters, generated less swing and misses, gave up his highest line drive rate since 2006 (rookie season) and had the 2nd lowest ground ball rate of his career (most of this was touched upon by FearTheBeard). He's also 32, has piled up a lot of innings over the past 7 years, and had a 4.37 ERA at home last year. So why would I still be bullish?

First I'll attack that home ERA. He essentially had one horrible September start at home vs Detroit (3.2 ip, 14 runs, 10 hits). His other 15 home starts he had a 3.66 era, so no cause for concern there. His highest ERA in any month was 3.45. He had a quality start 27 out of his 34 games. Remember how his k-rate was declining? Well as the season ended he actually got stronger. Last 8 starts (7 QS)- 54 ip, 59 k. Also only 12 walks in that time frame. Also, overall on the season he had a 2.80 ERA in his 33 other starts besides the blow up vs the Tigers. He was basically Cy-young worthy for most of the year. Also, while he is 32, pitchers have shown that they can still be very effective even in their mid thirties, and with his fastball velocity still showing as much life as ever, that isn't a concern at this point. While he's racked up a ton of innings, he has only thrown a slider or curve for 14.4% of his career pitches, so for the most part he's avoided the pitches that do the worst damange to your arm.

There is a reason that there is a very minimal amount of comments in this year. People just expect Shields to do his thing. Contract year or not, if he goes out for another 33 or so starts, he's probably looking at another excellent year.
  • Code of Hammurabi, FearTheBeard and CanadianSportsJunkie like this

#6 BrowKnees

BrowKnees

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

I'm very bullish on James Shields this year. He had some signs of decline last year; he threw less strikes, walked more hitters, generated less swing and misses, gave up his highest line drive rate since 2006 (rookie season) and had the 2nd lowest ground ball rate of his career (most of this was touched upon by FearTheBeard). He's also 32, has piled up a lot of innings over the past 7 years, and had a 4.37 ERA at home last year. So why would I still be bullish?

First I'll attack that home ERA. He essentially had one horrible September start at home vs Detroit (3.2 ip, 14 runs, 10 hits). His other 15 home starts he had a 3.66 era, so no cause for concern there. His highest ERA in any month was 3.45. He had a quality start 27 out of his 34 games. Remember how his k-rate was declining? Well as the season ended he actually got stronger. Last 8 starts (7 QS)- 54 ip, 59 k. Also only 12 walks in that time frame. Also, overall on the season he had a 2.80 ERA in his 33 other starts besides the blow up vs the Tigers. He was basically Cy-young worthy for most of the year. Also, while he is 32, pitchers have shown that they can still be very effective even in their mid thirties, and with his fastball velocity still showing as much life as ever, that isn't a concern at this point. While he's racked up a ton of innings, he has only thrown a slider or curve for 14.4% of his career pitches, so for the most part he's avoided the pitches that do the worst damange to your arm.

There is a reason that there is a very minimal amount of comments in this year. People just expect Shields to do his thing. Contract year or not, if he goes out for another 33 or so starts, he's probably looking at another excellent year.

Note to self, avoid starting pitchers against the tigers
Bledsoe #1

#7 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

Note to self, avoid starting pitchers against the tigers

Haha well in theory for most pitchers yes, but your aces you should generally pitch vs whoever.

Shields had 5 starts vs Detroit last year. His 4 starts besides the blow up were all quality starts, and he only gave up 8 earned runs in 29 innings, which was good for a 2.48 era. This includes 15 innings, only 3 runs while pitching AT Detroit. He dominated in road games at Boston and Texas as well. Shields is a strong fantasy #2, and a real life ace. Non-benchable vs anyone imo.

#8 An Old Hippie

An Old Hippie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

I think Shields is one of the better sleeper type pitchers this year. You don't expect much with him pitching for KC but he put up very good numbers last year. He is just fairly consistent year to year it seems.

#9 det_tigers

det_tigers

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

So many unearned runs!

Snake 6th pick - H2H 14 Teamer - 9 Cat (%FG - %FT - 3PM - PTS - REB - AST - STL - BLK - TO)

PG: J.Holiday - V.Oladipo - M.Williams 

SG: J.Harden - C.Lee

SF: T.Ariza - G.Antetokounmpo - D.Green (GSW)

PF: C.Bosh - E.Davis

C: M.Gasol - D.Jordan - M.Gortat

Snake 8th pick - H2H 16 Teamer - 9 Cat (%FG - %FT - 3PM - PTS - REB - AST - STL - BLK - TO)

PG: R.Westbrook - I.Thomas - R.Jackson

SG: E.Bledsoe - B.Beal

SF: N.Batum - D.Green (GSW)

PF: D.Nowitzki - R.Anderson

C: P.Gasol - K.Olynyk - E.Davis - A.Len

Auction -  H2H 12 Teamer - 9 Cat (%FG - %FT - 3PM - PTS - REB - AST - STL - BLK - TO)

PG: T.Parker - B.Jennings

SG: D.Wade - K.Martin - J.Johnson

SF: K.Leonard - C.Parsons - L.Deng

PF: D.Nowitzki - M.Morris - T.Jones

C: B.Lopez -  D.Favors

#10 mcbane

mcbane

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

So many unearned runs!

Much suck. Many balls. Very frustrate. So gas can. Wow.
12 Teams - Dynasty - No Minors
All the Categories

C Mesorock / 1B The Rzo / 2B Rendon / 3B Machado / SS Mookie
IF Joey Bats / LF C-Dick / CF Viva Puig / RF J-Up / Util Cirque Du Soler

BN Walker / Chisenhall / Pompey / Wilmer/ Correa

SP Teheran / Arrieta / Iwakuma / Collmenter / Quintana / Bradley
RP Cpt K / Feliz Navidad / K Giles Band

#11 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,350 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:15 PM

Well and then there's the final kick to the groin when he was actually eligible for a QS but gets pulled at 5.2.

I know he had 115 pitches - I agree with the decision but it just figures in the context of this start.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#12 Lishdaddy

Lishdaddy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:26 PM

Guy got slammed in the first inning. A home run and 3 hard hit ball outs. 2nd inning, he couldn't find the plate. The ones that did, the batters blooped in or the defense (including an error on himself) was atrocious. The only really hard hit ball was Mauers bomb. The next 3 2/3 innings he settled down and turned in a pretty good outing considering. I wouldn't sweat it. he will be fine next start, just one of those games.
10 Team yahoo

QB - Colin Kaepernick
WR- Calvin Johnson
WR - Randall Cobb
WR - Cordarrelle Patterson
RB - Monte Ball
RB - Doug Martin
TE - Delanie Walker
Flex - Shane Vereen
Kicker -
Def. - Cincinnati
bn - Joique Bell
bn - Ben Tate
bn - Josh Gordon
bn - Jay Cutler
bn - Kelvin Benjamin

#13 SpecialFNK

SpecialFNK

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

according to rotoworld he was all over the place, and he gave up 6 hits. OMG no way, 6 hits! :o :rolleyes:

#14 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:43 PM

BIG GAME JAMES!!!

#15 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,350 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:49 PM

Honored to make the 15th post in this thread. Gem for the ages - as expected - registered @ HOU tonight.
  • Code of Hammurabi likes this
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#16 CanadianSportsJunkie

CanadianSportsJunkie

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Interests:Sports

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

Quiet beast. Work horse. Underrated.

20 Team Keeper - Keep 4 - FGM, FT%, 3PTM, PTS, REB, AST, ST, BLK, TO

PG - John Wall

SG - Goran Dragic

SF - Trevor Ariza

PF - LaMarcus Alridge

C - Nikola Pekovic

UTIL - Gerald Green

BN - John Henson, Doug McDermott, Samuel Dalembert, Marco Belinelli

12 Team Keeper - Keep 8 - G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, BLK -  GOALIES -  W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO

Starting Roster - 3 C - 3 LW - 3 RW - 1 W, 1 F, 4 D and 2 G

C - Steven Stamkos, David Krejci, Tyler Bozak

LW - Gabriel Landeskog, Tomas Tatar, Jiri Hudler

RW - Corey Perry, Tommy Wingels, Joel Ward

F- Loui Eriksson, Antoine Vermette, Mike Hoffman, Shane Doan

D - Niklas Kronwall, Mark Giordano, Alex Goligoski, Anton Stralman, Aaron Ekblad

IR - Jordan Staal

G - Corey Crawford, Mike Smith, Roberto Luongo, James Reimer

#17 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

Just a stud. It seems like I get him as my SP3 every season.

#18 dannyusf

dannyusf

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Wow, if you got him as a SP3 then thats awesome! I think he is an excellent SP2!

I love you James Shields, we miss you here in Tampa Bay

2013 Fantasy Baseball Champion Friends and Family League
Go Rays ! Go Orioles! Go Alex Cobb!
12 Team H2H Standard 5 Keepers
C: Posey 1B: Goldy!!! 2B: Pedroia 3B: Beltre SS: Boegarts OF: Marte, Jennings, Coco UTL: Napoli Bench: Bogaerts, Taveras, Willingham SP: Darvish, Shields, Price, Cobb, Wacha, Bailey, Peralta RP: Perkins, Britton, Mejia, Doolittle

2014 Fantasy Football 12 team .25 PPR and Return $$$
QB : Kaep WR1: A. Brown WR2 : R. Cobb WR3 : Cordarelle R B1 : McCo y RB2: B. Oliver TE: Orange Julius F lex: Andre Williams K : Str eam Def : Stream Bench : JOSH GO RDON , Boldin, F. Jackson, Andre Holmes

2014 Fantasy Football 10 team standard $$$
QB : Ka ep WR1 : A J WR2 : Ga rcon RB1 : Fo rte RB2 : CJ?K TE : Orang e Julius Flex: Percy K : Folk Def: KC
Bench: Edeleman, Maclin, Pierce, Pierre Thomas, Fred Jackson, Sproles, JOSH GORDON

#19 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:49 PM

Anyone else concerned with his start v the Rockies? Rockies bats been a top 10 unit on the road and now get to add a DH. Probably firing him out there but a little hesitant, his record in Interleague is none to stellar either.

#20 posty

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,070 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:54 PM

Anyone else concerned with his start v the Rockies? Rockies bats been a top 10 unit on the road and now get to add a DH. Probably firing him out there but a little hesitant, his record in Interleague is none to stellar either.

No...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users