Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Sergio Santos 2014 OutlookCould open year as Jays CL if Janssen isn't ready (or be next in l

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 Milk Me

Milk Me

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Interests:Bein' Ada Allin!

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:10 AM

Everyone remembers the Jays reacquiring Santos after being converted succesfully and bred into a CL role by the ChiSox 2-3 yrs back before being dealt to the Jays, only to get hurt immediately after he had tossed 5 or 6 innings in 2012 (at most) after opening the yr as CL. Enter Casey Janssen.
Then last year I know he went on to have a shortened, but very nice season (whether it being due to recovery time or another injury- I don't remember quite honestly, but do remember he didn't put in a full year by any means), with having just about 30 innings to work with (or less?) and still managing a nice rebound season season as mid-late innings inning option IIRC, and he even had a handful of holds maybe, too; but his great ratios was the most encouraging thing that stood out once he was healthy. I have heard he's hitting 95 w/ regularity this spring or higher, but am unsure if I can find and cite that source again (link expired). If anyone can, I'd appreciate that..

--
Anyway, he hasn't pitched a lot this year, but that may be to keep him healthy- or he may have thrown more since the last RW update.. he was dealing with an intestinal issue or flu or something, but threw on the 14th according to the last RW update (scoreless inning in a GF league game, his 2nd pitched only due to the intestinal issues that kept him out of action).

If he has been pitching all the while since and is catching up or can catch up by the time the season kicks off, despite this being one of the seasons his salary is quite low before he becomes a natural buyout candidate unless they feel like going year-to-year or dealing him (should he have a crazy year or something, since the option buyouts are on a year-to-year basis and remain at 750k per season, with his salary only increasing each of the next 3 seasons i *think*).

I would gamble on the chance Janssen may not be ready for opening day, even though we all saw this same charade last spring and he was a top closer either way. That said, Santos was signed and brought over to close and if they have a chance to put him there, i think he's next in line for sure now that he is healthy. He also did have some really nice stats least season in time when healthy or once back, whichever was the case. Even if Janssen begins the yr just fine & in the CL role, Santos SHOULD be next in line in instance of injury (unless he goes down- again- which is why these buyouts are there I'm guessing.. good looking out by the Jays on that one*).... and if he begins the year in the role, who's to  say what winds up happening? Everyone still brings up Janseen and how he isn't the "prototypical closer" or whatever in spite of his success in recent years... or people were talking about it on the forums over the off-season still. Maybe he resumes setting up, at least for a year. Doesn't hurt the Jays can go year-to-year on the same price for the buyout and next year is the cheapest salary of his final 3 seasons, he would earn if kept, I believe. Maybe showcase him for a July trade?.... if he takes the job & runs anyhow.

anyway, eyeball Santos in your drafts- $1 pick and could be the CL to begin the yr while Janssen is going to be valued much higher and may wind up on the DL to start off, who knows..... as said- this is how he handled s/t last spring as well, but there's always the chance he doesn't make it in time for opening day and is legitimately having some issues. Definitely file Santos' name away. I was surprised no one has spoken of him or made a thread yet unless the search kept missing it?

Edited by Milk Me, 20 March 2014 - 01:15 AM.

Sometimes I'll spend 6 hours in one day watching Fraiser. (Subtract the 6 or 7+ minutes per commercials with dying babies and dogs to sponsor through mail that airs after- and in between episodes- and it's more like 5 hours, but I watch Cheers sometimes too.)  I also am a Cubs fan of 25+ years. Needless to say, I'm (obviously) terminally (and mentally?) ill. :-)

My team will be here again soon. I've learned how to use a Twiatter account, and even "follow" Matt Vasgersian now! If I could really follow him, I'd catch him in COL at a Rox game and smoke with that mofo over some funnel cake.

~Juan Encarnacion's #1 fan!~

#2 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:08 AM

You forgot his favorite color and list of childhood fears in the thread title.

#3 accobra_kid

accobra_kid

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:13 AM

View PostMilk Me, on 20 March 2014 - 01:10 AM, said:

I would gamble on the chance Janssen may not be ready for opening day

Santos SHOULD be next in line in instance of injury

Great post.  I've highlighted the two key points.

Janssen has been excellent as the Jays closer over the last two years, he will start the year in that role if he's healthy and in game shape.  That's the big issue right now, is that last I checked, he hasn't pitched in a spring training game yet.

You said Santos SHOULD be next in line.  Instead, you should've said Santos IS next in line.  People who don't watch the Jays could get deceived by things like Delabar and Cecil making the All-Star team last year.  They, as well as guys like Neil Wagner, are behind Santos on the depth chart.  

He has closer stuff, and he's next in line, but he's going to need something to happen to Janssen first.  Stash him in deeper (14+ team) leagues, he should be a top handcuff this year.

#4 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,570 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

Love Sergio Santos this year.
Hate the RW Sergio Santos Thread title.

#5 WahooManiac

WahooManiac

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  • Interests:Beating everyone

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

Seriously, compose your thoughts. Good points in here buy holy cow, it's War and Peace
Good pitching will beat good hitting anytime, and vice versa.  -Bob Veale

We're reaching the pt where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life.  Take your pick.  -Thomas Boswell

#6 IlliniGuy76

IlliniGuy76

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

Sergio Santos to start the season as the closer in Toronto as Jannsen went on the DL.
Harry Caray, 1984 Cubs locker room celebration, "And here we are!  I hope we get loaded tonight!"
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FcQAlsjxqw

League 1:  10 team, 6 keepers, H2H cumulative categories. 2013 Championship Winner
Offensive categories: R, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, BA
Pitching categories:  W, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP, QB, BSV
C: Ramos  1b: Teixiera 2b: Harrison SS:  Escobar 3b: Carpenter  INF: Votto OF: Morse, McCutcheon, Kemp, Gomez UTIL:  Betts BN:  Segura, Solarte

SP: Arrieta, Stroman, Ventura, Kuechel, Kluber, Gio, Chavez, Peralta, Morton RP: Rosenthal, Rodney, Hawkins, Howell, Joba DL:  Fernandez, Wacha

League 2:  12 teams, 6 keepers, H2H - one win, 2013 Championship Winner
Offensive categories:  R, HR, RBI, SB, BA, OPS, H
Pitching categories:  W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, TB
C:  Rosario 1b: Davis 2b:  Pedroia, SS:  Castro 3b: Frazier  OF:  Gomez, G. Stanton, Billy Hamilton UTIL: Adams, Calhoun BN: Gennett, Alvarez, Parra  DL:  Pollock, Morneau

SP:  Bum, Kluber, Ross, Archer, Stroman, Latos, Peralta, Kelly RP: KRod, Cishek, Casilla MIN:  Appel DL:  Garcia, Harrison, Lindstrom

#7 UberRebel

UberRebel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

View PostIlliniGuy76, on 30 March 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

Sergio Santos to start the season as the closer in Toronto as Jannsen went on the DL.

Just added him. Thanks for the intel brother. Here's hoping he can take it and run with it.
10 TEAM 7x7 (HR, RBI, R, SB, AVG, BB, OPS) (W, L, ERA, SV, K, BB, WHIP)

C - Mauer (DL) - Castro temp
1B - Rizzo
2B - Cano
SS - Dee Gordon
3B - Encarnacion
OF - Choo
OF - Holliday
OF - Nelson Cruz
Util - Abreu

Bench: Votto (DL), Crisp

SP - Scherzer
SP - Price
RP - Perkins, McGee, Allen, Mejia

Bench : Hamels, Cain

#8 countseth

countseth

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

Glad I drafted him in most my leagues. I'll take a good middle reliever over a mediocre starter any day.

#9 LIONS FAN-dsn

LIONS FAN-dsn

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

This was the post that get me Santos.  I'd buy you a beer if I could.
14 Team H2H Redraft League

C- Carlos Santana
1B- Anthony Rizzo
2B- Brian Dozier
3B- Chase Headley
SS- Troy Tulowitzki
OF- Shin-Soo Choo
OF- Billy Hamilton
OF- Jose Bautista
Util- Gregor Polanco

Bench: Mookie Betts, Brandon Belt, Edwin Encarnacion-DL

SP: Julio Teheran, Corey Kluber, Dallas Keuchel, Gio Gonzalez, Jesse Hahn, Jimmy Nelson

RP: David Robertson, Mark Melancon, Jenry Mejia

#10 Backdoor Slider

Backdoor Slider

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,103 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostLIONS FAN&#045;dsn, on 30 March 2014 - 03:40 PM, said:

Until Delebar is named :lol:?

Look, it's likely Santos. But nothing's been confirmed yet. We need to be careful how we word things.

Edited by Backdoor Slider, 30 March 2014 - 03:59 PM.

**Poster Formerly Known as 2Balls

Keep up to 7 (Lose round per keeper):

Goldschmidt
JFernandez
Bryce
Kipnis
CGomez
--------------
TFrazier
Teheran
Pence
CSantana
CHamels
DMesoraco
Betts

#11 dod959

dod959

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

View PostBackdoor Slider, on 30 March 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

Look, it's likely Santos. But nothing's been confirmed yet. We need to be careful how we word things.

GM Alex Anthopoulos confirmed that Sergio Santos will be the Blue Jays closer during Casey Janssen's absence.

#12 Phina11y

Phina11y

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

View PostBackdoor Slider, on 30 March 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos confirmed Sunday that Sergio Santos will serve as the team's closer while Casey Janssen is sidelined.

Fantasy owners who came up short on saves during drafts should rush to the waiver wire or rev up those FAAB engines, as Santos has the ability and opportunity to run away with this job. He posted a 1.75 ERA, 0.58 WHIP and 28/4 K/BB ratio over 25 2/3 innings with the Jays in 2013.

12 Team Yahoo $ H2H  Daily MLB Redraft League 5th Place (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, QS)
C D. Mesoraco
1B A. Gonzalez
2B M. Carpenter
3B T. Frazier
SS J. Rollins
OF M. Trout
OF J. Upton
OF M. Morse
Util J. Morneau, K. Davis
SP S. Strasburg, G. Richards, E. Santana, Y. Ventura, Y. Gallardo, D. Smyly, M. Stroman, K. Gausman, J. Hahn
RP G. Holland, H. Rondon, C. Allen, M. Melancon, D. Betances

NA J. Nelson
DL M. Pineda, D. Pomeranz
RIP J. Fernandez, M. Harvey

#13 Backdoor Slider

Backdoor Slider

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,103 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

Got it. Saw it late. Seemed speculation at first. Thanks. My fault.
**Poster Formerly Known as 2Balls

Keep up to 7 (Lose round per keeper):

Goldschmidt
JFernandez
Bryce
Kipnis
CGomez
--------------
TFrazier
Teheran
Pence
CSantana
CHamels
DMesoraco
Betts

#14 GretzGretzky

GretzGretzky

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

If Janssen comes back healthy would they take the job away from him? I'd doubt it.

#15 dod959

dod959

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

View PostGretzGretzky, on 30 March 2014 - 06:49 PM, said:

If Janssen comes back healthy would they take the job away from him? I'd doubt it.

Janssen is probably going to miss 14 days. Santos would be lucky to get 4 save opportunities in that time span. To take away Janssen's job because Santos saved something like 4 games would be HILARIOUS.

#16 k.k.

k.k.

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:01 PM

View Postdod959, on 30 March 2014 - 06:51 PM, said:

Janssen is probably going to miss 14 days. Santos would be lucky to get 4 save opportunities in that time span. To take away Janssen's job because Santos saved something like 4 games would be HILARIOUS.

Exactly. It's going to take more than a short DL stint for Janssen to lose his job. Santos is a short-term add only at this point.

#17 An Old Hippie

An Old Hippie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

View Postk.k., on 30 March 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

Exactly. It's going to take more than a short DL stint for Janssen to lose his job. Santos is a short-term add only at this point.

And if after the 15 days and it gets switched to 30 days on the D/L then you can say well it is only a short term till he comes back.

Not saying it will happen that way. But looking back at Cory Hart was supposed to be back the 2nd week, end of the month, by the ASB, and so forth. Next thing you know he is playing for SEA this year and never played last year.

#18 dod959

dod959

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

View PostAn Old Hippie, on 30 March 2014 - 07:06 PM, said:

And if after the 15 days and it gets switched to 30 days on the D/L then you can say well it is only a short term till he comes back.

Not saying it will happen that way. But looking back at Cory Hart was supposed to be back the 2nd week, end of the month, by the ASB, and so forth. Next thing you know he is playing for SEA this year and never played last year.

Obviously if Janssen is hurt and unable to pitch, Santos will keep the job. Don't think that needs to be said.

#19 An Old Hippie

An Old Hippie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

View Postdod959, on 30 March 2014 - 07:12 PM, said:

View PostAn Old Hippie, on 30 March 2014 - 07:06 PM, said:

Obviously if Janssen is hurt and unable to pitch, Santos will keep the job. Don't think that needs to be said.

Was really saying that with any injury you can't say that the player will come back in the specified time. If Jannsen doesn't comeback you missed Santos with that mind set. If Santos gets 9 saves in the next two weeks, 1. he would keep the job and 2. You missed out on Santos again. Even if Santos only gets 4 saves it is four saves you missed which might or might not turn out to be big

You have to take the player that has the job over someone on the injury list.

#20 dod959

dod959

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

I'm not saying not to pick up Santos. Just responding to people who think he's going to keep the job after like 5 innings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users