10 replies to this topic

#1 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

Yesterday it seemed like he was the favorite to lead off for the Twins due to thoroughly outplaying Alex Presley, Today he has a 4 hit game. Took him as a flyer in a really deep league last night.

He did have an awesome spring last year and did nothing, but he's an interesting power/speed 24 year old.

Edited by brockpapersizer, 20 March 2014 - 10:28 PM.

FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#2 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

Still feel like this player is great to take a flyer on in deep mixed leagues, def AL only. He's a 5 tool prospect who looks like he's batting leadoff.

Perfect guy to round out a deeper bench and cut if he's striking out a ton after 2 games and pick up someone hot. Always had a good walk rate in the minors (except last year after he got sent down). Had a 78% contact rate last year in the bigs, which is not good for your leadoff guy at all, but honestly considering how bad he was, I'm kind of surprised it was that high.

He's 24, still developing. Probably learned a lot from his flop last year.

Projection: BUST
Upside: 90 Runs, 10-15 HR, 30 steals, 260ish average.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/247178611.html

Almost every leadoff guy on all 30 teams is owned right now. Literally the only ones I wouldn't take Hicks over are Dejesus (TB) and Furcal (Miia), and honestly if Furcal has a hot week 1, he's going to get picked up by a lot of people. (it's happened)

I'd go Sizemore and Dickerson over Hicks, but not by a ton. If you missed out on those guys late in a draft or on free agency, Id give Hicks a one week audition on your bench.
  • Fenam likes this

#3 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

I'll just keep talking to myself.

Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said on Sunday that Aaron Hicks will "probably" be Minnesota's starter center fielder.

"Hicksie is probably going to be in center," he said. "He's running the ball down pretty good." On Wednesday, Twins assistant general manager Rob Antony expressed irritation with both Hicks and Alex Pressley for not stepping up to seize the center field competition during spring training. Whether there was a correlation or not, Hicks spent the past few days destroying the ball, impressing with his defensive range, and perhaps running away with the CF job for good. At least, that is, until Byron Buxton arrives in the Twin Cities.

• AnonymousRob and Choo on Wieters like this

#4 umphrey

umphrey

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

I had him last year but I don't really want to roster one of the worst hitters in baseball again this year. I'll keep him on my watch list in my OBP league though.

#5 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,465 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

He's got some tools, but people are probably a little scared. After all, he only hit .192 last year with an OPS of .597 in half a season. Didn't do much better in AAA last year.

Drew Stubbs might be his upside, and that is a scary thought.

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me

That I live and you are gone.

There's a grief that can't be spoken.

There's a pain goes on and on.

#6 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

Was kinda hoping I could just keep posting here by myself.

He's got some tools, but people are probably a little scared. After all, he only hit .192 last year with an OPS of .597 in half a season. Didn't do much better in AAA last year.

Drew Stubbs might be his upside, and that is a scary thought.

Dont think he has the power, but Stubbs in 10/11 was a pretty good fantasy player.

I think people are scared off by last year's start and Buxton, but like Hicks cost nothing and dont you have to start him right away.

#7 An Old Hippie

An Old Hippie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:14 PM

I always thought that when Buxton comes up that, if Hicks makes good on his potential, Willingham becomes expendable with him moving to left field. Could give the Twins the start of a great of. Lot of ifs in that though

I still like Hicks a lot but justify not enough yet to add him to my dynasty teams

#8 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

I always thought that when Buxton comes up that, if Hicks makes good on his potential, Willingham becomes expendable with him moving to left field. Could give the Twins the start of a great of. Lot of ifs in that though

I still like Hicks a lot but justify not enough yet to add him to my dynasty teams

He's my Collin Cowgill of this year. I expect Hicks to be good for one week and get some buzz and then fail. But it's worth the shot for me.

Edited by The Harsh, 23 March 2014 - 05:28 PM.
Removed BC content.

#9 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

Only a matter of time before he's batting leadoff.

#10 SpecialFNK

SpecialFNK

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

going into last year I remember reading this guy was this big sleeper. in the minors the season before he had 13 HR and 32 SB.
but while he had good BB% he also had bad K% along with a bad/OK AVG in the minors. so can he really hit well enough to get to the leadoff spot and hold it? or maybe he is someone to sell high on?

#11 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:52 PM

FYI for those of you in deeper leagues, AL only or what not.

Hicks has scrapped switch hitting. He will no longer hit from the left side.

He is a career .179 and .149 this year from the left side.

Now his career as RHH isn't anything special. .227 and .263 this year. But its something to keep an eye on and see if anything clicks..

He went 2-4 tonight with 2Ks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users