Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

New Orleans Saints 2014 Offseason Threadno more sproles, defense improved enough?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 RMJ_12

RMJ_12

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

Is Jimmy Graham, an aging Colston, and a young Kenny Stills enough for Brees?  No more Sproles could be a little bit of a problem for him if they can't succeed in the running game.  I personally think they should have gone after Decker and actually tried to make a run while they still have Drew Brees, he's not much younger than Peyton.

What about the defense?  Adding Jarius Byrd is a good move I think.  Do they have the corners though?

#2 Shabba Rankz

Shabba Rankz

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

RMJ_12, on 23 March 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:

Is Jimmy Graham, an aging Colston, and a young Kenny Stills enough for Brees?  No more Sproles could be a little bit of a problem for him if they can't succeed in the running game.  I personally think they should have gone after Decker and actually tried to make a run while they still have Drew Brees, he's not much younger than Peyton.

What about the defense?  Adding Jarius Byrd is a good move I think.  Do they have the corners though?

Saints have cap problems. They were lucky enough to get Byrd with a low cap number this year. but next year his number increases a lot. Decker was never an option.

Keenan Lewis is a top 5 cb in the league imo but the Saints have a hole in the other spot. Looks like they will draft a CB or maybe they trust Patrick Robinson and Corey White.

I wish they would take a shot at Kenny Britt. I heard they were looking at Sidney Rice.
$100 12 Team PPR 4th pick

QB: D.Brees
RB1: E.Lacy
RB2: P.Thomas
WR1: A.Brown
WR2: E.Sanders
TE:.J.Reed
RB/WR: J.Edelman
WR/TE: M.Colston
Team D/ST: Bengals
Bench: F.Jackson/B.Pierce/J.Gordon/Z.Ertz/ J.Starks/T.Wright

#3 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Interests:The Ohio State University, fantasy football junkie, baseball

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Shabba Rankz, on 24 March 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

RMJ_12, on 23 March 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:

Saints have cap problems. They were lucky enough to get Byrd with a low cap number this year. but next year his number increases a lot. Decker was never an option.

Keenan Lewis is a top 5 cb in the league imo but the Saints have a hole in the other spot. Looks like they will draft a CB or maybe they trust Patrick Robinson and Corey White.

I wish they would take a shot at Kenny Britt. I heard they were looking at Sidney Rice.
Kenny Britt would certainly make things a lot easier for Brees. Between him, Graham, and Stills I think that's enough. Colston is nothing more then a possession guy. Barely.
* 4 straight superbowl appearances
* 2 super bowl victories

2014 Jeremy Top Dustan Bottoms
QB:Luck
RB:Lacy
RB:Bell
WR:Bryant
WR:Cobb
WR:Fitz
TE:Reed
K:Walsh
D:Cardinals
Flex:Ellington
Bench:Floyd, Decker, Vereen, Wayne, Cooper, Wright

#4 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

Thomas > Sproles last year. Losing him really doesn't hurt the Saints.
10 Team
QB: M Ryan, T Romo
RB: Z Stacy, A Ellington, J Bell, B Tate, T West, B Cunningham
WR: Megatron, K Allen, R White, K Wright, R Wayne
TE: J Reed, L Green
K: M Bryant
Def: New England

#5 Ohwise1

Ohwise1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:32 PM

Drafting at least one WR this year, likely in the top 3 rounds. And if necessary bring back meachem. I don't think the offensive talent is an issue but the scheme may change. I think you see A LOT more running. Thinking 2011 offense with top 10 in passing and rushing

#6 GPWMC

GPWMC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

How is Khiry Robinson looking? I've heard some calls that the saints are hoping to lean towards the run this season. Makes sense in a way if you've got the right guys. Brees and graham will always keep the defence honest. Could Khiry be used as the feature guy here?

Edited by GPWMC, 27 March 2014 - 12:20 PM.

#7 munde53

munde53

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

GPWMC, on 27 March 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

How is Khiry Robinson looking? I've heard some calls that the saints are hoping to lean towards the run this season. Makes sense in a way if you've got the right guys. Brees and graham will always keep the defence honest. Could Khiry be used as the feature guy here?
They resigned Thomas, so no.
10 Team
QB: M Ryan, T Romo
RB: Z Stacy, A Ellington, J Bell, B Tate, T West, B Cunningham
WR: Megatron, K Allen, R White, K Wright, R Wayne
TE: J Reed, L Green
K: M Bryant
Def: New England

#8 GPWMC

GPWMC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

munde53, on 27 March 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

Allow me to rephrase the question, could Khiry be the power runner (goal line) behind the more versatile pass catching Thomas? Or are you implying that Thomas will be the unquestioned lead? When I said feature, I should have implied could Khiry completely supplant Ingram to be the 2012 Stevan Ridley while Thomas becomes the Shane Vereen/Sproles.

#9 RMJ_12

RMJ_12

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:53 PM

GPWMC, on 27 March 2014 - 01:09 PM, said:

munde53, on 27 March 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

Allow me to rephrase the question, could Khiry be the power runner (goal line) behind the more versatile pass catching Thomas? Or are you implying that Thomas will be the unquestioned lead? When I said feature, I should have implied could Khiry completely supplant Ingram to be the 2012 Stevan Ridley while Thomas becomes the Shane Vereen/Sproles.
yes you're thinking clearly.  i don't see Thomas as much more than a backup, like always.  he could be the new Sproles too, mainly used as a WR.

#10 ajmyk

ajmyk

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

I don't like the Champ Bailey thing.
He clearly wasn't good last season with Denver, and i still think Saints have a glaring hole at cornerback.
1/ Redraft League, 8 teams, .5 PPR, 2QB/2RB/2WR/Flex/K/Def
QB: Brees, Cutler, Tanehill
RB: Forte, Vereen, Thomas, B.Tate, S.Jackson, Ridley,Ingram
WR: J.Jones, Jeffery, Crabtree, Hunter, Wallace
TE: J.Thomas
Def : Patriots

2/ Dynasty League, 6pts PTD , 12 teams, QB/2RB/2WR/Flex/K/Def
QB: Rodgers, Tanehill, Bortles
RB : R.Rice, Ridley , J.Bell, K.Robinson, Ivory, L.Seastrunk
WR: J.Jones, Hopkins, Welker, Stills, Woods, M.Austin
TE : Gronkowski, Seferian-Jenkins
Def : Cardinals, Browns   
K: Crosby, Hocker
3/ IDP Deep Keeper League (16 keepers) , 14 teams, .5 PPR  QB/2RB/2WR/2Flex/2DL/2LB/2DB/1DP/K
QB : Bridgewater, Mettenberger,Locker
RB : C.Michael, Hyde, K.Robinson, Mason, Turbin
WR : Jeffery, Watkins, Floyd, Evans, Cooks
TE : L.Green, Eifert, Amaro
K : Suisham
DL: Ansah, Avrill   LB : A.Olgtree, Shazier, Mosley, Alonso   DB : Pryor, Dix

#11 Ol Blues

Ol Blues

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

The Saints Super Bowl winning team was far more run heavy than recent editions until late last season. I don't think we know yet what balance to expect in 2014 much less whether Payton is prepared to go to a heavy usage lead RB if he has the right personnel (Robinson?). This is one not to make your mind up on too soon.

More problematic is WR as I don't think it's clear whether or not all the wheels injuries are finally wearing down Colston. As thin as the depth chart now is a further significantly diminished Colston likely isn't cured by Stills' growth, Meachem's return or a mid level rookie and Colston and "separation" already have become antonyms.

#12 Ohwise1

Ohwise1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:38 PM

Ol Blues, on 05 April 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

The Saints Super Bowl winning team was far more run heavy than recent editions until late last season. I don't think we know yet what balance to expect in 2014 much less whether Payton is prepared to go to a heavy usage lead RB if he has the right personnel (Robinson?). This is one not to make your mind up on too soon.

More problematic is WR as I don't think it's clear whether or not all the wheels injuries are finally wearing down Colston. As thin as the depth chart now is a further significantly diminished Colston likely isn't cured by Stills' growth, Meachem's return or a mid level rookie and Colston and "separation" already have become antonyms.

I'd be willing to bet lotsa money they draft a WR in the first 2 rounds. And this years crop you're getting 1st round talent in the 2nd and 2nd in the 3rd. I know it's a tough learning curve but look at Kenny stills last year as a late late draft pick. Brees is gonna make it easy for any new additions. Bottom line is there is a guaranteed minimum of 4500 passing yards to go around and if you generously give 1200 to both Colston and graham that's still half of the yards to go around. Question is as always just how much wealth does brees spread around and to whom?  Who takes the place of sproles out of the backfield/slot and plays lance Moores inside/outside roll?  Much will be determined in may then preseason

#13 Ol Blues

Ol Blues

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:32 PM

Odd post Ohwise 1. Stills as a starter last season was a WR5 and that affords us confidence a rookie nonstarter gets it done this season(?!!)). Sproles wasn't playable last season so where his minimal yards supposedly go is a bit short of irrelevant and Moore was even less playable. Presumably there is a message in what you relate, but there's no clear cipher. The obvious: WR for the Saints is uncertain.

#14 Ohwise1

Ohwise1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

Ol Blues, on 05 April 2014 - 11:32 PM, said:

Odd post Ohwise 1. Stills as a starter last season was a WR5 and that affords us confidence a rookie nonstarter gets it done this season(?!!)). Sproles wasn't playable last season so where his minimal yards supposedly go is a bit short of irrelevant and Moore was even less playable. Presumably there is a message in what you relate, but there's no clear cipher. The obvious: WR for the Saints is uncertain.

To start I play PPR so the sproles/Reggie bush role in the saints offense has been very valuable for nearly a decade. Despite having a down year sproles still caught over 70 passes. He had value several weeks in 2013. A change in offensive philosophy might erase this role but for now I think Pierre Thomas is likely to outpace last years catches and break the 80 barrier.

On to Stills, yes he was a WR4 or 5 but no one expected him to even be that. If he started every game last year he would have been even better. If you used him as a bye week filler the right weeks last year you profited well. Now he's stepping in to a spot where he could even be a WR3. Point is if the saints take a guy like Cooks, Beckham or Mathews he needs to be on your radar cuz they will likely carve out an even bigger role than stills did last year. The depth chart is thin and the Colston isn't getting any younger

#15 Ol Blues

Ol Blues

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

I also play PPR and owned Sproles on 2 teams again last year. He had 3 productive games on the season and Thomas became the Saints receiving back by mid season. Happily, I had the good sense to bench Sproles. He is not a loss to the Saints attack, although, used properly, he figures to help Chip Kelly's attack particularly now that Desean is gone, for Sproles can provide the quick seam targets that Desean runs and Maclin is ill suited for.

Stills played the vast majority of the snaps for the Saints and was a starter before mid season. He is talented and has upside, but he was a WR5 last season and, even as a starter was a WR4- in 2013.

How a rookie playing behind Colston and Stills lights it up as you project is mystifying unless Colston or Stills get hurt or are useless and neither is likely.

I agree that Thomas figures to be the key receiving back. He was last season. Sproles saw very few snaps in the last 1/2 of the season.

#16 Ohwise1

Ohwise1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

Ol Blues, on 06 April 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:

I also play PPR and owned Sproles on 2 teams again last year. He had 3 productive games on the season and Thomas became the Saints receiving back by mid season. Happily, I had the good sense to bench Sproles. He is not a loss to the Saints attack, although, used properly, he figures to help Chip Kelly's attack particularly now that Desean is gone, for Sproles can provide the quick seam targets that Desean runs and Maclin is ill suited for.

Stills played the vast majority of the snaps for the Saints and was a starter before mid season. He is talented and has upside, but he was a WR5 last season and, even as a starter was a WR4- in 2013.

How a rookie playing behind Colston and Stills lights it up as you project is mystifying unless Colston or Stills get hurt or are useless and neither is likely.

I agree that Thomas figures to be the key receiving back. He was last season. Sproles saw very few snaps in the last 1/2 of the season.

I'm not saying a rookie is gonna "light it up" but could they out produce stills #s from last year? Absolutely. I'm not a fan of drafting rookie wideouts like Austin last year, but they can do work in the right situation (like Keenan Allen). I think a lot of that has to do with playing with the right QB and system, which is why braes/Payton is ideal for the right guy. But let me come out and say I WILL NOT BE DRAFTING ANY ROOKIE WR AS A STARTER FOR MY FANTASY TEAM.  History year after year supports this. I will however look on waivers throught the season and see if there will be some good spot starters, like Patterson was. And I don't see a reason why a high draft pick for the saints would not have some fantasy success by midseason. As chemistry strengthens and injuries occur (like Moore/Colston 2013)

As for RB, there's a decent chance ill take a late swing at either Thomas, Robinson and Ingram (in that order), but expect nothing better than a flex. If they draft a change of place to "replace" sproles that would only complicate the situation and make me reconsider

#17 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,403 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

http://www.neworlean...-Training-Camp/
2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Josh Gordon..........(09.13)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - Brian Quick..........(14.08)
RB2: Toby Gerhart...........(02.02)............. WR - Jeff Janis...........(UD.FA)
WR1: Tavon Austin...........(10.02)............. RB - Shonn Greene.........(UD.FA)
WR2: John Brown.............(UD.FA)............. RB - LeGarrette Blount....(09.06)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Jonathan Grimes......(UD.FA)
FLEX1: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - Theo Riddick.........(15.13)
FLEX2: Arian Foster.........(01.11)............. RB - Lorezno Taliaferro...(16.02)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users