Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Chris Carter 2014 Outlook30/100 potential?

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 Flacco2Rice

Flacco2Rice

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:59 AM

Surprised no thread on this guy yet. Yes, he kills your average and K's a TON, but still one of the top power guys out there.

If he cuts down even a little bit on K's, he could hit .250/30/100 this year.
12 Team AL-ONLY, 5x5 Roto

C-Salvador Perez
1B - EDWIN ENCARNACION
2B - Howie Kendrick
SS - Jed Lowrie
3B - Evan Longoria
OF - Kole Calhoun, Adam Eaton,  Chris Carter, Colby Rasmus, Chris Taylor
UT - CHRIS DAVIS
DH - Albert Pujols

SP - Weaver, Kuroda, Miguel Gonzalez, Drew Hutchinson, Stroman, Danny Salazar, Yohan Pino, Shane Greene, Holland(DL)
RP - McGee, Koji, Street, Andrew Miller

#2 kwelch

kwelch

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

I love him in my AL only, HR only, OF/1B only, Navy blue team color only league that doesn't count K's.

11 Team; Points Keeper League; 10th Pick
C: E. Gattis
1B: P. Fielder (K)
2B: M. Carpenter (K)
3B: M. Cabrera (TRD)
SS: H. Ramirez (K)
MI: A. Cabrera
CI: E. Encarnacion (K)
OF: S. Choo, G. Stanton, K. Davis, J. Willingham, A. Ethier
UTL: V. Martinez, J. Donaldson (TRD)
P: H. Bailey, D. Fister, H. Ryu, A. Reed, A. Cashner, C. Janssen, D. Salazar, A.J. Burnett, J. Axford
BEN: K. Wong, G. Sizemore, J. Villar

Forum: A place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

#3 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,407 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

This story played out last year. Everyone knows about him. EVeryone knows he can hit 30 HR and do nothing else. He's valued correctly, as a borderline waiver guy in standard mixed leagues.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#4 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,737 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

Flacco2Rice, on 27 March 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

Surprised no thread on this guy yet. Yes, he kills your average and K's a TON, but still one of the top power guys out there.

If he cuts down even a little bit on K's, he could hit .250/30/100 this year.

Seeing as hes not even being mentioned as 3/4 for hitter for the Astros (thats Altuve/Castro company!), and the Astros lineup is not good, i dont see him joining the select few players in MLB that have 100 RBI seeing as only 15 players accomplished that last year, . 30 HR, sure, .250 average, thats a reach.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#5 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,575 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

I think it was him they were talking about the other day being a good over/under bet (and probably the only one in the league who you could do it with): Which will be higher, total number of K's or Batting Avg:  Last year average was .221 and K's were 212.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#6 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:11 AM

Stay. Away.

1B and OF are really deep. At least in my view. Especially in leagues where guys like Trumbo are 1B eligible and Teix, Belt, Howard are going late.

If you're power starved I suppose you could do worse but yikes.

#7 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 24,990 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

I'm a little suspect of his job security.  If this becomes true, would that push him into some sort of timeshare at DH?  I don't know.

Jayson Stark reports that the Astros have been calling teams in an effort to acquire a first baseman. Stark says that among the potential targets are Mike Carp of the Red Sox, John Mayberry of the Phillies, and Tyler Moore of the Nationals.

For all of his fantasy power prowess, he's still not much of an impact player, 0.4 fWAR last year.  Now, he doesn't have discernible splits (actually hits righties slightly better) and although he's not young, he didn't have a ton of MLB experience, but I'm wondering how the Stros' see him L-T.  Do they think he's a better bench bat or platoon guy?  Now I think his PT is safe right now as he'll yo-yo b/w DH and 1b (he's a butcher in the field), but I'm not sure that will last throughout the season.....

He had a crappy ST, but I don't think that matters much.....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#8 archibjd

archibjd

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

I would think Jon Singleton is the bigger threat. Houston won't acquire another fringy 1st baseman.

#9 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 24,990 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

archibjd, on 27 March 2014 - 10:55 AM, said:

I would think Jon Singleton is the bigger threat. Houston won't acquire another fringy 1st baseman.

Could be or maybe Jabbaphet Amador, but both have tons to prove and Singleton was terrible last year (pretty good in the PR league) and awful in ST....I'm sure he still has his advocates in the organization and he's still young, but he's facing a big prove it year for him.
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#10 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,737 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

Patrick Bateman, on 27 March 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

archibjd, on 27 March 2014 - 10:55 AM, said:

Could be or maybe Jabbaphet Amador, but both have tons to prove and Singleton was terrible last year (pretty good in the PR league) and awful in ST....I'm sure he still has his advocates in the organization and he's still young, but he's facing a big prove it year for him.

Amador is on a loan from the Mexican league though, they got an extension on the loan but time is short on making up their mind on him. Singleton would seem the threat but yeah he was bad in his abbreviated season last year and didnt shine in the spring. Could they be looking for a 1B so they could exclusively DH Carter?
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#11 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,253 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

I'm going to keep an eye on his road/home splits because they were Jekyll & Hyde last season:

Home: .164/ .277/ .605 with 10 HR - 25 RBI
Road: .279/ .360/ .925 with 19 HR - 57 RBI

Edited by Sine_cera, 27 March 2014 - 01:40 PM.

"There's nothing more interesting than your own rotisserie team and nothing less interesting than someone else's." - Daniel Okrent

"If you challenge the conventional wisdom, you will find ways to do things much better than they are currently done." - Bill James

#12 Boogie Down

Boogie Down

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

Sine_cera, on 27 March 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

I'm going to keep an eye on his road/home splits because they were Jekyll & Hyde last season:

Home: .164/ .277/ .605 with 10 HR - 25 RBI
Road: .279/ .360/ .925 with 19 HR - 57 RBI

Yeah, this caught my eye while I was reading up on him, especially since Minute Maid is such a great park for power RHB's.  If anything, one would expect these splits to be reversed.  There's hope yet that with normalization at home, he'll be roster-able and potentially have a true breakout season.  To that end, his 2013 batted-ball profile (top line) looks pretty similar to that of Chris Davis:

LD% GB% FB% O-Swing% Swing Strike % BB%   K% ISO
22.4 30.8 46.8    28.6 15.5 12.0   36.2  .227  
21.9 32.4 45.7    35.7 15.2 10.7   29.6  .348  

The main difference between the two, as the article outlines, is in the contact they make, as Davis' IFFB% was a minuscule 3.9% while Carter's was 12.1%; Obviously, this had a clear impact on their batting averages and power.  Ultimately, though, I don't think any of us are looking for Carter to morph into a .286/.370/.634 juggernaut.  An increase in average to .250 (with the corresponding improvements in contact being the cause) would yield the overall numbers that would make Carter one of the most valuable fantasy assets of the year.

http://www.fangraphs...kout-candidate/

Edited by Boogie Down, 28 March 2014 - 09:49 AM.

#13 Skoodog

Skoodog

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,611 posts
  • Interests:Driving Porsches with Paul Walker

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:51 AM

The impetus behind the home/road splits being the opposite of reason is because Astros fans are TERRIBLE.  He would get a lot of boos when he would come to the plate and that got in his head.  Doesn't really speak well of Carter, but the parallels to Davis are very interesting.  Power is the one skill you can't fake, and he's got it in spades.

I don't think anyone's afraid of Amador and Singleton has just not put it together in the minors like he should have.  Why the Astros would throw money at any of those other scrubs though is beyond me - they are clearly in the tank for another year so they can get Rodon and make a run in 2015.  (In fact I doubt they call up Springer this year just to ensure that #1 pick...especially if they don't get him signed to a LT deal early.)

Edited by Skoodog, 28 March 2014 - 09:52 AM.

Legend has it...they don't check on the weekends...

#14 quemortal

quemortal

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:36 PM

This guy is frigging brutal; still striking out at a record pace and hasn't hit a home run. Is he even worth holding on to in a deep league?

#15 WacArnolds

WacArnolds

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:15 AM

I'm starting to wonder the same thing myself and I'm I'm an AL only league. You have to think the power numbers will be there over the course of the season but man has he been brutal.

#16 Yceman1234

Yceman1234

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

HRs in back-to-back games.  Starting to heat up?

#17 kgizzle

kgizzle

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

Might be time to pick this guy up if you need cheap power off the bench.

#18 kgizzle

kgizzle

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

Shortened his swing and swing a week ago and ever since all his hits have been HRs including last night's walk off. Power still plays in OPS and deeper leagues.

#19 blinkfan77

blinkfan77

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

Had to give him a try after his hot spell. Praying for a miracle haha.
{16 Team H2H Points}

C.  Vogt
1B. Frazier
2B. Gordon
3B. Longoria
SS. Rollins
LF.  Carter
CF.  Kemp
RF. Stanton
Util. Morneau

DL: Tulowitzki
DL: Pollock

Bench:Bryant

SP. Fernandez, Kershaw, Hamels, Gray, Wheeler, Pineda, Kohler,Paxton, Miller, Milone

RP. Robertson Betances, Benoit, Feliz, Familia,

#20 Heartbreak

Heartbreak

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:02 PM

blinkfan77, on 18 July 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

Had to give him a try after his hot spell. Praying for a miracle haha.
Same here.  Now probably dropping again.  4 ABs, 4 Ks.  He'll kill my ave. cat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users