9 replies to this topic

#1 osb_tensor

osb_tensor

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

everything i've been able to find says that barton will get the large part of a platoon at 1b, with callaspo, which is odd to begin with.. but the oddest part is how they're going to platoon him. he's going to sit vs LHP and play vs RHP.

career marks:

vs LHP (467 PA) - wRC+ of 129 (OPS .819)
vs RHP (1220 PA) - wRC+ of 96 (OPS .698)

why would oakland sit him against lefties when he hits them much better? they're usually ahead of the curve on these issues, so i'm sure that i'm missing something. a check of his minor league stats shows a slight favor to RHP platoon, but not much (.850 vs .743 OPS) and it's a sss.

Daric Barton will be the Athletics' regular first baseman against right-handed pitching.

John Jaso's concussion issues appear to be behind him, clearing the way for him to see the bulk of his playing time behind the plate. That opens up the designated hitter spot for Brandon Moss and first base for Barton. The 28-year-old offers a nice eye at the plate and a good glove at first but sports just a .223/.334/.298 batting line over the last three seasons. Mar 24 - 11:35 PM

Source: Athletics.mlb.com

#2 hard1

hard1

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,130 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

Why would I start him in a fantasy league is the better question? In a 30 teamer AL only I may consider
  • Damn Yankee likes this

#3 osb_tensor

osb_tensor

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

Why would I start him in a fantasy league is the better question? In a 30 teamer AL only I may consider

i was intrigued as a platoon bat in a deep dynasty where almost everyone of relevence is owned. but i was thinking vs lhp, not so much interest against rhp. which means if they platoon this way, he'll never see lhp (or rarely at least).

it's got me confused..

Edited by osb_tensor, 27 March 2014 - 07:08 PM.

#4 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

I thought he was killed by the Korean mafia.

I guess not though. At any rate, he equals poo for any fantasy purposes. What Oakland does with him is probably the right choice, even that is "launch him into orbit"
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#5 Damn Yankee

Damn Yankee

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:20 AM

LOL...the only starting 1B that I've ever heard of batting 9th in the lineup (expected). Wow.

Just play Moss at 1B all year A's...even against LHP. His overall numbers will dwarf Barton's stats...

Edited by Damn Yankee, 28 March 2014 - 08:21 AM.

"If it wasn't for luck, I'd win every hand" - Phil Helmuth

#6 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

LOL...the only starting 1B that I've ever heard of batting 9th in the lineup (expected). Wow.

Just play Moss at 1B all year A's...even against LHP. His overall numbers will dwarf Barton's stats...

Defense matters. Moss is awful at first. Barton is pretty good. Moss will still play most games.

I could see Barton ultimately losing the job, save for the fact Barton apparently has pictures of Beane getting intimate with livestock.
Want help in your A/C threads? Give details!!! Keeper/dynasty/redraft, ppr, league size, who is on your roster, roto/H2H, scoring system, etc.

#7 osb_tensor

osb_tensor

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

Defense matters. Moss is awful at first. Barton is pretty good. Moss will still play most games.

I could see Barton ultimately losing the job, save for the fact Barton apparently has pictures of Beane getting intimate with livestock.

Also, if you play moss at 1b daily, who's dh? Norris? Gentry when healthy?

#8 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

Also, if you play moss at 1b daily, who's dh? Norris? Gentry when healthy?

Callapso, or one of the many guys from the outfield who will need days of semi rest. Filling the DH spot isn't going to be terribly difficult for Oakland.
Want help in your A/C threads? Give details!!! Keeper/dynasty/redraft, ppr, league size, who is on your roster, roto/H2H, scoring system, etc.

#9 Damn Yankee

Damn Yankee

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

I think Beane has proven his penchant for preferring a better hitter over a better defensive player...or is Moss that atrocious at 1B? But then again...if that's true, why is Barton still on the roster I guess....

Edited by Damn Yankee, 28 March 2014 - 11:13 AM.

"If it wasn't for luck, I'd win every hand" - Phil Helmuth

#10 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

Moss is staying in the lineup, just as a DH. He's a liability at first.

To be fair, Barton did hit 300 post ASB last year. No power, but a guy who has the potential to play good defense, hit 280+, and give a 350 obp has value, regardless of what is typically expected from the position.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users