15 replies to this topic

#1 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:26 PM

Looks pretty good in an awfully ridiculously small sample size. Two multi hit games to start the season.

Batting 2nd vs lefties and 7th righties.

Not sure how long he lasts, but I guess he could be useful in two catcher leagues if you're waiting on Ramos.
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#2 debrew81

debrew81

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:43 PM

Captain Obvious.

#3 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

Captain Obvious.

Still a Captain.
  • Milk Me likes this
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#4 debrew81

debrew81

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

Captain Obvious.

Still a Captain.

Well played.

#5 kidtwentytwo

kidtwentytwo

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

Certainly worse options out there. I think he's a little under rated
Everybody panic

#6 Sean-O

Sean-O

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

If he's getting full-time catcher AB's & hits towards the top of the lineup (vs lefties) he's worth a look definitely.

CBS - 12 Team League - PPR
QB (1) - Newton
RB (2) - Bell, Vereen
WR (2) - Marshall, J. Nelson
WR/TE (1) - Sanu
DST (1) - streaming
K (1) - streaming
Bench - E. Manning, Mason, Blount, Beckham, Hawkins 

Yahoo - 10 Team League - PPR
QB (1) - Foles
RB (2) - Lacy, M. Lynch
WR (2) - A. Brown, V. Jackson
W/R/T (1) - Edelman
DST (1) - streaming
K (1) - streaming
Bench - Romo, R. Bush, Cooks, Gates, Ivory, McKinnon

#7 Milk Me

Milk Me

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Interests:balls of all kinds. footballs; soccer balls; footie balls. etc

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

You know, I was looking at the Twins' C-eligible players, and as good as Pinto has been so far (especially for those of us with the luxury of OBP counting instead of AVG...) Suzuki has been just as good, just in different areas, if not better or right up there with him.

Which makes me wonder (as I am currently carrying two C in a 1-start league, but I like having a backup C; just one who can play more than one position in the best of worlds- like 1B, so he can be !B-C-CI eligible.... but OF/C combos are nice- or Catchers who DH the majority like Pinto for the Twins, while Suzuki usually handles backstop duties.

I am seriously wanting to pick up Suzuki even though I have better options right now and longterm ROS in Flowers (now) and Yan Gomes (later), but Suzuki's numbers and availability was baffling to me- at least, right up until about 3 or 4 min. ago while watching MLB network's recap show, I over heard he has something like 8 RBI over his past 4 starts. But his numbers can't be completely ignored with that Twins team's offense being the current surprise of the year if I were to pick one....can they?
(Here they are- you tell me if he's worth a look, and/or decide for your own self in your league if he's a FA- and he is owned in only 5% (+1% Last Day) of Yahoo! leagues even with these pretty gaudy numbers for a WW catcher just sitting there and currently a starter for a red-hot offense....
6R, 1HR, 17RBI (w/ 8 in fact coming over his last 8 GP; 9 coming over his last 6 GP) w/ his triple slash line at.310/.406/.414 w/ a .820 OPS in 17GP, 58 AB
though as mentioned above it would seem a lot came in a cluster....well that kind of is how Chris Colabello got an extended chance and has run with it (though I still say his WBC exposure did not hurt his case, with Piazza getting that team some nice exposure to boo,t but that isn't here, nor now) and in 2012 (I believe? Yeah, 2012, because Tulo went down and he saved my season until Trout was recalled and won my season :) ) Plouffe wound up playing a bit around the diamond, but seemed to finally find his bat even if he still got going late for a prospect as far as "breaking out" goes. If I'm straight on this, he then sucked in 2013 and I think it was due to injury/injuries he had lingering and could not play through adequately, really. Look at his numbers first glance without knowing his full season (and then seeing 2013 which followed), he looked like a flash in a pan in 2012 who burnt out his engine and was a bum upon return, but what a lot of people don't remember (or realize?) is I believe Plouffe was dealing w/ nagging injuries not only for most all of his 2nd half or early portion first-half onward and into the 2nd half of 2012 and he did he the DL thar season despite hitting 24 or 25 bombs in very limited ABs and in a major streaky spurt, but in 2013 he was practically playing hurt when he did suit up, IIRC. 2 yrs ago when Plouffe streaked heavily he even had a 20-30 game hitting streak in there somewhere.

Case in point, with these former prospects like Plouffe and Dozier; with Pinto hitting, and Kubel healthy finally, and hitting OK again. And just in general while their offense is red-hot.... is Suzuki worth looking into as a possible hold for the ROS, or is he too, like a LOT of Twins players just very streaky as a whole, in entirety?

I'm just trying to get a feel on what to expect- does he do this often? He really has had a torrid stretch and with Pinto spelling him here or there but playing DH while C eligible the majority of time, I question if possibly those two could just be paired in a tandem appropriately.... if there is a 3rd C on he team that foils that but I am tempted to roster them both if they alternate the days as to who is Catching time-to-time. Could actually find a way to MAYBE maximize all 162GP at C allotted on the year, instead of falling -15 starts shy like always. It's hard to consistently start a backup C you can carry for a long time in 1-C leagues, but it can have a lot of benefits truly.
Anyway this offense can streak and I've warched it over the years, or the past 2-3 mainly. This season their flash seems to be Collabello, but Plouffe is taking a substantial step forward and last I checked, Suzuki was batting #2 from time-to-time.
I just don't know if he can keep it up and/or if the 9 RBI/6 games is just an oddity. Anyone who watches the Twins, or owns Pinto and has vaguely followed their catching situation?.... I'd love more insight, like if he has changed his stance or swing or made any adjustments, stuff like that (Suzuki, that is). It is very early and a small sample size but his 9:6 BB/K ratio is very nice and rivals Pinto's 13:13.... something in the water up there?
recap w/ 2 wks remaining...
ROSTER:
C Derek Norris+, 1B Matt Adams, 2B Anthony Rendon, 3B Casey McGehee, SS Alexei Ramirez, CI Brock Holt, MI Arismendy Alcantara, OF(x5) Giancarlo Stanton, Ben Revere, J.D. Martinez, Christian Yellich, Jorge Soler(opening day N/A stash), UTL(x2) Juan Lagares, Khris Davis
BN OF Lorenzo Cain, OF Carl Crawford
SP(x3) Chris Sale, Zach Greink, Phil Hughes, RP(x3) Joe Nathan, Hector Rondon, Edward Mujica, P(SP/RP-x3) Neftali Feliz, Tony Sipp, Chad Qualls, BN Scott Kazmir SP, Carlos Carrasco SP/RP, Jake Arrieta SP
THE DEPOSED:
Kyle Seager (FA add who gave me 31R, 11HR, 54 RBI & 5 SB before dealt), Scooter Gennett (Fa add) dealt for Joe Nathan, 1-for-1 and I've re-added Scooter since his owner had dropped him at points, Corey Dickerson (impatient drop by me-ugh), Goldschmidt(original pick, hit & out for year); Wil Myers(original pick I dropped and didn't want to DL/wait on w/ how he'd been playing), Nolan Arrenado(original pick; dealt for Ben Revere about 3wks ago 1-for-1), Yasiel Puig (dealt 1-for-1 for Greinke about 1-2/4ths into the season), Tulo (went down, original draftee), Kolten Wong (untimely drop), Koji (dealt for 1-for-1 for Heyward, an original pick- dropped recently for Tony Sipp), Brandon Moss (dealt for Yellich and Cody Allen), Mike Cuddyer (on my team as an original pick and re-pickup, but dropped again), Yan Gomes (original 1$ draft pick and C, dropped 2/4th thru for Vogt/Norris combo), Vogt (dropped recently for Carl Crawford I think), Josh Harrison(dealt in a deal for Brock Holt), Sean Doolittle (1IP- 18.00/2.00 WHIP from it, prior to him getting the CL- I f'd up there... outright drop for god knows who), Shelby Miller & Gerrit Cole (14 wins total; both original picks, Miller cut and Cole dealt for Alexei SS 1-for-1), Garrett Richards (11 W- FA add, and cut once injured), Jake McGee, Ronald Belisario, Jenry Mejia- 20SV (McGee dealt in deal for Khris Davis and Matt Adams; Belisario cut; Mejia dealt w/ 1 total SV for Rendon early in year :)
go team go I need the money, GIVE ME THE MONEY STUART LITTLE DILLHOLE. I NEED SOME WHITE LADY, K.

#8 Grace17

Grace17

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:33 AM

I like him as a late week replacement for Avg, OBP and keeping down the strikeouts. I plan to pick him up monday as a backup.
C- Devin Meseraco
1B- Albert Pujols, Justin Morneau
2B- Chase Utley, Jacob Turner
SS - Xander Borgaerts, Jed Lowrie
3B - Todd Frazier
OF - Christian Yelich, Jacob Ellsbury, J.D. Martinez, Corey Dickerson, Steve Pearce
SP- Z. Greinke, J. Lester, Tyson Ross, C. Archer, J. Peavy, J. Cosart, A. Cashner, M. Gonzalez, M. Fiers, F. Liriano
DL - Tanaka

12 team league - 25 man rosters- H2H Keep 6

#9 IlliniGuy76

IlliniGuy76

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

Wiln Rosario went down on the DL. When he was down with the hand injury I had picked up Pinto.

Suzuki is still available on the FA wire. I'd get docked a roster move but does anyone think Suzuki can keep up the high average and a better option than Pinto?

My sig. in League 2 is pretty power loaded. I need someone for the next 2 weeks while Rosario is hurt.

Harry Caray, 1984 Cubs locker room celebration, "And here we are! I hope we get loaded tonight!"
12 Team, PPR, Start: 2 QB's, 2 RB's, 2WR, 1 FLEX, 1K, 1 TE. Keep 6.
QBs: Wilson, Kaepernick, Schaub, Whitehurst, Flacco
RB: Bell, Vereen, Sankey, Greene, FJax
WR: Floyd, Cobb, Hopkins, Jennings, Baldwin
TE: Reed, Walker
K: Crosby, Suisham

15 Team, Non-PPR, redraft, Start: 2QBs, 2RBs, 3 WRs, 1 K, 1 D.
QB: Wilson, Ryan
RB: Ingram, Ellington
WR: White, Floyd, A. Johnson
TE: Cameron
K: Hauschka DEF: NE Pats

12 Team, $500 Cap/Auction/Dynasty League, PPR, 2 QB's, 2 RB's, 3WR, 2 FLEX, 1K, 1 TE.
QB: Brady ($92), Brees ($99), Fitzpatrick ($10), Hoyer ($7), Savage ($2)
RB: Lynch ($60), Woodhead ($16), SJax ($19), Cunningham ($1), McKinnon ($1), CJ Anderson ($1), McFadden ($7)
Robinson ($8) WR: Garcon ($35), Hopkins ($19), Thompkins ($7), J. Hunter ($4), BMarsh ($65), Tate ($8), Marlon Brown ($1) TE: D. Allen ($2), Ertz ($12), Reed ($5) K: Vinatieri ($1), Suisham ($1)

#10 mrp5150

mrp5150

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:30 AM

Does anyone expect him to continue to hit .300 ROS?

10 Team Redraft League

QB - Peyton Manning

QB - Matt Ryan

WR - A.J. Green

WR - Julian Edelman

RB - Alfred Morris

RB - C.J. Spiller

TE - Jordan Cameron

W/R/T - Bernard Pierce

K - Justin Tucker

DEF - Pittsburgh

BN - Teddy Bridgewater

BN - Torrey Smith

BN - Brian Quick

BN - Stevan Ridley

BN - Ryan Mathews

BN - Larry Donnell

#11 mrp5150

mrp5150

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

Nobody?

10 Team Redraft League

QB - Peyton Manning

QB - Matt Ryan

WR - A.J. Green

WR - Julian Edelman

RB - Alfred Morris

RB - C.J. Spiller

TE - Jordan Cameron

W/R/T - Bernard Pierce

K - Justin Tucker

DEF - Pittsburgh

BN - Teddy Bridgewater

BN - Torrey Smith

BN - Brian Quick

BN - Stevan Ridley

BN - Ryan Mathews

BN - Larry Donnell

#12 Morat

Morat

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

Doesn't hit for average, doesn't walk, no power. Awful. No way he can keep this up right? Career .257 hitter. Last four years 242, 237, 235, 233.
"Give me a new ball...one you can see." - A.J. Pierzynski to umpire.

#13 Damn Yankee

Damn Yankee

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

For me the major measurable here is his change in approach (taught to him I'm sure) in every at bat with the Twins. This is obviously because they committed to him as the #2 batter in Spring Training, and something seems to be working there for him. Is he a more disciplined hitter? Is he just getting lucky? I'd be interested to see if he's taking more pitches this year or any other plate-discipline stats there are and how they apply to him this year versus last year.

All I know is that he has been a fantastic #2 C in 2-catcher leagues.

The Twins needed it...because Pinto absolutely flamed out this year.

Edited by Damn Yankee, 18 July 2014 - 02:57 PM.

"If it wasn't for luck, I'd win every hand" - Phil Helmuth

#14 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,918 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

I added him as a Molina replacement, as I like him better than the alternative more power / average killer types. While I doubt he hits .300+ from here on out he should still produce a high average. He's putting the ball in play 91% of the time which is a career high and doing so with an improved walk rate (8%). He's also hitting plenty of line drives and more Ground balls than flyballs which is conducive to hitting for a high average. The downside is he hits for virtually no power and unless the rest of the Twins bats are hot, he won't produce many counting stats. I'll probably only keep him if the Twins bats are producing, (or a trade to a more prolific offense) otherwise it might be a long second half of catcher musical chairs.

Edited by Zumayaaaa, 18 July 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#15 2013myyear

2013myyear

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:26 PM

i declare suzuki the bigger loser than detroit tonight. a 20 run orgy in which everyone chipped in, but kurt couldn't even buy himself a hit or at least a walk but struck out 3 times instead.......... :wacko:

#16 BMcP

BMcP

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:29 PM

Romine authored one of those K's...
Opta ardua pennis astra sequi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users