27 replies to this topic

#1 dannyusf

dannyusf

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

Don't look now! But the Marlins are number 1 in the division and undefeated!

They got Jose and Eovaldi is looking nasty.

Chisek seems like a reliable closer.

Giancarlo could stay healthy.

Yelich and Ozuna got something to prove this year and Marsinick is still in the minors developing.

Maybe they won't be as pathetic as people think they will be.
2013 Fantasy Baseball Champion Friends and Family League
Go Rays ! Go Orioles! Go Alex Cobb!
12 Team H2H Standard 5 Keepers
C: Posey 1B: Goldy!!! 2B: Pedroia 3B: Beltre SS: Boegarts OF: Marte, Jennings, Coco UTL: Napoli Bench: Bogaerts, Taveras, Willingham SP: Darvish, Shields, Price, Cobb, Wacha, Bailey, Peralta RP: Perkins, Britton, Mejia, Doolittle

2014 Fantasy Football 12 team .25 PPR and Return $$$
QB : Kaep WR1: A. Brown WR2 : R. Cobb WR3 : Cordarelle R B1 : McCo y RB2: C J?K TE: Orange Julius F lex: Bernard Pie rce K : Str eam Def : Stream Bench : JOSH GO RDON , Boldin, F. Jackson, Rainey

2014 Fantasy Football 10 team standard $$$
QB : Ka ep WR1 : A J WR2 : Ga rcon RB1 : Fo rte RB2 : CJ?K TE : Orang e Julius Flex: Percy K : Folk Def: KC
Bench: Edeleman, Maclin, Pierce, Pierre Thomas, Fred Jackson, Sproles, JOSH GORDON

#2 Stickfig13

Stickfig13

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

They can't be worse

#3 mjames242

mjames242

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

Everybody do the fish!! Yea yea yea!

#4 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,818 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

70 wins here we come!!!

#5 mbrennan535

mbrennan535

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

The strip joint in the stadium has some major upside.
  • tucker26 likes this
9 Team Roto, AVG, HR, R, SB, RBI x QS, ERA, WHIP, K, SV
C: "Baby Bull" Wilin Rosario ($10)
1B: Freddie Freeman (K)
2B: Anthony Rendon (WW)
3B: Ryan Zimmerman ($8)
SS: Hanley Ramirez (K)
OF: Carlos "Go Go" Gomez (K)
OF: Jay Bruce  (K)
OF: Mike Trout (K)
UTIL: Jose "Oso" Abreu ($10)
UTIL: Billy "The Fast Kid" Hamilton ($11)
BN:  George Springer ($3), "Big Daddy" Matt Holliday (K) Dee Gordon (WW)

SP: Chris Archer ($9)
SP: Madison Bumgarner ($17)
RP: Jonathan Papelbon ($7), Glen Perkins ($6), Sean Doolittle (WW), Delin Betances (WW)
P:  Dallas Keuchel (WW),Tim Hudson (WW)

#6 Undakai

Undakai

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:37 PM

Looks like they are starting to recover from those abysmal last two weeks, though it is Seattle.

Hitting well, 3 starting pitchers with an under 3 era, but errors and the bullpen have killed this team early on.

#7 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:29 AM

So these guys stealing signs or what?

http://mlb.si.com/20...ng-gavin-floyd/
And all the greatest of the heroes
Started jumping from the books
They started wearing ones and zeros
Looking more and more like crooks
They stole the sunlight from the future
Took a sip, drank half the glass then put it back

#8 dogspot

dogspot

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

Funny. I especially like this part:

"Of course, there’s another possibility here: That Aaron Harang getting lit up in a major league start is not an unusual occurrence and that his success coming into Wednesday’s start was far more suspicious than his lousy outing against the Marlins. In 2012, Harang gave up two more runs than innings pitched eight times, three of those coming in his first six starts of the season. You’d be hard pressed to find someone outside of the Braves’ organization who didn’t think he was overdue for a shellacking heading into Wednesday’s game."

Miami swept the Braves because they played better baseball than them. Someone should write an article on that.
  • S1mcity likes this

#9 S1mcity

S1mcity

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

Funny. I especially like this part:

"Of course, there’s another possibility here: That Aaron Harang getting lit up in a major league start is not an unusual occurrence and that his success coming into Wednesday’s start was far more suspicious than his lousy outing against the Marlins. In 2012, Harang gave up two more runs than innings pitched eight times, three of those coming in his first six starts of the season. You’d be hard pressed to find someone outside of the Braves’ organization who didn’t think he was overdue for a shellacking heading into Wednesday’s game."

Miami swept the Braves because they played better baseball than them. Someone should write an article on that.

What do you mean? Harang isn't Cliff Lee? BLASPHEMY!
10 Team H2H Auction Keeper League
5 Keepers &(6X5 + OBP)&(260$)
  • C - Jonthan LuCroy(10$) & Dioner Navarro (FA)
  • 1B - Albert Pujols(20$) & Brandon Moss(10$)
  • 2B - Aaron Hill(10$) & Dustin Ackley (FA)
  • SS - Troy Tulowitzki(37$)(K) & Jed Lowrie(2$)
  • 3B - Pedro Alvarez(1$) & Manny Machado(6$)
  • OF - Ryan Braun(46$) & Carlos Gonzalez(50$) & Michael Morse(FA)
  • UTI - Brandon Belt(1$) &
  • Bench - Dayan Viciedo(FA), Gregory Polanco (FA)
  • SP - Jose Fernandez(1$)(K), Scott Kazmir (FA), Clayton Kershaw(34$), Jesse Chavez(FA), CC Sabathia(7$), Alex Wood(FA)
  • RP - Tommy Hunter(FA), Steve Chisek(1$), Jim Johnson(5$)
  • DL - Anibal Sanchez(12$), Alex Cobb(10$), Devin Mesoraco(1$), Bryce Harper(29$)(K)

#10 mbrennan535

mbrennan535

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

Honestly I think a lot is coaching. No more I LOVE FIDEL CASTRO!
9 Team Roto, AVG, HR, R, SB, RBI x QS, ERA, WHIP, K, SV
C: "Baby Bull" Wilin Rosario ($10)
1B: Freddie Freeman (K)
2B: Anthony Rendon (WW)
3B: Ryan Zimmerman ($8)
SS: Hanley Ramirez (K)
OF: Carlos "Go Go" Gomez (K)
OF: Jay Bruce  (K)
OF: Mike Trout (K)
UTIL: Jose "Oso" Abreu ($10)
UTIL: Billy "The Fast Kid" Hamilton ($11)
BN:  George Springer ($3), "Big Daddy" Matt Holliday (K) Dee Gordon (WW)

SP: Chris Archer ($9)
SP: Madison Bumgarner ($17)
RP: Jonathan Papelbon ($7), Glen Perkins ($6), Sean Doolittle (WW), Delin Betances (WW)
P:  Dallas Keuchel (WW),Tim Hudson (WW)

#11 agk47

agk47

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

Hechaverria is starting to look like a good hitter.

Hind site beng what it is, I don't blame management for ditching the 20 mill a year divas in favor of this awesomeness.

#12 Travdaddy10

Travdaddy10

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

The pitching staff that they've assembled is unreal. Young guns and all are under the age of 24. Plus they have a bunch in the minors too. My guess is they are playing for a championship within 3 years. I see Koehler is 27, but still.

Edited by Travdaddy10, 07 May 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#13 dannyusf

dannyusf

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

The pitching staff that they've assembled is unreal. Young guns and all are under the age of 24. Plus they have a bunch in the minors too. My guess is they are playing for a championship within 3 years. I see Koehler is 27, but still.

Very true, they are eying a run soon cause you know they can't hold Stanton forever, he even tweets about being traded. Jose, eovladi, Alvarez and hopefully heisey will be legit of a staff. Alvarez probably the wild card here and heisey with experience factor. But I'm buying eovaldi
2013 Fantasy Baseball Champion Friends and Family League
Go Rays ! Go Orioles! Go Alex Cobb!
12 Team H2H Standard 5 Keepers
C: Posey 1B: Goldy!!! 2B: Pedroia 3B: Beltre SS: Boegarts OF: Marte, Jennings, Coco UTL: Napoli Bench: Bogaerts, Taveras, Willingham SP: Darvish, Shields, Price, Cobb, Wacha, Bailey, Peralta RP: Perkins, Britton, Mejia, Doolittle

2014 Fantasy Football 12 team .25 PPR and Return $$$
QB : Kaep WR1: A. Brown WR2 : R. Cobb WR3 : Cordarelle R B1 : McCo y RB2: C J?K TE: Orange Julius F lex: Bernard Pie rce K : Str eam Def : Stream Bench : JOSH GO RDON , Boldin, F. Jackson, Rainey

2014 Fantasy Football 10 team standard $$$
QB : Ka ep WR1 : A J WR2 : Ga rcon RB1 : Fo rte RB2 : CJ?K TE : Orang e Julius Flex: Percy K : Folk Def: KC
Bench: Edeleman, Maclin, Pierce, Pierre Thomas, Fred Jackson, Sproles, JOSH GORDON

#14 AndyReidMustGo...Now

AndyReidMustGo...Now

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Football, baseball, fantasy sports, video games, movies, music, Sons of Anarchy and other great TV shows

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:22 AM

Miami's pitching is really good. And their hitting lineup is alot better than last seasons IMO. Even tonight in a losing effort they looked impressive with 8 and 9th innings rally attempts. Last year Marlins offense down early would waive the white flag halfway before the game was over. These lineups in comparison, especially with more XBH hitters in the middle of the lineup, are like night and day.

Agreed. If Eovaldi takes the next step, Alvarez is decent, and Koehler and/or Turner pan out, it's an improvement on last year's results. Also, the offense could be better than last year's situation and the eventual call-up of Heaney should help the pitching mid-season, as well. Overall, improvement should be a given. Plus, the division should be a bit easier to navigate with no Harvey or Hamels(for a time period not yet known) and the Atlanta issues.

Cautiously optimistic on the Marlins this year. The usual caveats apply. If Stanton is healthy and Fernandez is close to what he was last year, then the Marlins could win 75-80 games. Not saying it's gospel truth, but it's possible.

Does anyone have any other thoughts to add to this conversation? I feel like it was overlooked at the time, April 3rd, and there should be further discussion. Not saying these statements, by WarRate and myself, are unassailable. Just trying to get some further insight or input on this subject. Not sure if Heaney will be called up, as I was in my OP. But, further deliberation is always encouraged, and welcomed, on this site. What do you guys think? Should Marlins owners be optimistic, or should we be expecting the regression hammer to strike down like Thor?
"Respect is not given, it is earned."-Brian Dawkins

#15 thewallsaround

thewallsaround

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

Miami's pitching is really good. And their hitting lineup is alot better than last seasons IMO. Even tonight in a losing effort they looked impressive with 8 and 9th innings rally attempts. Last year Marlins offense down early would waive the white flag halfway before the game was over. These lineups in comparison, especially with more XBH hitters in the middle of the lineup, are like night and day.

Agreed. If Eovaldi takes the next step, Alvarez is decent, and Koehler and/or Turner pan out, it's an improvement on last year's results. Also, the offense could be better than last year's situation and the eventual call-up of Heaney should help the pitching mid-season, as well. Overall, improvement should be a given. Plus, the division should be a bit easier to navigate with no Harvey or Hamels(for a time period not yet known) and the Atlanta issues.

Cautiously optimistic on the Marlins this year. The usual caveats apply. If Stanton is healthy and Fernandez is close to what he was last year, then the Marlins could win 75-80 games. Not saying it's gospel truth, but it's possible.

Does anyone have any other thoughts to add to this conversation? I feel like it was overlooked at the time, April 3rd, and there should be further discussion. Not saying these statements, by WarRate and myself, are unassailable. Just trying to get some further insight or input on this subject. Not sure if Heaney will be called up, as I was in my OP. But, further deliberation is always encouraged, and welcomed, on this site. What do you guys think? Should Marlins owners be optimistic, or should we be expecting the regression hammer to strike down like Thor?

The Marlins seem pretty content with their pitching at the moment. I would say barring any setbacks or injuries, I don't believe they will call Heaney up. While I don't believe many sports writers were expecting the rotation to be good, the organization has a good amount of faith in their rotation which is still relatively young and establishing themselves. They have Fernandez as their ace and their other starts while not aces are definitely servicable for a major league organization.

The main reason they called up Fernandez to begin with was to bring attendance up. Heaney doesn't have that same luster. But if there is an injury come June-Sept and they are in the hunt, they wouldn't be afraid to call him up.
  • AndyReidMustGo...Now likes this

#16 9703

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

Fernandez, Eovaldi and Alvarez have been good. Koehler has been good too although he's probably not this good. Still serviceable though with pretty good stuff and he's earned his rotation spot.

Heaney will come up later in the year for Jacob Turner who's been terrible for quite awhile now.

#17 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

Nice solid young base for this team. It would be interesting to see if they can manage to keep Stanton with the promise of a bright future. He probably still has in the back of his head how often this team tears things down to start over, but this team can certainly contend in the near future, especially if Yelich and Ozuna keep coming along to join Stanton for years to come.

#18 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:32 AM

Here they are.

The Marlins.

In June.

Zero games back from first and only .001% difference in Win% with a +22 Run differential.

Even a month after they lost their best pitcher for the year.

Probably Not going to last. Still, very impressive for how bad they were last year.

Edited by Slatykamora, 09 June 2014 - 12:33 AM.

#19 djmax101

djmax101

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

With how bad the NL East has been this year, it's not inconceivable that the Marlins could win the division. Unlikely, yes. Impossible, no.
10 team H2H Points. The "I waited until round 8 to draft a pitcher" squad.
C: Carlos Santana / 1B: Jose Abreu / 2B: Jose Altuve / SS: Ian Desmond / 3B: Todd Frazier / MI: Dustin Pedroia / CI: Victor Martinez / OF: Mike Trout, Ryan Braun, Shin-Soo Choo, Melky Cabrera, Josh Hamilton / Util: George Springer, Khris Davis / Bench/DL: Mark Trumbo
SP: Jordan Zimmerman, Cole Hamels, Alex Cobb, Dallas Keuchel, Scott Kazmir, Corey Kluber, Jake Arrieta, Yordano Ventura / RP: Koji Uehara, Sean Doolittle

10 team H2H Points. The "my work colleagues don't value walks for some reason" squad
C: Russell Martin / 1B: Jose Abreu / 2B: Martin Prado / SS: Ben Zobrist / 3B: Evan Longoria / MI: Aaron Hill / CI: Todd Frazier
OF: Mike Trout, Jose Bautistia, George Springer, Khris Davis, Gregory Polanco / Util: Corey Dickerson, Kole Calhoun / Bench/DL: Joey Votto, Mark Trumbo, Joe Mauer
SP: Justin Verlander, Masahiro Tanaka, Alex Cobb, Scott Kazmir, Corey Kluber, Dallas Keuchel, Tim Hudson, Kyle Lohse /
RP: Trevor Rosenthal, David Robertson, Sean Doolittle / DL: Andrew Cashner

#20 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

Free Heaney!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users