103 replies to this topic

#1 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

NE paid this guy a decent amount of money, so they clearly see something in him. Dobson had foot surgery to repair a stress fracture (2-3 month recovery from early March), although TC & preseason will give us a much clearer picture on his health heading into the season. Let's also not forget that Dobson was pretty terrible last season and dropped pass after pass. He's no sure thing at all in my opinion.

LaFell is someone you can get really late, he has a legitimate shot of being the starting X WR for NE, should be in his prime (5th season, 28 in Nov), and just upgraded to a much better passing offense. 800 yd and 8 TD is not out of the question, especially if Gronk misses games to start the season.

#2 Winky

Winky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

LaFell presents nice possibilities as a Patriot.
800 yards seems right... only 125 yards more than a typical year in Carolina.
TDs are random, my guess is 8 would be his ceiling.

My gut tells me the Pats like the downfield blocking that LaFell brings to the table.
He drops his share of balls, so not sure that will play real well with Brady/Belichick.

Always liked LaFell's upside, but there's a lot of mouths to feed in NE.
He'll be roughly the same guy he's always been.
This post is rated "G".

#3 Ohwise1

Ohwise1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

LaFell presents nice possibilities as a Patriot.
800 yards seems right... only 125 yards more than a typical year in Carolina.
TDs are random, my guess is 8 would be his ceiling.

My gut tells me the Pats like the downfield blocking that LaFell brings to the table.
He drops his share of balls, so not sure that will play real well with Brady/Belichick.

Always liked LaFell's upside, but there's a lot of mouths to feed in NE.
He'll be roughly the same guy he's always been.

Fair assessment. I don't see him really separating himself from the other WRs. Unless injuries or he really separates himself I don't see him being very useful in fantasy. Edelman is the only guy I'm looking at, the rest seems to be a crapshoot. I see a rotation of Dobson thompkins Dola lafell, with vereen splitting out too. Too many mouths for my liking
  • petekrum likes this

#4 RyanksN

RyanksN

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

Surprised there isn't any talk on LaFell. Thinking he can be useful in deeper leagues...or at least a late round pick with some upside. Guess it depends on his role in NE. Any Pats fans care to chime in.
1.)CBS Auction Dynasty 5x5 Standard Roto (12 team)13 Keepers + 3 Minor League Keepers
$260 for 23 player (Also have 17 player bench not included in Auction Draft)
Batters (11) C(2)-Arencibia, Riuz $1 1st- Goldy $44, 2nd- Profar $9, 3rd- Sandavol $1, SS- Jeter $1, CI- Seager $7, MI- LaMeieu $1, OF(5)- J.Upton $26, Trout $61, C.Dickerson $5, Markakis $1, Castellanos $1 DH- Votto $37
BN - Y.Alonso $1, S.Genette $1, Ackley $1
Pitchers (4) SP(6)- , D.Keuchel $4, G.Cole $16, Teharan $15, Y.Ventura $1, D.Hutchenson $1, Pineda $1 RP(3)- T.Rosenthal $15, Hawkins $1, S.Casilla $2
BN - J.Paxton $1, D.Pomeranz $4, Tillman $5, M.Stroman $7, Rondon $1
Minors - J.Baez, K.Bryant,J.Pederson, J.Taillon, T.Glasnow, M.Wisler

2.)CBS Auction Dynasty Points League (12 team)10 Keepers + 2 Minor League Keepers
$300 for 18 players (Also have 12 player bench not included in Auction Draft)
Scoring: 1 pt = rbi, run, bb, sac, 2 pt= sb, 2.5 pt = dbl, 4 pt = hr, 5 pt = tpl, -1 =k
1 pt = IP, 2 pt = k, 3 pt = qs, hld, 4 pt = w, 5 pt = sv, 7.5 pt = cg, so, -1 pt = bb, er, -3 pts = loss
Batters (10) C- Weiters $22, 1st-F.Freeman $26, 2nd- Carpenter $11, 3rd- Arenado $11, SS- Jeter $1, OF(3)-McCutchens $50, W.Meyers $12, Gorden $7, DH (2)- A.Gon $22, Votto $49 BN-.A.Ram, Asdrubal, Cain, Pollock, Hansen, Seager, Soler
Pitchers (8) SP(5)- A.Wainwright $20, M.Scherzer $23, J.Zimmerman $17, M.Minor $12, Skaggs $1 RP(3)- S.Miller $12, A.Reed $2, A.Ogando $1 BN-.Miley $1, Paxton $9, E.Santana $12, Carrasco $8, A.Heaney $7

#5 Ol Blues

Ol Blues

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

Surprised there isn't any talk on LaFell. Thinking he can be useful in deeper leagues...or at least a late round pick with some upside. Guess it depends on his role in NE. Any Pats fans care to chime in.

Not a Pats fan, but I don't see it. I prefer Thompkins, Amendola, a healthy Dobson, and Edelman all over LaFell and since we haven't yet even mentioned the likely top 2 targets on this team, it means LaFell doesn't even reach rankability for me.

#6 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

He was very productive in two out of his three years with Cam Newton. Last year was a disappointment.

He never really put up the raw yardage that fantasy managers like though because he was always second fiddle to Steve Smith.

In terms of efficiency though -- 1,290 yards on 132 targets in 2011-12 -- he was excellent.

(I don't count 2010 -- his rookie year -- because he had Jimmy Clausen throwing to him)

And now he gets to play with Brady.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre, 16 August 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#7 raltherr

raltherr

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

LaFail is a bum with stone hands. He is a good down field blocker. But can't catch a cold.

#8 chpatte4

chpatte4

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

LaFail is a bum with stone hands. He is a good down field blocker. But can't catch a cold.

Lol I second this. I'm not expecting him to make the Pats final roster.

#9 FFCollusion

FFCollusion

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

I don't think he'll be fantasy relevant this year, but still here's a nice quick video of his 'stone hands'
http://dailysnark.co...joint-practice/
(Top Video)
  • screaming_vultures likes this
I do it for the likes...

#10 raltherr

raltherr

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

I don't think he'll be fantasy relevant this year, but still here's a nice quick video of his 'stone hands'
http://dailysnark.co...joint-practice/
(Top Video)

A blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. Just wait until it's 3rd down and he drops the ball. Pats fans are gonna rip their hair out.

#11 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:38 PM

You should check Thompkins' and Dobson's dropped pass %s from last year. Much higher than LaFell's. And they had Brady throwing to them.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre, 16 August 2014 - 06:38 PM.

• screaming_vultures likes this

#12 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:39 PM

And fwiw LaFell's dropped pass % in 2011 and 2012 was very low

#13 chpatte4

chpatte4

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:33 PM

I'd rather keep a backup kicker on my squad....let's stop wasting everyone's time fellas

#14 raltherr

raltherr

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:26 PM

And fwiw LaFell's dropped pass % in 2011 and 2012 was very low

It's not the amount of dropped passes that is the problem. It's when he drops them. You'll see. The hoodie will have him sitting on the bench next to Ridley.

#15 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,770 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:19 PM

You should check Thompkins' and Dobson's dropped pass %s from last year. Much higher than LaFell's. And they had Brady throwing to them.

Rookie WR numbers=grain of salt. I'm not really sold on "meh" outside WR with this older version of Brady for Fantasy value.

#16 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

Who will be the number two red zone target after Gronk? Size says it should be LaFell or Thompkins. I'm really having a tough time assessing the Pats wr corp.

#17 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,022 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:51 AM

He was very productive in two out of his three years with Cam Newton. Last year was a disappointment.

He never really put up the raw yardage that fantasy managers like though because he was always second fiddle to Steve Smith.

In terms of efficiency though -- 1,290 yards on 132 targets in 2011-12 -- he was excellent.

(I don't count 2010 -- his rookie year -- because he had Jimmy Clausen throwing to him)

And now he gets to play with Brady.

This is by far the most complimentary analysis of LaFell that I've seen since he's been a pro.

I liked him a lot coming into the league but he's a prototypical underachiever. I thought the move to New England could help him get his career on track but I've been hearing sone pretty negative reports out of camp. I'll probably be staying away.

#18 raltherr

raltherr

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

I told you he sucked. 6 targets, 0 catches. Bum.

#19 fletch44

fletch44

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:07 PM

Anyone speculating on Lafell after tonight's breakout game ?

#20 FantasyFiend

FantasyFiend

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:26 AM

Lafell the WR to grab for the week? Deciding...

Edited by RotoRaysfan, 30 September 2014 - 08:28 AM.
AC content removed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users