22 replies to this topic

#1 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

Just a fun little topic for the off-season.  

Tell me about the worst fantasy league you have ever been in.  Let's get the full gory details, how long it lasted, what was f'ed up about it.  Let it all out.

Here's mine to start it off...Let's see who can beat me.

I got roped into it last year from a friend...32 team initial start up dynasty league Auction league.  This league was without a doubt the biggest joke I have ever seen or heard of...Let's start.

1) League was set up like the NFL using real team names and divisions.  Instead of choosing teams in a logical way this league decides to auction all the teams off and make it mandatory that you bid, you couldn't just bid nothing and take last team available.  Even better the amount of money you spend on your team comes off your total salary cap and the amount you can bid in the draft(which was a total of $250)

2) Hard salary cap of $250.  At no point can you ever go over that amount which in theory is fine except for a few things.  Since most teams used their money on the draft there was no trading(I think 3 trades happened from Febuary to the end of the year) because no one could ever make the money work.  Each player rostered from year to year got a salary increase of $5.  Again, not unusual but in a full dynasty with no adjustable salary cap there is no way to really keep your better players so it turns into a keeper league that essentially has a round limit on it.

4) Since there was 32 teams in the league and at the time an unknown number of roster spots sitting down and doing a live draft was kind of unfeasable so it was set up as an auction with a 24 hour clock to allow everyone time to check the bids.  The only problem with this was that the clock reset after each bid(yes, the full 24 hours).  You have no idea how frustrating it is to take 7+ days to draft the top tier players.  The first player wasn't off the board until 9 days after the draft started.  Also was a ton of fun when a player would get down to about 4 minutes left on their clock and someone would reset it with a $1 bid...another 24 hours we go.  

3) This is my personal favorite...Rules were still being made and voted on DURING the draft.  Important rules that actually affect how you draft.  Examples of said rules, if there would be position limits or not,  How many roster spots would be available, you know little details like that.  I told the commish right after the draft that this league was a joke and I would only be playing the one year.

Found out today that he no longer wants to be commish anyway and he is cancelling the league just one year after it's inception...stellar dynasty league and a stellar job by the commish.  I've never seen more dysfunction in my life.

let's hear your leagues.

#2 Ddam2013

Ddam2013

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

In my favorite dynasty league we've had 10 of the same 12 owners since the inception of the league in 1991. This year after week 6 I was 3-3 and so was another owner, everyone in the league knew his team was overachieving (except for him) so I offered him my first and second round picks for his first round pick. He accepted and the league voted on it like we always do and it passed but the commissioner refused to put it through because he felt the deal was lopsided. So all the owners complain and we voted him out as commissioner for abusing his power, so when he hears about this we all get locked out of the league by the him for two weeks. When we come back his team has went 2-0 and he edited all the other teams records so it said we all went 0-2 and his reasoning was because we weren't able to set our lineups or take care of our teams we shouldn't be credited with wins. The only silver lining is I ended up winning the league and after we made him step down as commissioner my trade went through and I ended up with the 3rd pick instead of the 12th.
Winning gold is simple, you just have to be the best in the world at it.

#3 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

I lost.

#4 lolcopter

lolcopter

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

View PostDdam2013, on 05 April 2014 - 11:28 PM, said:

In my favorite dynasty league we've had 10 of the same 12 owners since the inception of the league in 1991. This year after week 6 I was 3-3 and so was another owner, everyone in the league knew his team was overachieving (except for him) so I offered him my first and second round picks for his first round pick. He accepted and the league voted on it like we always do and it passed but the commissioner refused to put it through because he felt the deal was lopsided. So all the owners complain and we voted him out as commissioner for abusing his power, so when he hears about this we all get locked out of the league by the him for two weeks. When we come back his team has went 2-0 and he edited all the other teams records so it said we all went 0-2 and his reasoning was because we weren't able to set our lineups or take care of our teams we shouldn't be credited with wins. The only silver lining is I ended up winning the league and after we made him step down as commissioner my trade went through and I ended up with the 3rd pick instead of the 12th.

what a prick

#5 ToO_BaD

ToO_BaD

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,254 posts
  • Interests:SF GIANTS, Niners, Warriors

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

My worst league was a league I joined to help out a friend fill the last spot.  It was an 8-man (already looking bad) redraft with only three bench spots and it was completely auto-drafted.  Terrible when I would basically have  to unload my bench or take a loss during byes.  Basically had great talent constantly on the WW with no way to pick them up.  Didn't really ever pay attention the entire two years I was in the league.
"Any Given Pick Napa" 12-team Non-ppr Keeper League - Custom Scoring *2009, 2012, 2013 Champion*
2014 Keepers (Julio Jones, Josh Gordon, FJax)

#6 GreatScott!

GreatScott!

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:34 AM

View PostGottaGetTheWin, on 05 April 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

Just a fun little topic for the off-season.  

Tell me about the worst fantasy league you have ever been in.  Let's get the full gory details, how long it lasted, what was f'ed up about it.  Let it all out.

Here's mine to start it off...Let's see who can beat me.

I got roped into it last year from a friend...32 team initial start up dynasty league Auction league.  This league was without a doubt the biggest joke I have ever seen or heard of...Let's start.

1) League was set up like the NFL using real team names and divisions.  Instead of choosing teams in a logical way this league decides to auction all the teams off and make it mandatory that you bid, you couldn't just bid nothing and take last team available.  Even better the amount of money you spend on your team comes off your total salary cap and the amount you can bid in the draft(which was a total of $250)

2) Hard salary cap of $250.  At no point can you ever go over that amount which in theory is fine except for a few things.  Since most teams used their money on the draft there was no trading(I think 3 trades happened from Febuary to the end of the year) because no one could ever make the money work.  Each player rostered from year to year got a salary increase of $5.  Again, not unusual but in a full dynasty with no adjustable salary cap there is no way to really keep your better players so it turns into a keeper league that essentially has a round limit on it.

4) Since there was 32 teams in the league and at the time an unknown number of roster spots sitting down and doing a live draft was kind of unfeasable so it was set up as an auction with a 24 hour clock to allow everyone time to check the bids.  The only problem with this was that the clock reset after each bid(yes, the full 24 hours).  You have no idea how frustrating it is to take 7+ days to draft the top tier players.  The first player wasn't off the board until 9 days after the draft started.  Also was a ton of fun when a player would get down to about 4 minutes left on their clock and someone would reset it with a $1 bid...another 24 hours we go.  

3) This is my personal favorite...Rules were still being made and voted on DURING the draft.  Important rules that actually affect how you draft.  Examples of said rules, if there would be position limits or not,  How many roster spots would be available, you know little details like that.  I told the commish right after the draft that this league was a joke and I would only be playing the one year.

Found out today that he no longer wants to be commish anyway and he is cancelling the league just one year after it's inception...stellar dynasty league and a stellar job by the commish.  I've never seen more dysfunction in my life.

let's hear your leagues.

Ok, that has to be the worst league set up ever.
Da Bears!

#7 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

The first year I commished I was foolish enough to ask for suggestions for scoring settings. In the interest of creating good will in a new league, I implemented way too many of these suggestions. And what I didn't understand was that a bonus for a 20 yard run or reception would not be circumscribed by a bonus for a 30 yard run or reception, but added to the total. What followed was a high frequency of 10, 20, 30 point plays. One guy called it "14 year old boy" settings. I've been opposed to all bonuses ever since. The league has survived six more years--without any bonuses whatsoever.
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#8 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

View PostProteus, on 12 April 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

The first year I commished I was foolish enough to ask for suggestions for scoring settings. In the interest of creating good will in a new league, I implemented way too many of these suggestions. And what I didn't understand was that a bonus for a 20 yard run or reception would not be circumscribed by a bonus for a 30 yard run or reception, but added to the total. What followed was a high frequency of 10, 20, 30 point plays. One guy called it "14 year old boy" settings. I've been opposed to all bonuses ever since. The league has survived six more years--without any bonuses whatsoever.

Completely agree, I hate bonus leagues. I've never understood people's need to gimmick up leagues.
The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

#9 FantasyDominion

FantasyDominion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:23 PM

Probably my favorite league due to circumstances... League ran 7 years... Commish is a hot head know it all and I LOVE kicking his butt...
Numerous rule changes at his whim... Also league has some bad players which he takes advantage of in lopsided trades... He controls all trades... He will vetoes trades if they aren't to his liking which are basically if it helps his true competition...

I won first two season of league... Then AFTER we drafted he decided to tell us a all he was changing it to a keeper league...we all argued and told him this obviously influences are picks (he didn't care since he drafted knowing this)... He also would change keeper rules and draft rules including number of keepers we could keep every season depending on how good or bad his team was... Basically if he had 7 studs it was 7 keepers... If he only liked 2-3 of his players it was only 2-3 keepers...

Well after winning years 1 & 2 I got 2nd in year 3... (Was undefeated and lost in championship because my players were sat week 17)... I then won year 4, 5, 6... Year 7 i get replaced because "he wasn't sure I wanted to play" never mind I was most active in league out of everyone... And was most hardcore fantasy player by far and had even emailed and asked him when he was planning on starting he league...

Oh and forgot he tried kicking me out in year 4 too but too many people complained then... No big loss he probably got sick of losing...

#10 TheToeStompers

TheToeStompers

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

A buddy talked me into joining a league he was in with some people from his work.  The Commish decided to change the scoring after the draft and locked out everyone who complained about it.  Not sure how much fun that league could have been for him, before opening day 4 of 12 teams (including mine)  were locked, un-managed, and stayed that way all season.

#11 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

On yahoo I have seen things like points for completion, pass attempt or rush attempt and points for just catching the ball so that 2 catches for 5 yards each is as vauleuable as a moving the chains 20 yards. So stupid

#12 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:28 PM

Was in a league 5 years ago on Yahoo. Commish was horrible. First he adjusted settings after the draft, and made QBS have no value. It was at the point where 300 passing yards and 3 TD was equal to 80 rush yards. It was also a 2 QB league, and of course I drafted 2 high QBs. But this isn't the worst part.

Every week if you looked at the transactions for some reason the commish would lock and unlock 5 settings for everyone for a second every week so it created like 100 extra lines of transactions each week. It took us about a month to realize he did this to cover up that he was literally editing his lineup after each week to put his optimal lineup in and score the most points possible. Then maybe even worse was that I ended up winning the league, but the commish just gave everyone money back because he cheated, even though he still missed playoffs. Did this basically so he got his own money back, and put it to a vote and everyone that lost voted for money back so he did it.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#13 mrjoshc

mrjoshc

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

View PostSidearmer, on 16 April 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

but the commish just gave everyone money back because he cheated, even though he still missed playoffs. Did this basically so he got his own money back, and put it to a vote and everyone that lost voted for money back so he did it.

haha, I got a chuckle out of this. It's totally messed up but pretty dang clever.

#14 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Interests:The Ohio State University, fantasy football junkie, baseball

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

I'm not sure if this fits the mold, but I'm currently playing in a league I'm not a fan of. I won 2 years ago and I currently hold the league trophy. The commish believes it should be given at the end of the season instead of at our party at the beginning of the season. Thoughts?

#15 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:59 PM

View Postbuckeyestilidie, on 19 April 2014 - 11:08 AM, said:

I'm not sure if this fits the mold, but I'm currently playing in a league I'm not a fan of. I won 2 years ago and I currently hold the league trophy. The commish believes it should be given at the end of the season instead of at our party at the beginning of the season. Thoughts?

I'm not understanding what your saying really but I would give the trophy to the winner at the end of championship week and then the champ gives it back at the draft.

#16 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:00 PM

Was in a league 5 years ago on Yahoo. Commish was horrible. First he adjusted settings after the draft, and made QBS have no value. It was at the point where 300 passing yards and 3 TD was equal to 80 rush yards. It was also a 2 QB league, and of course I drafted 2 high QBs. But this isn't the worst part.

Every week if you looked at the transactions for some reason the commish would lock and unlock 5 settings for everyone for a second every week so it created like 100 extra lines of transactions each week. It took us about a month to realize he did this to cover up that he was literally editing his lineup after each week to put his optimal lineup in and score the most points possible. Then maybe even worse was that I ended up winning the league, but the commish just gave everyone money back because he cheated, even though he still missed playoffs. Did this basically so he got his own money back, and put it to a vote and everyone that lost voted for money back so he did it.
]]

Wow this is rough.

#17 Dreams And Dwightmares

Dreams And Dwightmares

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

Wow, yalls stories are awesome.  Really sorry for a couple of you, hardcore screwed it sounds like.

My worst was my year 1 of fantasy football FOR MONEY.  It was a $100 league and I was just out of high school and poor so it was a huge investment for me at the time.  I busted my a**, made solid moves, and made it to the championship game!  I lost a close one, it hurt, but whatever...

I go to get paid, 2nd place was $300, there you go.  Come to find out the commish was a loser and blew all the money on pot and rent after losing his job.  I ended up getting $75 of the $300.  First place got about $300 of his $750 and 3rd place (surprise, surprise) got their full amount ($150).  Of course the 3rd place team was the commish.  This guy was a friend so, although I really wanted to kick his A and take my money, I didn't.  We all decided to just kick him out of the league and make me commish.

In my 4 years as active commish I have never gotten 1st, 2nd, or 3rd and thus have never gotten paid... Wah Wah Wah...

(I do win my other high pay league frequently though FWIW)

View PostGains, on 16 April 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:

On yahoo I have seen things like points for completion, pass attempt or rush attempt and points for just catching the ball so that 2 catches for 5 yards each is as vauleuable as a moving the chains 20 yards. So stupid

You mean PPR?  Hardly stupid bro.

In my league the trophy used to always change hands at the draft the following season, but we voted 2 years ago that it simply made no sense.  During that whole offseason the winner is the champion, and a loser shouldn't be holding the champion's trophy.  We now make the previous year's winner get the new champions name engraved on the trophy immediately after the championship game then we have a small ceremony at draft day when all 12 people get together for the "passing of the torch".

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares, 23 April 2014 - 08:52 AM.

2014 represents the year I go back to back champion for the first time in my FF career.

#18 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

View PostGottaGetTheWin, on 22 April 2014 - 10:59 PM, said:

I'm not understanding what your saying really but I would give the trophy to the winner at the end of championship week and then the champ gives it back at the draft.

That's the joke ( insert Mcbain meme here)

#19 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

This guy deserves public shaming of the world wide web variety.
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#20 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

The man cheats that much and can't even make the feakin playoffs ????? Not sure is Srs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users