#1 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

From a Writeup Today:

There is no correlation between Wonderlic scores and NFL success, and we're not even convinced they factor much into NFL teams' evaluations anymore, but people always seem to be interested in them

It might be true that there is no correlation between a high Wonderlic score and success as a Quarterback, but I would bet there is a correlation between low scores and failure.

Scoring under a 15 probably indicates a QB is more likely to fail. Has any QB ever scored under 10 and been successful in the NFL?

#2 Komfy

Komfy

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

Rotoworld's blurb:
Blake Bortles scored 28. There is no correlation between Wonderlic scores and NFL success, and we're not even convinced they factor much into NFL teams' evaluations anymore, but people always seem to be interested in them. For some perspective, Andrew Luck scored a 37 before the 2012 draft. Geno Smith scored a 24 last year. Blaine Gabbert scored 42. Christian Ponder scored 35. Colin Kaepernick scored 37, and Ben Roethlisberger scored a 25.

I like how they put Kaepernick and Roethlisberger together at the end. Coincidence?

#3 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

Rotoworld's blurb:
Blake Bortles scored 28. There is no correlation between Wonderlic scores and NFL success, and we're not even convinced they factor much into NFL teams' evaluations anymore, but people always seem to be interested in them. For some perspective, Andrew Luck scored a 37 before the 2012 draft. Geno Smith scored a 24 last year. Blaine Gabbert scored 42. Christian Ponder scored 35. Colin Kaepernick scored 37, and Ben Roethlisberger scored a 25.

I like how they put Kaepernick and Roethlisberger together at the end. Coincidence?

Haha I didn't even notice but that is pretty slick.

#4 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

Didn't Vince Young score something like a 7? He and Chris Johnson had to be the dumbest QB/RB combo in league history.
The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

#5 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

Fitz did great .....not like that helped him much

Rumor is Pryor got a Vince young like score

Not surprised rbs tend to score low

#6 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

Fitz did great .....not like that helped him much

Yeah, high scores don't mean you will be successful, but do very low scores correlate with failure at the QB position? It looks like it, which it part of why the wonderlic is valuable.

#7 Ddam2013

Ddam2013

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:11 PM

Well my work gave us the wondelic and I got a 42 so I can clearly be an NFL QB. I know Tavon and AJ Green did absolutely terrible on theirs (~7 I think) and they seem to be doing pretty good in the NFL. It doesn't have any correlation either positively or negatively but I guess I would prefer if the people in my fantasy team were smart but I don't really care.
Edit: Going into last year Gabbert had the highest wonderlic score of any starting QB at 42/50 so that proves that it is useless.
http://www.reddit.co...ms_starting_qb/

Edited by Ddam2013, 11 April 2014 - 06:16 PM.

Winning gold is simple, you just have to be the best in the world at it.

#8 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

Well my work gave us the wondelic and I got a 42 so I can clearly be an NFL QB. I know Tavon and AJ Green did absolutely terrible on theirs (~7 I think) and they seem to be doing pretty good in the NFL. It doesn't have any correlation either positively or negatively but I guess I would prefer if the people in my fantasy team were smart but I don't really care.
Edit: Going into last year Gabbert had the highest wonderlic score of any starting QB at 42/50 so that proves that it is useless.

It is hard to believe someone could score that high on the wonderlic but still not be able to understand what was a very simple argument that had nothing to do with high scores turning out better nfl players.

Edited by Iron-cock, 11 April 2014 - 06:42 PM.

• mverkruyse, FFCollusion and Dreams And Dwightmares like this

#9 GreatScott!

GreatScott!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:34 AM

I know that Donavan McNabb scored a 14 and he, of course, went on to have a very nice career. I believe Jim Kelly and Steve McNair also scored 15. So at least for those 3 it didn't seem to matter the score. But it would be interesting to find out how the majority of NFL QB's did if they scored less than 20 on the test. We can easily see the high score doesn't necessarily predict a great QB. With the 3 examples I just gave it would appear a lower score doesn't necessarily matter either, but of course those could be the only 3 out of 1,000 QB's to be sucessful with a lower score. Maybe someone at Rotoworld could do some research on this? :P
10 Team Redraft 1 point PPR League 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE , 1 Flex, 1 DST, 1 K

QB - Matthew Stafford
QB - Tony Romo
RB - Andre Ellington
RB - Ryan Matthews
RB - Shane Vereen
RB - Mark Ingram
RB - Isaiah Crowell
RB - Fred Jackson
RB - Latavius Murray
WR - AJ Green
WR - Dez Bryant
WR - Kelvin Benjamin
WR - Marques Colston
WR - Odell Beckham Jr
TE - Jason Witten
D/ST - Texans
K - Dan Bailey

#10 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:50 AM

He clearly cheated
It is hard to believe someone could score that high on the wonderlic but still not be able to understand what was a very simple argument that had nothing to do with high scores turning out better nfl players.

#11 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:50 AM

He clearly cheated

#12 Kobe_No_Means_No

Kobe_No_Means_No

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

I wonder if there's a correlation between Wonderlic scores and crime. Herenandez, Vick, Ray Lewis all had low scores.

#13 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,422 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

Didn't Vince Young score something like a 7? He and Chris Johnson had to be the dumbest QB/RB combo in league history.

Dan Marino scored a 15, Terry Bradshaw a 16. There isn't much correlation b/w Wonderlic scores and success......Ryan Fitzpatrick scored a 48 on the high end....

For all players, Frank Gore scored a 6 and Morris Claiborne (who has been a bust thus far) scored a 4.
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#14 Doctor L

Doctor L

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

Nothing like evaluating NFL talent by doing a Wonderlic test.

#15 airtommy

airtommy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

I know that Donavan McNabb scored a 14 and he, of course, went on to have a very nice career.

It wasn't a great career. He was good but not great when young.

When he had to learn a new offense at Washington the results were ugly, even though he had a ton of NFL experience at that point.

#16 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:25 AM

I know that Donavan McNabb scored a 14 and he, of course, went on to have a very nice career.

When he had to learn a new offense at Washington the results were ugly, even though he had a ton of NFL experience at that point.

He was shot by the time he got to Washington. His lack of success there had nothing to do with not being able to learn the offense.
  • GreatScott! and Dreams And Dwightmares like this
The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

#17 GreatScott!

GreatScott!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

He was shot by the time he got to Washington. His lack of success there had nothing to do with not being able to learn the offense.

McNabb ranks #17 all time in passing yards and #22 in both passing TD's and passer rating. That seems like a very nice career to me. And I agree that by time he got to Washington he was done. Maybe learning the offense had something to do with it, but I think his failures had more to do with his pysical well being.
10 Team Redraft 1 point PPR League 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE , 1 Flex, 1 DST, 1 K

QB - Matthew Stafford
QB - Tony Romo
RB - Andre Ellington
RB - Ryan Matthews
RB - Shane Vereen
RB - Mark Ingram
RB - Isaiah Crowell
RB - Fred Jackson
RB - Latavius Murray
WR - AJ Green
WR - Dez Bryant
WR - Kelvin Benjamin
WR - Marques Colston
WR - Odell Beckham Jr
TE - Jason Witten
D/ST - Texans
K - Dan Bailey

#18 youngrice

youngrice

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:05 AM

McNabb ranks #17 all time in passing yards and #22 in both passing TD's and passer rating. That seems like a very nice career to me. And I agree that by time he got to Washington he was done. Maybe learning the offense had something to do with it, but I think his failures had more to do with his pysical well being.

Pretty impressive numbers to me. Especially when you consider besides his 3 and half years with TO and Djax he was throwing to second rate talent. Also I agree he was shot by the time he got to Wash.

#19 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

I agree McNabb had a nice (I'd say great) career. It seems like around 15 is the lowest a NFL QB scores and has success. We never really see the extremely low scores we see at RB/WR/CB.

I believe Jim Kelly and Steve McNair also scored 15. So at least for those 3 it didn't seem to matter the score. But it would be interesting to find out how the majority of NFL QB's did if they scored less than 20 on the test.

Yeah, like you mentioned later in your post it's really hard to tell since we don't have an official list of every QB score ever. We can pick out individual ones that were leaked (Jeff George scored a 10!) but unless we have a full list we never know how many no-name QB's failed (or succeeded) with a score like that.

We can easily see the high score doesn't necessarily predict a great QB.

I've read that GM's and Scouts don't like really high or low scores for a QB. An excessively low score shows a lack of effort, or some type of deficiency. The reason for excessively high scores being bad was the idea that a person like that might be more likely to question authority and probably have different career paths open to them

#20 Iron-cock

Iron-cock

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

One supposed QB Drafting formula that uses the wonderlic.

http://www.dailynors...959780/26-27-60

26-27-60

The formula represents the prospects Wonderlic Score (26 is minimum passing score), number of games started and his career completion percentage.

It's a pretty compelling arguement. I will highlight some of the findings after the jump.

Since 1998, these are some of the NFL quarterbacks who aced all three parts of the Rule of 26-27-60: Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Matt Schaub, Kyle Orton, Kevin Kolb, Matt Ryan, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Stafford.

(More at the link)

Edited by Iron-cock, 14 April 2014 - 08:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users