60 replies to this topic

#1 mavsfan23

mavsfan23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:33 AM

Hopefully I didn't miss a thread for this already, but I went over the miscellaneous thread page a few times. I'd imagine most are in agreement that replay sucks. It did for football, and in my opinion is even worse for baseball.

I'm probably a little biased, but the one that really got me going was the call at the plate in the Texas game today. Bases loaded, ball hit back to the pitcher who comes home with it thinking they'll get the double play. Arencibia bobbled the ball on the transfer after coming off home plate, which apparently by the rules doesn't constitute an out. It was initially called an out, then later overturned. My problem with that is that had Arencibia known that catching the ball while on home plate would not get the out, he would have had plenty of time to tag the runner since he obviously had possession of the ball.

The thing that seems really inconsistent is that when reviewing a safe/out call on a force play the rule is that the defensive player has "possession" as soon as the ball hits the glove.

Yeah, that might belong in the vent/rant thread, but this was intended to be a thread to discuss replay in general and that play just happened to be the one to piss me off.

When do we start the petition to get rid of replay?

Edited by mavsfan23, 15 April 2014 - 04:35 AM.

Baseball can't get here fast enough

#2 dromag67

dromag67

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:24 AM

Yeah ive seen this during an Indians game. This play will make A LOT of teams mad before this season is over.

#3 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

It does suck.  They are still getting calls wrong.
www. drafttracker.net

#4 spaghetti

spaghetti

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

Replays are not the problem. Although they are still getting calls wrong, which is mind-boggling when replay shows otherwise, the main issue is the interpretations of the ball transfer and the collisions rules. They need to be revised.

Here are more examples of the ridiculous ball transfer rule:
http://www.fangraphs...all-on-purpose/

I don't know why MLB wants to follow the NFL and need to redefine a catch that now includes a clean transfer of the ball.
The Megatron 'catch' was a touchdown.

#5 oswald737

oswald737

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:00 AM

Firstly, it will obviously get better. NFL replay had similar issues with how catches are measured (Calvin Johnson in the end zone).

Second, they need to adjust the catch rule as is. It's convoluted.

Finally, get rid of the manager challenges and leave it to the war room to buzz the head umpire. Managers walking out to stall until they get an answer from their video staff is silly.

#6 billydough

billydough

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:07 AM

It sucks.

Let's be honest, baseball is a slow paced game as it is.

Start adding these replay timeouts and it almost makes it unwatchable.
"Democracy is the pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - HL Mencken

#7 billydough

billydough

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

View Postoswald737, on 15 April 2014 - 09:00 AM, said:

Firstly, it will obviously get better. NFL replay had similar issues with how catches are measured (Calvin Johnson in the end zone).

Finally, get rid of the manager challenges and leave it to the war room to buzz the head umpire. Managers walking out to stall until they get an answer from their video staff is silly.

Not sure how NFL replay has gotten better. Better than when exactly?

I'd rather have blown real time calls and live with it rather than watching them overturn obvious catches due to some idiotic interpretation of what constitutes a "football move" by some panel of old white guys who probably never played football, let alone at the level of these world class athletes.
"Democracy is the pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - HL Mencken

#8 hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

I watched the Armando Galarraga live. I support Instant Replay.

Just because Instant Replay wasn't used back when your grand paps played, doesn't mean we shouldn't use it now. Is instant replay going to have a 100% success rate? No.... but more calls are going to be corrected than before and I am all for that.

The most ridiculous argument comes from those complaining about adding time to an already long sporting event. Really? The average review lasts under 2 minutes. Is that really something to cry about? Heck, if the game is too long, why not get rid of mound visits? A lot of times, mound visits are done for the sole purpose of stalling and giving time to the bullpen arms to get loose. Complain about those. Complain about batters/pitchers calling timeout. Complain about teams throwing the ball around the horn. Complain about pick-off attempts. Complain about warmup pitches between innings. Complain about the 7 inning stretch. Complain about the countless other things in baseball that take more than two minutes.

#9 hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

View Postbillydough, on 15 April 2014 - 09:10 AM, said:

View Postoswald737, on 15 April 2014 - 09:00 AM, said:

Not sure how NFL replay has gotten better. Better than when exactly?

I'd rather have blown real time calls and live with it rather than watching them overturn obvious catches due to some idiotic interpretation of what constitutes a "football move" by some panel of old white guys who probably never played football, let alone at the level of these world class athletes.

Is this post serious? If the panel consisted of old black guys that had played football, it would make things all better?

"You never played the sport professionally, therefor you must not know the game as well as professional athletes." This is another insane comment that I hear from time to time. Thankfully, every time it is brought up in the national media it gets shot down. I have a close "world class athlete" and is a member of the New York Jets. It is almost shocking to hear how elementary his Football 101 knowledge is. Is he a freak of an athlete? Yes. Does he possess a world-class level of size/athleticism? Sure. Is he the guy that should be defining the rules of the NFL and how they are interpreted? Absolutely not.

Edited by hailtoyourvictor, 15 April 2014 - 10:53 AM.

#10 SurlyRobot

SurlyRobot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

View Postspaghetti, on 15 April 2014 - 08:10 AM, said:

Replays are not the problem. Although they are still getting calls wrong, which is mind-boggling when replay shows otherwise, the main issue is the interpretations of the ball transfer and the collisions rules. They are completely retarded and need to be revised.

Here are more examples of the ridiculous ball transfer rule:
http://www.fangraphs...all-on-purpose/

I don't know why MLB wants to follow the NFL and need to redefine a catch that now includes a clean transfer of the ball.
The Megatron 'catch' was a touchdown.
Interesting article, I was wondering about this rule when Kurt Suzuki dropped a foul tip he had caught while transferring it to throw it around the horn and the A's had challenged it but for whatever reason the umpires upheld the out call on the field. I think baseball had the right intentions with trying to improve the umpiring, but the implementation is completely laughable. Hailtoyourvictor nails it for me, if they're going to waste so much time doing other BS during the games then who cares if a little extra time is added to get the calls correct?

#11 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,852 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

There are still kinks they are working out.  In the long run they it will probably be great for the game, in the short term its been a bit of a s*** show.  Red Sox got hosed a few times this past weekend but I am sure with TLR having his hand in the reply system that it won't be this bad for long.

#12 mpbaseball22

mpbaseball22

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

Instant replay is a MUST.

But, i think it does need a lot of work. Not a fan of the manager taking forever to walk out just to get a thumbs up sign. Also, if the replay official uses different views then what is shown on tv i feel like those should be the ones shown
16 Team Dynasty with Milb rosters (40 man mlb, 35 man milb) 15 start limit
McCatchin Trout
C: Posey
1B: Lind
2B: Kipnis
3B: Alvarez
SS: Hardy
IF: Asdrubal
OF: McCutchen, Trout, Beltran, Gattis
U: Harrison, Moustakas, Dietrich
Bench: Chris Young, Ruf, Eduardo Escobar, Valencia, Freiman, Reimold

SP: Gio, Zimmerman, Kazmir, Cashner, Holland, Simon, Kennedy, Duffy, Morton, Hutchison, McCarthy, Miguel Gonzalez, Feldman
RP: Holland, Rosenthal, Melancon, Doolittle, Ramos, Santos, Cecil, Frieri, Oviedo, Giles, Andrew Bailey

Notable prospects (35 man rosters):
Bundy, Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, Dahl, Heredia, Alcantra, Mike Montgomery, Law, Kevin Franklin, Brian Ragira, Joan Gregorio, Pat Light, Heathcott, Jacobs, Adalberto Mejia, Daniel Palka, Aderlin Rodriguez, Erick Leal, Aaron Slegers, Brandon Cumpton, Jake Lamb, Lambo, Vaughn Bryan, Adam Brett Walker, Scott Carroll, Lorenzen, Voth, Walters, Wendle, Mella, Lugo, Jose Dominguez, Ken Giles, Jefry Rodriguez, Franmil Reyes

#13 GChicago

GChicago

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

I think they should institute a rule that states if the manager leaves the dugout to question a call, he has X seconds to challenge the call or it is no longer an option.  Arguing for 3 minutes while someone is getting a definitive look upstairs, and then challenging is what is really gonna slow down the game.
12 Team PPR League
QB: Stafford, T. Pryor
RB: T. Richardson, R. Bush, E. Lacy, B. Tate, Z. Stacy
WR: W. Welker, V. Cruz, E. Sanders, H. Douglas
TE: M. Bennet
K:  M. Prater
Def: Baltimore

#14 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

View Posthailtoyourvictor, on 15 April 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

Just because Instant Replay wasn't used back when your grand paps played, doesn't mean we shouldn't use it now. Is instant replay going to have a 100% success rate? No.... but more calls are going to be corrected than before and I am all for that.

The most ridiculous argument comes from those complaining about adding time to an already long sporting event. Really? The average review lasts under 2 minutes. Is that really something to cry about? Heck, if the game is too long, why not get rid of mound visits? A lot of times, mound visits are done for the sole purpose of stalling and giving time to the bullpen arms to get loose. Complain about those. Complain about batters/pitchers calling timeout. Complain about teams throwing the ball around the horn. Complain about pick-off attempts. Complain about warmup pitches between innings. Complain about the 7 inning stretch. Complain about the countless other things in baseball that take more than two minutes.

I say let us complain about time between pitches AND instant replay.  (The other stuff takes no time).

I'm for a modified form of replay but this stuff is ridiculous.  Replay is blowing calls just like umps do but without the fun of managers stomping on their caps and kicking dirt over home plate.  I say if we have a delay let it be for managers hurling bases into the outfield and not this dull stuff.

Give managers one challenge per week and then it will only be used for some important call like the Armando Galarraga no hitter that umpire blew couple of seasons back.  That is what it should be for.  Not all this ticky tacky stuff.  Cause this is a game, not life and death.  It isn't suppose to be perfect.  It is suppose to be an entertainment, not an exercise in watching paint dry.  Blown calls average out between teams over a season anyway.

Maybe up the number of challenges allowed from one per week to more for the last few weeks of the season and the playoffs but this is just plan anal right now.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory, 15 April 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#15 hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

Pick-off attempts don't take time?
An extended break (7th inning stretch) doesn't take time?

Everything I listed adds extended time to the game.

#16 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

I like how they at least don't get on the mic and say "Upon further review, the first baseman caught the ball before the runner touched 1st base therefore...."

Thank god they don't do that.

#17 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

View Posthailtoyourvictor, on 15 April 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

Pick-off attempts are a legit aspect of the game.  Not a stoppage.  A 7th inning stretch is during commercial break when I get an extra few seconds of viewing some show I hit while channel surfing between innings.

#18 hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostThe Big Bat Theory, on 15 April 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

Give managers one challenge per week and then it will only be used for some important call like the Armando Galarraga no hitter that umpire blew couple of seasons back.  That is what it should be for.  Not all this ticky tacky stuff.  Cause this is a game, not life and death.  It isn't suppose to be perfect.  It is suppose to be an entertainment, not an exercise in watching paint dry.  Blown calls average out between teams over a season anyway.

Tell that to the professionals who play the game for a living. If I'm a journeyman AAA pitcher who is making my first big league appearance, I give up a hit that was obviously blown and either an out or a foul ball, then go on to blow the game when the inning should have been over, I may very well be out a substantial amount of money due to Instant Replay not being utilized.

There are an infinite amount of hypothetical situations you can come up with that make baseball much more than just a game. For you, it may me just a game and blown call may not effect you in the slightest. For others, it most certainly is more than simply a form of entertainment. This isn't Vince McMahon and the WWE.

#19 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

View Posthailtoyourvictor, on 15 April 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

View PostThe Big Bat Theory, on 15 April 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

Tell that to the professionals who play the game for a living. If I'm a journeyman AAA pitcher who is making my first big league appearance, I give up a hit that was obviously blown and either an out or a foul ball, then go on to blow the game when the inning should have been over, I may very well be out a substantial amount of money due to Instant Replay not being utilized.

Who cares.  People working at other jobs don't get instant replay to stop their boss yelling at them for an alleged mistake that wasn't really a mistake.  Suck it up.  I just plain don't care for baseball being turned into life and death brain surgery.

#20 hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostThe Big Bat Theory, on 15 April 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

View Posthailtoyourvictor, on 15 April 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

Pick-off attempts are a legit aspect of the game.  Not a stoppage.  A 7th inning stretch is during commercial break when I get an extra few seconds of viewing some show I hit while channel surfing between innings.

So extended stoppages are okay as long as it is convenient for you? Good, objective, argument.

If you think that players should be awarded Home Runs despite the ball being foul, fine. I'd rather utilize the technology we have and cut down the % of wrong calls, even if it takes ...*gasp*... 2 minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users